• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winners of the 2017 Razzie Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
What the hell at all the Zoolander No.2 nominations? I thought it was pretty funny and the perfect sequel to the original.

I did a double take seeing Mel Gibson get redeemer award seeing how his career didn't get timeout for quality. But apparently he was previously nominated for Expendables 3. And apparently he was in Expendables 3. And apparently Expendables 3 is a real movie.

BvS was disappointing but Independence Day 2 was worse. Heck, BvS ain't even the worst movie in the DCEU. That would be Squad.

ExVicis

Saying this as a person who dislikes BVS and Razzies means nothing but i feel like there are worst stuff than BVS.
God of Egypt was far worse than BvS and they both are not anywhere near as bad as Zoolander 2 (which was just offensively bad).

Protome

Nah, say what you will about that film but it still had some good scenes (Quicksilver, the early Magneto stuff) and it finally gave us a compelling onscreen version of Cyclops. It's a heavily flawed mess but it's no Suicide Squad.

Oh man, I disagree with almost all of that. Cyclops was barely a character, the Quicksilver seen was a bad rehash of the last movie but with even worse CG somehow and lets not forget it straight up had filler. There was a big chunk of that movie that was only there to stop the heroes getting to the villain too early (the Wolverine section.)

I did like the early Magneto stuff, but it just made the rest of the film worse because Magneto was reduced to nothing afterward.

Suicide Squad was terrible but it at least had some fun stupid action moments, Apocalypse didn't even have a good action scene in it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Razzies being taken too seriously.

It's name after the sound of blowing on a baby's stomach, one notch above "I got your nose" in humor

and BvS' entertainment value is around the "I got your nose" joke.

fully deserved rewards.

Fuchsdh

What the hell at all the Zoolander No.2 nominations? I thought it was pretty funny and the perfect sequel to the original.

To me fundamentally it's terrible because it turns from a winking self-parody of fashion and celebrity culture to becoming totally subsumed by it. It's like Anchorman 2 where it just started becoming massive amounts of cameos.

PSqueak

Banned
To me fundamentally it's terrible because it turns from a winking self-parody of fashion and celebrity culture to becoming totally subsumed by it. It's like Anchorman 2 where it just started becoming massive amounts of cameos.

Well, personally felt the idea was to out-dumb the first movie by making it more absurd, that's how i took it and why i liked it, i expected something more ridiculous and "dumber" than Z1 and i got it.

Addi

Why didn't Suicide Squad win every award? It's the worst movie I have ever seen at that budget level.

Pachimari

How the hell was Ben Affleck as Batman even chosen for such an award. Fucking crazy. BvS isn't a bad movie either. Joke awards.

Oh man, I disagree with almost all of that. Cyclops was barely a character, the Quicksilver seen was a bad rehash of the last movie but with even worse CG somehow and lets not forget it straight up had filler. There was a big chunk of that movie that was only there to stop the heroes getting to the villain too early (the Wolverine section.)

I did like the early Magneto stuff, but it just made the rest of the film worse because Magneto was reduced to nothing afterward.

Suicide Squad was terrible but it at least had some fun stupid action moments, Apocalypse didn't even have a good action scene in it.

The action in Suicide Squad was absolutely horrendous imo. That first shootout against the weirdo monsters was the laziest action scene of last year. And the climax was terrible. The Apocalypse opening scene in Egypt destroys SS by itself and it's not even that good compared to Singer's other intros. I'm not claiming it's a great film by any means but it was at least competent in some areas. SS had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Razzies being taken too seriously.

It's name after the sound of blowing on a baby's stomach, one notch above "I got your nose" in humor

Actually no, while that is a type of raspberries/razzie, the actual action of "blowing a raspberry" is when you stick your tongue out between your lips and blow, making the "thbbbtt" fart sound the Razzies are named after.

TI82

Banned
I'm a voter and voted for BVS almost exclusively, that movie was so awful.

Good on Dinesh for accepting the award though

Eh, Batman Vs Superman wasn't a good movie, but the actor performance wasn't bad.

lmao

Parch

There might be technically worse movies out there, but the Razzies include a lot of the hype and expectations that a movie gets IMO. For that reason, BvS deserves everything it got. I am so glad Eisenberg and Affleck won a Razzie. Totally deserving.

Overall worst has to be Zoolander 2, but I haven't and won't see the Hillary movie.

inm8num2

They picked the wrong DC movie. I found Suicide Squad to be almost unbearably bad and a complete mess of a movie. Despite the glaring characterization and narrative flaws, I still found BvS to be okayish overall and mildly entertaining.

Eisenberg and Leto both seem in the same position. They played their roles as the script and director intended. The problem was those characters were horribly conceived and completely out of place in their movies (Leto Joker less so since he's barely in SS). EisenLex is an insufferable bratty narcissist who for some reason has his paws over every major plot development in BvS. He's potentially the worst written supporting character of those listed, but Eisenberg at least seemed to have fun with the role and make its sheer awkwardness entertaining.

Schlorgan

BvS was disappointing but Independence Day 2 was worse. Heck, BvS ain't even the worst movie in the DCEU. That would be Squad.
I hate both, but I think I would put IDR over BvS because I at least got some laughs out of how bad IDR was. I only laughed once in BvS; the rest was a miserable slog.

Ploid 3.0

WORST ACTOR
Ben Affleck / Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

What the heck? Come on dudes! It's things like this that are the reason we can't have nice things.

(Look away Ben, everything is fine, you are great, you are incredible, everyone loves you. Ben you must love you, you are not sad, you are happy. Don't think about that last movie of yours. I don't know the name of it but apparently you are bummed out about it. Don't be bummed out, it wasn't your fault, blame it on the rain, yeah, yea.)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Leto did not get robbed. His Joker was terrible but Eisenberg's Luthor was transcendent in its wrongheadedness. A masterclass in how to do absolutely everything wrong with a character in every imaginable way. I mean at least Leto's Joker had green hair and chalky skin, paying some kind of homage to the source material. Eisenberg's Luthor was just Max Landis with VC backing.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Suicide Squad was a far worse movie than BvS. BvS was bad, but Suicide Squad was incomprehensibly bad. Affleck really doesn't deserve the worst actor nom. Eisenberg on the other hand...

border

In some ways, Batman versus Superman being snubbed is almost worse than it winning. They're essentially saying "Yeah, your movie is absolutely terrible, but not terrible enough to be entertaining or in any way noteworthy."

I need to read up on this Hillary's America film. Hadn't heard of it until now.

I knew Eisenberg was going to run away with that award soon as I saw the film. He was more "cringey try hard villain" than Leto's Joker was in my book.

Affleck wasn't bad in BvS.

GamerJM

Banned
The Razzie's are normally a joke, but good on them for calling out nonsensical right-wing garbage that actually had a net negative effect on the world over this year's most obvious punching bag.

a916

WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: Dawn of Justice - WINNER
Fifty Shades of Black
Independence Day: Resurgence
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Zoolander No. 2

LOL... there's a clear runner and it's not BvS... how anyone thinks ID isn't the worst movie of the year...

GamerJM

Banned
WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: Dawn of Justice - WINNER
Fifty Shades of Black
Independence Day: Resurgence
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Zoolander No. 2

LOL... there's a clear runner and it's not BvS... how anyone thinks ID isn't the worst movie of the year...

IMO:

BvS>ID>Suicide Squad

I kinda like BvS but I admit it's flawed as hell. ID was just formulaic as hell and dull. Suicide Squad was a mess from start to finish, with a few interesting characters and scenes saving it from being completely unwatchable.

I enjoyed Hail, Caesar and the Witch less than all three movies but I won't deny that they're much more well-crafted movies, both are really just not up my ally at all.

a916

IMO:

BvS>ID>Suicide Squad

I kinda like BvS but I admit it's flawed as hell. ID was just formulaic as hell and dull. Suicide Squad was a mess from start to finish, with a few interesting characters and scenes saving it from being completely unwatchable.

I enjoyed Hail, Caesar and the Witch less than all three movies but I won't deny that they're much more well-crafted movies, both are really just not up my ally at all.

Entertainment wise, BvS > SS > ID

What would be the worst? BvS > ID > SS... though that ending for ID really might put it as the worst...

It's a pretty ridiculous movie.

With other nominations along the lines of Fifty Shades Darker, it shouldn't be "winning" any of these awards. It's not a great movie but not quite as terrible as they're trying to paint it. Jesse turned in a good performance but I wager the criticism comes from him being a much different kind of Lex Luthor-- but that was the direction he was given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom