• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has Gran Turismo managed to maintain it's relevance on the market while Forza Motorsport is struggling?

Chastten

Banned
I'm not sure if this still holds up but traditionally Gran Turismo did most of it's sales in Europe, no? If that's still the case, I'd think it's simply a result of Microsoft failing epicly around here.

I mean, I really don't think Americans realize how bad Microsoft is doing around here.

moCD03d.jpg
yiF8sry.jpg

This was my local toystore last thursday. Its part of the largest toystore chain in the Netherland and this is the entire gamingsection. Sure, the entire thing has downsized considerably in the last 10 years, but the right half is still fully stocked with Switch titles, cards, consoles and accesories. The left half has tons of PS4 and PS5 stuff and a bit of PSVR. Meanwhile, literally the only things they had related to Xbox were 5 games. No consoles. No controllers or anything. Just 5 games. Xbox could just exit our market and no one would even notice.

Critically, Forza has wiped the floor with GT for a couple of generations now.
81 vs 79

87 vs 85

GT Sport got a score of 75, so it was probably surpassed by the equivalent Forza title.

Now, if you're talking about the Horizon series, then yes, they usually receive scores of 90 or higher, and Sony has no equivalent.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
GT has been in the game much longer, no? The latest came out how long ago? And this post suggests the 7th ITERATION of GT has HELPED PUSH the TOTAL NUMBER of GT sold to 90 MILLION TOTAL SALES.

Critically, Forza has wiped the floor with GT for a couple of generations now. And the franchise JUST released a new game a couple of weeks ago? Perhaps you're being a bit over zealous. Its nowhere near done selling and will only get better as more content and patches release. GT7 went through growing pains as well....

Stop the cap, bro.

If you're a GT fan, thats absolutely fine. But not everyone shares the same sentiment.
Both games have 8 iterations.

One franchise (8 games) has sold 16 million copies. The other franchise (8 games) has sold 90 million copies.

So, yes, one franchise has maintained its relevance, while the other one kind of never gained it. Also, in terms of recent sales:

547ZKo8.jpg

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
81 vs 79

87 vs 85

GT Sport got a score of 75, so it was probably surpassed by the equivalent Forza title.

Now, if you're talking about the Horizon series, then yes, they usually receive scores of 90 or higher, and Sony has no equivalent.
We all know that GT7 score would be lower if Sony hadn't manipulated it by delaying the microtransactions during the review process.

Last edited:

Taycan77

Gran Turismo and PD had a difficult transition to HD and PS3. That where much of PD’s reputation for being slow came from. GT6 releasing in PS3 after PS4 launched was a necessary sacrifice as they couldn’t make it run in PS4 as cross-gen.

GTS also received lots of flak due to limited content and a change in focus. But it was necessary to rebuild the franchise from the ground up. It ended up being a well respected GT title.

GT7 is essentially an evolution of GTS with many new and much requested returning features. For those interested, it’s also rumoured there is going to be a significant update in the next month or so.

GT8 will build on these foundations as the 3D assets (cars & tracks) are all built for PS5 and beyond. PD can focus on gameplay and structural improvements. While adding better textures and RT to improve the visual presentation further.

Sales wise no data has been released for GT7. But it has been tracking above Horizon Forbidden West in many markets. That title sold 8.4m by May ‘23. So it’s fair to say GT7 should comfortably surpass 10m.

Over at Microsoft Forza Horizon has won the hearts of the Xbox community. Forza Motorsport has always straddled the line with simcade more than GT. Fans expected a hardcore sim experience with the latest iteration, but T10 have missed the boat again.

There’s no doubt Forza Motorsport has had a pretty awful launch numbers wise. As of right now it has 2,262 players on Steam. On Xbox it’s not been pulling up any trees on the most played chart. I worry it’s another MS franchise that’s past it’s best days - but unlike Halo or Gears - MS will just double down on the Horizon series. Rather than trying to rebuild Motorsport.

I’d expect it sell well under 5m copes, probably closer to 3m. The next Forza Horizon will be huge if it’s city based in a location like Japan. If it’s another bland countryside/desert area… they may receive have complaints from players.

Last edited:

acm2000

i stopped playing gran turismo at number 5, found it so sterile and the UI made me wanna throw my ps3 out the window, forza 2 was cool n all but it was 3 and 4 that cemented it for me, the racing just felt so much more fun to play.

they both have their markets, they are both very different experiences.

Not sure what you’re asking, OP. You admit Forza has never beaten GT in sales. And let’s be honest, it never will. PlayStation sells more than Xbox, and now there’s GamePass. Also GT is all PlayStation has for racing games really. Horizon exists on Xbox.

Secondly, let’s not act as if GT hasn’t been knocked down a peg or three since the days it dominated. Racing games in general have pretty much dried out. And this is like the nine hundredth post since FM launched that is shitting on FM for GaaS elements and launching “incomplete” while praising GT7, which also launched “incomplete”, and has those same GaaS elements (and goes even further with in game credit packs being sold for money). These are both iconic franchises with long histories of great games, essentially neck and neck in quality. It’s not wrong to pick one over the other, but let’s at least be consistent in the criticisms. GT is now a service game, just like FM.

Lastly, what does “limited sales and appeal” mean? You admit the game is on GamePass, we hear all the time here about how GamePass cannibalizes sales, so why would FM sales not be affected? It’s not only a racer but it’s a sim racer. And if we are talking sales and critics, GT used to sell 15,000,000 plus and used to score high 90’s in terms of MC. Now it sells maybe half that at best and has had MC scores of 84, 75, 87. So by your own definition it seems GT has done a pretty poor job maintaining its relevance 🤷‍♂️

Gambit2483

Huh? Is Forza really struggling?
It doesn't chart on either Amazon's general or Xbox based 100 best seller list. As a premiere 1st party title you'd at least expect it to chart in the Xbox top 100 best sellers...but then again it's on Gamepass, which basically kills physical sales of most games on Xbox.

Last edited:

Bond007

I love motorsport first of all- not in love with the new one.
That being said- i think they have oversaturated the Forza name between two brands on a regular basis. Horizon and Motor - perhaps it fractures the XBOX userbase that skip the iteration they don't prefer.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
My opinion about the 2 games is that Forza wants to be a Gran Turismo game, while Gran Turismo already is better in general then Forza Motorsport. I personally like the vibe around GT, it feels more professional because of the FIA backing before. Also they work a lot with all these car manufacturers on concept vehicles and they also did the UI graphics for the real Nissan GTR if i remember correctly. I also love the whole eSports around GT series with the GT world series and previously GT Acadamy.

GT is a love letter for the Car industry and motorsport, Forza is more like a wannabe imo. I'm not saying that Forza is a bad franchise, but it feels less serious.

Sitting in the driver’s seat of the GT-R is like sliding into cockpit of a MIG-35. It’s all business with the thick steering wheel and magnesium shift levers facing you, carbon-fiber ingrained tach and speedo (that goes up to 220 mph!), and several screens of telemetry graphics designed by Polyphony Digital giving you oodles of data.

16c6fe10-58bb-11ea-bae9-898d14772693

Last edited:
GT didn't fuck with the formula that made it what it is. T10 completely messed up forza, I don't have it in me to build up this one car in order to upgrade it.

demigod

I’d expect it sell well under 5m copes, probably closer to 3m. The next Forza Horizon will be huge if it’s city based in a location like Japan. If it’s another bland countryside/desert area… they may receive have complaints from players.
Goodluck breaking 1m sales let alone 3m. Half of those sales from previous Forza’s were from bundles.

demigod

Because Forza is a Game that tries to be a Simulator, Gran Turismo is a Simulator that tries to be a Game. Depending on who you are is what your going to favor.

Ex: historically Forza Pops colors, abit wider tracks than real life, Rewind mode (makes no sense for a Simulator), less detailed Car Models etc...
Blew my mind when I saw the money glitch with the rewind feature. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put a rewind feature in a SIM RACING GAME? Like if you hit the wall or go off course, you can just rewind, how stupid.

NFL fans is to MADDEN like Formula One / Grand Prix fans is to GT.

that static consumer base alone, not included casual and hardcore gamers, is what set GT apart from Forza.

Asphalt is a better comparison to Forza. It's a the sim version of Asphalt: the dude bro racer
Gran Turismo Racing GIF by Sony Pictures

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
My opinion about the 2 games is that Forza wants to be a Gran Turismo game, while Gran Turismo already is better in general then Forza Motorsport. I personally like the vibe around GT, it feels more professional because of the FIA backing before. Also they work a lot with all these car manufacturers on concept vehicles and they also did the UI graphics for the real Nissan Nismo if i remember correctly. I also love the whole eSports around GT series with the GT world series and previously GT Acadamy.

GT is a love letter for the Car industry and motorsport, Forza is more like a wannabe imo. I'm not saying that Forza is a bad franchise, but it feels less serious.
GT doesn't feel serious to me at all. Going to the Cafe, driving to music challenge and washing your car.

Boss Mog

I wonder if Turn10 could have made the game look better if they didn't have to be bogged down by the Series S.

Last edited:

demigod

NFL fans is to MADDEN like Formula One / Grand Prix fans is to GT.

that static consumer base alone, not included casual and hardcore gamers, is what set GT apart from Forza.

Asphalt is a better comparison to Forza. It's a the sim version of Asphalt: the dude bro racer
Gran Turismo Racing GIF by Sony Pictures
Not really. We are forced to play Madden since the better game NFL 2K is no more thanks to the NFL.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
I wonder if Turn10 could have made the game look better if they didn't have to be boggled down by the Series S.

That isn't a good excuse. GT7 on a base PS4 doesn't look much worse than FM2023, on far inferior hardware. Also FM looking washed out is nothing to do with it either.

Both games have 8 iterations.

One franchise (8 games) has sold 16 million copies. The other franchise (8 games) has sold 90 million copies.

So, yes, one franchise has maintained its relevance, while the other one kind of never gained it. Also, in terms of recent sales:

547ZKo8.jpg

Doing a double take here - surely that can't be right.

Chukhopops

Thus this thread is about GT and Forza. Two sims, the other one is an arcade racer. Stop trying to muddy the waters.

GT is more popular than Forza that just a simple fact no need to cry about it.
You probably didn’t pay attention to which part of the OP I quoted.

MikeM

Well, FM right now is in a dogshit state on PC. So GT is better in my situation.

GT also has way more options for people with VRR TVs which seems to be a Sony trademark of late.

Forza came out less than a week ago and it seems like it came out a year ago, no sales, not even number of players, nothing, it seems that its only job was to have more ratings than Gran Turismo 7 and how it failed in that...on to something else .

Guilty_AI

GT didn't fuck with the formula that made it what it is.
I've seen angry fans who would deeply disagree with you, especially with GT7.

On the topic, its the most relevant racing game on playstation as well as a big name. On xbox, Forza Horizon just sort of overtook Motorsport as the "main racing game" of the console. For reference, Forza Horizon 4 sold 10 million copies in less than a year.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gran Turismo and Sony understands driving, very complex vehicles, my sense with Forza is they’re going arcady.

but you also have it for free with game pass, whats the cheapest edition of GT? on top of that looking at your post i assume you paid for your cars and didnt race for em
look at the evolution of the discourse

1. Early access premium price point (incredibly positive )

2. Embargo day reviews ≈50% fewer reviews for such a big title ≈20% of those from Shill sites.
(positive quickly dropped by the big outlets IGN, PCGamer, and Game Spot)

3. the second batch of reviews mostly mixed.

3. Content creators on YT with long format reviews, critiques, and essays a little bit over a month after the honeymoon period are quite negative.

So, I agree with you. if you pay for something (especially at a premium) you will feel encouraged to defend your inversion.  and this is exactly what we have seen.

Passion.

You can feel the passion in every Gran Turismo game. Kaz is a perfectionist and it shows in GT7.

From the extremely highly detailed cars to the driving and physics and to the impressively implemented VR mode. I don't feel the same passion from Turn 10 and that might be why Forza is struggling but then again the Forza games have never done nearly as good as GT games at retail. This particular Forza feels like they've completely lost the plot though whereas previous Forza games felt good and relatively polished.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

On the topic, its the most relevant racing game on playstation as well as a big name. On xbox, Forza Horizon just sort of overtook Motorsport as the "main racing game" of the console. For reference, Forza Horizon 4 sold 10 million copies in less than a year.
Angry fans that make up a small slice of a big pie. GT continues to sell like it does because it mainly does what it does good enough.

dem

Racing games have peaked...

no one really gives a shit anymore.

It's the same basic game. Who gives a shit about a ray traced reflection or being able to see a lug nut modeled better.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Gran Turismo is a leg series. According to the last recorded data of 2022, it had hit 5.5m. Surely it's much higher than that by now. So yes, it continues to be a strong seller, even if it doesn't quite hit the highs of GT5. If it can catch GT Sport's 8 million, it's done fine.
It’s a fact that recent episodes sold less than GT5 for example, back in the PS3 days despite a much smaller install base.

My point is that sim racers are simply less relevant today, and more niche.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It’s a fact that recent episodes sold less than GT5 for example, back in the PS3 days despite a much smaller install base.

My point is that sim racers are simply less relevant today, and more niche.
That "fact" was highlighted by me in the post.

Point is it still sells in large numbers. If 8 million is "niche", then so be it.

Senua Senua

Fair enough, I'm not the biggest fan of that either. :p

Last edited:

demigod

That cannot be right, where did you get the 10m sales from?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Not sure what you’re asking, OP. You admit Forza has never beaten GT in sales. And let’s be honest, it never will. PlayStation sells more than Xbox, and now there’s GamePass. Also GT is all PlayStation has for racing games really. Horizon exists on Xbox.

Oh look some more bullshit just to include Forza Horizon while neglecting to mention there are plenty of third party racing games.

Top Bottom