• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Linbergh or X360 hardware prompt Sega to finally make Daytona 3 or Super GT?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys....given that Sega are now developing on an even more powerful arcade board, the Linbergh, do you think this will prompt them to finally make Daytona USA 3 or Super GT 2?

Likewise, with X360 on the horizon, could they now be encouraged to pursue a next gen Daytona USA and/or Super GT game for home consoles? The list for the upcoming JAMMA show seems to indicate Sega is itching to revisit thier old franchises and from the "Model" era and deliver the true sequels their fans have been waiting for.

I'm going to tell you this right here and now....if there is ANY GAME I want more than OutRun 2 SP and RR 6, it is Daytona 3 and Super GT for Xbox 360. I am already barely containing myself with the possibility of OR2SP and the confirmation of RR6...but a new Daytona USA or Super GT for X360 would push me over the fucking EDGE.

So...what are the chances? What will Sega do with the Daytona and Super GT franchise now that Linbergh and 360 is upon us? One can only cross their fingers at this point. In the meantime I will continue to...

xin_5304020109146562141011.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe they'll decide to release it those things on a next-gen system, like PS3. Current gen systems like PS2, Xbox, Xbox360 and Gamecube aren't really the ideal place for it.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Amir0x said:
Maybe they'll decide to release it those things on a next-gen system, like PS3. Current gen systems like PS2, Xbox, Xbox360 and Gamecube aren't really the ideal place for it.
:lol :lol :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Amir0x said:

ZING! :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Amir0x said:

It's also an ideal console because it'll have a real force feedback wheel

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wario64 said:
It's also an ideal console because it'll have a real force feedback wheel

BINGO!

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Amir0x said:

I GIVE THIS POST TWO SNAPS UP IN A Z FORMATION
ilc44f.jpg

DCX

DCX
Amir0x said:
:/ :lol :lol :lol

Anyway, i would kill for a Daytona USa with 40 car support with Gran Turismo 3 visuals on 360. Make it so!

DCX

xexex

Banned
Sega needs to get back to basics (as does Nintendo). Daytona is a must for Xbox360 - I want all three Daytona on 360: the original, both versions of the sequel and the new Daytona3.

Super GT / Scud Race matters alot less because it has no popularity, unlike Daytona. that's not to say I don't *want* Scud Race and a Scud Race 2, I do very much so, but Daytona is the priority. Scud Race would just be the icing on the cake,

isamu

xexex said:
Sega needs to get back to basics (as does Nintendo). Daytona is a must for Xbox360 - I want all three Daytona on 360: the original, both versions of the sequel and the new Daytona3.

Super GT / Scud Race matters alot less because it has no popularity, unlike Daytona. that's not to say I don't *want* Scud Race and a Scud Race 2, I do very much so, but Daytona is the priority. Scud Race would just be the icing on the cake,

Excellent point. But what I'm wondering is, can Sega even call it "Daytona USA" anymore, now that the rights belong to EA(a big F U to EA btw)? What could be some names that Sega use for the Daytona USA games? How about:

Sega Racers on the Edge
Stock Cars that you remember from Sega
Powersliding and the Hornet factory
Dinosaur Canyon II: The Quickening
The Resurrection of Blue Blue Skies!!

isamu

Oh greetings President Nuff :)

Sho Nuff said:
By the way, the answer to your thread title is: No.

Yeah, cuz you know this for sure right?
rolleyes24em.gif

Piepz

Amir0x said:
Nice troll, where's your ban?

PG2G

Maybe Yuji Naka will stop being a bitch and make a sequel to Burning Rangers, since the tech SHOULD be there by now.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
In terms of playable options (isn´t the same playable options and playability) a new Daytona USA will be crushed because a game where you can only control a car in a few car has no reason for the great majority of the market in the era of the tunning cars and the GT.

For the good of Sega, please, lauch the Sega Model 2 and Model 3 classics on PSP and Nintendo DS.

Shinobi

Agreed with this...throw System 16/32 ports on the DS, and Model 2/3 ports on the PSP. Been saying that for months.

Super GT wouldn't be so hot these days considering GT and PGR...

Daytona 3 would be a killer though!

Forget about Sega Rally 3, what a miserable ass UN-NEEDED FAILURE!

We need Ridge Racer 6 and Daytona 3 on 360. And to go with this killer hardcore combo... we also need Virtua Fighter 5 and Tekken 6 for Xbox 360. Then Rare will make Killer Instinct 3 for 360 and Capcom will eventually announce Street Fighter 4 for the Xbox 360 Arcade board and then SNK's Battle Collisium game will come out for 360 with Live Play...

The world will rejoice!

Shinobi

WhippinSean said:
Forget about Sega Rally 3, what a miserable ass UN-NEEDED FAILURE!

You fucking suck...Sega Rally 2 was five times the hit that Daytona 2 was.

Sega Rally = bees knees
Daytona = redneck snooze

Actually, I've said for a while that since Sega can't use the Daytona name, they should use the Days of Thunder license from Paramount, since it was obviously the inspiration for the original game. With more of the inspired track design from the first game (the second game's tracks weren't nearly as cool) and some crazy power sliding, it would be a huge hit. But Sega Rally 3 would be a nice arcade hit as well, particularly in Europe.

isamu

Shinobi said:
Actually, I've said for a while that since Sega can't use the Daytona name, .

That's a good point. I forgot about the licensing issue. Here are some potential names Sega can cum up with:

1-Sega Racers on the Edge
2-Stock Cars that you remember from Sega
3-Powersliding and the Hornet factory
4-Dinosaur Canyon II: The Quickening
5-The Resurrection of Blue Blue Skies!!

xexex

Banned
Nightbringer said:
In terms of playable options (isn´t the same playable options and playability) a new Daytona USA will be crushed because a game where you can only control a car in a few car has no reason for the great majority of the market in the era of the tunning cars and the GT.

For the good of Sega, please, lauch the Sega Model 2 and Model 3 classics on PSP and Nintendo DS.

I'd rather have arcade-exact ports of Model 2 and Model 3 games on Xbox 360 and PS3.

DS wouldn't be able to handle Model 2, much less Model 3, and even though PSP could do a decent job, it would not be possible to get identical ports.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
proper daytona 1 port, with a force feedback wheel and 4-way gear selector.

Thats it.

No nasty sequel

No crappy 'look how pretty but shallow I am' Scud Race

Just daytona 1 - perfect edition.

isamu

xexex said:
I'd rather have arcade-exact ports of Model 2 and Model 3 games on Xbox 360 and PS3.

DS wouldn't be able to handle Model 2, much less Model 3, and even though PSP could do a decent job, it would not be possible to get identical ports.

Glad you were able to come in and set that shit straight xexex. I was thinking the same thing. WTF would anyone want half-ass and crappy ports of Daytona USA and Scud Race on a handheld, where you get a tiny-ass screen, no steering wheel and no force feedback. Some of you people need to get a clue :/

Shinobi

The games are ten years old. I want to play new shit on systems that are going to cost half a fucking grand in Canadian dough, not games that I've played to death for over a third of my life. On the other hand, the only games worth playing on portables are arcade games...which is why I desperately want a version of Mame on PSP. It's an ideal platform for Model 2 and 3 conversions where they've got a chance to shine, instead of being on new tech where it'd simply get lost in the nolstagia shuffle. Plus the idea of playing Daytona or Sega Rally 2 on the subway feels me with warm, fuzzy feelings.

You want to play the arcade games at home? Go buy the fucking arcade machines. Even combined they're probably all far cheaper then the 67 inch, $8000 HDTV that you're no closer to buying now then you were three years ago. :lol

isamu

Shinobi said:
You want to play the arcade games at home? Go buy the fucking arcade machines. Even combined they're probably all far cheaper then the 67 inch, $8000 HDTV that you're no closer to buying now then you were three years ago. :lol

The arcade machine doesn't have online play, and comes with a measly 27 CRT medium res monitor. Not worth it. Give me the 360 version of give me death :D

the 67 inch, $8000 HDTV

Elm ohm elm????

The size of my headache is growing. It's like THIS BIG. I'm with Shinobi, I want new shit, not corporate whoredom. Sequel this, sequel that, franchise this, all that, from Sega, one of the least corporate corporations on the face of the earth. You know, the progressive game company known (or once known for some folks, but fuck them) for making good new, original games? Death to corporate whores (especially if they call themselves Sega fans)!@!

WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THIS IDLE SPECULATION BASED ON NOTHING! Learn some patience for once, but my patience is up with this crap so fuck it. My headache is now getting worst, now do you see what you have done!

isamu

BlackClouds said:
The size of my headache is growing. It's like THIS BIG. I'm with Shinobi, I want new shit, not corporate whoredom. Sequel this, sequel that, franchise this, all that, from Sega, one of the least corporate corporations on the face of the earth. You know, the progressive game company known (or once known for some folks, but fuck them) for making good new, original games? Death to corporate whores (especially if they call themselves Sega fans)!@!

WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THIS IDLE SPECULATION BASED ON NOTHING! Learn some patience for once, but my patience is up with this crap so fuck it. My headache is now getting worst, now do you see what you have done!

tylenol_gelcaps_300_enlarge.jpg

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
BlackClouds said:
I want new shit, not corporate whoredom. Sequel this, sequel that, franchise this, all that, from Sega, one of the least corporate corporations on the face of the earth. You know, the progressive game company known (or once known for some folks, but fuck them) for making good new, original games? Death to corporate whores (especially if they call themselves Sega fans)!@!

IAWTP.

Sequels to 10 year old arcade games rarely look or feel like the original, and when they do, we realise what advances have been made in the last 10 years and that we want more these days.

When the sequel does look great and include new gameplay innovations it doesn't really feel like a sequel - more like a game they tacked a license onto.

If there's no character/story then a sequel to a 10 year old game feels particularly pointless.

Sega should make more racing games, and even include emulated versions of old games with the home versions, but I don't see any need to brand the new titles with the names of games that we loved and possibly tarnish those memories.

isamu

Guys let me get this straight....

Are you saying that in your personal opinion, Sega will never develop a port of Daytona USA 2 or Scud Race on any next gen console? What aspects of the situation leads you to believe this assumtion?

isamu said:
Guys let me get this straight....

Are you saying that in your personal opinion, Sega will never develop a port of Daytona USA 2 or Scud Race on any next gen console? What aspects of the situation leads you to believe this assumtion?

The only way i could see those 2 appearing is via the xbox live arcade section imo. You never know though with Sega opening up the Sega Racing studio division in the UK which is looking at porting existing franchises to next gen machines and creating new content at the same time.

_Angelus_

Banned
I've got the cash in hand baby-which ever console these racers end up on will probably prompt me to favor that console alot more in the future.
Err just as long as its not some damn handheld exclusive.:(

No it has to be Console or bust....

Make it happen SEGA.

isamu

Dear Sega.....please please....

*************P-L-E-A-S-E-****************

....please announce a new Sega Ages Model 3 collection with perfect arcade ports of Daytona 2 and Super GT at TGS for Xbox 360.

Sega, I am on my knees begging....BEGGING you to announce this at TGS! I will come to Japan and felat everyone including your cats and hamsters!

PLEASE TO IT SEGA

isamu

ourumov said:
In the meantime I'll be playing Burnout Legends with the Super GT/Daytona USA 2 Soundtrack...

heh...

Tellaerin

Isamu, indulge my curiosity for a second here: Do you have any interest in gaming whatsoever outside of racing games? (I would have said, 'outside of Sega racers,' but I remember your RR6 posts.) I don't think I've ever heard you talk about anything else here, and I'm honestly curious as to what other genre(s) you like (if any).

isamu

Tellaerin said:
Isamu, indulge my curiosity for a second here: Do you have any interest in gaming whatsoever outside of racing games?

no

rpgs and fighters occasionaly :)

To all the naysayers: Planet Harriers was a Naomi title when its been ages since Space Harriers was released. Don't forget Outrun 2. They were sure as hell capable for a 32 bit sequel but they skipped on to 128 bit. Doesn't mean they can't make it. I could see Daytona 3 but probably not Super GT. Not popular enough.

isamu

The Experiment said:
To all the naysayers: Planet Harriers was a Naomi title when its been ages since Space Harriers was released. Don't forget Outrun 2. They were sure as hell capable for a 32 bit sequel but they skipped on to 128 bit. Doesn't mean they can't make it. I could see Daytona 3 but probably not Super GT. Not popular enough.

Then buy me the PCB boards....NOW!!!!

isamu

Gentlemen said:
I don't like this emulation thing. It's never perfect, and to be honest - playing Daytona USA 2 on PC? Come on, guys, I thought you were arcade fans! I loved this game in the arcade but since there's no home conversion of it I'll never play it anymore. Emulating it on a PC just doesn't do the game justice. And don't say it's better than nothing because no, it's better not to play it the proper way than to play this emulation crap.

Gentlemen, Start...

I agree with you to some extent....that in its current state, I would not touch the emulated version with a 10ft pole. Heck...unless it's running and looking 100% faithful to the arcade version, with perfect textures, effects and framerate, I wouldn't get within a mile of it. But if they can get it running 100% smooth with all effects on, then yes, playing it on the PC would be awesome. Let me explain....

When you say "Playing it on a PC", most people imagine the thought of sitting in front of a 15" LCD monitor in an office chair holding a $8.00 gamepad. I am here to say that gaming on PC can be much MUCH more than that. You can connect your PC to a true arcade RGB analog monitor, as well as connect a 100% REAL force feedback arcade steering wheel and pedals. Did you know that a manufactuer by the name of Happ develops an exact replica of the force feedback wheel, pedals, and H-gated stickshifter used on the real Daytona USA arcade cabinet? They even sell an interface board that connects them to any PC!

So imagine buying a used racing frame, attatching a 32" RGB Arcade monitor to it, attaching the FF wheel and pedals and gear shifter to it, then running a 100% arcade perfect emulated version of Daytona USA 2. I GUARANTEE you it will feel EXTREMELY close to the arcade version! Your are using the same actual arcade controls, the same actual CRT RGB Analog monitor, and you're sitting in a racing cockpit.

That is a LOOOONG cry away from your typical office chair/gamepad environment my friend :)

Eiji

isamu said:
What could be some names that Sega use for the Daytona USA games?

Rolling Start III
Bareback Horse Riding Drei
Horny Hornet Racers
Lucky 777 Power Racer
Game Over Yeeeeeeeah!
Super Ryo Hazuki Kart Racing

Top Bottom