• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah I just noticed that I started doing better when I stopped thinking about all the things I wasn't doing and focused on the basics. I still do look up some frame data though to see which moves are fast and hit practice after someone hits me to many times to see if the move is punishable (practice data is so good in this game).

Really enjoying the game so far for sure, only thing is that in addition to learning a new fighter I'm also learning how to play on a new control method (bought a stick recently). Its all good though, I can already see this game being beneficial when playing fighting games in general.
One thing that I wish I spent the time to learn earlier is the lazy throw escape. It's a good habit to develop- whenever you're blocking, might as well be breaking a throw too. As a rule of thumb, forward throw is many characters' most damaging throw so just go for that unless you got a read on something else. Successful TE's give you +6 or something so it puts your opponent in nitaku.

BadWolf

One thing that I wish I spent the time to learn earlier is the lazy throw escape. It's a good habit to develop- whenever you're blocking, might as well be breaking a throw too. As a rule of thumb, forward throw is many characters' most damaging throw so just go for that unless you got a read on something else. Successful TE's give you +6 or something so it puts your opponent in nitaku.

Thanks man, I'll be sure to incorporate that :)

oneida

some great Japanese players are writing a blog in English to give pieces of advice/explanation to other players.... and trust me, we all have to learn from them :)

http://blog.livedoor.jp/dora_nekoaki/archives/1930660.html

As it happens, this content was mostly lifted from the Western VF scene :D

This guard buffering stuff goes a little over my head. Pretty cool that they've determined the input buffer to be 12 frames - I thought it was only 10! That's really amazing.

/edit/

studied it a bit further, and the value in such tech is made clear in the video. Jeffry fails to sidestep Akira's 46P because during the first frame after recovery, Akira delayed 46P while Jeffry sidestepped. The video then demonstrates that it doesn't seem to affect CH's.

But that's what I don't understand. In the diagrams given, the attack comes out a frame late. "Guard Buffering should always be carried out unless otherwise noted." wouldn't that negatively affect CH set-ups?

oneida

Well, didn't see this coming.

1AKS5Qq.jpg

AAK

I really want to play this game more. Any of you guys on PSN feel like playing this again after the SegaCup announcement?

See you guys there again. I'm actually have time to play VF hardcore this year. Mexico will be back. El Blaze Mafia at full force once again. I'm going to rock with the NoCal crew again then head south to the venue. Love San Fran.

oneida

randomly started to play this game again last night. man, I suck even more now.

when all else fails, keep it simple.

use your elbow (6P for most characters). it's fast and hits mid.
was it blocked? you're at minor disadvantage, you should block.
did it hit CH (yellow flash)? you have frame advantage, keep attacking!

that cycle should be your panic button.

when your comfortable with it, fuzzy guard when your elbow is blocked. throw after your elbow hits CH. build up from here.

when all else fails, keep it simple.

use your elbow (6P for most characters). it's fast and hits mid.
was it blocked? you're at minor disadvantage, you should block.
did it hit CH (yellow flash)? you have frame advantage, keep attacking!

that cycle should be your panic button.

when your comfortable with it, fuzzy guard when your elbow is blocked. throw after your elbow hits CH. build up from here.

Just guard? ETEG that noise!

learning option selects aren't important until you're comfortable with VF at the most basic level.

To be fair, i think dodging after a guarded elbow (most of them anyway) is the better option for a while because unless they like to throw after guarding EVERYTHING you're in a more advantageous position. Guarding is important, but if someone wants to go balls to the wall when panicked they're better served evading, IMO.

That and, with the simplified throw system in VF5FS, an ETEG is the most you can do rather than the ETTEG like in the 4 series.

oneida

To be fair, i think dodging after a guarded elbow (most of them anyway) is the better option for a while because unless they like to throw after guarding EVERYTHING you're in a more advantageous position. Guarding is important, but if someone wants to go balls to the wall when panicked they're better served evading, IMO.

That and, with the simplified throw system in VF5FS, an ETEG is the most you can do rather than the ETTEG like in the 4 series.

Sidestep is not a better option than guarding, it's just a different option. in the case of a blocked elbow, a fuzzy guard is the safest option - while a sidestep is vulnerable to circulars, throws, lows and delay attacks (options that every character has), a fuzzy guard is only vulnerable to guard breaks, low throws and delay attacks, the first two of which many characters do not have. generally ETEs and EDCs are used in forced nitaku situations (-6 and below.)

when it comes down to guarding or sidestepping, you'll get blown up WAY harder if someone catches you sidestepping due to the added counter-hit properties of any move that hits a sidestep.

Jaeger

Thread resurrection! Quick question, but Dural. Is it just me, or in Final Showdown she has a unique stance, and is more larger than her Vanessa based VF5 vanilla incarnation?

oneida

There is a chance VF5FS will be an official game at Toryuken 4 after strong attendance at CECC2.

oneida

Might as well update with some upcoming events...

Next month is NYGX. 3 days of VF, featuring arcade versions of VF Remix, Kids, 3, 3tb, 4FT and 5R. Streamed. Trailer here.

October 30th is Canada Cup 2015. For the first time in the tournament series' history, VF will be an official game.

RITT5 is in November. VF will be there, too.

Toryuken 4 was lots of fun. I'll be at all the above events.

Top Bottom