• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has Gran Turismo managed to maintain it's relevance on the market while Forza Motorsport is struggling?

Gambit2483

This thread seems familiar

bender

What time is it?
I'm not the biggest simulation fan but I always dip my toes into the water when a new GT releases. Passion is hard to quantify but you can feel the love and attention to detail that is poured into these games. It's like talking to a family member about a band in a music genre that you have zero interest in, but their genuine excitement gets you to check to check out a few songs.

Other simulators often feel sterile and clinical in contrast. That's not necessarily a bad thing for the more hardcore audience.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

I'm confused, did you mean to reply to me? Maybe the link isn't working properly?

sendit

Because of this man's attention to detail:
DTXeOGZ.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
GT was Sonys first PlayStation mega hit.. What was it like 11 million sold? There was literally nothing like it that came close And it was uncontested for years .. just built a bigger and bigger fan base.

While I still think 3 was the last really great GT. The last 3 were not bad at all.

Guilty_AI

That cannot be right, where did you get the 10m sales from?
Some article i remember reading. But its true it could've mixed up with the whole "users" thing MS does with gamepass, though in 2018/2019 gamepass was still not much of a deal.

Frwrd

Gran Turismo feels like a luxury product that in many ways transcends just being a game. It's a pure celebration of everything automotive that even has car nuts who aren't typically gamers creaming themselves over it. The care and dedication that goes into all facets of the game is absolutely unrivaled, and it's not just because the car detail is the best in the industry - it's everything else, like the history lessons the game gives:

The unique manufacturer partnerships in Vision GT:

The autistically detailed photo mode:

Even the menu design with the smooth jazz music creates the impression of something expensive:

Forza, and other racing games - hell, let us expand that to just other games in general - are good but come nowhere close to replicating the sophistication of GT. A release of a GT is an event like nothing else in gaming.

And that's just describing the 'feels' of the game. It is no slouch in terms of the technical details either like visuals, car and track selection, and best-in-class VR support.

This.

Beechos

It's just playstation dominance what xbox game/genre sells more or is more popular than its playstation equivalent prob none.

Beechos

The recent gran turismo loses by default with its 20 min intro unskippable cut scene everytime you turn the game on.

IMO it’s because an entire generation of gamers grew up to become car enthusiasts because of GT and everything that came afterwards always felt lacking in some department. A few weekends on Seattle Circuit trying to wrestle submission into a completely decked out FD RX7 remains a Top 10 gaming memory for me.

GT always feels like a passion project driven by a group of people who well and truly adore cars with Kaz being the most fanatical to lead the bunch, to great strength and weakness.

Forza (for me) always felt clinical and rote in its gameplay because it , from the start, was intended to be a by the numbers counterpoint to GT, not something its own.

The last entry I enjoyed personally was Forza 3 but everything after felt bland.

Yoboman

1. Other racing sims were pretty crap back in the day so the competition was just Forza vs GT. The improvement in other sims has meant console Sims have become their own sub niche and neither is necessarily the best and most realistic
2. GT has closed the gap on online advantages Forza used to have by dedicating their time to GT Sport
3. GT has always had a very clear brand identity for what it is. High quality cars, a bit pretentious but knows what it is. Those advantages only become more evident as we get to higher levels of definition. Meanwhile Forza still feels a bit off the factory production line
4. Forza's time in front coincided with GTs big struggles on PS3 and before that Xbox having a big technical lead on PS2. The playing field is level now

Rac3r

Gran Turismo has always been a superior series that does a better job of catering to both casual people and car/racing enthusiasts alike. It's accessible enough and the physics are realistic enough (without going all out like iRacing or ACC). The series also holds a lot of weight in terms of being a graphical showcase. No one does car models like Polyphony.

Forza games of the past have always delivered on content, but they're really just arcade games dressed up as something more serious. That's why the online communities in those games don't really stick around; because the racing experience isn't as good as it should be.

Meanwhile, the worst reviewed GT game (GT Sport), with the least amount of single-player content in the series, had linear growth in players from 2017-2021. People stick around when the actual racing experience is good.

tldr; quality > quantity

Last edited:
Both games have 8 iterations.

One franchise (8 games) has sold 16 million copies. The other franchise (8 games) has sold 90 million copies.

So, yes, one franchise has maintained its relevance, while the other one kind of never gained it. Also, in terms of recent sales:

547ZKo8.jpg
Not that it really change the facts, but the article on Forza is talking of sales up to 2021, so for the first 7 games in the franchise. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that the GT sales numbers also include the various "Prologue" entry ( even if those had limited commercial appeal, in respect to the main entries) and the PSP game so,I believe, 11 games in total ?

Warablo

I mean Gran Turismo was great in the PS2 days. I find the regular Forza Motorsport boring, but Forza Horizon series is a blast.

Hudo

Gran Turismo has always been a superior series that does a better job of catering to both casual people and car/racing enthusiasts alike. It's accessible enough and the physics are realistic enough (without going all out like iRacing or ACC). The series also holds a lot of weight in terms of being a graphical showcase. No one does car models like Polyphony.
Eh... I remember a time where Polyphony had to split their car models into "premium" and "standard", where most of the models were the standard ones and these were just taken from the PS2 games. And at the same time, Polyphony received plenty of ridicule for their shitty audio when it came to the engine/exhaust sounds of the cars.
So in that regard, Gran Turismo always having been superior is a bit of a stretch, imho. But GT7 is pretty good, especially after GT Sport, which launched in a pretty bare bones state.

GT4 is still the best.

TrebleShot

Gran Turismo was a system seller here in Europe, the style accessibility and gameplay is perfect for a wider audience.
Sure you get ultra realistic physics and controls on PC with games like iRacing etc but lets be honest they aren't compelling packages and usually only work if you have an insane set up.

GT is a cultural thing its like tekken, THPS, COD etc Forza is just another racer, its like GRID, NFS etc its big but its not the same thing and you can tell the moment you load It up.

Forza is a game heavily inspired by GT, GT is the original and best simcade racer and it hasn't fallen off enough yet to be crowned.

DJ12

One is the innovator of the genre, the other a facsimile that just cannot find the nail to hammer it home.

GT games are the sum of its parts, which are generally all excellent, forza seem to concentrate on one thing they think makes GT a good game or something GT doesnt do well using them as usps neglecting everything else.

Forza will forever be in GTs shadow while they attempt to copy it. Admit your loses, cut your own furrow. Or just give it up as a bad job and let playground take over the franchise totally.

Drizzlehell

Banned
IMO what doesn't help is the fact that Forza games disappear from digital storefronts very quickly (likely due to expiring car licenses). Gran Turismo doesn't have that problem as far as I know, or at least Sony didn't release enough of them in the past decade to make this an issue. But last I checked you can still buy GT Sport on PS Store, and that game came out the same year as Forza Motorsport 7, which hasn't been available on Microsoft Store for a while now. I had to buy a second-hand key for it. Same with Forza Horizon 3, which I'm still pissed that I can't buy the DLC for it anymore.

AlphaMale

For me, what killed Forza was the computer AI during races. I remember fighting for top 3 and would have AI competitors repeatedly try the fucking "pit maneuvre" on me to take me out!
This would happen constantly, and make game annoying to play.
So, in short, Forza isn't as serious a racer as GT. But for casual drivers/racers, it's totally fine.

xrnzaaas

People were saying that GT is dead and miles behind Forza when Sport released. PD stuck with the game, added content, made improvements and also created a better (although still flawed in some ways) GT7. Turn 10 must now do the same - work hard on fixing and expanding the game. Besides it's in Game Pass - the players can easily come back if the game's state is improved.

SkylineRKR

GT usually had more passion going around it. GT5 aside, GT was usually a very solid product.

I can't explain but firing up a new GT game has always been a joy. Its very nostalgic too since some things in there stay similar to 1998. Forza is just another racing game, and while its absolutely not bad, I feel nothing for it when a new one comes out.

Top Bottom