• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With only a few bangers left to be released, how would you rate 2022 for gaming?

What would you rate 2022 for video game greatness?

• A - Great

Votes: 69 21.1%
  • B - Good

Votes: 83 25.4%
  • C - Average

Votes: 77 23.5%
  • D - Below average

Votes: 52 15.9%
  • E - Poor

Votes: 28 8.6%
  • X - Worst year in a very long time

Votes: 18 5.5%

• Total voters

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Animated GIF

Lots of things got pushed to next year. Next year's Q1 is already over crowded because of it.

Chiggs

Every bit the definition of average.

A few bright spots, like Elden Ring, The Last of Us Part 1, and Forza Horizon's DLC.

I have little interest in Ragnarok, but I am going to play it just so I can complain about it. Maybe it will surprise me. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

mdkirby

An 8 thus far. Prob a 9 once god of war is out.

Road 96
Cyberpunk (ps5 version)
Sherlock chapter one
Stray
Elden ring
Resident evil village
Plague tale (not played it yet, but if anything like the first it’ll be in my top games for the year)
Horizon zero dawn (not as engaging as I hope, aloy is a bit annoying)

I’ve forgotten plenty, but that alone is a solid enough list imo.

Daytonabot

Banned
The actual new games have been below average.

But this has also been the year that cemented that everything will eventually come to Steam and saw the Steam Deck change everything.

Loved : GT7, HFW, monkey island, rollerdrome, stray, cult of the lamb, elden ring and diofield.

The end of the year seems packed so I voted great, but I would probably vote that every year I just love video games 🤷‍♂️

Hohenheim

Great year.

Elden Ring
Ghostwire Tokyo
Drainus
Plague Tale Requem
Hyper Echlon

Those are probably my top 5 before the final juggernauts arriving.

If you don’t only play AAA games it was a fairly balanced year with some long dry spots in spring and summer.

my list has been pretty packed

• Sifu
  • Olli Olli World
  • Dying Light 2
  • Elden Ring
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Neon White
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Kirby in the Forgotten Land
  • Citizen Sleeper
  • Immortality
  • Xenoblade 3
  • Live A Live
  • Stray
  • Cult of The Lamb
  • Tunic
  • Ninja Turtles Shredders Revenge
  • Rollerdrome
  • Last of Us Part 1
Right now playing Plague Tale Requiem and Mario + Rabbids. Waiting on Sonic Frontiers, Ragnarok, Tactics Ogre, and Callisto Protocol. Good year for me. I think last year was pretty good, with a lot of consistent 8’s, but this year has had way higher highs.

Sifu + Horizon + Elden ring was the funnest month of gaming ever for me.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
Stray
Ghostwire: Tokyo
Rogue Legacy 2
Neon White
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Immortality
Tunic
Two Point Campus
Tinykin
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
Cult of the Lamb
Return to Monkey Island
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
A Plague Tale: Requiem
Total War: WARHAMMER III
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Splatoon 3
Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Triangle Strategy
Grounded
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Live a Live
Sifu

Upcoming:
God of War Ragnaok
Bayonetta 3
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
Modern Warfare 2
Pentiment
Warhammer 40,000: Darktide
The Callisto Protocol
High on Life

Seems pretty good to me. Nintendo/Sony dominating as usual with some fine other titles as well.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
- HFW
- Elden Ring
- GoW
To a lesser degree:
- A Plague Tale
- Darktide

3 must play games and 2 I'm at least interested in.
That's better than average for me.
That's a B from me.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
As a PlayStation owner it’s been amazing, so many greats this year and ps extra delivered the cherry on top. I give it an easy A. Also went back and played some bangers on pc like Anno 1800.

I can see it being super weak if you own an Xbox.

Elden Ring and a bunch of switch games like XC3 and Triangle Strategy made it good. Hoping to get some hardware generation defining games on PS5 next year but they are probably another 2 years away lol

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It's been an amazing year for me personally

Horizon Forbidden West- Amazing
TLOU Part 1- Amazing
Gran Turismo 7- Amazing
Sword and Fairy- Amazing
Sifu- Amazing
Stray- Very good
Anno Mutationem- Good

I still gotta buy GoW Ragnarok, Callisto Protocol, Elden Ring, The Quarry, Plague's Tale Requiem, and a few others

Last edited:

Fbh

Elden Ring alone already makes it a B for me.
Then there's been some really solid smaller titles like Triangle Strategy, Sifu, Rogue Legacy 2 and Tunic. Add a few big releases I've yet to play (mainly Horizon, Gt7 and Xenoblade 3)
And if both God of War and Bayonetta 3 deliver I can easily see this slipping into an A for me.

I don't need 40 big releases every year, just a handful that I like.

bender

What time is it?
It started off well with Wind Jammers 2 and Elden Ring. Infernax was a really nice surprise. I've had fun with Splatoon 3's multiplayer. I'm looking forward to Bayo 3. It's a solid year but nothing exceptional.

Ezekiel_

Banned
It was a tasty year

Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
Stray
Sifu
Rollerdome
The Last of Us Part 1

God of War Ragnarok on November 9th, the year of our Lord 2022. That's 2022-11-09, or 2022-09-11, depending on where you're from. That's in 17 days. It'll be a Wednesday. Wednesday, November 9th, 2022. The ninth day of the eleventh month of the two thousand twenty second year of the modern era.

Last edited:

Hoppa

Was a great year - Horizon, GT7 and God of War in one year is pretty big for Playstation, I don't think we'll get three big PS IPs in one year again? (Four if you count Last of Us remake - I don't). Horizon sorta came and went tbh but I enjoyed what I played.

Switch I played a little bit of Sports (meh), Mario Strikers (meh) and Fire Emblem Three Houses (really liked), keen to give Bayonetta a go and will probably get Pokemon.

Xbox - it has been nice trying games I would've otherwise overlooked - Plagues Tale, Guardians of the Galaxy, Two point campus

Elden Ring was also a thing that happened this year I guess :messenger_unamused:

ungalo

I rated E, because 2021 was the worst. But 2022 is not far from that in my book.

Elden Ring was fantastic, everything else...i'm waiting for a few games, Bayonetta 3, God of War (i won't play it at launch and i'm not a fan of the new GoW but it still counts as a big game), let's say Callisto, and some minor stuff.

Since 2020 i'm struggling to find games that i really like. There's 2 games i absolutely loved (Elden Ring and Cyberpunk) so it's not all bad. And i already know 2023 will be way better.

Last edited:
Superb

Elden Ring is my favorite game ever

Ragnrok is a follow up to one of the best games ever

Plagues Tale is a delight

Cult of lamb is superb

Overwatch 2 is a blast

MW2 is a follow up to my favorite cod

Glad starfield got delayed…too many games this year. Still haven’t gotten colisto, pentiment, high on life etc

Elden ring was the only game I truly enjoyed but I enjoyed it A LOT - we’ll see how GOW and the rest are. Couldn’t finish HFW, or get into Sifu or all these other indie games (not my bag). There was nothing for a long stretch between Elden ring and now, callisto may or may not be good. GOW is the only other game that looks to be solid for me. None of the others remotely interest me. Overall been pretty poor for my tastes

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Pretty great year overall, mainly due to Switch having a really good release schedule. And Bayonetta and Pokemon are still to come!

ACESHIGH

Banned
Pretty good year. I am only dissapointed that System Shock and Starfield were not released. TBH all years are good, I don't have enough time to catch up with the games that are releasing, and once you add mods and total conversions, well its downright impossible to keep up.

Hoddi

Namco took all the Dark Souls PC games offline so that's an automatic F. Then they kinda fucked up Elden Ring on PC so F-. And on the consoles so F--.

I've otherwise been rather happy with the games. HFW and GT7 were both fairly good on PS5 and I adored R&C even though it launched last year. I'm currently finishing up Guardians of the Galaxy and it's probably my favorite 'story driven 3rd person game' of the past few years. Play it if you haven't.

Last edited:

baphomet

Pretty shit year.

Couple of (thankfully) good games from Sony, nothing from Nintendo of note, and Microsoft released almost nothing.

supernova8

Banned
Not much in terms of next-gen looking stuff (cue: "what does next-gen looking meeeeannnnnn?" fuck off you know what it means, stop being pedantic) which is a big minus for me. Never really felt an urge to buy one of the next-gen consoles beyond QoL improvements (better framerates, resolution) I can satisfy on PC anyway, but there were some good games nonetheless so I've gone with "average".

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you're still claiming there's nothing to play in 2022 I have to question your taste in gaming. This is what the immediate future looks like for me. I have to play all these back to back to completion over the next few months.

• Bayonetta 3
  • God of War
  • Pentiment
  • Sonic Frontiers
  • Star Ocean
  • Plague Tale 2
  • Mario Rabbids 2
  • High on Life
It's literally going to be difficult to even complete all that's coming, and that's just the last 2 months of the year, not including things like Gamepass or PS+.

cireza

It was disappointing.

Favorite games are AI Nirvana Initiative (also discovered the first game this year, it was great), Tunic and Shredder's Revenge.

Other games I tried were disappointing. Elden Ring (what a waste of time this game is), Soul Hackers 2 (awful, even worst than Scarlet Nexus), Kirby (not bad, but a big step backward compared to the 3DS games)...
And pretty sure Sonic Frontiers is going to suck as well, since it looks like it is following precisely the open-world formula. And Sonic Origins was a fucking joke and extremely disrespectful of older players. I did not buy it.

This ranks as Poor overall. Thankfully retro-gaming had me covered.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I can’t complain. Game pass has kept me busy, plus Elden Ring and Xenoblade 3 were massive games that kept/keep my coming back for more.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Delays/10.

Was supposed to be a banger of a year, now all it's done is made 2023 look even more ridiculous.

Elden Ring is still the best game in a long time though and I'm sure Ragnarok will be sweet too.

Last edited:
I'm gonna label 2022 as worse than 2021. I know it's taboo to speak ill of Elden Ring but that game was more time consuming than 'Fun'. I slogged my way through to the end and was frustrated I was wasting my time slowly getting my characters abilities up.
Same with Horizon Forbidden West just not much 'Fun'.
Played a ton of smaller games but I'm having a hard time remembering very many like Stray came and went with a Meh instead of the expected Meow.

Currently slogging my way through the first Plague tale before playing the next one. BUT stuck in Scorn on some puzzle before I can move on. The end of 2022 is just GROSS, Rats and Gooey Biological material.
I'm giving 2022 a C for average. Not a bad year but not a very fun year either.

drotahorror

B for me.

Started pretty great with Elden Ring. Returnal DLC, V Rising took a lot of time from me around the mid year. Played a lot of Dead by Daylight over the summer (most I had played in probably 3 years). Was introduced to the bullethell/roguelite genre with Vampire Survivors, which led me down a rabbit hole of fun games that I'm still playing. And the best has yet to come with GoW Ragnarok and hopefully Callisto Protocol. Also looking forward to Dark Pictures the Devil in Me, Gungrave, WRC Generations, Evil West, and a few indie games. The next couple months are packed for me.

Honestly, looking at what I just said it hasn't been that great in terms of the different games I've played but I put A LOT of hours into almost all the games listed. Also got a Steam Deck and have been playing the hell out of it.

anthony2690

Banned
Overall it's been a great year, but the issue is how games are spread out.

Far too many games too close to each other in the last few months, with dry spells earlier in the year.

2023 looks to remedy the early year dry spells though, but at this rate I'll still be playing catch up with 2022 end of year releases!

Top Bottom