• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst game of 2005? (and say a bit about it)

Tarazet

dark10x said:
I can't believe how much shit you buy, Mej. I mean, if I buy a game, I'm sure as shit going to play it. If I end up disliking it, so be it (though that doesn't happen too terribly often)....but I at least give it a shot right away. I can't imagine stock piling games and not even opening them...

Insanity!

He does have better things to play right now, like the copy of Gitaroo-Man I got for him. :)

neptunes

244675.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Gitaroo Man! Definitely playing that during this week. And I totally need to get back into Guitar Hero... only 8 of 25 songs with 5 stars so far!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Dynasty Warriors 5: Xtreme Legends, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, & Nintendogs.

Mejilan

What was wrong with DW5XL? I got that a week or so ago but haven't tried it out. DW5 was my favorite of them all!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mejilan said:
What was wrong with DW5XL? I got that a week or so ago but haven't tried it out. DW5 was my favorite of them all!
Wasn't worth buying again this time.

Jiggy

The worst 2005 game I actually played this year has got to be WWE Day of Reckoning 2. (Yeah, I know about Wrestlemania 21 on X-Box. Thankfully, I never touched that piece of trash.) It's like they found every possible way to butcher every good or semi-good feature of past wrestling games all in one terrible title.

Poorly-implemented ripoff of the Fire Pro stamina system? Check.
A match pace more unrealistic than the early days of Smackdown 2? Check.
Longer CAW load times than any PSX-era wrestling title? Check.
The worst 3-way and 4-way computer AI in wrestling game history? Check.
A special meter that fills up five times faster than it should? Check.
Horrible collision detection and moves that awkwardly home in on opponents? Check.

I could really go on.
The awful facial expressions that prevent you from creating the types of characters who wouldn't scream at the crowd like generic rock stars. The way flying moves never connect against any half-decent opponent. The fact that, even given four years, they still haven't managed to figure out that people want to be able to select height/width/etc. for their CAWs in inches or centimeters, not nondescript imaginary measurements.

Every single year, a whole group of gamers proclaims some wrestling game to be "the next No Mercy," then about half of them backtrack on that statement within two or three months. It's almost getting to the point where even if someone eventually does make the next No Mercy, I'll never know about it because I'll be so disillusioned that I'll think they're just lying again.

Triumph

Banned
Shadow of the Colossus. Once again, I was suckered into playing a piece of gaming trash from this "developer" from the rabid praise of "hardcore gamers". This sorry excuse for interactive entertainment not only didn't challenge me, didn't interest me, and didn't excite me, it bored me to tears. About the only positive thing I can say about this absolute piece of worthless nonsense is that I didn't have to pay for it- I rented it on my gamefly account and sent it back promptly the next day. Resident Evil 4 for the Playstation 2(as it was intended to be, no doubt) arrived the next week and has been entertaining me ably since.

Mr Jared

257042.jpg

It would have been at least passable if it were just Sonic with guns and bling bling. Stupid, but passable. Yet Shadow is just an all-around unplayable mess. I could barely get the tard to run in a straight line, much less whip out his little gun and prove to me how desperate Sega is for attention these days.

Runners-Up: Mario Party 7, Wrestlemania XXI

XVI

Harry Potter on the PSP. Basically it is a stripped down version of the PS2 and Xbox game, with severe frame-rate issues and lacks a lot of voice acting. It isn't helped in any way by the fact that the PS2 and Xbox versions were half-assed pieces of crap to begin with.

C- Warrior said:
Dude, of course it was a joke.

God of War is by far the best game ever made.

>.>

wait for it...wait...wait...

sorry the punch line isn't coming =/

I put my vote on that.
it's one of the best games i've played

Speaking of Musashiden II, does anyone know if there were significant changes/improvements made for the Japanese release, since it wasn't released until four months after the North American version?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ive not played that many shit games too, but id have to say the worst one has got to be fifa streets. i was really hyped up for the game but it was a huge disappointment.

john tv

Was Unlimited Saga 2005? Even if it wasn't, it's still 2005's worst game of the year.

EDIT: Forgot to say something about it -- it sucked.

Darkstalkers for PSP....

I dunno why I bought that piece of shit at launch.

God, I know that they'll be plenty of people telling me how it's a classic, but sorry, the game's boring as hell.

I should have taken MGA instead.

At least I got GTA and Burnout, and I don't regret buying a PSP for those.

VALIS

258916.jpg
258849.jpg

Bought it hoping there would be some awkward, uncomfortable laughs to be had. Oh, there are. The quote unquote game, however...

Let's just not talk about it, please.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pac pix. what a god damned turd. I would draw a perfect arrow and the fucker wouldn't fire. draw a shitty round headed arrow that was bent and POW.

Second is Pac n roll. Time trials prove that this control scheme is a turd. Monkey ball better do it waaay better. (If they use the analogue system like in mario 64, it should work for monkey ball very well. I hope)

I only own a DS so thats all I can pick from.

Also, is drinky actually trolling mario kart now? :lol

VALIS said:
258916.jpg
258849.jpg

Bought it hoping there would be some awkward, uncomfortable laughs to be had. Oh, there are. The quote unquote game, however...

jesus holy christ you must be rich.

VALIS

catfish said:
jesus holy christ you must be rich.

The Bible Game only costs 20 bucks. It's like Mario Party for slow bible belt children who's parents won't let them play anything else.

pt_928157_20051018_screen007_2520108.jpg

pt_DavidGoliath2.jpg

pt_JacobsLadder.jpg

Mejilan

VALIS said:
The Bible Game only costs 20 bucks. It's like Mario Party for slow bible belt children who's parents won't let them play anything else.

pt_928157_20051018_screen007_2520108.jpg

What the shit? Is there REALLY only one answer option there?

COCKLES

being watched
Ride or Die.

Shit game and worst use of black stereotypes ever. The VO acting is the biggest cliche ever.

"Yo'Holler All. Ride my crazy whip baby sister and bust 'fro niggers with caps".

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
Musashiden II isn't actually a bad game, seriously. There is some decent gameplay in there...along with plenty of problems. The framerate is garbage (wants to be 60, but constantly drops to 30 fps and sometimes lower) and the combat can become repetitive...but I found it to be decent overall, for some reason. Perhaps part of that is related to the truly amazing soundtrack (we're talking REALLY REALLY good stuff)...

Well, at least the music will be great. Nice to hear. The fact that framerate drops so often makes me a bit wary though. Still, it's free. And I hear it's not terribly long, so here's to exceeding my low expectations.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
COCKLES said:
Ride or Die.

Shit game and worst use of black stereotypes ever. The VO acting is the biggest cliche ever.

"Yo'Holler All. Ride my crazy whip baby sister and bust 'fro niggers with caps".

That game is brutal. But if you'd like to try something equally as bad in the genre, take a look at Crime Life, recently arrived in stores. I didn't buy them, but I tried them and they were criminal in a way I'm not sure they intended.

Shadow is definitely one of the worst games I tried this year. I very much hated Advent Rising as well (sorry demi!) but it's criminal for being so average and buggy.

Feel the Magic was total ass and embarassingly hyped.

As a dog owner even, I found Nintendogs sickeningly vanilla and boring and of course overhyped.

MVP PSP is a horrid, horrid port of a truly great sports game.

Conker sucked and destroyed my memories of what must not have been as good a game as I remembered. Multiplayer was just....soooo bad. Another sequel that makes me feel differently about a series is Soul Calibur 3. I just really dislike it and it's a black mark on a proud development tradition.

ram

LA RUSH

after pitbull syndicate ruined the test drive franchise, now they totally debunked the rush series. this is the worst racer, i have played in ages. there are so many stupid design errors. man, i am fucking hate these guys!

GSG9 - ANTI TERROR FORCE

another uk developed shit game.

WINNIE PUH

omg! this game is absolut boring and dumb. i wouldnt give this trash to my children.

MATRIX: THE PATH OF CRAP

this game is just horrible and a pain in the ass.

COCKLES said:
Ride or Die.

Yo, I'm down with that playa. I've never been so pissed by a game, playa. Playa, shit game, with even worse street-factor nonsense, playa. Just thinking about this, playa, makes me angry... playa. Word. Homie. Playa.

AAAAAAARGH

*Does Drive-by on own head*

Mejilan

AniHawk said:
From what I played, it's a close battle between Stubbs the Zombie and Geist.

Oh come on, surely
Geist
the
game
wasn't THAT bad. :lol

Please. You should all become reviewers, then you'll see what crappy games really mean...

My nominees:
Predator: Concrete Jungle
Saint Seiya: Operation Sanctuary
Fired Up

Musashi was stiff, slow, boring and ultimately embarrassing. Definitely the worst game I played this year.

Psychonauts was a pretty good adventure game turned into a mediocre platformer.

Wario Ware DS lacked the creativity of its predecessors.

Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee is the worst game in the series, and convinced me to hold off on buying a PSP.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NDS) - Pretty much what you expect from a non-game. Finding clues is about as fun as fishing out a turd from your toilet. The cases themselves were fucking stupid and boring plus the OMGANIMUINFLUENCE.

Sega Classics Collection (PS2) - I thought it would be fun because its just the old games with crappy new graphics. Man, it sucked. I did enjoy Space Harrier on it but thats it.

Wario Ware Touched (NDS) - I hated Wario Ware before but I didn't realize how much. This game is pretty much what you'd expect from a Introduction to Visual C++ class project: A bunch of stupid fucking minigames that aren't fun. It fails at everything.

Tsubaki

dark10x said:
I mean, if I buy a game, I'm sure as shit going to play it. If I end up disliking it, so be it (though that doesn't happen too terribly often)....but I at least give it a shot right away. I can't imagine stock piling games and not even opening them...

Eh, my personal backlog goes as far back as the SNES. 2/3 of my XBox games and half of my GBA games are still sealed.

I don't see the point in giving games a shot right away. I'm all for thoroughly playing a game (usually to completion). Opening up another game is more a waste of money if you ask me, if it distracts you/keeps you from the game you were previously playing. Soon you'll forget about it and it'll sit on your shelf. Esp. with RPGs, if you choose to pick it up at a later point you'll be like: "Uh... where am I... what am I supposed to do? Screw this."

At least by having sealed or unplayed games around, they'll be entered in your personal playing queue so you won't ever forget about them.

ghibli99

Sega Classics Collection

EC.UPC.010086630749.JPG

sega-classics-collection-20050405111022720.jpg

sega-classics-collection-20050405111022314.jpg

924953_20050126_screen004.jpg

Granted, I would've been 1000x more upset if I'd bought these as separate entities in Japan, so Sega of America gets some props for putting them all together in one package. There are a couple good games in here, but it's hard to forgive what they've done to some of Sega's 2D sprite classics, replaced with prehistoric 3D "programmer art", which look worse than the worst DC games. Ugh.

VALIS said:
258916.jpg
258849.jpg

What about the level where they kill Jesus Christ? PLEASE tell me it's in there!

That new Cthulu game for Xbox. Does the guy have to have dialouge that just states what the player is looking at anyway? eg: You walk up to a grandfather clock in the room, you then use the look command and the character says: "It looks like a grandfather clock."

That or walking up to the building that has a sign that says "Order of Dagon" on it and the character says "This MAY be where the Order of Dagon is"

Walking around the environment you are actually loath to talk to people because they'll rope you into a 10 minute dialouge scene.

Avoid!

Top Bottom