• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What western game or series has the best OST?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You want the best? Here you go:

I was scrolling through this thread thinking "how the fuck has nobody posted the suicide mission from ME2".

It's probably the most epic track in video games. Playing that mission with this music made me feel like I was in a Hollywood blockbuster. Incredible piece of music.

It's so good that it's part of my gym playlist. I bring it on leg days when I have a heavy squat session!

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Underrated in my opinion.

The game does such a bad job putting the music front and center. Nothing stood out while playing but some dude I know sent me some tracks back in the day and I was like holyshit this game really does have good music.

Voting Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines now and until the end of time. A true atmospheric masterpiece.

Way of the Warrior, Splatterhouse (remake), Killer Instinct (2013), Doom (2016), Cuphead...

There's more, of course. Those are just in my head now!

Hero_Select

I was scrolling through this thread thinking "how the fuck has nobody posted the suicide mission from ME2".

It's probably the most epic track in video games. Playing that mission with this music made me feel like I was in a Hollywood blockbuster. Incredible piece of music.

It's so good that it's part of my gym playlist. I bring it on leg days when I have a heavy squat session!
Mass Effect series as a whole has 10/10 music but that suicide mission track is just literal perfection.

Of course one can make a case for "Vigil" which in my opinion is also perfection. It captures the mood and setting so perfectly.

Holammer

Good music sets the scene and Planescape Torment did a wonderful job at it. The songs convey the weirdness of the setting which is weird even for D&D, with super short (1.30m'ish on average) loop friendly songs. A leitmotif binds it all together.
A very similar sound to Fallout 2 and wouldn't you know it? It's the same composer.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Jesper Kyd's work on Assassin's Creed.

ACII is the pinnacle. The camera panning back on the title screen after you climb the tower in Florence with Ezio's brother and "Ezio's Family" kicks into high gear.

Then later on again during chases throughout Venice.

The ambient stuff is absolute perfection. I recall just sauntering around the rooftops of Venice and Florence with the gentle sound of the city life in the background while the music layered on top. Venice was especially charming. Probably my favourite gaming memory and I can't believe it was 15yrs ago...

Those first three games (AC, ACII & AC:B, though ACII in particular..) just wouldn't be what they are without that score. The atmosphere and charm of it all; half of it is the music.

For any other fans:

Wasn't sure if it was a bug or whether "Home In Florence" was meant to play while in Venice, but I recall it coming on (alongside "Following Cristina") while I was on a rooftop in Venice at night looking out across the Grand Canal and to the buildings across the way. There was the odd distant firework, the moon was casting light perfectly over the environment and there was the gentle sound of a carnival off in the distance. I just kinda lingered there for a while. I don't think that moment has ever been matched in gaming for me. As mentioned above, the atmosphere and charm; compounded by the perfect music.

I hope one day that it (as well as ACI, AC:B & AC:R for that matter) get/s a proper remaster with cutting-edge, remake-level visuals, all the music in place, tighter mechanics and most importantly, the presentation is super-faithful in every respect. I've wanted to go back and revisit classic AC with ACII in particular, either as it was or on the half-arsed remaster, but I fear it'll underwhelm and that if it doesn't live up to what I recall it'll leave a stain on an otherwise sacred memory. As the games exist or existed, I think it might be best left in the past. But an artistically faithful remake might be the right way to revisit it; as I'd know going in it's something different and the original will remain untouched in my mind.

Oooft, the nostalgia...it hurts. :lollipop_confounded:

nostalgia-hell.png

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
God of War 2018 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are most definitely up there.

El Muerto

Guardians of the Galaxy OST is my favorite. The sound designer and the sound director of the Deus Ex games decided to make a whole ass original album based on Star Lord. I'm not a Marvel fan at all but it's absolutely great.

Well for starters the whole fucking character creation screen in BG3 has music that goes hard. Like how can you set up the bar so high just from the first minutes (hours since you'll probably be mesmerized by those elvish like melodic tunes) of the game?

Anyway, probably lots of people already talked plenty of the BG3 music, so next I'll showcase some of the songs (one track for each game) that I'm going back to on a regular basis because they're just that great.

All the Life of Strange OST including the licensed songs like the one below.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 1/2 are really pure gems.
In another style, The Talos Principle are also awesome.

Last edited:

Rran

A lot of Rare's stuff in the 90s was awesome. DKC2, Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Conker. Really great soundtracks.

Cuphead has terrific music as well.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Bigger western studios tend to focus on generic music that feels like it'd belong in a movie, so I find most of that pretty dull. I'd have to go with indies instead for this, and I'll go with CrossCode, which is unbelievably good:

Easily one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Yep, phenomenal OST.

Codes 208

Pretty much any of the halo games (but 2 and 3 are definitely peak), skyrim, gow4, gears 2, banjo kazooie has some really good tracks (click cluck woods in particular), mortal kombat, killer instinct xb1

And this is cheating but legacy of goku 2 and buus fury for the GBA. Theyre anime tie-ins, but theyre made by an american developer using a 16bit remix of the Bruce faulconer score. Im counting it

cireza

Batman and Robin on the Genesis is probably Jesper Kyd's best work the man is a wizard.
Great pick. I personally prefer Sub Terrania from him.

Time-stamped at one of my favorite tracks, but the entire OST is fantastic.

Let's stay on MegaDrive with Ecco 2, which has a fantastic soundtrack. That MegaDrive FM Synth... such deep sounds. Really love it.

(both Ecco games also have excellent soundtracks on SEGA-CD)

More MegaDrive and more European goodness with Mega Turrican :

Westone also had games with excellent sountracks on MegaDrive: Dune and D&D. I see that Klepacki was already mentioned, he worked on both games.

D&D has superb metal vibes as well as melodic pieces, it is a brillant OST.

A personal favorite is Hexen on Saturn :

Some SEGA-CD with the Terminator :

Richard Jacques also needs to be mentioned, he is a fantastic composer :

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These are Japanese games though.
Shit you're right. I forgot.

Fallout 3 is awesome.

D&D has superb metal vibes as well as melodic pieces, it is a brillant OST.

A good Eye of the Beholder-ish game for Genesis. Never played it until early 2000s when emulators came out. Similar to the PC games, you could always cheese the monsters strafing attacks. I leveled up like crazy in the game late where I think there's a dungeon with Fire Giants and kept killing them over and over again.

cireza

A good Eye of the Beholder-ish game for Genesis. Never played it until early 2000s when emulators came out. Similar to the PC games, you could always cheese the monsters strafing attacks. I leveled up like crazy in the game late where I think there's a dungeon with Fire Giants and kept killing them over and over again.
Yes, I love D&D. It is a really good game. You could also equip everyone with slings, as the ammunition was infinite. Haha, great memories with this game. Also love Eye of the Beholder on SEGA-CD, amazing port.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes, I love D&D. It is a really good game. You could also equip everyone with slings, as the ammunition was infinite. Haha, great memories with this game. Also love Eye of the Beholder on SEGA-CD, amazing port.
Never played the CD version. I only dabbled with the PC games. I wasnt into them, but my bro was and he got all 3 PC games.

For those of you who never played them, they might be archaic now, but at the time in the early 90s they were incredible games. Excellent graphics in a D&D setting.

Clip of the first game which came out over 30 years ago. I think my bro had a 386 at the time.

Last edited:

Soltype

Time-stamped at one of my favorite tracks, but the entire OST is fantastic.

Love that game.it's balls hard but soundtrack is what keeps me coming back. The music definitely fits the atmosphere better than Batman and Robin.

Top Bottom