• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

alstein

Got to play Shidosha on Stream at NEC.

Went as you would expect. I brought the silliness. Must have been residue from all the Power Instinct I played Saturday.

Got to play Shidosha on Stream at NEC.

Went as you would expect. I brought the silliness. Must have been residue from all the Power Instinct I played Saturday.

You went? So, everyone that didn't make it to Summer Jam went, but the ones that were at SJ, didn't go(like me)How many heads were there?

alstein

You went? So, everyone that didn't make it to Summer Jam went, but the ones that were at SJ, didn't go(like me)How many heads were there?

Only 25 for VF which is major-disappointing. I'm actually considering looking into Tekken now because I know VF has no tourney future , and my state just got a big boost in its visibility from NEC.

simtmb

Akira has everything. Has the best mids, and his lows are good, 3PK while somewhat slow is a ridiculous +7 on hit iirc and leads to big dmg on CH, on block its also extremely safe. Deadly combination with his shoulder move.

Him lacking full circulars doesn't mean much since 46PK and 46PKG are nasty. One knocks down, is delayable and also wall splats for huge dmg. The other also carries great advantage on hit, and Akira is frightening in a side-turned situation.

I started FS with the character and enjoy playing him more than anyone else in the cast. Very much S tier. Guard breaks are amazing, 6PKG is godly and even better with a wall. 3PKG has amazing range and good dmg. Most of his moves in general are excellent. I'm not sure if I'd claim linearity being his weakness as it's all the player, and i feel this is mostly claimed since he has no strings to cheese out cheap dmg and close rounds with. The hit-level and throw mixups remain as strong as ever with him. He just requires complete commitment at all times with every move of his used, for example, being frame tight in getting in his SDE (666P) for that crumple stun.

Only 25 for VF which is major-disappointing. I'm actually considering looking into Tekken now because I know VF has no tourney future , and my state just got a big boost in its visibility from NEC.

Tekken always been bigger. And TTT2 is actually a great game. I'm a huge VF player. Its been my main fighter for years, but with FS, that change. Is all about Tekken now, and I kind of regret not giving Tekken a chance back in the day.

AAK

Okay VF GAF! Finally have some more free time on my hands. I have a week to prepare for a Toronto tournie, and it's been too long since I played this game properly. I know TeeVo's Vanessa is going to be the biggest threat for now, please do post whenever you're online or add me on PSN at AAK0924 and I'd love to get some games in :)

Majukun

i know the game is good,but is the personalisation of the characters good enough to justify the price?are there a good number of object and possibilities?

alstein

i know the game is good,but is the personalisation of the characters good enough to justify the price?are there a good number of object and possibilities?

You mean the costume DLC? I think it's inferior to Soul Calibur, but superior to Tekken.

It's good enough, especially if you get it on a sale (there will be a sale 12/30 on XBL, PSN just had their sale)

Brisal73

sega_cup_2013_vf5fs1.jpg

Sega Announces SEGA CUP - Virtua Fighter Tournament in the U.S.
April 20th

AAK

@ ShinobiFist, I saw your comment on the series downhill thread:

Virtua Fighter. Final Tuned was the last good VF. Each version of VF5 got worse.

Curious since VF5:FS is my first VF, what was so different/superior about the previous version? Did they add anything that made the game less fun? Is there less freedom now?

@ ShinobiFist, I saw your comment on the series downhill thread:

Curious since VF5:FS is my first VF, what was so different/superior about the previous version? Did they add anything that made the game less fun? Is there less freedom now?

Yes. This is the first VF were the tier list is quite obvious now. Defense in VF5FS is too weak. The tracking and hitbox in this game is wonky as hell. Moves are to freaking safe. Wall combos are stupid. And the funny thing is, wall combos is what some VF players didn't like about the Tekken franchise. I could go on and on. But after Summer Jam, I got bored with the game. I never seen so many people switch their mains for better characters, lol. If I'm going to play a game with a tier list, I'll play SFIV AE instead. But for now, I'm playing TTT2.

alstein

Yes. This is the first VF were the tier list is quite obvious now. Defense in VF5FS is too weak. The tracking and hitbox in this game is wonky as hell. Moves are to freaking safe. Wall combos are stupid. And the funny thing is, wall combos is what some VF players didn't like about the Tekken franchise. I could go on and on. But after Summer Jam, I got bored with the game. I never seen so many people switch their mains for better characters, lol. If I'm going to play a game with a tier list, I'll play SFIV AE instead. But for now, I'm playing TTT2.

I think FS has some things that can be criticized, the tier thing definitely, but the system changes were mostly good, and wall combos weren't as bad as Jeff in R.

FS is probably the worst balanced VF since 2, but it's no worse than Tekken in that regard.

The hate on FS from some VF folks to me is half legit, half old man yelling at cloud.

So your complaints are that some characters are stronger than others and you can't sit on your ass blocking all day and get away with it. Okay...

So your complaints are that some characters are stronger than others and you can't sit on your ass blocking all day and get away with it. Okay...

Where did I say that? I said, moves are too safe. I don't play VF for a obvious tier list. Second, no one blocks in FS. That shit will cost you your life. People only block for TE.

Where did I say that? I said, moves are too safe.
Second, no one blocks in FS. That shit will cost you your life. People only block for TE.
Moves are too safe? I'm assuming you meant on block, hence I thought you were upset that you can't block-punish as much anymore and thus actually have to go on the offense more and attack your opponent.

You're actually upset that moves are safe ON HIT? What? Why wouldn't they be?

I don't play VF for a obvious tier list.
You are aware that VF is a fighting game, right? All fighting games have tier lists and the only way around that is to give every single character the same exact moves with the same exact properties (see: Street Fighter 1). So you're upset that Final Showdown garnered enough attention and players that you noticed more people playing top-tier?

I'm just going to come out and say it: I don't think you know what it is you actually want.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
Moves are too safe? I'm assuming you meant on block, hence I thought you were upset that you can't block-punish as much anymore and thus actually have to go on the offense more and attack your opponent.

You are aware that VF is a fighting game, right? All fighting games have tier lists and the only way around that is to give every single character the same exact moves with the same exact properties (see: Street Fighter 1). So you're upset that Final Showdown garnered enough attention and players that you noticed more people playing top-tier?

I'm just going to come out and say it: I don't think you know what it is you actually want.
It's strange when u say "top tier" in this game - I mean yes, tiers are there (akira leads the pack easily) but with a game like final showdown every character has the tools to deal with opponents on the endgame side of things (which here seems to strongly point to the meta-game). I feel like you are using tiers to mention habits that were prevalent in 3S (almost everyone picked yun, chun, and ken). I don't really blame u tho, as of lately there have been a lot of jacky players (upper tier), but there are also a crap ton of goh and brad and pai players (middle-lower tier)

*edit* and most ppl that pick the above characters don't pick em cuz they're high tier ( they don't even use them right) they pick them cuz they're easy to see results with (results being a win)

alstein

It's strange when u say "top tier" in this game - I mean yes, tiers are there (akira leads the pack easily) but with a game like final showdown every character has the tools to deal with opponents on the endgame side of things (which here seems to strongly point to the meta-game). I feel like you are using tiers to mention habits that were prevalent in 3S (almost everyone picked yun, chun, and ken). I don't really blame u tho, as of lately there have been a lot of jacky players (upper tier), but there are also a crap ton of goh and brad and pai players (middle-lower tier)

*edit* and most ppl that pick the above characters don't pick em cuz they're high tier ( they don't even use them right) they pick them cuz they're easy to see results with (results being a win)

Those last three chars aren't low tier by any stretch, but low tier in FS is pretty much Jeff and Eileen to me. You see very few of either of those, but you see fewer Laus, so its not just tiers. I'm not seeing the Pais either. Jeff actually does lack tools though- he has to get lucky to win, but it's not ridiculously hard for him to get lucky if you're good enough.

You also see a ton of Jackys, but not many Akiras or Takas.

Shouta

I don't really see the complaining about tiers in this. It's there but it's still within acceptable limits compared to other games. Player skill still accounts for the vast majority of it. However, I do think that it's a matter of getting over the skill hump as a group though.

alstein

I don't really see the complaining about tiers in this. It's there but it's still within acceptable limits compared to other games. Player skill still accounts for the vast majority of it. However, I do think that it's a matter of getting over the skill hump as a group though.

Yeah, by regular FG standards, this is quite balanced, but it below VF standards a bit.
(some of this may be frustration on my part)

All around, On Block and whiff. Akira's double arm half-circular is negative -4 on recovery, even when you do a full charge one(20+ frames) Wolf's 3K+G is freaking too safe for that big of a move 23 frames on start up and -8 block. Move shouldn't be that safe it if it deals that much damage. While El Blaze has a 17 frame follow up of his 6P, he recovers at 13frames. He is pk punishable by most, or punish badly vs Akira because of his single palm. Again, not going to go deep on this. I competed in this game, and did very well. This VF is boring to me. You like it, kudos. But I can't do more than 30 mins of this game. While VF5 vanilla and the previous titles I could go on for hours.

alstein

All around, On Block and whiff. Akira's double arm half-circular is negative -4 on recovery, even when you do a full charge one(20+ frames) Wolf's 3K+G is freaking too safe for that big of a move 23 frames on start up and -8 block. Move shouldn't be that safe it if it deals that much damage. While El Blaze has a 17 frame follow up of his 6P, he recovers at 13frames. He is pk punishable by most, or punish badly vs Akira because of his single palm. Again, not going to go deep on this. I competed in this game, and did very well. This VF is boring to me. You like it, kudos. But I can't do more than 30 mins of this game. While VF5 vanilla and the previous titles I could go on for hours.

So your problem is that chars are too strong across the board?

That's an argument I've made- that power inflation has creeped into VF and things need to be brought into check in VF6. This is why I get irritated in general with the "never nerf anything" crowd you see in much of the FGC- sometimes nerfs are necessary.

I mean 5R Jeff was broken and OP, yet he'd only be mid-tier in FS.

That's an argument I've made- that power inflation has creeped into VF and things need to be brought into check in VF6. This is why I get irritated in general with the "never nerf anything" crowd you see in much of the FGC- sometimes nerfs are necessary.
If that's the general consensus from the VF community, then it's no wonder that no one plays this game. The way to balance a fighting game is to give everyone strong, unique tools; not by making them all useless.

Exactly. The nerf Jeff got in FS was stupid all around. Why make a grapple character, less of a grapple character...Shit, no throw after threat stance kills his OKI options big time. And splash mountain being a hit throw is dumb.

alstein

Exactly. The nerf Jeff got in FS was stupid all around. Why make a grapple character, less of a grapple character...Shit, no throw after threat stance kills his OKI options big time. And splash mountain being a hit throw is dumb.

Jeff is supposed to be a strike char with decent grapplers- they overnerfed his grapple game. GTS should have been been backbreaker, backbreaker should have been splash.

Also threat needs a rework. That said, the issue is Jeff is the only fair character in FS (except maybe Eileen)- everyone else is too good.

alstein

This was my evening:

mynightinvf5fs.gif

you should be able to duck that, or at least evade it. PK is usually +5 normally, should be +8 on CH. Forget how fast that guardbreak is, but fastest attack in the game is 10f and that guardbreak isn't Vane DS 3P, so duck or 2P abare should beat it.

you should be able to duck that, or at least evade it. PK is usually +5 normally, should be +8 on CH. Forget how fast that guardbreak is, but fastest attack in the game is 10f and that guardbreak isn't Vane DS 3P, so duck or 2P abare should beat it.

Sideturn fucked him. He should have stop blocking, lol.

I was mashing and nothing happened. >=(

Here's 12 minutes of me getting wrecked last night. Sorry about the video quality, I really need to get a capture card so I can take direct feed video of me getting wrecked. Any pointers? I also have another video uploading that includes the match from the GIF.

Edit: Here's the remainder of what I recorded last night. Feel free to give me some pointers. I'm still really struggling with understanding the flow of matches in this game.

My man, you're attacking from far away for no reason. Everytime your attacks get blocked, you 2P. You only 2P if you know you opponent likes to attack high on Disadvantage. The best advice I can tell you to improve is know your character. Know what moves you could fuzzy into or setup a subaki(Akira's Subaki is deadly)pay attention to your opponent. See how he reacts on hit or block. Just keep playing the game and you'll notice things. Go to dojo, and fight the CPU.

Bizazedo

I rarely agree with you, but yeah..

I loved VF and this iteration..I and a fellow VF nut just can't get into it. Everyone's way too powerful, takes some of the mindgames out of it.

I loved VF and this iteration..I and a fellow VF nut just can't get into it. Everyone's way too powerful
Okay, here's the real problem: you're scrubs. A different kind of scrub than I've ever seen, you're much more modest than the typical vocal scrub, but you're still scrubs nonetheless.

If this really is how the overall VF community feels, then it really is no wonder VF never took off. Do people pay to watch two strong boxers get in a ring and beat the snot out of each other or do they pay to watch wimpy guys have slap fights?

I loved VF and this iteration.. Everyone's way too powerful, takes some of the mindgames out of it.
I'm going to call bullshit on this statement. How does it "take away some of the mind-games?"

Where's the mind-game in these two scenarios?
  • Blocked attack and attacker's minus and now I get to respond
  • Blocked attack but attacker's plus on block and has me in a frame-trap

The first option is boring and outcome is obvious. With the second, if I make a false move then I'm really fucked but if I succeed it's awesome. Which one is more of a mind-game? Without the fear of failing in the second scenario, there is no real motivation or adrenaline needed for success.

You're asking for possibly the most boring fighting game ever. You're asking VF to fail again.

Shouta

I should be going assuming Super Arcade doesn't magically belly up before then. I'll probably be getting everything sorted soon.

alstein

I should be going assuming Super Arcade doesn't magically belly up before then. I'll probably be getting everything sorted soon.

I want to do it, will depend some of work, and finding arrangements to stay- it's a one-day event right?

I just know I"m going to get embarassed though- super-disappointed by my NEC showing.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I want to do it, will depend some of work, and finding arrangements to stay- it's a one-day event right?

I just know I"m going to get embarassed though- super-disappointed by my NEC showing.

I'm ready to embarrass myself. Finally getting to see CA, go to Super Arcade, mingle with VF fans is worth the shame of 0-2!

Top Bottom