• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Microsoft design the Xbox Series X the way it did?

OOgzwRa.jpg

As amazingly balsy as the Game Awards reveal was, the Xbox Series X has a rather anti-climactic look that doesn't inspire creativity as it does power.

This made me think: Will Microsoft prioritize sheer power over creativity, whether it's in the design, specs, OS, accessories of the Xbox Series X?

Its interesting to see the parallels between this situation and Silicon Valley's situation back in Season 3/4 when Richard and Action Jack Barker were competing against each other in terms of their products.

In this case, Richard (Pied Piper) represents Sony PlayStation while Action Jack Barker (Hooli) represents Microsoft Xbox.

Action Jack Barker didn't care about the creative aspects of his product; he just wanted sheer power and no-frills design philosophies embedded into his product.

Hence, the "Box" is oddly similar to the way the "Xbox Series X" is designed: A no-frills, generic-looking BOX that does its job very well.

My worries is that Xbox may adopt this approach to all other facets of the Xbox Series X from its design all the way to its exclusives.

I feel that Microsoft isn't giving their Xbox team enough credit to do something creative and bold enough to centre itself as a legitimate counterpart to Sony's PlayStation.

GAF, what do you think? Did Microsoft do the right decision of taking this no-frills approach towards its console brand?

Gaf: Lockhart will look def and sleeker. Will that be considered no frills too?
We shall see if my hunch is correct or not.

Worst case scenario is they do. However, it would be rather interesting to see if they gain back marketshare with this new approach to sheer power.

Looking forward to the battle between these two titans!

Codes 208

Pretty sure the short of it is they chose functionality over design. Not that it’s bad, i definitely understand the complaints of it being too big but i kinda like the sleek tower look. It sure looks better than the dvr design of the OG xbox one anyhow.

Last edited:

intbal

I typed out a few answers, but I didn't like any of them.
So I'll just throw in a guess about some things.
Anaconda: $700
Lockhart: $350 (released later)
Xbox One X: $300 (while supplies last)
Xbox One S: Discontinued
Still with the zero exclusives.

DrAspirino

Banned
It makes sense when you put it that way.

However, I'd argue that creative design is still something that's pursued in Silicon Valley, especially with the phone/tablet industry.
True, but think again about the design. On phones/tablets, the SoC do not overheat even remotely as much as an x86 APU does and if we talk about x86 design leaders (cof cof...Apple), they sacrifice performance in order to keep aesthetics and acoustics a priority.

On the x86 world, it's either performance and reliability or aesthetics and acoustics.

its not that bulku, its 1 controller wide and 3 controllers tall more or less, and you can put it horizontally
It's definitely eye-catching to say the least because of how it imposes itself as a console.

I've never seen a console that looked like the Xbox Series X before, but I still felt like there was room for creativity in its design.

Lets see if Sony does something creative with it's new console!

quest

Not Banned from OT
It still looks 'bulky' to me, personally. It's missing that X-Factor to it, ironically.
If it's silent as the one x that is the x-factor to most of us. This device is most likely going to be 300-350 watts. It needs space to breathe and to vent that much heat silently. After the one x I trust MS engineers this was the best way to cool this console a big ass low rpm fan.

Derktron

Banned
If it's silent as the one x that is the x-factor to most of us. This device is most likely going to be 300-350 watts. It needs space to breathe and to vent that much heat silently. After the one x I trust MS engineers this was the best way to cool this console a big ass low rpm fan.
Say it louder for the people in the back.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
OOgzwRa.jpg

As amazingly balsy as the Game Awards reveal was, the Xbox Series X has a rather anti-climactic look that doesn't inspire creativity as it does power.

This made me think: Will Microsoft prioritize sheer power over creativity, whether it's in the design, specs, OS, accessories of the Xbox Series X?

Its interesting to see the parallels between this situation and Silicon Valley's situation back in Season 3/4 when Richard and Action Jack Barker were competing against each other in terms of their products.

In this case, Richard (Pied Piper) represents Sony PlayStation while Action Jack Barker (Hooli) represents Microsoft Xbox.

Action Jack Barker didn't care about the creative aspects of his product; he just wanted sheer power and no-frills design philosophies embedded into his product.

Hence, the "Box" is oddly similar to the way the "Xbox Series X" is designed: A no-frills, generic-looking BOX that does its job very well.

My worries is that Xbox may adopt this approach to all other facets of the Xbox Series X from its design all the way to its exclusives.

I feel that Microsoft isn't giving their Xbox team enough credit to do something creative and bold enough to centre itself as a legitimate counterpart to Sony's PlayStation.

GAF, what do you think? Did Microsoft do the right decision of taking this no-frills approach towards its console brand?
Pretty sure Phil said something like it was built with functionality in mind. They wanted a good thermal solution, and for it to be big enough to handle AMD's tech, which typically run's pretty hot compared to Nvidia or Intel. To compare it to the Exclusives, you have to remember, Microsoft isn't sticking their noses in the creative works of the studio's it's purchased. That has been repeated over and over. I also believe that in future iterations about the console, style will be more of a priority.

They designed it so that it has a good cooling. But I think it's a lazy design. You can still have good cooling if you design it the old fashioned way. Why they didn't opt out for this, beats me.

Well they may sell xbox PCs... kind of like alienware. But I hope xbox doesnt disappear
There is no money in it. Without the walled garden, there would not be paid multiplayer and MS would not sell it at cost. MS needed to stop people running software that didn't pay MS 30% of sales, which means no Steam or Origin or Gog, etc.
MS does not own the pc platform. It wish it does.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Although I don’t like the design but it’s obvious that it’s made for better cooling. Surprisingly it doesn’t look as big as in the pictures. Also as Phil said “Powerful and quiet” so I’m sure they know what they’re doing with their next console and not just some rubbish design

960x0.jpg

longdi

Banned
Im not an engineer. But my guess this design can house a regular 180-200mm fan at the bottom to exhaust air from the same size vents on top

The conventional consoles/laptop designs, have smaller silts as vents and the fan blades are thinner.

Im not sure how this mini tower design should house the heatsink. Since with silted fan, it sits on top directly of the heatsink.

Will we have overhanging heatsink on the XOX? How much more effective will such tower design really have?

Top Bottom