• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst game that has stolen 40+ hours of your life?

Vandole

Final Fantasy X. The characters were all cliches and I kept waiting for the game to open up so I could explore the overworld....yeah that never happened.

91fxwMUFKrL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The combat was pretty fun but everything else about it was so bad, specially the story and characters, shit was like anime cringe turned up to 11.
I would say Star Ocean V is worse... way worse. I still does the I PUSH THEM OVER THE EDGE meme

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sometimes we see these negative Steam reviews with hundreds of hours spent playing a game. Those reviews are funny, but it got me thinking. Have you ever just kept playing a game you didn't like for 40+ hours because you felt like you had to finish it? The one that really sticks out to me is:

Final Fantasy XII

VObCnIO.png

It's a turd of a game that for some reason ate up over 80 hours of my life. I just kept it playing it because I was determined to kill all the giant tortoises. The game had no soul and told one of the worst Final Fantasy stories in the franchise's history complete with a cast of idiots. Fortunately, Lost Odyssey came out fairly soon after and gave me my Gooch fix.

SAME! Came in here to post FF12 and laughed when I saw the OP

Me and my friend rushed to best buy to get it and came home and played and played and played with sad looks on our faces its like we didn't want to admit how bad it was lol

I ended up selling my copy my friend hate finished his lmao

RoboFu

One of the green rats
40 hours? Easily titan battle in FF16 … what a long draw out pos. 😪

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Ryu Ga Gotoku 0: Chikai No Basyo (Japanese Ver.)

One of the most overrated pieces of junk i have ever played, i went into this game with a lot of hype because of the cringe and huge praise this series and "game" in particular have.
Turns out the game sucked, its gameplay, its quests, its story, its world, i didnt enjoy it at all, its a game with a lot of cutscenes but a lot of them are junk, a game with a lot of combat but it has some of the worst combat in a game, a game with a lot of substories with most of them being meaningless pranks, a world that looks fun and cool af, only to be noninteractive and repetitive with generic minigames, story that has a good premise that hooked me in only to fall apart after chapter 6 and all the way towards the end, characters who are stylish af only to be reduced to cringe posing to fit twitter memes that weebs post, i dont know i guess i was hyped for it and it didnt meet my expectations, but you cant fault me when this game gets showered with undeserved praise!! it really doesnt deserve all the praise it gets, and the ones who praise it so much are not journalists or youtubers, its mostly gamers.
I eventually finished it all, and i also played other games in the series under the hope that it will get better, but it didnt, the studio RGG is basically Ubisoft:Japan, the games stayed the same, only one time they changed it to turn based.

Yeah i dont like this game, there are worse games than it, but this one i completely finished and even went back to it several times to try and appreciate it, to no avail. I guess im a hater lol.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Did you think it was bad, or are you just saying it's the worst game you spent 40 hours in.

Also... How did you spend 40 hours in this game?
Well, I took the approach of good ‘bad’ rather than just bad ‘bad’ game.

If you spend 40 hours on something, it has to be doing something right.

And I spent that time mainly jumping off buildings and shooting people in the nuts.

Flutta

Banned
Skyrim, what a dud. Shit was so bad that i wasted even more time trying to ”fix” it with mods in the Hope it will become playable…. to my surprise it never did and all those damn mods crashed the game in the end so yesh i gave up on it.

Absolute garbage, all of it!!!

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I never spent that much time with a game I ultimately disliked, I'd just bail on the game much earlier. Closest thing would probably be ~25 hours with TLoU2. I platinumed it, search every nook and cranny and still hated the overall experience.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

FF16. I enjoyed maybe the first few hours and parts of the Dion ark but most of it was a complete slog and I didn't feel that I got anything significant out of the experience.

MrA

Banned
Never played anything that long but I tried to get somewhere in bee's kids, probably just an hour but boy what a waste

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Utter tripe, needed a patch for ages, old women bugged out and had male voices, you fell through the floor, it looked shite, but.. I couldn't stop playing

AaqALnY.png

Crayon

My god I wish I could remember every one because this would be hilarious to read through. I know I caught the clock on borderlands 2 at like 50 hours and I couldn't beleive it. I justr played it on and off over the years for some reason. I never even liked it...

calistan

These days I'm too sensible to spend that long on a game that's no fun, but this one ate up countless hours of my childhood.

I mean it is objectively shit. Buggy, broken, ugly, barely playable. You'd have to wait five minutes just for it to load. If you entered a screen at the wrong place, you'd fall to your death and then respawn in that same spot over and over until all your lives were gone.

And yet it was one of the biggest games of its day. Everybody played it but I never heard of anyone who actually finished it, or even got more than a fraction of the way through it without cheating. Kids today, complaining AC Valhalla was a waste of time - you have no idea.

7Ot9k5n.jpg

vUuiPf4.gif

Scotty W

Gold Member
Halo 2 had a lot of suffering. Halo was just plain better, but no, we had to deathmatch in the newer game.

Larxia

Probably Death Stranding. I thought that a lot of things were tedious but I still liked the atmosphere and I wanted to see where the story would go, in the hope that it would actually go somewhere.
Turns out it didn't, 70 hours for nothing, no conclusion, no answer, super confusing story without anything ever making sense, it felt like getting scammed. Also wasted so much time building roads for nothing, I should have completely ignored side content.

BlackTron

Overwatch

Me too, but it wasn't a bad game for most of the hours I spent playing it. It was a slippery slope you couldn't stop, like amortization on your brand new dream car, till it ended up just worthless.

There are numerous games that surprised me that I just wasn't motivated to finish them usually about 2/3 through, but I still remember redeeming qualities of the games and wouldn't call them trash per se. Skyward Sword comes to mind. I don't think I'll ever finish that game because the low points keep me from ever wanting to attempt it again. But there are cool things I remember about it too. In fact I thought the motion controls were great and my issues were elsewhere. If there's just nothing good about a game I won't make it anywhere near 40 hours.

Top Bottom