• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has Gran Turismo managed to maintain it's relevance on the market while Forza Motorsport is struggling?

The only real info we have is steam player numbers, MS haven't released any PR at all which probably says everything. If it had been a big success we would have been told how many players have played, "biggest forza launch ever" etc etc.
I posted this info in another thread which puts how bad the Steam numbers are into context.

Looking at the peak player of every game published on Steam by Xbox Game Studios in the past 5 years:

Halo Infinite - 272,586 (F2P)
Halo MCC - 161,024
Forza Horizon 5 - 81,096
Age of Empire IV - 73,928
Sea of Thieves - 66,906 (Late Steam Launch)
Flight Simulator - 61,829
Forza Horizon 4 - 40,399 (Late Steam Launch)
Age of Empires II Definitive - 38,725
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 34,807
Grounded - 32,012
State of Decay 2 - 22,728
Age of Empires III Definitive - 20,146
Gears 5 - 10,196
Gears Tactics - 7,351
Psychonauts 2 - 7,262
Hi-Fi Rush - 6,132
Minecraft Legends - 5,322
Forza Motorsport - 4,703
Minecraft Dungeons - 2,939 (Late Steam Launch)
Tell Me Why - 2,784
Age of Empires Definitive Edition - 2,708 (Late Steam Launch)
Sunset Overdrive - 2,326 (Late Steam Launch)
Pentiment - 1,250
Battle Toads - 768
Killer Instinct - 701 (Late Steam Launch)
As Dusk Falls - 300

Ignoring the games that were not simultaneous releases on Steam the only games that did worse than Forza Motorsport are As Dusk Falls, Battle Toads, Pentiment and Tell Me Why.

I've got 12 hours played so far. I feel it's a decent racing game but not a $70 title, so I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I don't think there's enough there to justify the price-tag and there are bugs.
IS there any comparison to another sim style racing game? This seems like a silly list to compare a racing game to.

Senua

GT has always been huge..Forza was at it's biggest when (unsurprisingly) it was firing on all cylinders. FM 3-4 were big games and had real genuine hype around them for the simple fact T10 were doing great things then. As T10 started to mistep and lose player faith with their false promises they lost a large portion of their loyal fanbases to either GT or PC sims.

I think a lot of people moved over to Forza Horizon too, which isn't as much my thing as Motorsport games but for what they are, they are clearly better packages. You can see why they review higher, and it's not just because they are arcadey, early Forza Motorsport games reviewed into the 90s

Tomeru

Forza fans mad that GT means more than playstation.

Edit:
Also, there is actual gran turismo movie that is somewhat successful. Op is right on the money with his "feelings".

Last edited:

Unknown?

Yikes I didn’t even realize their MTX were added after launch. And there were a lot of complaints about the grind needed for credits when the game launched. Wonder what effect that had on reviews 😆
If you did research, you'd know it was a completely non issue. MTX didnt effect the in-game currency. There were complaints, but they were unfounded and even then PD made it easier.

This is the easiest GT to get a high powered car, it gives them out like candy(to its detriment).

Gambit2483

Wait when did Forza Motorsport stop being relevant?
I'm guessing people are referring to the sales data, headlines, and announcements (or in this case lack thereof) of its performance after launch.

It's almost as if the game came and went. Then again it could actually be doing extremely well on GP but we just have no idea at this point.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Gran Turismo is synonymous with Simulation and real Racing. It was released on PS1 and was the only of its kind game (I talk about simulation). It remained the same until now, simple, elegant and true to its roots.

Forza is a good game but lacks an ID. I never exactly understood what is it. An arcade game? Simulation game? Something in between? Open world? Forza always confused me as a concept.

Senua

Forza is a good game but lacks an ID. I never exactly understood what is it. An arcade game? Simulation game? Something in between? Open world? Forza always confused me as a concept.
Forza Motorsport = track based sim (yes it's a simulator just like GT is, just not as realistic as PC sims)

Forza Horizon = arcade open world

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm guessing people are referring to the sales data, headlines, and announcements (or in this case lack thereof) of its performance after launch.

It's almost as if the game came and went. Then again it could actually be doing extremely well on GP but we just have no idea at this point.
It came out 6 days ago.....it hasnt even been a week.
Its currently in the top 10 most played games on Xbox Live(whatever its called now).

What metric are we using to gauge the Forza Motorsport is not relvent anymore?

killatopak

GT seems to be well known outside of gaming. There was just literally a movie about a player who managed to make it to real competitive racing sport due to GT tourneys.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm not sure about the angle of the question.. If anything, you could even say FM has gained more relevance to GT because FM and the FH series is multiplatform now but Gran Turismo's marketshare peaked with GT5. AFAIK FM was never in the same class in marketshare back then anyway.

Anyway, console sim racers in general are not exactly in their prime anymore.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Forza Motorsport is doing really bad at retail right now . Almost like it didn't release in the last week or so it's going to be bad
According to the Microsoft documents, 75% of the consoles sales during the month of April 2022 were Series S consoles. It's estimated that 1/2 to 2/3 of all Series consoles sold are the all-digital Series S. PC is also pretty much 100% digital. You won't see a racing game with 80% of its customer base being digital top retail charts.

As for this one, it's a technical disaster on PC so no surprise there. Forza is still one of the more popular brands of racing games at the moment. It never held a candle to GT in terms of popularity but saying it's "struggling to remain relevant," is completely unfounded.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Because players watched the GT movie and started believing in the dream too.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Gambit2483

Its currently in the top 10 most played games on Xbox Live(whatever its called now).

Agreed, it's definitely too early to say anything either way. However in today's age of fast moving information people seem to expect major announcements about a games sales 3 to 4 days after launch.

Maybe that was the case for Xbox 10 years ago but Gamepass has completely changed what and how fast we will (and should) expect to see in regards to a game's performance sales wise or otherwise.

Forza games (outside of Horizon) have never been popular or strong selling in the grand scheme of things.

The series only exists because Phil Spencer is obsessed with having something to counter Sony's biggest franchises. The only reason new entries continue to be bankrolled by Xbox is for this reason.

Sales, even though we have no sales data, and it's a GamePass game anyway. But lets ignore that GT peaked in sales with GT3 or GT4 depending on what source you use.
Or maybe critics, because FM at an 85 is certainly lower than it used to score. But lets ignore that GT peaked with critics with the first three games all scoring 96, 93, and 95 respectively, none of the others have hit 90.

Flutta

Banned
The OP mentions Forza Horizon. Calm down and read, friend.

Yeah he mentioned it. But we all know that’s not the main comprison he was after. You can clearly see it in the OP and the thread title.

Comparing a SIM with and an arcade racer doesn’t make much sense, almost two completely different genres. I have a feeling you knew that already.

Unknown?

Sales, even though we have no sales data, and it's a GamePass game anyway. But lets ignore that GT peaked in sales with GT3 or GT4 depending on what source you use.
Or maybe critics, because FM at an 85 is certainly lower than it used to score. But lets ignore that GT peaked with critics with the first three games all scoring 96, 93, and 95 respectively, none of the others have hit 90.
Who gives a crap about critics? GT2 scoring lower than GT1 is a joke when GT2 was by far superior. Also Sport ended up close to the historical benchmark of 10M. It sold about what GT2 did. GT3 was peak but GT5 sold more than GT4. 11m vs 12m.

Last edited:
Yeah he mentioned it. But we all know that’s not the main comprison he was after. You can clearly see it in the OP and the thread title.

Comparing a SIM with and an arcade racer doesn’t make much sense, almost two completely different genres. I have a feeling you knew that already.

And it wasn't the main comparison in my post either, it was mentioned one time in the same manner the OP mentioned it. They're both racers, they both are Forza. Let me know where you need help connecting the dots.

Who gives a crap about critics? GT2 scoring lower than GT1 is a joke when GT2 was by far superior. Also Sport ended up close to the historical benchmark of 10M. It sold about what GT2 did. GT3 was peak but GT5 sold more than GT4. 11m vs 12m.

I don't care about any of it, I was just laying out the criteria the OP did. Sales and critic acclaim. And both franchises have fallen quite a bit in those regards.

And I agree about GT2 vs GT1. GT2 is probably the best sequel to any game I have ever played.

DragonNCM

I wanna hear your opinions.
Now, even during it's best years during Xbox 360 days Forza never actually overtook GT sales wise, peaking at estimated 5-6 million copies for Forza 3, but at least critically it was better acclaimed during that period and had a sizeable fanbase of it's own. But today it seems like GT continues to be a strong seller and manages to keep it's respectful position in the racing market, but the latest Forza already shows signs of limited appeal and sales even though it's on gamepass and includes console and PC.
Is it simply the effect of Playstation's general sales dominance, the growing popularity of Forza Horizon or the simracing space being a bit too crowded?
Hands down, GT is better driving simulator & it is first game to do that for all cars. Before GT in 1997 only real sim racing was Formula simulators.

Klosshufvud

Gran Turismo feels like a luxury product that in many ways transcends just being a game. It's a pure celebration of everything automotive that even has car nuts who aren't typically gamers creaming themselves over it. The care and dedication that goes into all facets of the game is absolutely unrivaled, and it's not just because the car detail is the best in the industry - it's everything else, like the history lessons the game gives:

The unique manufacturer partnerships in Vision GT:

The autistically detailed photo mode:

Even the menu design with the smooth jazz music creates the impression of something expensive:

Forza, and other racing games - hell, let us expand that to just other games in general - are good but come nowhere close to replicating the sophistication of GT. A release of a GT is an event like nothing else in gaming.

And that's just describing the 'feels' of the game. It is no slouch in terms of the technical details either like visuals, car and track selection, and best-in-class VR support.

Great points made! You simply can't replicate all those things that GT features without the devs having a burning passion for their craft. There is not a single fan out there that would request an encyclopedia of car history in GT. But they included it because they have this innate passion for this subject that they're somehow independent from fan feedback to propel the series forwards. And IMO that is the true mark of passionate and talented devs.

Taycan77

I don't care about any of it, I was just laying out the criteria the OP did. Sales and critic acclaim. And both franchises have fallen quite a bit in those regards.

And I agree about GT2 vs GT1. GT2 is probably the best sequel to any game I have ever played.
Seems to me Gran Turismo is back on an upwards trajectory both critically and commercially.

GTS was dinged because it was fundamentally different to traditional GT's. Although it's now widely regarded as being transformative for public racing on console. Not to mention a necessary step back in content to rebuild from the ground up. Commercially it sold some 8m copies (never confirmed officially, although there was lots of data scraped from the games servers). That was however after pretty deep price cuts shortly after launch.

GT7 launched to excellent reviews. Some 18 months on it's acknowledged to have some of the highest highs in the Gran Turismo franchise, but also some very strange design and event decisions. Nothing fundamentally wrong that couldn't be addressed with a major Spec II update. Commercially it's been consistently in the PSN top 20 sellers since launch. As mentioned earlier, it seems to have sold better than Horizon Forbidden West (we don't know about bundles) which passed 8.4m in May '23. So it seems GT7 will be the first GT to pass 10m units since GT5.

Hopefully the rumours are true and PD have been working on a nice update. The playerbase certainly deserves it after some lean months.

GT7

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Great points made! You simply can't replicate all those things that GT features without the devs having a burning passion for their craft. There is not a single fan out there that would request an encyclopedia of car history in GT. But they included it because they have this innate passion for this subject that they're somehow independent from fan feedback to propel the series forwards. And IMO that is the true mark of passionate and talented devs.

Their passion for cars is undoubted but it's a shame they forgot to include a single player career mode. They included something the fans didn't ask for, but didn't include the thing they did ask for.

(I bought it a year ago and still haven't got through much of the menu books, and I am not happy I can't race on some of the new tracks as I haven't 'unlocked' them yet 🤦)

Last edited:

MacReady13

I've put about 10 hours into the series x version of FM and only bug I've encountered so far is after I upgrade my car it won't save and so I need to reset the game. Only happened 3 times to me. Other than that, game plays absolutely fine and looks fucking incredible. I don't read too much into what others have said, but what am I missing about this new FM that so many seem to hate on it for? It controls very well. Looks the part. Is pretty damn addictive. What am I NOT seeing?!?

//DEVIL//

Forza exist in the market because of GT.
GT is a better game in terms of physics and car details over even the newest FM which is supposed to be a next gen only.

I do not hate FM. and as a PC as main while PS5 is secondary, I would have loved it if FM is a better game so I can spend my racing time with it. but, I end up playing GT because its actually way better game.

oh and that RPG elements in FM.. yeah that can fuck off.

Newest Forza Motrosport has been in development forever and still came out undercooked. All this GaaS implementation will be the death of mainstream sim racers.

Last edited:

X-Wing

GT is respected among professional racers. It's even the official simulator used in the Olympic Esports Series.
Forza is a more casual kind of racing game.

Crayon

GT went from a curiosity to a legit establishment in the space of a year. It came out of nowhere and was like nothing else. Forza came later and was the best of the copy attempts by far. But everything in that vain is forever going to be seen as a sort of child of GT.

GT was the right game at the right time and became a cultural touchstone. If you took a poll of name recognition of sim raceing series, the name GT is going to be more recognizable than all other combined and by a vast margin.

Top Bottom