• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whoever says 343i isn't talented aren't really looking at the entire picture...

Ceadeus

Gold Member
They are really good and continuing bungie's work was never a easy task. Some Halo fans are unforgiving , it would have been any other developer working on Halo, they still would have cry a little. You know, the Will Ferrell type of crying.

Quezacolt

Im looking at the whole picture and it's an ugly one.

They are now releasing decent ports on pc after messing so much on console? wow, im impressed, they are doing the bare minimum that should be expected.

So we're supposed to say they are a great studio because the only good thing they did so far is port games from a much better studio, ok then, and we are also supposed to forget how they havent done anything with the franchise that has made the fans happy? Besides the MCC ofc.

This is sound like you asking people to forget EA's years of incompetence and pure greed just because they released Jedi Fallen order without any microtransactions.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I've noticed this comment in too many Halo threads. You set the thread up for failure with this comment because it set the tone of responses. Too many people will just copy your opinion using their own words because noone likes to think for themselves. I see the behavior on here and sites like Facebook constantly.

You guys should be glad I am not on the Xbox team, I would shill this site non stop lol the hatred for anything Xbox is ridiculous these days.
I think people have their own opinions and dont need the first post to make up their minds 🙃

iorek21

Right, a studio that receives shitstorms at every single release is actually talented and people who criticizes it are not looking at the bigger picture...

Seriously, talent is what Naughty Dog did with TLOU2 or Moon did with Ori; not this generic crap that 343 releases every now and then

Kamina

Golden Boy
18d

killatopak

I think the writing was on the wall when we saw how many high level exec in the studio left.

I wouldn’t say untalented but definitely unfocused. Feels very Anthem like.

Starfield

btw what do you think about the idea of 343i making a new IP after or next to pushing out new content for Halo Infinite?

Flintty

I don’t think they’re as bad as people like to make out in a technical level - I liked Halo 4 and 5 gameplay wise. Where they have failed miserably for me is story telling. I don’t like the direction they took it - I couldn’t get sucked in like I did the previous games, and the by-product of that was a shit new enemy to fight. I know there’s an expectation to improve with fresh ideas, but the Prometheans were terrible baddies. They took the good gameplay loop and made it a chore.

Drewpee

Banned
I think people have their own opinions and dont need the first post to make up their minds 🙃

If you think I'm wrong just pay attention and you will find it. You sill see someone post a thought and that will be followed up by 5-10 parrot's who share the exact same thought, just worded slightly different.

This is an issue on social media in general, not just Neogaf.

Last edited:

killatopak

They have made nothing but sub par Halo games, why would anyone expect them to be able to make a new successful IP?
There’s always a chance that FPS isn’t their best genre.

I mean look at Days Gone, Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima. Studios where their previous IPs isn’t as big as the new ip on a new genre they made.

I think it’s always fair to give a studio a chance especially if it’s a tentpole studio like 343. it’s how we got The Last of Us.

The easiest job in the world is to be a critic. I highly doubt anyone here can create anything better but it is super easy to make fun of someone else's work. If you can make something better send in a in an application. Hopefully 343i creates a fun game to play and get credit for what works well.

Vawn

Banned
If you think I'm wrong just pay attention and you will find it. You sill see someone post a thought and that will be followed up by 5-10 parrot's who share the exact same thought, just worded slightly different.

Or maybe all those parrots watched the same gameplay and came to the same conclusion.

Why was it at a sorry state? The only problem it had was the audio issues in the campaign of Halo Reach. Everything else ran smooth and fine.

I'm not talking about the initial release of MCC in 2014. I am talking about the PC version.
So I should have faith in a company releasing a polished console experience because... they had a smooth release of a port of their game that had a catastrophic console launch 5 years ago? That logic doesnt track, my friend.

Starfield

So I should have faith in a company releasing a polished console experience because... they had a smooth release of a port of their game that had a catastrophic console launch 5 years ago? That logic doesnt track, my friend.
It doesn't. Yes...however it isn't all smoke and fire like some make it out to be. There is hope.jpeg

VAVA Mk2

Yes the demo of Halo Infinite looked rough, I won't deny that...however to say that 343i are "untalented hacks" is a very poor thing to say.
For the ones who have been paying close attention to the development of the Halo Master Chief Collection for PC (and console) its just amazing what they have done since the launch of Halo Reach on PC.

They are constantly bringing out GREAT upgrades to imo the best value package that you can get on Steam currently. They are just doing so much stuff for this game, its amazing. They're not just adding the old content, they are deliberatily bringing a NEW experience to the way these old games were played.

From never seen FOV sliders in a Halo game to higher refresh rates right up to whole new content updates (Halo Reach: massive amounts of new forge objects and vehicles to use, Halo CE: multiplayer weapon and vehicle skins along with more armour customizations, Halo 3: new forge objects, a new skull to use in the campaign where you have a jet pack, the ability to disable certain sounds in campaign to...for example play the story without music ---> yes, thats horrible but it shines a new light on certain ingame cutscenes, its really weird).

...and there's more!

In the next update, the one where ODST is coming out they also going to bring ODST's exclusive weapons, like the pistol or the silenced SMG to Halo 3: MP!
oW1Fz56.jpg

along with a new season to unlock Skins for Halo 3 weapons (you can turn them off in settings if you don't like them btw).

It's not just that. They are also trying to fix old bugs that Bungie left behind, like the poor hit registration of Halo 3.

I know this doesn't really have much to do with Halo Infinite but if they are giving the same respect and determination towards Infinite like they are doing for MCC then I have no doubt that this is gonna be an amazing Halo experience for the years to come!

What do you think?
Adding existing assets from Halo 3 ODST into Halo 3 (same engine) shouldn't be that difficult, correct?

Starfield

Adding existing assets from Halo 3 ODST into Halo 3 (same engine) shouldn't be that difficult, correct?
Probably yes, however it gives a 13year old game some fresh coat of paint and that is definitely a good thing without destroying its Legacy. It wasn't needed but it's nice to have. Just like if they ask you to put cacao powder on your cappuccino in the coffee stores, you don't need it but it's a nice gesture.

VAVA Mk2

Probably yes, however it gives a 13year old game some fresh coat of paint and that is definitely a good thing without destroying its Legacy. It wasn't needed but it's nice to have. Just like if they ask you to put cacao powder on your cappuccino in the coffee stores, you don't need it but it's a nice gesture.
Yeah definitely like throwing in extra marshmallows at a Starbucks or McDonald's on a hot cocoa, but doesn't necessarily mean the McDonald's or Starbucks go up a few steps compared to maybe a high end local coffee shop.

btw what do you think about the idea of 343i making a new IP after or next to pushing out new content for Halo Infinite?

I'm very open minded to this. I honestly think they have a better opportunity doing this instead of vomiting generic Halo titles. A lot of studios switch up genres and in some cases it's a better outcome. My only request is they change the name of the studio if Halo is no longer a focus. They have no legacy to keep that name. Also I would force them to produce something on a low budget even if it resulted in a smaller game. Teach em how to plan accordingly since they miraculously blew 500 mil on a generic 4k 360 fps with worse texture pop in than a Bethesda RPG on the same hardware.

Realistically I'm sure they would just fuck this up too though. Until 343 can fix it's structure as a studio I don't see much quality from them.

Idk if you can say you looking at the full picture when all you talk about is a port of a collection of games. Looking at the full picture would include Halo 4, 5, and MCC on release. People have given them A LOT of chances.

Starfield

Idk if you can say you looking at the full picture when all you talk about is a port of a collection of games. Looking at the full picture would include Halo 4, 5, and MCC on release. People have given them A LOT of chances.
On a technical point or even gameplay wise those games weren't shit. It just wasn't halo.

reptilex

Banned
Yes the demo of Halo Infinite looked rough, I won't deny that...however to say that 343i are "untalented hacks" is a very poor thing to say.
For the ones who have been paying close attention to the development of the Halo Master Chief Collection for PC (and console) its just amazing what they have done since the launch of Halo Reach on PC.

They are constantly bringing out GREAT upgrades to imo the best value package that you can get on Steam currently. They are just doing so much stuff for this game, its amazing. They're not just adding the old content, they are deliberatily bringing a NEW experience to the way these old games were played.

From never seen FOV sliders in a Halo game to higher refresh rates right up to whole new content updates (Halo Reach: massive amounts of new forge objects and vehicles to use, Halo CE: multiplayer weapon and vehicle skins along with more armour customizations, Halo 3: new forge objects, a new skull to use in the campaign where you have a jet pack, the ability to disable certain sounds in campaign to...for example play the story without music ---> yes, thats horrible but it shines a new light on certain ingame cutscenes, its really weird).

...and there's more!

In the next update, the one where ODST is coming out they also going to bring ODST's exclusive weapons, like the pistol or the silenced SMG to Halo 3: MP!
oW1Fz56.jpg

along with a new season to unlock Skins for Halo 3 weapons (you can turn them off in settings if you don't like them btw).

It's not just that. They are also trying to fix old bugs that Bungie left behind, like the poor hit registration of Halo 3.

I know this doesn't really have much to do with Halo Infinite but if they are giving the same respect and determination towards Infinite like they are doing for MCC then I have no doubt that this is gonna be an amazing Halo experience for the years to come!

What do you think?

I've been a playstation/nintendo/pc guy my whole life, the Xbox X made me for the first-time consider getting an Xbox...then I saw Halo Infinite which killed any envies I had.

On a technical point or even gameplay wise those games weren't shit. It just wasn't halo.
343 has NEVER made a halo game with good gameplay.

Halo 5 has the second worst legendary gameplay in the series next to Halo 2. Halo 4 has the most dumbed down AI I've ever seen in the series along with the most linear levels and horribly designed enemies, but I was willing to cut them some slack because it was their first game only 2 years after the studio was made. That's why you look at the full picture, its not like everyone hated them from the start, a lot of people looked past the shortcomings of Halo 4, but they continued to fuck up over and over.

the_master

I don’t think they’re as bad as people like to make out in a technical level - I liked Halo 4 and 5 gameplay wise. Where they have failed miserably for me is story telling. I don’t like the direction they took it - I couldn’t get sucked in like I did the previous games, and the by-product of that was a shit new enemy to fight. I know there’s an expectation to improve with fresh ideas, but the Prometheans were terrible baddies. They took the good gameplay loop and made it a chore.
That means that the gameplay was bad. Fighting enemies is fun or a chore depending on the gameplay, not the story.
The prometheans where a big mistake in how they where implemented. They made them a bit better in halo 5 but still worse than the civenant in halo 1, 2 and 3. Also, the covenant in halo 4 and 5 is also worse than the previous ones.
Even reach is worse than 3

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Here is what 343 Industries as done:

2011, they collaborated with Saber Interactive to release Halo CE Anniversary edition, a decent enough update of a classic.
2012, they released Halo 4 which had some fantastic and beautiful art direction, but overly linear levels and a reliance on outside sources to get the full story of the title. Its story was good at points, but hindered massively due to the reasons stated before.
2013, Halo: Spartan Assault - a collab with Vanguard Games and was a low quality, low effortmobile-focused cash grab.
2014, Halo: The Master Chief Collection - what should have been an easy win was plagued with bugs, glitches, and crashes for well over a fucking YEAR after its launch. There are still tons of bugs and glitches that haven't been ironed out.
2015, Halo: Spartan Strike - a collab with Vanguard Games that was just as much of a low quality, low effort mobile-focused cash grab as its predecessor. Halo 5: Guardians - a piss poor, god awful game with tons of development issues, 10x more reliance on outside sources to understand the story, and a poorly paced, poorly told story that actively halts and ruins what little momentum Halo 4 set up.

2016-2018 were just collabs with other developers who did most of the work.

Really, the only "good" they did was Halo Anniversary. Halo 4 is a guilty pleasure in terms of story, but it is still a weak and poorly done first effort as a proper sequel. MCC was a broken trash fire, Halo 5 is a literal trash game, and the few decent titles since Bungie's departure has been through collaborations with better developers, like Creative Assembly's work on Halo Wars 2.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I thought the rumor was that this halo was going to last for like 10 years with updates similar to I guess destiny. The multiplayer is free to play so I can see them working on that for a good long while.

anothertech

You want to shed light on the great work of 343i and you use...MCC.

Smdh

That game is has been a clusterfuck for 6 years and you use it as an example. I don't give a shit how the PC version runs, if you're looking at 'The Big Picture' MCC is the worst failure in Halos history.

Those wounds are far too fresh to rip open gees .

Kamina

Golden Boy

But is it really because they saw the opinion of someone else first, or is it that maybe they all just disagree with OP?
We’ll never know

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I played MCC the other day

The frame rate for Zanizibar remake on Reach was abysmal. It was the first time I ever discovered or detected poor frame rate in a modern game because I know nothing about the technical aspects of video games

343i is pretty horrid when it comes to “taking the torch”

The more or less tried to grab it and it instantly fell in a puddle and the fire was doused out, and then everybody stares blankly in disbelief at them, laughing and pointing fingers and laughing at them. 343i in a nutshell. I win’t let up, they deserve this criticism for ruining the Halo experience, barely keeping it alive....

It was team snipers btw, the frame rate just totally interfered. That never even happened in Halo 2 ffs, why is it happening in Halo: Reach under their servers?

Last edited:
Yeah, 343i's track record ranges from "decent but nothing special" to "unplayable broken mess".

The total picture ain't that good for them. Again, not the Halo Franchise... just 343i, and more so their leadership, specifically.

They need new management at the top. Halo as a franchise has historic pedigree and could be re-envisioned in awesome ways. I have no doubt there are talented developers in the rank and file of 343i but if leadership is cool with releasing questionable things and can't manage the development time, nothing going to change.

But this is also my issue with the Xbox Division at large. Amazing library of IPs, talented rank and file, but top brass is shit willing to greenlight and release shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom