• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Microsoft design the Xbox Series X the way it did?

H4ze

I like the look of the SX, but something deep in me wanted to see some futuristic console shit, maybe that's why I always like the design of the OG Xbox, it felt special to me.

Bankai

Answer to your question: to maximize airflow.

Next to the big fan on top, there's probably a big fan underneath the Series X as well: push-pull (with big, slow-turning fans) is the best way to cool thoese teraflops down with low noise.

skneogaf

Most people didn't like the original xbox one design due to its size but I loved how silent it is in comparison to the xbox one x. So if this design makes it less noisy than the ps5 which will likely be a more traditional design then I will buy the xbox series ☓ 1st.

Mista

Banned
Okay, good for you.

I'm not wrong and you saying that your x is silent means that you're not wrong but we're actually saying different things.
No we aren’t saying different things. We’re talking about two consoles that are dead silent and you’re saying the other isn’t as silent as the first. Which is incorrect mate

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The design for this actually has potential as it is similar to what Corsair did with their i160 series.
-CS-9020003-NA-Gallery-corsair-one-i160-1.png

This PC has the highest of the high specs, too. So it's not like they put low cost parts to keep it cool. It has a 9900K and 2080Ti.
JayzTwoCents spoke very highly of it. I actually LOVE the design and give MS kudos for doing something different.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I like it, but I am laying it down so it doesnt matter to me what it looks like. How often are you people staring at the console design?

Bryank75

Banned
I think it's obvious that the elevated design is to put the concave ashtray top within close reach of the user after they enjoy the SEX...

It's the only way the name makes sense.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
We all still having this cry about how the plastic box that sits under your TV you never look at... looks like?

This isn't your wife, this is a console. Come on people, this is getting a bit sad. I'm sure Sony will release some beef burger based design and everybody will cream themselves at the Cerni god. And it will sound like a jet engine or be ugly a sin as usual, but nobody will care because Sony>MS. Until then, lets all uncross our legs and release our bollocks, kthx.

cireza

Mandatory design to deliver 12 TF and a quality console. The Xbox that will compete with PS5 will have a standard form factor.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
We all still having this cry about how the plastic box that sits under your TV you never look at... looks like?

This isn't your wife, this is a console. Come on people, this is getting a bit sad. I'm sure Sony will release some beef burger based design and everybody will cream themselves at the Cerni god. And it will sound like a jet engine or be ugly a sin as usual, but nobody will care because Sony>MS. Until then, lets all uncross our legs and release our bollocks, kthx.

Bold of you to assume I have a wife...

AND

That I wouldn't marry a console...

LordOfChaos

The why seems obvious to me - it's all uninterrupted space "above" the disk drive (I would assume the PSU is also beside the ODD, if it's internal this time) to maximize cooling performance. Fan exhausts out directly above presumably sizable heatsinks.

Be curious to see the first teardowns to see how much they capitalized on that uninterrupted space for cooling.

ruvikx

Banned

Indeed. It's a pretty obvious "we need a big box to cool this stuff & oh well, we're called Xbox anyway" situation. It's like a pc tower with components inside which need really good airflow. I took the console's design as a positive sign they've made it very powerful.

I know for a fact I won't be sitting there watching the box (instead of playing the games...) & thinking "hmm, I wish this thing looked more traditional last gen console with lower specs". Maybe some people love flattish rectangular plastic boxes so much they're not happy with the Series X (who knows, people can have strange fetishes), but as for me, I'm totally ambivalent with regards to the design & I just want a powerful, functional well crafted piece of hardware which isn't too noisy & doesn't break.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A rectangle box which resembles a black tissue box is nothing special.

But at least it can be placed horizontally. Not all media stand shelves can fit it vertically. In my media stand only one the centre section shelves can have it vertically, so it would be beside my equally tall modem/router. But then I'd have to place my super wide home theatre unit to the shelf at the bottom and then place the equally wide sound bar somewhere else, or top on the home theatre unit.

But since it can be horizontal, I can have it in any of my 6 media shelves. I'll just put it in the same section as my current console, and either sell or give away my X.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Im not an engineer. But my guess this design can house a regular 180-200mm fan at the bottom to exhaust air from the same size vents on top

The conventional consoles/laptop designs, have smaller silts as vents and the fan blades are thinner.

Im not sure how this mini tower design should house the heatsink. Since with silted fan, it sits on top directly of the heatsink.

Will we have overhanging heatsink on the XOX? How much more effective will such tower design really have?
In tower form the APU will probably be sat vertical against the side of the case (like pc mobo) with heatsink(s) taking up the rest of the space with a fan pushing air up out through the top.

Gargus

Banned
Honestly I dont care what a system looks like. Only time I look at a console is to put a disc in, push a button on it, or hook it up. All I care about is will it have enough games I want to play to make it worth buying one. And xbox does not, so I couldnt care less about how it looks cause I have no interest in buying one.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I think it’s quite obvious the aim is to create a box that cools well so they can squeeze as much as possible from the metal they have, end of story.
Exactly. Higher specs means more power which in turn means more power draw with means more heat. The fan at the top of it(I assume that's a fan) is huge for a console so that gives us a peak at the performance of it.

Aion002

I think the general idea is to show that is strong as a pc... Or something...

Honestly I think it's dumb... Pc gamers will think: "why would I want another pc... Weaker"... While casuals will go: "eh? this is not a video game console".

Also... Maybe... MS simply didn't care and said: "whatever works...We gotta sell services".

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Design?
I'm fine with the lo-fi, industrial design.

Size?
It had to be this size to fit in all those t-flops
Though I suppose they could made it about 25% smaller.

:messenger_fire::messenger_winking_tongue::messenger_blowing_kiss::messenger_fire:

Top Bottom