• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game had the best use of the Dreamcast VMU?

What game had the best use of the Dreamcast VMU? I think RE:Code Veronica was smartly used, you can see your health on it so you wouldn't have to open up the inventory menu. Anyone can think of games that made good use of the vmu?

Quasicat

Skies of Arcadia made decent use, if I remember correctly.
I liked using to look for the Chams, but the neatest part was downloading a little boat mini game called Pinta’s Quest. I would literally kill the battery in the VMU playing it and always had to upload my exp and gold to my main game before playing it.
Although the GameCube version is better in almost every way, I do miss playing Pinta’s Quest.

Three

The Sonic Adventures one was pretty crazy wasn't it, because it was basically a virtual pet? At least that's what I remembered. But I never checked it out myself.

I think the coolest one I interacted with was Zombie Revenge or Power Stone.

The VMUs were such a cool damn concept.
Yeah it was like a tamagotchi. I think that was why things like the VMU and Pocketstation were made in the first place though. Because they were trying to ride the tamagotchi success.

Lasha

VMU play calling on NFK2K was a game-changer for local play. It was the sporting equivalent of moving away from split screen in a shooter. Code Veronica's placement of your health on the VMU is also cool but a distant second.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Only remember Resident Evil as a ingame cool thing, but I heard that Silent Scope shows the sight of the weapon on it. Sounds amazing

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Time Stalkers, a roguelike-ish (Shiren/Mystery Dungeon style) dungeon crawling/monster gathering JRPG that was pretty average (but underrated and unfairly bashed too) had a downloadable to the VMU first person dungeon crawling game that was pretty addictive and fun. The battles were real time, you could attack (with a refilling gauge to indicate hit power) and block (which reduced HP so you had to time with enemy attacks), use items, eat your own candy sword for health, stuff. I don't remember much more about it, playing it killed my VMU battery and I never replaced it though 🤷‍♂️
9-mini-game-dungeon-iv-time-stalkers-addendum.jpg
10-mini-game-moonlighter-time-stalkers-addendum.jpg

Last edited:

Calverz

Virtua tennis was quite cool as you could play the game looking at the vmu instead. But code Veronica probably hd the best use iirc.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Virtua tennis was quite cool as you could play the game looking at the vmu instead. But code Veronica probably hd the best use iirc.
please explain. a health indicator> RLY >?

also chao garden was my life

Last edited:

Calverz

please explain. a health indicator> RLY >?

also chao garden was my life
Yea it displayed your health status meaning you didn’t need to go into the inventory menu to see.

Unless you are asking if that’s actually the best use? Lol maybe not. I can’t really remember any other standouts.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I remember completing the game in Nightmare and the final maze was indeed a nightmare.

I like how that game let you just use a keyboard/mouse if you really wanted to but Quake Champions devs were like “lol no this can NEVER work on PS4 & Xbox”. So dumb. Quake was on the sega saturn for gods sake.

cireza

I like how that game let you just use a keyboard/mouse if you really wanted to but Quake Champions devs were like “lol no this can NEVER work on PS4 & Xbox”. So dumb. Quake was on the sega saturn for gods sake.
True. I completed the game with the controller though. It was a bit easier than PC version for various reasons.

Varteras

Gold Member
How did skies use it?

Little mini-game you could play on the VMU. I also seem to recall that when looking for things out in the world, the VMU would notify you when you were getting close. I may be misremembering. I do remember thinking it was too bad that the Gamecube version didn't have anything like it.

That game was a gem. One of my favorite RPGs of all time. Probably wouldn't hold up well today, but I adored it back then. Just crossing my fingers for a remaster down the road with a PC release. I can dream.

Soodanim

"OMG health status in RE is the best use ever!"

Come on now, that's incredibly basic. Especially as RE has had visual differences in the character's stance to represent each health status since 2. I can tell you if I'm in caution or danger in any classic RE game past 1 without going into the menu, and I don't need a VMU to do it.

Look at the list the wiki entry has. You have mini games and all sorts of in-game benefits, and you bastards pick a poxy little health counter. You didn't even pick Dino Crisis, which had ammo count as well as health status.

Havoc2049

Sega GT had a cool racing mini-game on the VMU. All the money you earned in the mini-game could then be transfered to to main game.

AllyITA

What game had the best use of the Dreamcast VMU? I think RE:Code Veronica was smartly used, you can see your health on it so you wouldn't have to open up the inventory menu. Anyone can think of games that made good use of the vmu?
RE:code veronica use didn't make any sense.
you are playing an action/horror game that is best experienced in a dark room and to see your health you need to turn on the lights in the room.

Mr Blobby

been so long forgot that Code Veronica used it. I only remember making an animation on it - it was like a stick figure jumping up to avoid an arrow or something

I
Time Stalkers, a roguelike-ish (Shiren/Mystery Dungeon style) dungeon crawling/monster gathering JRPG that was pretty average (but underrated and unfairly bashed too) had a downloadable to the VMU first person dungeon crawling game that was pretty addictive and fun. The battles were real time, you could attack (with a refilling gauge to indicate hit power) and block (which reduced HP so you had to time with enemy attacks), use items, eat your own candy sword for health, stuff. I don't remember much more about it, playing it killed my VMU battery and I never replaced it though 🤷‍♂️
9-mini-game-dungeon-iv-time-stalkers-addendum.jpg
10-mini-game-moonlighter-time-stalkers-addendum.jpg
I remember having more fun with the vmu game than the actual time stalkers game.

DaGwaphics

It all depends on how you were playing of course, but for those that played sports games (local player vs. player) the VMUs were great since plays/strategies could be chosen there rather than on screen.

Bond007

I thought NFL 2K was awesome or whatever it was called.
You could call plays from the VMU without your friend beside you being able to see on the tv screen.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I barely remember how it was utilized in games apart from Code: Veronica (the character's health) and Sonic Adventure. But it was a cool concept and just like most peripherals and stuff for the system obviously never reached its potential. Dreamcast had every chance to become a family party machine with motion controls, a webcam (Japan), fishing rod, steering wheel, arcade stick, a twin stick (Japan) the VMU and so on.

soulbait

Any of the games you could download on it and take with you were cool, but the battery never lasted long enough.

I think NFL blitz had the best: you could choose your plays on the screen so your opponent could not see what play you was choosing. That actually added something to the game IMO.

As someone else mentioned, Code Veronica having the health meter on the screen was a nice touch. You did have to look away from the screen though. Also, it was not backlit so you would have to have a light on to see it; Resident Evil should be played in the dark! :D

Celine

Sonic Shuffle requires the Dreamcast VMU to play correctly. The game doesn't show you cards you have [on TV], because that would reveal them to every player (and since other players can steal your cards, that'd be bad). Instead, it shows you on the VMU, the little LCD screen built into the memory card you can put in the controller.

Text and image taken from a reddit user for convenience:
Eeh5hJhUcAA2nf5

Come on now, that's incredibly basic. Especially as RE has had visual differences in the character's stance to represent each health status since 2. I can tell you if I'm in caution or danger in any classic RE game past 1 without going into the menu, and I don't need a VMU to do it.

Look at the list the wiki entry has. You have mini games and all sorts of in-game benefits, and you bastards pick a poxy little health counter. You didn't even pick Dino Crisis, which had ammo count as well as health status.
At the time I only knew danger, still it tells you if you are poisoned!

Alan Wake

Sonic Shuffle requires the Dreamcast VMU to play correctly. The game doesn't show you cards you have [on TV], because that would reveal them to every player (and since other players can steal your cards, that'd be bad). Instead, it shows you on the VMU, the little LCD screen built into the memory card you can put in the controller.

Text and image taken from a reddit user for convenience:
Eeh5hJhUcAA2nf5
I have the game but have no memory of this implementation. This is pretty awesome. It's almost the assymetrical gameplay Nintendo were talking about when they launched the Wii U.

TexMex

I bet you’re really fun at parties.

NekoFever

It was the NFL games letting you choose plays on your controller. No more making friends look away from the screen and accusations of peeking when you lost!

TexMex

If you think someone's being serious when they call an entire group of people bastards over a VMU discussion, I don't think you're the right person to be throwing that cliche at people.

It must be your first day on a video game forum if you think that person doesn’t exist.

Top Bottom