• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Shouta

There are a few types of splats but generally, walls combos are character specific. The basics guide Sega put out tells you a little bit about it but if you want to learn how to start and extend wall combos, check the character forums.

That's the thing, when I try character specific wall combos, I can't get them to work at all. So I'm trying to figure out how walls work in general since I'm clearly missing something.

Most good combo listings will tell you what hit you need to get the wall splat hit on even if it is on the first hit into wall or a combo carry into a wall for more damage. Tell me what character you're using and i'd be glad to research it or find it on a video.

Is there a VS CPU mode? By that I mean a mode where you pick your guy, pick your opponent, pick a stage and fight the CPU? If so, what about options for time limit/rounds? Thanks in advance.

Is there a VS CPU mode? By that I mean a mode where you pick your guy, pick your opponent, pick a stage and fight the CPU? If so, what about options for time limit/rounds? Thanks in advance.

Nope, VS only works with two controllers so you can't do that. You do get time and round settings for arcade mode and special sparring (if you purchase all of the customization DLC) though.

The closest approximation you could get is enabling the CPU in training mode and set the health bar to Type B which allows for "deaths", but the health bar only applies to the CPU.

I didn't say it wasn't good. I just think tekken takes longer to learn than VF does due to all the characters you have to fight against, Learning two characters, Tag combos, etc... But still hear the complaint that:

VF IS TOO HARD TO LEARN!!!!

danmaku

I didn't say it wasn't good. I just think tekken takes longer to learn than VF does due to all the characters you have to fight against, Learning two characters, Tag combos, etc... But still hear the complaint that:

VF IS TOO HARD TO LEARN!!!!

I just happened to read a couple of TTT2 reviews and both praised Tekken for being easy to learn while VF was "very technical and for expert players only". This bullshit stereotype is hurting the VF brand a lot.

VF characters movelists are long but so are Tekken movelists. Just like tekken though, you probably only use 10 moves regularly and another 6 or so sprinkled in occasionally.

alstein

VF characters movelists are long but so are Tekken movelists. Just like tekken though, you probably only use 10 moves regularly and another 6 or so sprinkled in occasionally.

Not true, except maybe for Taka players.

I think I use about 90% of Jeff's movelist - only things I know I don't use off the top of my head are Kenka Hook and his multithrow.

You're absolutely right that the whole Tekken is easier stuff is complete bullshit, and I do think the poverty gamers realized this, which is why a good number of the folks who were say, AH players bought VF and liked it, even if they didn't end up playing it that much (they're on that Aquapazza or Persona now)

Maybe VF just needs some cross-promotion with AH- give me a Maori Aoi and I'd be happy.

It is mainly true. Most people playing use the same 10 or so moves over and over. More advanced playing will require you to go further in depth. but you can do very well with elbow, jab, low punch, throws and a few more moves in VF or Tekken.

alstein

Knowing the whole movelist really helps give you options when things aren't going well, or you sniff out what your opponent is thinking.

I posted above that I never use Kenka Hook. Today I found a reason to use it due to what my opponent was doing in one match.

Also, different folks use different moves. My Jeff plays pretty differently from Kamais for example (the only real Jeff player of note out there)

I know different people use different moves. I've played fighting games since 1991. My point is people generally have a pattern and they generally use the same moves over and over to some degree. Same launcher or poke they like to throw out for mixups. My point is you can go far with the basics in this game plus a few launchers, strings, a sabaki, throws, and combos and you're good to go in vf if you understand when to attack vs defend.

Not true, except maybe for Taka players.

I think I use about 90% of Jeff's movelist - only things I know I don't use off the top of my head are Kenka Hook and his multithrow.

You're absolutely right that the whole Tekken is easier stuff is complete bullshit, and I do think the poverty gamers realized this, which is why a good number of the folks who were say, AH players bought VF and liked it, even if they didn't end up playing it that much (they're on that Aquapazza or Persona now)

Maybe VF just needs some cross-promotion with AH- give me a Maori Aoi and I'd be happy.
wrong on all counts homie. The best VF player, Adam Yuki, rarely use 8 moves with Jeffery. People pick what works with their playstyle, and that's it. I'll be at NEC this causing havoc with my 6 move Blaze, just like I did in Summer Jam(Got 9th)SEGA already got some cross promotion with DOA(A more popular fighting game, than AH)SEGA needs to add console stuff to their game, like a story mode(You'll be surprise how many people actually give a fuck about this)The games needs personality, and VF lacks that deeply.

Kruza

Is there a "Walls 101?" Can't find anything on VFDC.

Hey grap3fruitman,

I recently spent some time coming up with a bunch of wall combos with Aoi, so I can share my insight on what to look for when creating them.

The first thing I do when it comes to wall combo or standard combo testing is go into CPU Detailed Settings to set Rising Speed to 'Fastest' and Fall Recovery to 'In Place (exact)'. This is the absolute certain way to know that any combo I execute at this point cannot be escaped nor can be tech rolled out of.

The next step was to identify all attacks that fit into these situations which covers the total chronological sequence of a wall combo. These situations are:

1. Wall stagger attacks - Attacks that causes the opponent to bump into the wall and forces a stagger animation after taking the hit.

2. High wall splat attacks - Attacks that literally plasters the opponent on the wall after it hits.

3. Bound attacks - Attacks that stands-up the opponent (soft bound) or bounces the opponent off the ground (hard bound). Soft bounds in particular are critical to extending most wall combos.

4. Low wall slump attacks - Attacks that knocks the opponent into the wall in some type of "sitting" animation then slowly slumps to the ground. Most attacks that cause a wall stagger will also work in this situation as well.

Pay close attention to how your opponent animates on the wall after taking every attack so you'll know exactly when each of these situations occur during the execution of a wall combo.

Once you find out all attacks for your character that works in these particular situations, then you can start to piece together specific attacks for experimentation, plus know what animations to expect from the opponent once you try them. You may also find opportunities to slip in extra attacks that don't necessarily fit in the aforementioned situations so to maximize damage output of the combo.

Lastly, keep in mind that a standing jab always precedes a hard bound attack during the execution of any combo. So do not forget this info if you come up with any wall combo that you wish to include a hard bound attack in.

Good luck in your experimentation!

Kruza

alstein

wrong on all counts homie. The best VF player, Adam Yuki, rarely use 8 moves with Jeffery. People pick what works with their playstyle, and that's it. I'll be at NEC this causing havoc with my 6 move Blaze, just like I did in Summer Jam(Got 9th)SEGA already got some cross promotion with DOA(A more popular fighting game, than AH)SEGA needs to add console stuff to their game, like a story mode(You'll be surprise how many people actually give a fuck about this)The games needs personality, and VF lacks that deeply.

I'm not saying you can't use few moves, but you need to know your entire movelist, for there is always a situation where any given move (except for a few truly useless moves) is the best move to use.

Sometimes I do dumb down the movelist, but that's pretty rare.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
I'm not saying you can't use few moves, but you need to know your entire movelist, for there is always a situation where any given move (except for a few truly useless moves) is the best move to use.

Sometimes I do dumb down the movelist, but that's pretty rare.

i too would have to disagree. i mean its nice to know them all, but i usually stick to 5 or 6 moves as well. It makes it easier for me to keep track of situations. I notice my favorite players doing the same as well

Sorry to post on such short notice, but I'll be hosting another room tonight at the same time as last week, from around 21h/9 PM Eastern Time. I'll post again when the room is up. If you want to join in, just post in the thread or send me a message.

I might join if I see your post here, been too busy with DOA lately.

OK, that's fine by me.

The room's up, by the way. You can let me know if you want in by the method mentioned in the last post, or by sending me a message on PSN. My ID's SousedLouse, same as on GAF.

Edit: The room's closed for tonight. Thanks to everyone who joined in this week.

alstein

GG to Shidosha. Need to work on my adaptability- you had some nice setups I hadn't seen (I rarely see Taka, let alone a good one that uses more than 1 combo setup)

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
gg :D it's been a minute since i fought a jeff so i had to remember how to adjust. I took a break for far too long - my movement & adaptations are SHOT

AAK

I've been concentrating so much for Tekken that I forgot its not the only game I'm entering for T13. I havent touched VF5 in a while and I need to brush up. Can any of you guys let me know when you're on PSN? Thanks :)

I've been concentrating so much for Tekken that I forgot its not the only game I'm entering for T13. I havent touched VF5 in a while and I need to brush up. Can any of you guys let me know when you're on PSN? Thanks :)

I'll be on tonight around 7 CST. Wouldn't mind getting wrecked in Tekken for a little bit too.

AAK

I'll be online for now, don't know how long. VF PSN: AAK924

EDIT: Wow, Ranked & Player Match is kinda empty :(

Also got news that T13 might not even have a VF5 tournament. They'll add it if they get enough entries on the day of. As of now, there is no pre-registration for it.

I'll be online for now, don't know how long. VF PSN: AAK924

EDIT: Wow, Ranked & Player Match is kinda empty :(

Also got news that T13 might not even have a VF5 tournament. They'll add it if they get enough entries on the day of. As of now, there is no pre-registration for it.

Are you still on? I'll play a little bit.

AAK

Let's play :)

I'm hella rusty. I finally got a ranked match against this 7th Dan Jeffrey and I lost while playing Aoi. He messaged me back trashing my Warrior Rank LOL.

EDIT: Wait, did you wanna play this or TTT2?

EDIT2: Damn, I actually have to go now... :( Sorry man

Let's play :)

I'm hella rusty. I finally got a ranked match against this 7th Dan Jeffrey and I lost while playing Aoi. He messaged me back trashing my Warrior Rank LOL.

EDIT: Wait, did you wanna play this or TTT2?

EDIT2: Damn, I actually have to go now... :( Sorry man

NM

1. Wall stagger attacks - Attacks that causes the opponent to bump into the wall and forces a stagger animation after taking the hit.

2. High wall splat attacks - Attacks that literally plasters the opponent on the wall after it hits.

3. Bound attacks - Attacks that stands-up the opponent (soft bound) or bounces the opponent off the ground (hard bound). Soft bounds in particular are critical to extending most wall combos.

4. Low wall slump attacks - Attacks that knocks the opponent into the wall in some type of "sitting" animation then slowly slumps to the ground. Most attacks that cause a wall stagger will also work in this situation as well.

Pay close attention to how your opponent animates on the wall after taking every attack so you'll know exactly when each of these situations occur during the execution of a wall combo.
That's just the thing, I can't figure out what causes these various wall scenarios and it seems really inconsistent. I'll try and copy a wall combo out of someone's video but I can't recreate the scenario to save my life. I'm talking like first hit too. I think the guy was hit the opponent into the wall with Akra's 1P on normal hit, did some stuff and then did 1P to make the guy hit the wall again. To this day I still can't get 1P to knock someone into the wall.

Unrelated note, I suck at execution; halp plz.

That's just the thing, I can't figure out what causes these various wall scenarios and it seems really inconsistent. I'll try and copy a wall combo out of someone's video but I can't recreate the scenario to save my life. I'm talking like first hit too. I think the guy was hit the opponent into the wall with Akra's 1P on normal hit, did some stuff and then did 1P to make the guy hit the wall again. To this day I still can't get 1P to knock someone into the wall.

Unrelated note, I suck at execution; halp plz.

I had the same problem with the Toryu Tenshin Hazankai, it's a tough move. I got some good advice here you can probably use:

http://virtuafighter.com/threads/executing-the-toryu-tenshin-hazankai.16539/

Most important thing is to let the stick return to neutral after 3 p+k+g. Everything gets easier after that. Still, my execution with this move is still awful, maybe a 20% completion rate, with 60% getting to the third stage.

If you tell me more about the 1P wall combo I might be able to help you. Are you saying he did 1P to set up wall splat, comboed and then did it again to splat the opponent again?

If you tell me more about the 1P wall combo I might be able to help you. Are you saying he did 1P to set up wall splat, comboed and then did it again to splat the opponent again?
Okay, found the combo and I recalled incorrectly; 1P is the second hit but it is the move that's supposed to cause the wall splat. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp8B6dKuUO4&t=50s

He does Akira's P+K on counter-hit (P.S. what causes counter-hit status in VF?) then 1P to slam the opponent into the wall. I can't get that at all. I set the CPU to normal hit, counter hit, normal or counter and nada. Any idea?

If you want to try that entire combo, the notion is P+K 1P G+K !G 214P 1P P 43P 4PP+K

Okay, found the combo and I recalled incorrectly; 1P is the second hit but it is the move that's supposed to cause the wall splat. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp8B6dKuUO4&t=50s

He does Akira's P+K on counter-hit (P.S. what causes counter-hit status in VF?) then 1P to slam the opponent into the wall. I can't get that at all. I set the CPU to normal hit, counter hit, normal or counter and nada. Any idea?

If you want to try that entire combo, the notion is P+K 1P G+K !G 214P 1P P 43P 4PP+K

It's impossible to tell from the video what causes the counter-hit for the first P+K, but I imagine Jacky was in the middle of doing a move, which P+K interrupts, triggering a CH. Then he does 246+P to get the first heavy wall splat. When he does the 1P later in the combo, it's not a full wall splat, it's what I believe you would call a wall stun.

But you can't get the first 1P to wall splat right? Do you get the struggle (joystick) animation after the P+K?

Although it should work when CPU is set to CH, try setting it to just P or something simple, then interrupting it with your P+K.

Kruza

adversesoutions is right -- that wall combo done by Akira in that video shown above was started by a counter hit on an interrupted attempt of a half circular attack by Jacky, which is confirmed by the orange arrow showing up on the right side of the screen during the wall stagger.

At any rate, keep in mind that there are certain attacks for each character that can cause a wall stagger only on counter hit and not on normal hit, and there are attacks that can cause a wall stagger in either scenario.

And the second hard bump off the wall from Jacky is indeed a wall stun. Looks like Akira is able to force this animation on his opponent while executing this particular wall combo. Good stuff.

Kruza

I had the same problem with the Toryu Tenshin Hazankai, it's a tough move. I got some good advice here you can probably use:

http://virtuafighter.com/threads/executing-the-toryu-tenshin-hazankai.16539/

Most important thing is to let the stick return to neutral after 3 p+k+g. Everything gets easier after that. Still, my execution with this move is still awful, maybe a 20% completion rate, with 60% getting to the third stage.

Glad to be of service. If your rate is only 20 percent you might try a different stick perhaps. I have a hrap 3 and it is harder to do it than on my new hrap v3 sa vf5fs edition due to the difference in stick height above the base. I can hit it consistently on this one. If you can get the third hit the fourth is easy as you can input the last command multiple times and it will come out. (back forward P+K over and over to make it come out). This is especially easier if you input the command as fast as you can so you have more time to input the last part multiple times.

Glad to be of service. If your rate is only 20 percent you might try a different stick perhaps. I have a hrap 3 and it is harder to do it than on my new hrap v3 sa vf5fs edition due to the difference in stick height above the base. I can hit it consistently on this one. If you can get the third hit the fourth is easy as you can input the last command multiple times and it will come out. (back forward P+K over and over to make it come out). This is especially easier if you input the command as fast as you can so you have more time to input the last part multiple times.

Ah that was you, thanks man! Yeah that helped me out.

Yeah my stick on the PS3 is a Seimitsu which I think is adding to my issues. I also mentioned on VFDC that I have a lot of problems playing from the 2P side and I think this stems from my stick as well. Will try swapping it out this weekend for a short Sanwa. That's what you mean right, that a shorter stick might be easier to pull off moves like this on?

alstein

Ah that was you, thanks man! Yeah that helped me out.

Yeah my stick on the PS3 is a Seimitsu which I think is adding to my issues. I also mentioned on VFDC that I have a lot of problems playing from the 2P side and I think this stems from my stick as well. Will try swapping it out this weekend for a short Sanwa. That's what you mean right, that a shorter stick might be easier to pull off moves like this on?

I know some folks say Seimitsu is better for VF. Unsure if switching would help.

I tried a semitsu in the hrap3 and swapped back in the Sanwa JLF. The stick height difference is due to the case. The sticks are the same in my hrap3 and the VF5fs HRAP.

It's impossible to tell from the video what causes the counter-hit for the first P+K, but I imagine Jacky was in the middle of doing a move, which P+K interrupts, triggering a CH. Then he does 246+P to get the first heavy wall splat. When he does the 1P later in the combo, it's not a full wall splat, it's what I believe you would call a wall stun.
Why would it matter what specific move Jacky is doing? It should cause counter-hit as long as he's doing anything, the particular move shouldn't matter, should it?

Here's what happens when I try the same thing, P+K followed with 1P: http://youtu.be/ggEPIgzpgqU

Tried it on counter hit, normal hit and neutral. I'm not sure what the difference is between the last two honestly.

I might be jumping in without knowing exactly what you're talking about and I'm not an Akira player, but that combo at 50s in the original video isn't p+k followed by 1p. It's p+k followed by 246p.

So your notation isn't P+K 1P G+K !G 214P 1P P 43P 4PP+K. It's P+K 246P G+K !G 214P 1P P 43P 4PP+K

adversesolutions actually mentioned it earlier.

Top Bottom