• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum is the worst reviewed game of 2023

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
k2nl4g8ghz1b1.png

WTF happened

(Not that graphics would save this)

Gollum QTEs?

Right. But I’m asking if you think the first three years will be remembered fondly by people in general. It was a rhetorical question btw. We both know the answer.
Yes. I think this year alone will be remembered as an all-time great. And last year gave us Horizon, Elden Ring and GoW Ragnarok

Hell, in the current month's time we are getting Tears of the Kingdom, Diablo 4, Street Fighter 6 and Final Fantasy XVI. You either don't like videogames or are just a cranky person if you're still complaining about how terrible everything is.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
No one is blaming them, just stating it is a possible issue. When you hire for quotas, you aren't hiring the best. That is just an objective fact.
Oh believe me, he knows. But he’s been trained on how to twist this and make it something it isn’t for the sake of a narrative.

Let’s just be direct with him and make sure he sees we don’t buy his BS “we’re being attacked” lies.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh believe me, he knows. But he’s been trained on how to twist this and make it something it isn’t for the sake of a narrative.

Let’s just be direct with him and make sure he sees we don’t buy his BS “we’re being attacked” lies.

Yep. Well versed in dealing with ideologues such as him. Literal walking NPCs.

Kacho

Yes. I think this year alone will be remembered as an all-time great. And last year gave us Horizon, Elden Ring and GoW Ragnarok

Hell, in the current month's time we are getting Tears of the Kingdom, Diablo 4, Street Fighter 6 and Final Fantasy XVI. You either don't like videogames or are just a cranky person if you're still complaining about how terrible everything is.
Like I said, it was a rhetorical question. Anyone can cherry pick games they like. You need to look at the bigger picture.

I randomly came across this post just now.
Most boring first 3 years into new console generation, especially considering how much are both PS5/XsX better than predecessors.

Most of the games look like beefed up PS4 games...
Ain’t just me.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh I was including those, haha. But more so just talking about the games. But yeah, it's clear it's all garbo at this point.

Which is sad. The LotRO game is so full of love and passion to the books. The movies took some liberties, but they were still wonderful adaptations (I would say the Hobbit faired less well in that regard, but still better than the trash we have today!). Even the Lego Set is absolutely gorgeous and full of detail and true care.

I just wish that they would so the same for their modern games and shows/films.

it’s about pushing a quota over the best person for the job.

But you already know this and are acting like you write headlines for NBC News.
Yeah. He basically tried to frame me as being a bigot instead of reading what I wrote.

Not even worth my time responding to him tbh.

Kacho

What “reality”? There are A LOT games I enjoyed especially this year, not everyone is so negative towards gaming.
Did you really quote me to say the same thing Captain Toad said? Go back and read our conversation.

The reality is game budgets are increasing exponentially, games take longer to produce, next gen has been mostly cross gen, diminishing returns have arrived, game quality has suffered greatly in recent years, big name games keep missing the mark, too much focus on GAAS turds, etc, etc, etc. People have been vocal about this stuff for years now. Microsoft announced a ton of games at the start of the gen that we’re still waiting on. Sony is releasing one big first party game this year. That is a noticeable decrease in output.

To act like you haven’t noticed any of this because you enjoyed some games comes across as disingenuous. I’m enjoying Warhammer Boltgun right now. I enjoyed Hi-FI Rush earlier this year. Can’t wait for Starfield. Doesn’t change the fact that the last three years have largely been a shitshow.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

I can't believe they tied a lore library and elvish dialogue behind a paywall. Fucking YIKES. You can tell the publishers were counting on sales based on the name only, not the quality of the game. I'll buy it once it's 5 bucks just like I did Colonial Marines.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Did you really quote me to say the same thing Captain Toad said? Go back and read our conversation.

The reality is game budgets are increasing exponentially, games take longer to produce, next gen has been mostly cross gen, diminishing returns have arrived, game quality has suffered greatly in recent years, big name games keep missing the mark, too much focus on GAAS turds, etc, etc, etc. People have been vocal about this stuff for years now. Microsoft announced a ton of games at the start of the gen that we’re still waiting on. Sony is releasing one big first party game this year. That is a noticeable decrease in output.

To act like you haven’t noticed any of this because you enjoyed some games comes across as disingenuous. I’m enjoying Warhammer Boltgun right now. I enjoyed Hi-FI Rush earlier this year. Can’t wait for Starfield. Doesn’t change the fact that the last three years have largely been a shitshow.
I played lot games and I enjoyed that wasn’t GaaS games or shit show just this year alone. Just because you personally not happy with gaming this “past three years” it doesn’t mean that’s true form me or everyone else.

I’m sorry you are not happy with gaming but for me there almost too much games coming out that I want to play.

Kacho

I played lot games and I enjoyed that wasn’t GaaS games or shit show just this year alone. Just because you personally not happy with gaming this “past three years” it doesn’t mean that’s true form me or everyone else.

I’m sorry you are not happy with gaming but for me there almost too much games coming out that I want to play.
That’s the thing. It’s not just me. It’s a lot of people that aren’t happy. You basically ignored my points to tell me you enjoyed some games.

Doom85

Doesn’t change the fact that the last three years have largely been a shitshow.

And there’s your problem: you see it as a fact instead of an opinion. If Danjin is having fun with this year’s games, no one can take that away from them, and trying to full on disprove it is pointless.

And no, I’m sorry, if FF XVI, Street Fighter 6, and Diablo 4 all range from great to excellent, that alone makes the summer an absolute blast for me. Resident Evil 4 Remake was a god tier game in my book. Spider-man 2 and Alan Wake 2 both look really promising. Granblue Fantasy Relink may release this year (probably will be early 2024 but we’ll see) and still looks fun. Hogwarts Legacy is in the backlog but still looks fun. Tears of the Kingdom isn’t my jam but I’m happy for the people who are enjoying it. Don’t have an Xbox but people seem to love Hifi Rush which is cool. And so on and so forth (Fire Emblem Engage, Wild Hearts, etc.)

Don’t accuse Danjin of being disingenuous purely for “daring” to have fun. Especially when you throw out such subjective arguments like “game quality has suffered greatly in recent years” and “big name games keep missing the mark”. These aren’t facts or reality, they‘re just opinions.

Edit: and with your recent post, majority of opinions still don’t equal facts. For example, I’m sure there’s a few people out there who had fun playing Redfall. They’re not being disingenuous, they’re having fun, plain and simple. Lord knows I can relate, I had fun with a certain title from earlier this year that plenty of people here shit on, and I honestly I got burned out by a few people here (and especially on gamefaqs) legitimately mocking those who enjoyed it.

Justin Timberlake Eye Roll GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Danjin honestly seems like one of the most genuine and down to earth people on this forum. Claiming Danjin is being disingenuous about something…

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Last edited:

Kacho

And there’s your problem: you see it as a fact instead of an opinion. If Danjin is having fun with this year’s games, no one can take that away from them, and trying to full on disprove it is pointless.

And no, I’m sorry, if FF XVI, Street Fighter 6, and Diablo 4 all range from great to excellent, that alone makes the summer an absolute blast for me. Resident Evil 4 Remake was a god tier game in my book. Spider-man 2 and Alan Wake 2 both look really promising. Granblue Fantasy Relink may release this year (probably will be early 2024 but we’ll see) and still looks fun. Hogwarts Legacy is in the backlog but still looks fun. Tears of the Kingdom isn’t my jam but I’m happy for the people who are enjoying it. Don’t have an Xbox but people seem to love Hifi Rush which is cool. And so on and so forth (Fire Emblem Engage, Wild Hearts, etc.)

Don’t accuse Danjin of being disingenuous purely for “daring” to have fun. Especially when you throw out such subjective arguments like “game quality has suffered greatly in recent years” and “big name games keep missing the mark”. These aren’t facts or reality, they‘re just opinions.

Edit: and with your recent post, majority of opinions still don’t equal facts. For example, I’m sure there’s a few people out there who had fun playing Redfall. They’re not being disingenuous, they’re having fun, plain and simple. Lord knows I can relate, I had fun with a certain title from earlier this year that plenty of people here shit on, and I honestly I got burned out by a few people here (and especially on gamefaqs) legitimately mocking those who enjoyed it.

Justin Timberlake Eye Roll GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Danjin honestly seems like one of the most genuine and down to earth people on this forum. Claiming Danjin is being disingenuous about something…

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF
Who’s taking anything away from anyone? You guys are just upset because you don’t like what I’m saying and you keep coming back at me saying you enjoyed some games. Now it’s some people liked Redfall. Lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That’s the thing. It’s not just me. It’s a lot of people that aren’t happy. You basically ignored my points to tell me you enjoyed some games.
I’m so sorry, I said such a horrible thing, don’t enjoy games, feel miserable instead….I guess?
what-do-you-want-me-to-say-what-can-i-say.gif

Doom85

Who’s taking anything away from anyone? You guys are just upset because you don’t like what I’m saying and you keep coming back at me saying you enjoyed some games. Now it’s some people liked Redfall. Lol

If you acknowledge opinions on game quality are subjective, sure. But you threw out the word “facts”.

Phat Tuesdays GIF by Prime Video Comedy

Kacho

I’m so sorry, I said such a horrible thing, don’t enjoy games, feel miserable instead….I guess?
what-do-you-want-me-to-say-what-can-i-say.gif
It’s just not really saying anything and ignoring reality. There have been plenty of threads on the front page today discussing exactly what I’m talking about.

Spread those wings though. Don’t let nobody stop you.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Oh eh umm
Some people like shit
Like the people that gave Deathloop high ratings
The game is shit, but as an NPC they don't know the difference as they're merely a sardine in the shoals
Just swimming along trying to survive
Arkane made good games in the past so little minnows followed the trail, and clapped like circus animals, when the next flotsam came along for shelter, they clapped
Redfall was a huge failure from top to bottom, but some still clapped from the safety of what they knew
Gollum is still a better game than Redfall
Anyone else is a minnow taking refugee inside Phil's cavernous payhole, feasting from the offal, as an they know it is shit
It's ok to like shit, it may sustain you
However, you just need to call yourself a shit eater for anyone to take you seriously
So here I am, taking a hot fishy shit in my mouth from Gollum, than trying to defend the sun baked leathery death of Remi, the engineer in Spanish, or Layla 'the gubmint took my baby, ' Ellison.

Demand better, from everyone, I can't believe the state of this industry.

Btw their budget was 15 million Euros and Nacon hopes to sell one million copies within the first year.
Well... good luck with that I guess.

93xfan

Banned
Yeah. He basically tried to frame me as being a bigot instead of reading what I wrote.

Not even worth my time responding to him tbh.
It’s what the dishonest far left does. All the time. They don’t even care about the minorities they are hurting by convincing them they are hated when they aren’t.

What a gloomy existence it must be, spreading despair and racial division any chance you can.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I am on a different PC and not sure if my main PC has the receipts to prove this or not but I know we discussed this several times over Discord with my main group of friends but here goes.

I know one camp in particular starting hiring for quotas and actually had a sort of point system worked out and certain areas not related to job performance scored points.

As this guy told me one of the main reasons leaving his old job was because "if you are a lesbian black woman you hit the trifecta because you instantly were 3 points ahead of other applicants"

Even said it was getting to the point where straight white males need not apply

I have seen the same thing firsthand when sitting in for applications in Chemical research jobs. People far more intelligent, with strong backgrounds in our research area, and had proven track records were turned down because we would get kickbacks for hiring for DIE instead. Always being poor fits for the company as well.

My son is a big shot for Coke and when promoting plant managers its exactly the same

Clearly I have no right to say you guys are wrong because it's either your expirence or someone you know expierence. But I just don't know what to say at this point. I can see just like 93xfan 93xfan below is wrote that this is a culture war that it's clear to me that will be fought to the bitter end. I'm no victim here and neither are straight white males. But I'll be damned if it doesn't feel like a war against people like me, my wife, and in the future my 3 year old daughter.

I'm super comfortable in my skin and know I've earned every damn thing I have in my career. But by reading this thread, I'm 100% sure there's some white people that are wondering if I'm a "diversity" hire. I'm literally the only black man working in my company of 230 employees. Especially now that I have a senior position in IT. And over the last 3 years the company has been hiring more black women and latinos\latinas too.

it’s about pushing a quota over the best person for the job.

But you already know this and are acting like you write headlines for NBC News.

I'm against pushing a quota just for the sake of being diverse. At the very minimum the diverse hires have to be worthwhile and deserving of the job. It doesn't help us POCs if companies are hiring bad people just because their skin is black or brown.

Please how does one hire a LGBT person knowingly? Surely they aren't asking people in the interview if they are gay.....

I have my own mind. Nobody trained me. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean they aren't thinking for themselves. But I will say that reading this thread makes it seem as if only "certain" people are worthy of ALL THESE JOBS that are out there. Weirdly enough.........but hey I wasn't there, so again I'm not calling anyone a liar.

93xfan

Banned
Clearly I have no right to say you guys are wrong because it's either your expirence or someone you know expierence. But I just don't know what to say at this point. I can see just like 93xfan 93xfan below is wrote that this is a culture war that it's clear to me that will be fought to the bitter end. I'm no victim here and neither are straight white males. But I'll be damned if it doesn't feel like a war against people like me, my wife, and in the future my 3 year old daughter.
My wife is a PoC and my son is biracial. The war you are feeling is possibly because you aren’t taking the emotion out of this and trying to calmly understand what is being said.

Hiring based on race, sex and other immutable characteristics is, was, and always will be wrong. I’m genuinely hoping you get that.

I called you out because you claimed we were arguing for blaming certain groups rather than a hiring process that no longer seeks the best talent regardless of immutable characteristics.

I'm super comfortable in my skin and know I've earned every damn thing I have in my career. But by reading this thread, I'm 100% sure there's some white people that are wondering if I'm a "diversity" hire. I'm literally the only black man working in my company of 230 employees. Especially now that I have a senior position in IT. And over the last 3 years the company has been hiring more black women and latinos\latinas too.
Hope you don’t go down that road. It’s a spiral full of paranoia and trying to prove yourself. Assume everyone knows you belong there and it will go continue to go well for you.

I'm against pushing a quota just for the sake of being diverse. At the very minimum the diverse hires have to be worthwhile and deserving of the job. It doesn't help us POCs if companies are hiring bad people just because their skin is black or brown.
Good. That’s simply what we were discussing. I’m all for people evaluating their biases and scouting people in any and all groups. But once that is done, hiring the best person is key- the person who has the most talent and can bring the most to the company.

The problem is that people are sometimes hiring to right past wrongs in society.

Please how does one hire a LGBT person knowingly? Surely they aren't asking people in the interview if they are gay.....
Just hire the person with blue or purple hair and a million piercings and tattoos. If all else fails, check for a name that doesn’t match the pronouns.

I have my own mind. Nobody trained me. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean they aren't thinking for themselves. But I will say that reading this thread makes it seem as if only "certain" people are worthy of ALL THESE JOBS that are out there. Weirdly enough.........but hey I wasn't there, so again I'm not calling anyone a liar.
yes, only certain people are worthy. Those with skills and talent. Has anyone here said any differently here? If so I don’t agree with them.

No one should be discriminated against based on race or sex.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My wife is a PoC and my son is biracial. The war you are feeling is possibly because you aren’t taking the emotion out of this and trying to calmly understand what is being said.

Hiring based on race, sex and other immutable characteristics is, was, and always will be wrong. I’m genuinely hoping you get that.

I called you out because you claimed we were arguing for blaming certain groups rather than a hiring process that no longer seeks the best talent regardless of immutable characteristics.

Hope you don’t go down that road. It’s a spiral full of paranoia and trying to prove yourself. Assume everyone knows you belong there and it will go continue to go well for you.

Good. That’s simply what we were discussing. I’m all for people evaluating their biases and scouting people in any and all groups. But once that is done, hiring the best person is key- the person who has the most talent and can bring the most to the company.

The problem is that people are sometimes hiring to right past wrongs in society.

Just hire the person with blue or purple hair and a million piercings and tattoos. If all else fails, check for a name that doesn’t match the pronouns.

1. Has it ever occurred to you that people were hiring based on race from the 1920s - 1990s?

2. I will admit that while I'm a HUGE believer in DEI, I think it's stupid to advertise your product or service to your customers on it. It usually never matters to the consumer how and why you hire the people you do. Just do the job well and they'll be happy. I wish these companies will stop trying to advertise this so much and just do the work of being diverse, but also an excellent company.

3. LOL! Not all blue, pink, or purple hair people are LGBT.

4. Sometimes in these conversations some people act as if companies with mostly white males haven't put out crap products or bad service. It happens. Diversity these days seems like the scapegoat. Like do people in this thread "honestly" believe this game would have been top-notch had they not hired with diversity in mind? I mean can goodness sake it scored in the 30s!

EDMIX

too much focus on GAAS turds
This doesn't help your point in a way that you might think.

If you don't like this type of game, play something else... it sounds more like a personal issue and not some deep investigation of the industry or something.
I enjoyed Hi-FI Rush
Great for you, but....shit we are suppose to be "ignoring reality" cause we personally had more games that we enjoyed over the years?

I mean....are you under some belief only you can enjoy something and then will tell us if we factually liked something or not? Who are you to tell us over the last 3 years as a "fact" that its been a shit show could you could only enjoy Hi-Fi?

My guy, that fucking sounds like a YOU problem, that doesn't sound like any issue with any of us, Danjin or the industry or "ignoring reality" or any shit like that. What are you telling me? Zero fucking games sold in the last 3 years? No one liked anything? No games won GOTY? Everything sucked? smh.
Can’t wait for Starfield
Shit me too, its a day 1 for me, but that doesn't mean the world just stops for me and other games and Starfield is the LAST HOPE or some shit, still going to buy FFXVI, Diablo 4, Spider man 2, AC Mirage, Granblue Fantasy, SF6 and many more.
Doesn’t change the fact that the last three years have largely been a shitshow.
smh, this isn't a fact sir lol
It’s just not really saying anything and ignoring reality.

Nah, Danjin cannot see the 3 years as a shitshow as they had fun playing actual fucking games, that isn't ignoring reality, if anything it sounds like you are ignoring that opinions exist outside of your own. Game sales did not go to zero, we did not just get all games with 0/10 or some wild shit like this to act as if this person not agreeing with how you feel about 3 years of gaming, is now "ignoring reality"

Those 3 years resulted in some amazing games for us who enjoy gaming. I'm really sorry it didn't for you (and I really mean that btw) but that doesn't mean we are disregarding you can feel that way, merely that we do not feel the same.

The Last Of Us 2
Ghost Of Tsushima
FFVII remake
Doom Eternal
Animal Crossing : NH
Demon Souls Remake
AC Valhalla
Spiderman MM
Yakuza 7
Hades
Among Us

Ratchet and Clank : Rift Apart
Tales Arise (good ass game)
Death's Door
Resident Evil 8
Forza Horizon 5
Metroid Dread
Scarlet Nexus
It Takes Two
Death Loop
Returnal
SMT V
Lost Judgement
No More Heros 3
Far Cry 6

Horizon Forbidden West
Tunic
Stray
Splatoon 3
Sifu
Bayonetta 3
The Last Of Us Remake
GT7
Xenoblade 3
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Neon White
God Of War Ragnarok

Some other game, like Elderly Spring or some shit about so older person looking for a ring (might have been some Lord Of The Rings shit) either way, some other game came out that sold, like ok I guess... /s

The point is, I didn't like every last thing on that list, my point isn't about what I like personally, its that someone fucking liked those games, they moved monster units, got lots of awards and life goes on, I only played and liked a handful on there, that doesn't mean I'm ignoring reality of the industry, I merely do not force my personal opinion as a statement of FACT regarding any industry, by default that is a subjective idea. I aware many, many people enjoyed the games I listed, thus I have to take that into account, sales and many more and I do not see that the industry is in some "shitshow" and way too much fucking massive games coming out this year to even try to exaggerate or cry over that shit. If a SF, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Spiderman, Diablo are a bad year, I want to know the drugs you are using to convince anyone of this sir.... If that is a "shitshow" we are in good hands =)

93xfan

Banned
1. Has it ever occurred to you that people were hiring based on race from the 1920s - 1990s?
Yes, and it was wrong then and is wrong now. Let’s not repeat the cycle.
2. I will admit that while I'm a HUGE believer in DEI, I think it's stupid to advertise your product or service to your customers on it. It usually never matters to the consumer how and why you hire the people you do. Just do the job well and they'll be happy. I wish these companies will stop trying to advertise this so much and just do the work of being diverse, but also an excellent company.
If these values in hiring were put into place decades ago, we might not have heard such amazing soundtracks from Martin O’Donnell and David Wise.

Bungie and Rare may have said these composers are fantastic, but it just doesn’t add anything to our diverse mission statement.

For a little background, I work in a very diverse workplace with great people of all races, btw. I don’t think anyone at my work was wrongly hired or hired.

I said purple and blue. Not pink. Have to stick with colors in the rainbow. ;)

4. Sometimes in these conversations some people act as if companies with mostly white males haven't put out crap products or bad service. It happens. Diversity these days seems like the scapegoat. Like do people in this thread "honestly" believe this game would have been top-notch had they not hired with diversity in mind? I mean can goodness sake it scored in the 30s!
That seems to be your perception. Is anyone making any claim like that? where do you think this perception comes from?

And anyone can see that during times of intense racism, we had companies of mostly all white people fail. I don’t think anyone can dispute that.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

DEI is literally racist, sexist, and overall bigotted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom