• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

alstein

I really hate playing random Shuns. Just becomes a test of my patience and ability to punish, which goes to squat when I get impatient, especially when knees tend to hit Shun weird.

Shouta

End of Summer 2012 is happening up here in Seattle this weekend and VF should be on Sunday. I don't know if they're streaming it or not though. We should have a decent pool sized pool of players.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Anyone want to play some this weekend? We could try getting a GAF room going if there's enough interest.

Edgeward

I would be interested tomorrow night. Not sure when I'll be home as I will be out but I would like to get some games in as it's been too long.

Kyouji

I'm available to host a room for the next 60 minutes or so, send Pak38 a message if you want to play some on PS3.

Edgeward

I'll be on for a few matches then

Edit

ggs, another beatdown but twas still fun. Still trying to get a flow going instead of stop n starts. Plus I still know fuck all about the fundamentals

Kyouji

Great games to Edgeward and alstein! Man, alstein's Jeffry was doing a number on us, haha. Now I've experienced the Jeffry Beatdown from both Kamais and alstein. Is there anything glaringly obvious that I need to work on in my game, alstein? I know I don't fuzzy enough... Need to count my Flamingo frames more too, heh.

Hope to do this again next week.

alstein

You were adjusting at the end- I needed to 2P more but I was trying to not do that since I"ve been told I overrely on it (kinda hard with Jeff to not use 2P , gotta find the right balance)

Edgeward

Yea I had absolutely no clue what to do with Jeffrey. Maybe if I was using a better char I could use faster attacks but I use Wolf so hahahaha nope. Just got bodied. Be nice to get a weekly session in. I agree

Shouta

Our VF tourny should be streaming tomorrow on twitch.tv/manoftheleaf starting around noon West Coast time. At least, I think it should be streaming on there. I was playing in the BYOC area all day heh.

Got up to Raider rank today in ranked and then slowly lost to massively skilled Japanese players that were Barbarian and above...ugh.

The last match before I got demoted was with another Akira player, had him 2-0 and down to 2% health after I hit him with Akira's pop-a-can palm -> low kick, punch combo but I didn't have a finisher for Akira's weight class and whiffed the last hit, which let him come back and kill me. He took the next two rounds and went on to Defender rank while I sunk back down to Hunter.

UGGHHGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

akuma001

Our VF tourny should be streaming tomorrow on twitch.tv/manoftheleaf starting around noon West Coast time. At least, I think it should be streaming on there. I was playing in the BYOC area all day heh.

good luck at the tourney today.

hoping my fellow el blaze players you and femto do well and hoping for renzo to do good too.

looks to be a pretty exciting tourney with guys like masared, ayufanboy, chanchai, and kamais in the mix.

Shouta

I did like 30-40 matches against Chanchai's Lion yesterday. It's pretty sick. Gotta be really patient otherwise he's gonna backdash cancel kick your face. My ratio was like 1:3 against him.

Shouta

Aaand, I got trolled by Kamais lol. I did a little better in casuals but my pad needs hella maintenance and I was pretty tired. Got a round on Renzo's Jacky in the Team 6v6 (well 5v5 really) though.

alstein

Don't let yourself get trolled by Kamais- I troll you enough with Jeff, you should know something about the matchup ^_^

Seriously, folks still run online even when there's no one on, what the hell are they online for if not to play?

Shouta

No, you don't troll me enough! Outside of you, I haven't actually played against many Jeff players, so KO's non-shell shocked play was a bit rough lol. I've found I play better at the start of sessions too, which is kinda bad for longer running tournaments.

I'm gonna need to pick up a 360 controller or some sort of custom one so I can use that for VF when we aren't playing on a PS3. My PS1 pad through the adapter still has too much input delay for me and it's getting pretty beat up. Turns out that when I hit down, if I hit with even just a little left or right to it, I'll get down back or down forward. It makes it pretty hard to 2P properly or get certain attacks and timings. A few of my evade cancels/steps came out ugly as a result. Same thing with my up. i got a few Up instead of Up forwards which caused me to do the jumping hammer instead of the demon dance.

Is it just me, or is the online community for this kind of dead? I DLed the game the other day, but I haven't been able to get the "play 1 ranked match" trophy because I don't get a single fight before I get bored of the matchmaking screen.

I realized I needed to change from same area to worldwide. I got plenty of matches then, lost every single one! Kinda wish the matchmaking was better, what's the point of matching a 10th kyu up against people with 10 000 points, or 3000 matches?

I realized I needed to change from same area to worldwide. I got plenty of matches then, lost every single one! Kinda wish the matchmaking was better, what's the point of matching a 10th kyu up against people with 10 000 points, or 3000 matches?

You can choose who you want to play from a list if you want, but at this point in the game there aren't many players to choose from.

You can choose who you want to play from a list if you want, but at this point in the game there aren't many players to choose from.

That's too bad. The offline modes are pretty bare bones, so online is what would keep me playing. I might just take my lumps for a while to see if I can get competitive (though I'll never be good enough to do all that multi throw buffering), but I'm already wondering if I should just move over to Tekken.

Kyouji

Depending on where you are at, you might want to try joining us tomorrow night. I'm planning to host a PSN GAF room for a bit; no time set yet but it'll probably be around 20h or 21h Eastern Time. I will post in this thread when it goes up.

Depending on where you are at, you might want to try joining us tomorrow night. I'm planning to host a PSN GAF room for a bit; no time set yet but it'll probably be around 20h or 21h Eastern Time. I will post in this thread when it goes up.

Okay, cool. I'll hand out some free wins. I've been playing the series since 3tb on the Dreamcast, but I haven't touched it since VF5 in 2007 so I've devolved to sheer scrubitude.

Got in plenty of matches after all, have about 30 under my belt. I still lose most of the time, but at least I can put up a fight.

Mostly been using Aoi, she's fun, but it gets frustrating at times with how little reach and damage she has. I find I suddenly do much better switching to Lion. I want to learn Jean as well, his moves are pretty cool.

Played a bunch of matches since yesterday, this game is really good. Enough that it prompted me to download the DLC pack that has all the characters I'm currently using. I'll probably get the other when I get another PSN card on Monday for NiGHTS HD.

Is there a guide to walls? I can't seem to figure out how they work. I see people use the shit out of them in videos and whatnot but I can never replicate their results.

Played through the game again to compare it with DOA5. I can appreciate it more now. Too bad there are no people online.
This. I got really frustrated trying DOA5 last night and had to put on Final Showdown to calm me down.

Kyouji

Hey guys, hate to do this, but I got hit with some extra school work and can't make time to play tonight. I think there's enough people interested that you guys could organise something in this thread and play anyways though.

Sorry about this, and I hope I'll be able to host next weekend.

Hey guys, hate to do this, but I got hit with some extra school work and can't make time to play tonight. I think there's enough people interested that you guys could organise something in this thread and play anyways though.

Sorry about this, and I hope I'll be able to host next weekend.

That's a shame, but thanks for telling us.

If anyone's interested, I could host the room tonight instead. My connection is decent, and I can host for the next 2 hours or so. Just post in this thread or the IRC channel, or send me a PM online if you'd like to join in.

My PSN ID is SousedLouse, same as my GAF username.

That's a shame, but thanks for telling us.

If anyone's interested, I could host the room tonight instead. My connection is decent, and I can host for the next 2 hours or so. Just post in this thread or the IRC channel, or send me a PM online if you'd like to join in.

My PSN ID is SousedLouse, same as my GAF username.

I'm down to play. PSN: Famicom

Sorry to bail early, I'm actually working from home right now. It's the kind of thing where if we had a full room going, I could drop in when it's my turn, but if it's just us it's a bit hard to get stuff done.

You were clobbering me anyway, as you can tell I've got about 1.5 characters down cumulatively at this point. I could barely remember Jean's move list.

I'll check back in when I'm done at 11.

I'm down to play. PSN: Famicom

OK, invite sent.

Sorry to bail early, I'm actually working from home right now. It's the kind of thing where if we had a full room going, I could drop in when it's my turn, but if it's just us it's a bit hard to get stuff done.

You were clobbering me anyway, as you can tell I've got about 1.5 characters down cumulatively at this point. I could barely remember Jean's move list.

Yeah, I understand. Sorry about accidentally starting that match near the end.

I thought your Aoi was pretty solid myself. Can't speak for Leon or Jean though, since I don't know much about those characters.

GGs, I am so rusty from online inactivity. :( Lots of fun though still

I had a good time, too. GGs dude.

Well, two people joined in, even if they came in at totally different times. We had some close matches, too. I'm going to have to close up the room, though. Thanks for playing, folks.

I don't know how next week's going to go, but if I end up hosting again you can expect things to start up around the same time.

Top Bottom