• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows XP in 2022

Knightime_X

Enabling shitty OS design practices isn't healthy.
Call me ignorant, please DO enlighten me with these design practices.
Government tracking and ads is the least of my worries because it doesn't amount to anything.
Personal info being stolen can be done on any OS, even more so with older OS installations.

PhaseJump

Banned
Living in paranoia isn't healthy.
What kind of bloat? Win11 experience doesn't feel any different from the rest.
Call me ignorant, please DO enlighten me with these design practices.
Government tracking and ads is the least of my worries because it doesn't amount to anything.
Personal info being stolen can be done on any OS, even more so with older OS installations.
I don't do anything different from the average user.
Certainly nothing illegal that would cause attention.
🤷‍♂️

Privacy matters.

Windows 10 and 11 indexes and scrapes your file system data and sends the telemetry to be used for targeted Bing advertising. It's in an opt out state and repeatedly needs to be shut off after updates. It is far more aggressive and egregious than simply monitoring your web traffic and browsing habits. They're actually monitoring and collecting your local file data. If you take family photos with a cat all the time, they'll start pushing cat food on you even if you never mention having a cat.

It's like letting a company that sells you a fridge come into your house to rummage through everything you have in there, write down what you like buying and eating, and then they constantly show up in front of your home, waving ads for their store at you every time you look outside.

That all of the online traffic physically crosses the US border to be stored on server mirrors in other countries via Microsoft's network, it's data is subject to be collected in it's entirety by the NSA and other government agencies with no recourse. The government can take a look at everything without your consent. The same with Google, Amazon, etc.

200w.gif

Knightime_X

Privacy matters.

Windows 10 and 11 indexes and scrapes your file system data and sends the telemetry to be used for targeted Bing advertising. It's in an opt out state and repeatedly needs to be shut off after updates. It is far more aggressive and egregious than simply monitoring your web traffic and browsing habits. They're actually monitoring and collecting your local file data. If you take family photos with a cat all the time, they'll start pushing cat food on you even if you never mention having a cat.

It's like letting a company that sells you a fridge come into your house to rummage through everything you have in there, write down what you like buying and eating, and then they constantly show up in front of your home, waving ads for their store at you every time you look outside.

That all of the online traffic physically crosses the US border to be stored on server mirrors in other countries via Microsoft's network, it's data is subject to be collected in it's entirety by the NSA and other government agencies with no recourse. The government can take a look at everything without your consent. The same with Google, Amazon, etc.

200w.gif
Use this: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
If you truly must

PhaseJump

Banned

Why? Why should anybody have to use a tool like that in the first place? On principle, it's better to push Microsoft to not be so blatantly egregious in the first place.
I used to be the tech support constantly dealing with spyware and malware issues in the OS. These days, the product has the malicious behaviors built in as a feature.

The world would be a better place if everyone switched to Linux.

Knightime_X

Why? Why should anybody have to use a tool like that in the first place? On principle, it's better to push Microsoft to not be so blatantly egregious in the first place.
I used to be the tech support constantly dealing with spyware and malware issues in the OS. These days, the product has the malicious behaviors built in as a feature.

The world would be a better place if everyone switched to Linux.
Everyone would use linux if it was supported like windows and not fuck all overly complex.
But then it would just be windows which would bring us to a full circle.

Cryio

I hated XP with a passion. And it was my first Windows (and PC).

I'm glad I didn't listen to all the naysayers regarding Vista, because even before SP1, Vista was AN ALL AROUND tremendous IMPROVEMENT vs XP.

Haven't used XP in 15 years.

Just like Windows 8 and W8.1 were all around improvements vs W7. A lot of people just wanted to suffer on outdated software for more years than necesary.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I hated XP with a passion.
Fun fact. Ok maybe not that fun. Fact.
XP is my longest used OS BY FAR, I stayed with it way after it was dead. But I started hating "upgrading" my system due to XP. Before that, upgrading my OS was exciting and gave me tons of benefits - then XP came and ruined so many things for me. The customizability and the control I had over 98 was gone. And I always hated - and still do, with a burning passion - the introduction of the Documents folder and the way it scattered files all around the disk. My DOS upbringing teached me to be very ordered and thorough with files, directories and the likes, and this for me was a giant FUCK YOU from microsoft.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Privacy matters.

200w.gif
I mean, yes.

But you could also say the same thing about Android, iOS, Mac and Chrome OS.
Also search engines like Google and services like Gmail, Youtube, Drive, Maps, Whatsapp, Tiktok, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Taking measures to protect your privacy is nice and should be encouraged, but in a way it's a losing battle.
Now that Microsoft has their hands on Linux and systemd, not even Linux might be safe from telemetry and data collection.

I notice the less I worry about those things, the more productive I become (also less paranoid and worried)

If things move to the cloud and we're forced to use cloud virtual machines some 10-20 years from now, it's game over for privacy.

Crayon

I mean, yes.

But you could also say the same thing about Android, iOS, Mac and Chrome OS.
Also search engines like Google and services like Gmail, Youtube, Drive, Maps, Whatsapp, Tiktok, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Taking measures to protect your privacy is nice and should be encouraged, but in a way it's a losing battle.
Now that Microsoft has their hands on Linux and systemd, not even Linux might be safe from telemetry and data collection.

I notice the less I worry about those things, the more productive I become (also less paranoid and worried)

If things move to the cloud and we're forced to use cloud virtual machines some 10-20 years from now, it's game over for privacy.

If you have a choice though, the question becomes how much you value the privacy rather than whether to worry about something you have little control over. It would be nice to have even one platform to use that has no telemetry let alone constant creep of it. If anything it's rarity makes it more valuable.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
If you have a choice though, the question becomes how much you value the privacy rather than whether to worry about something you have little control over. It would be nice to have even one platform to use that has no telemetry let alone constant creep of it. If anything it's rarity makes it more valuable.
There's always OpenBSD

1200px-OpenBSD_Logo_-_Cartoon_Puffy_with_textual_logo_below.svg.png

M16

Privacy matters.

200w.gif

this is a windows XP thread. but you goofs have to come in here and ruin this thread with your windows 10/11 SPYING bullshit / Microsoft NSA conspiracy theories. its getting old.

Last edited:

Crayon

this is a windows XP thread. but you goofs have to come in here and ruin this thread with your windows 10/11 SPYING bullshit / Microsoft NSA conspiracy theories. its getting old.

You're right it's a derail. I'm going to fuck off, you stay and protect the hive.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I'm shaky enough even going from Ubuntu to Fedora. I don't know if I'm cut out for the bsdmr.
Yeah, wifi drivers are really bad on the BSDs.

Plus, a lot of stuff depends on systemd and other libraries that just don't work well on BSD.

Looks super sleek, what monitor is it? got and old ass AMD Phenom rig also for those weird obscure early 00s games that has graphical glitches on modern systems.

Privacy matters.

200w.gif

"Muuuuh Linux" nerds constantly forget that hardware backdoors has existed for 20-15 years, your OS does not matter, you have no such thing as privacy anymore unless you are totally offline Unabomber style or run an old ass rig from the 90s - early 2000s thats not connected to anything. If you are remotely interested in gaming or tech someone has your info. Why not use something that makes your gaming life easier like Windows? Instead of messing around with config files and proton settings to get inferior perfomance on linux while they are still harvesting your info.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
"Muuuuh Linux" nerds constantly forget that hardware backdoors has existed for 20-15 years, your OS does not matter, you have no such thing as privacy anymore unless you are totally offline Unabomber style or run an old ass rig from the 90s - early 2000s thats not connected to anything. If you are remotely interested in gaming or tech someone has your info.

You are stating the obvious, but not negating the point. The principles around privacy should stand, and should matter. Microsoft is being egregious with their product behavior, dragging more functionality toward cloud services anyway, but also scraping and collecting data on what's in the file system if you let them. The whole industry could be going that way, it wouldn't justify the front-runner and defacto OS developer doing something shitty and then constantly obfuscating the process of opting out of it .

This "Muuuuh Linux" nerd actually runs Windows 10 every day and used to work escalated Windows support for Microsoft, which is why I made this joke.
The only reason I even mentioned Linux is because people would be forced to be more educated to handle all things computer related, and it would mean we're all the better for it.

You are stating the obvious, but not negating the point. The principles around privacy should stand, and should matter. Microsoft is being egregious with their product behavior, dragging more functionality toward cloud services anyway, but also scraping and collecting data on what's in the file system if you let them. The whole industry could be going that way, it wouldn't justify the front-runner and defacto OS developer doing something shitty and then constantly obfuscating the process of opting out of it .

This "Muuuuh Linux" nerd actually runs Windows 10 every day and used to work escalated Windows support for Microsoft, which is why I made this joke.
The only reason I even mentioned Linux is because people would be forced to be more educated to handle all things computer related, and it would mean we're all the better for it.
Good points and we are in agreement. Its mostly the Linux crusaders/evangelists that hate windows with a passion while screaming about privacy while using steam, Gmail and a smartphone that grinds my gears. they are just adding layers upon layers of complexity to play windows games. If its a hobby i dont mind at all i think its cool they are playing around with tech. But doing it to "protect yourself" from the five eyes is just nonsense Imo when you are using all the different services above.

I was playing Deadly premonition last week and had to use windows XP compatibility mode.

Worst fucking port I had seen.
Deadly Premonition on PC is such a trash, it crashed 5 times in a 4 hours span and also deleted my savegame so i just gave up on it.

Also Rusty Shackelford Rusty Shackelford what games are you playing on your rig? Anything lesser known games to recommend tps or rts'es?

Last edited:
Good points and we are in agreement. Its mostly the Linux crusaders/evangelists that hate windows with a passion while screaming about privacy while using steam, Gmail and a smartphone that grinds my gears. they are just adding layers upon layers of complexity to play windows games. If its a hobby i dont mind at all i think its cool they are playing around with tech. But doing it to "protect yourself" from the five eyes is just nonsense Imo when you are using all the different services above.

Deadly Premonition on PC is such a trash, it crashed 5 times in a 4 hours span and also deleted my savegame so i just gave up on it.

Also Rusty Shackelford Rusty Shackelford what games are you playing on your rig? Anything lesser known games to recommend tps or rts'es?
Not a whole ATM. Playing OG release of Doom 3 and classic Doom, UT 2004. Gonna go get more. I got rid of all my PC games years ago.

Unknown?

"Muuuuh Linux" nerds constantly forget that hardware backdoors has existed for 20-15 years, your OS does not matter, you have no such thing as privacy anymore unless you are totally offline Unabomber style or run an old ass rig from the 90s - early 2000s thats not connected to anything. If you are remotely interested in gaming or tech someone has your info. Why not use something that makes your gaming life easier like Windows? Instead of messing around with config files and proton settings to get inferior perfomance on linux while they are still harvesting your info.
Lol such a dumb take. But yeah there are hardware backdoors.

Last edited:
Windows is so bad which is why 95 percent of the world is on it. Instead of using Linux for free all India pirated Windows. And with windows 11 being free Microsoft checkmated Stallman.

I'd tell Linux users to seethe and cope but we all know they'll never will. Hatred for windows is what's keeping them alive.

PhaseJump

Banned
Windows is so bad which is why 95 percent of the world is on it. Instead of using Linux for free all India pirated Windows. And with windows 11 being free Microsoft checkmated Stallman.

I'd tell Linux users to seethe and cope but we all know they'll never will. Hatred for windows is what's keeping them alive.

If there was a contest for having the most retarded headcanon ever conceived, you would probably be a finalist.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have an old Dell laptop that runs XP, it's great. I don't use it too much anymore but it's nice to have it for old games.

I also love that I was able to mine the Resident Evil 1996 PC windows theme. When you empty the recycling bin, it sounds like the bathtub is being drained, lol. Really cool relic from a time long passed.

Awesome!
We still have computers and virtual machines at work on a isolation network using XP for manufacturing purposes, so I still use XP here and there.

It was tough going from xp to vista, that os sucked so bad. It was also the last windows OS to have proper hardware sound card support.

Remember my first full pc build intel penitum 3 650mhz , 512mb ddr, voodoo5, and going from 99 to ME (worse than vista) then windows 2000 and finally XP (lots of pirated os discs back then. Some even said black edition with skulls and crossbones wallpaper. Ahh the age of winapp, limewire, winrar, gta3, prince of persia, quake 3, ut, thief, half life, Diablo 2, and Baldur's Gate.

XP, was glorious for its time.

Last edited:

THEY SHOULDN'T BE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!​

Who gets that stuff, I don't have it on win11? I got a key for 10 though and build my own pcs, so of course pre-builts will have shit software added. Regular windows you buy a retail key for has none of that, also don't give ms your info, choose no.

Top Bottom