• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst game of 2005? (and say a bit about it)

Tarazet

I have an odd fetish for bad games - I bought a copy of Drake for Xbox just to find out how bad it could possibly be (answer: worse than you ever could have imagined). I bought Dragon Riders: Chronicles of Pern for the Dreamcast the day it came out, beat it twice and almost finished it a third time. Back in the Genesis days, I finished Chester Cheetah 2. That's pretty bad, folks. I've been eyeing the four copies of Kabuki Warriors at CompUSA, too.

So what's the worst wide-release (read: no cell phone games) title of this year? Here are some of the contenders I can see, based on Gamespot scores (listed in order of release, with newest last):

MC Groovz Dance Craze (GC) - 2.9
Chicago Enforcer (Xbox) - 2.7
World Poker Championship (PC) - 2.2
Sega Classics Collection (PS2) - 3.2
Dragon Ball Z: Sagas (multi) - 3.8
Motocross Mania (Xbox) - 3.1
Pac-Man Pinball Advance (GBA) - 3.4
Necromania: Traps of Darkness (PC) - 3.7
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (PC) - 2.5
Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport (PC) - 3.1
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects (DS) - 3.1

I haven't played any of these, but DBZ Sagas has been the most visible one on that list for me. A month after its release Fry's put it on sale for $14.99 - all platforms. The worst game I've actually played from this year is Shining Tears, which is really just pitiful more than it is bad.

Coop

MLB2k5-So many bad things Ill list only the good things...

online leagues

THATS IT THATS THE LIST

Amir0x

Banned
Well I haven't played too many shitty games this year, but I'm about to get Samurai Musashi Legend for free so maybe that'll be my game!

jman2050

Amir0x said:
Well I haven't played too many shitty games this year, but I'm about to get Samurai Musashi Legend for free so maybe that'll be my game!

WHat happened to Wild World? You disappoint me and GAF

*kicks Ami in the shin.

Link1110

I'm going to have to nominate Xenosaga ep 2 (Haven't played it, but if its half as bad as the first one....)
Also 50 Cent: Bulletproof.

Amir0x

Banned
jman2050 said:
WHat happened to Wild World? You disappoint me and GAF

*kicks Ami in the shin.

I haven't played it! Thank God for that, and for GAF!

Edit: Nevermind, you saying AC reminded me of Nintendogs which I have played. That is the worst "game" of the year, hands down.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Red Ninja: End of Honour (PS2, XBox) - that Buddah platform section still hunts me in my nightmares.

Rodriguez

SpikeOut Battle Street

What a fucking piece of garbage. Ugly as sin, horrible controls, voice and connection problems over Live.

Tarazet

Rodriguez said:
SpikeOut Battle Street

What a fucking piece of garbage. Ugly as sin, horrible controls, voice and connection problems over Live.

Aha. You know, Sega only printed 3500 copies - and to date, they've only sold about 1500 of them. It's hard to bomb harder than that. :lol

Matlock

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Oh that's easy.

God of...ah, nevermind. We all know where this is gonna go :lol

God of...DEVIL MAY CRY 30,000 COPIES SOLD?!

sonarrat said:
Virtua Quest bombed pretty badly, yes. But not that badly.

What about Puyo Pop Panic? Where's ye olde Sega LTD thread when you need it?

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Don't be stupid now. There are honest to god bad games and then there are preferences. It's a joke after a while C.

Dude, of course it was a joke.

God of War is by far the best game ever made.

>.>

wait for it...wait...wait...

sorry the punch line isn't coming =/

Unison

031021s4.jpg

031021s2.jpg

The Sega Ages Golden Axe port is unbelievably bad. I beat it and it was kinda fun as a guilty pleasure, but it's wholly indefensible, and it's clearly Renderware made software of the lowest level.

Matlock

Banned
sonarrat said:
Spikeout is the worst Segabomb. Beach Spikers is #2, then Virtua Quest.

I somehow doubt Spikeout outbombed PPF DS.

edit: holy hotdamn, it sold 16k out of fucking nowhere

Rodriguez

Musashi Wins! said:
I'm not sure what my worst was...I'm thinking on it.

Damn, we may not get your answer for quite a while. I'm just thinking of some of the crap you bought. I'm sure there is a ton you were too embarrassed to tell me about.

Tarazet

Oh shit, maybe not. I was totally off. Puyo Pop Fever sold worse than the discontinued-after-two-days GC college basketball game. :lol

GC:

SAMURAI JACK 9,251
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3 5,931
PUYO POP FEVER 5,928
VIRTUA QUEST 4,685

Xbox:

OTOGI 2 28,297
HEADHUNTER REDEMPTION 9,308
SPIKEOUT 1,342

PS2:

REZ 21,084
SAMURAI JACK 20,797
FERRARI F355 CHALLENGE 20,320
VIRTUAL-ON MARZ 14,646
BLOOD WILL TELL 14,237
HEADHUNTER REDEMPTION 9,937
VIRTUA QUEST 3,337

Emotions

sonarrat said:
Spikeout is the worst Segabomb. Beach Spikers is #2, then Virtua Quest.

For shame, Beach Spikers is a quite good game one of the best volleyball games out there, very underrated as for virtua quest i didn't find it so bad i have yet to finish it though.

Tarazet

Emotions said:
For shame, Beach Spikers is a quite good game one of the best volleyball games out there, very underrated as for virtua quest i didn't find it so bad i have yet to finish it though.

I was wrong, actually - it sold a lot more than I thought it did, 66K or so.

Which means now I have to get rid of the copy I bought for $10. Oh well.

That Yu Yu hakusho Fighter. It just played awful, had no balance, and was generally annoying. The show is one of mine all time favorites, and I knew the game would suck, but damn did it suck. Those DBZ fighters seem to go over fairly well, I was hoping it would be fun.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Amir0x said:
Musashiden II isn't actually a bad game, seriously. There is some decent gameplay in there...along with plenty of problems. The framerate is garbage (wants to be 60, but constantly drops to 30 fps and sometimes lower) and the combat can become repetitive...but I found it to be decent overall, for some reason. Perhaps part of that is related to the truly amazing soundtrack (we're talking REALLY REALLY good stuff)...

demi

No, Musashi is pretty crap.

Especially the parts where you hold the maiden and carry them alllllllllllllll the way back

Oh, and the final "battle" and ending

Laaaaaaaaaaaame

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I must resist the urge to say SotC.

So I say Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy instead.

You can read what I think about it here.

Speevy

Banned
Psychonauts is probably among the best multiplatform games released this year.

It's my second favorite, right behind Resident Evil 4.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Worst game released this year that I've played? OK, I'll bite:

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Note - I haven't actually PLAYED Magna Carta yet. Bought? Yes. Played? Hehehe. No.

I'm pretty sure I own games released this year that are worse than CoD (such as Pacman Pinball Advance, to name one), but I just haven't experienced their horrific anti-glory just yet. Perhaps one day.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't believe how much shit you buy, Mej. I mean, if I buy a game, I'm sure as shit going to play it. If I end up disliking it, so be it (though that doesn't happen too terribly often)....but I at least give it a shot right away. I can't imagine stock piling games and not even opening them...

Insanity!

Top Bottom