• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why TF are dogs allowed in the cities?

Cyberpunkd

Don't even start with "dog is a man's best friend", "a member of our family", "don't tell me what to do", bla, bla, bla.

Listen - here's the deal: you want a dog you get a damn house with a garden. Do not keep them in the damn apartment in the city full of cars and people.

1. They piss on the street - and you cannot clean this. So all the buildings have all the time piss stains, stone discoloration, etc.

2. They shit and people don't clean after them - I don't know, maybe there should be a dog tax (if there isn't already), or it should go up by 500% with all the profits being dedicated to cleaning the streets EVERY DAMN DAY, since this is how often I see the shit on the street while walking with kids. I never caught anyone, which probably means fuckers go out at 6am when there is nobody around.

You have a garden, no problem, dog can do their thing over there. If you live in an apartment in the city - get a damn cat, they are the right animals for your situation. Or a turtle, rabbit, goldfish.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Matthew Broderick Ah202 GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Well, no, you can’t do anything about dogs. It’s a persons right to be able to own a dog. If you don’t like the city you’re in because of dogs, move to another fucking city.
This will be the same in another city since the dogs are allowed in cities. It's your right to own dogs, just move outside and get a house and a garden.

Cyberpunkd

Why should they move? You’re the one with the problem, you pack your stuff up and move the fuck away.
I'm sorry if you have no problem with dog piss and poo, however some people are more civilized.

Just ban male dogs then, the bitches sit and piss like classy ladies.

That is actually a fair point, but then again the females piss on the sidewalk then, so instead of vertical stains we got small pools of pee.

Last edited:
Move to a nice area. Where I live people pick the freshly baked dog poop up. But most people just throw their dogs into their SUV and drive to the nearest park/forest. That's why I never see poop or even piss stains here.

Loope

I'm sorry if you have no problem with dog piss and poo, however some people are more civilized.

That is actually a fair point, but then again the females piss on the sidewalk then, so instead of vertical stains we got small pools of pee.
My dog shits in the street and i clean up after him, also he pisses mostly on trees etc.

Seems to me that this is more of human problem, rather than the animals.

nush

I'm sorry you have to step in dog pee, I hope the soles of your shoes will be OK. That must be much harder to avoid than spat out chewing gum.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
In the UK, you get a fine for not cleaning up your dog's shit. Regardless if it's in a city or a field, you need to bag it up and place it in special dog poop bins.

Cyberpunkd

I'm sorry you have to step in dog pee, I hope the soles of your shoes will be OK. That must be much harder to avoid than spat out chewing gum.
Well, here's the thing - I don't see the chewing gum on the street. Worse, I don't even see many cigarettes buds. It's only dog shit and pee.
In the UK, you get a fine for not cleaning up your dog's shit. Regardless if it's in a city or a field, you need to bag it up and place it in special dog poop bins.
In France as well, 135€, but you need to A. Be a police oficer, and B. catch someone in the act. We don't have special dog poop bins, but it is no problem to drop it in a regular one, of which there are many around Paris.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

I've never seen dog shit just sitting in streets anywhere but I have seen homeless fucks just using streets as toilets and really, how the hell would you know if it's dog pee or not? It's more likely it's also homeless piss.

Cyberpunkd

You live in France? I'm calling bullshit.
I too am shocked with how many people smoke cigarettes here, but they seem to mostly behave.
I've never seen dog shit just sitting in streets anywhere but I have seen homeless fucks just using streets as toilets and really, how the hell would you know if it's dog pee or not? It's more likely it's also homeless piss.
No homeless where I live.

Alx

We don't have special dog poop bins
Depends on the city. Probably not in Paris itself, where it's hard to have room for such things (also a bother to add any infrastructure because of historical comitees), but many cities even in the suburbs have them.
Also many cities should have "canisettes" (or "vespachiennes", people are creative with naming those :p ).
image.jpg

I love dogs too, but wouldn't own one in a city. Even a garden isn't sufficient, since you're supposed to have the dog walk around to exercise and discover his environment.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Its funny, 2022 - humanity has been on the Moon, is working to colonize Mars but we can't come up with something that prevents city streets be full of shit and piss. I don get it.

I also find people who have dogs in flats strange, these poor animals. No different than a bear in a zoo etc.

That's not wrong.
I have a 95m² apartment with a balcony and 120m² attic and even I think my cat has way to less space.

People having dogs in a 50m² apartment are just cruel.

nush

I also find people who have dogs in flats strange, these poor animals. No different than a bear in a zoo etc.

I saved my dog from living in a cage all it's life. She now lives in my penthouse, 6AM we go to walk on the roof which covers the whole apartment block. She has a walk outside at least ca day depending on my schedule. She's a small dog, but there are people I've seen with big dogs living in small apartments, even I think WFT are you thinking?

Cyberpunkd

Well if you live in France no wonder, the french dont clean up their shit
This pisses me off the most - I see WAY LESS poo on all the adjacent streets, there is for sure 1-2 dipshits that live here or they come on purpose to make sure their dog does not make a dump on their street. It's ridiculous, since the street is barely 100m long.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

That piss and shit isn’t just dogs I’m afraid.
Fair assumption, but I smacked the last fucker that tried to pee behind a car, and as I mentioned place where I live doesn't have homeless or loud fuckers. The dogs are at fault.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Going to capital cities in Europe and seeing people with dogs everywhere but zero shit on the street. Almost like they must be enforcing it hard.

How is that enforced?

Here in the city I live in the United States, people are purposely neglectful, sometimes straight up malicious. They don't clean dog shit. And let their dogs piss in the concrete sidewalks. There's seemingly no reliable way to enforce the clean up law.

The really conscientious dog owners train their dogs to piss and shit by the trees instead of the concrete sidewalks, and pick up their dogs' shit. But anecdotally I've found those kinds of owners to be the exception rather than the rule.

For 3 out of the 4 seasons of the year, I enjoy jogging/running outside almost daily, and half the time I'm running I have to look down at the sidewalk because I might step on a pool of dog piss or a pile of dog shit. (There's the issue of piss pools generated by humans, too, but that's not the main subject of the thread.)

I don't think dogs should be banned from cities, that's a ridiculous concept.

Cities in general, at least here in the US, have much bigger aesthetic problems that are caused by humans, not dogs. Dogs don't graffiti. Dogs aren't responsible for some home owners or apartment building managers not taking care of the building exteriors. Dogs aren't responsible for the garbage a lot of humans just throw on the street. Dogs are not responsible for the homeless tents in the middle of city parks. Etc etc etc, this list can go on for days

I'm currently not a dog owner myself -- my lifestyle at the moment doesn't support owning a dog since they're a lot of maintenance. But, I do like dogs and think they're very good for people. In an age where people seem stressed out and easily agitated, a dog's generally happy demeanor and indestructible loyalty are really good things.

Catphish

My only issue is with big dogs in small units. Something like a friggin Bernese Mountain Dog has no business being cooped up in a 2-bedroom apartment.

Ankle biters aren't much different than cats, really, so that's fine.

If the owners aren't cleaning up after them, then the issue is with the owner, not the dog.

Top Bottom