• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Games will be made by outside contractors moving foward says leaker

Klayzer

Honestly, even Microsoft is not that stupid to fuck up COD. It literally prints money. All they have to do is pay the two alternating devs, and cash checks. If Phil, Sara, or Matt misshandles COD, a congressional inquiry should be appointed.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Honestly, even Microsoft is not that stupid to fuck up COD. It literally prints money. All they have to do is pay the two alternating devs, and cash checks. If Phil, Sara, or Matt misshandles COD, a congressional inquiry should be appointed.
It is not about being stupid. But two problems in my mind may explain the problem and why they indeed can fuck up COD.
The first one is easy:

Microsoft is a machine, and is probably bigger than some countries gouvernment. Nadella, Microsoft CEO probably simply don't have the mindset to think about it like we do. Regardless of what the base will say, by the time whatever action got to him, it will pass from so many layers, so many departments, so many people that he will just do what he always do, what microsoft always do. In this case that could be to try to maintain what they have, just trying to do it for cheaper. I don't know. I don't think that they can too. But it is possible, just very improbable.
The second one is weirder. Maybe Microsoft executives are just old people that can't get gaming? It happens sometimes that the CEO don't know a thing about the activity of his company and it can lead to fuck ups.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I see alot of people commenting on the status of Halo without even have played it in it's current state. I would say it is the best multiplayer shooter on consoles by far right now.
Too bad nobody cares. Maybe it's good, but not good enough for any sign of a resurgence.

rOvkiPn.jpg

You see, for an online game it's easy to lost relevance and very hard to crawl back. Especially considering that Infinite was not a first, but third blunder in the series.

We'll see how much it it will take to tank CoD, but all recent things considered, I'd temper my optimism.

Papa_Wisdom

I miss the days of booting up the og Xbox and seeing the Microsoft games studios logo.

nZrYZBs.png

And more often than not it was going to be something good

Rally sport challenge
Crimson skies
Quantum redshift
Mech Assault
Amped
PGR
Topspin

I’m aware that some of these were not internally developed but still at the time it was a good sign that it was going to be a quality game.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is absolutely not true in the slightest. Ghosts, Infinite Warfare, and Vanguard were all disliked upon release and they had notably lower sales (except maybe Ghosts) and sustained player counts than other games in the series.
If this rumor is true, then Microsoft will effectively kill cod within a few years. As someone who buys cod on a yearly basis seeing so many veterans getting laid off or leaving is already making me extremely skeptical that I'll be playing newer cods in the future.

CoD continues to sell millions, no matter how shit it gets. Including all the titles you mentioned. Not my issue if you keep buying crap.

Last edited:

Nvzman

CoD continues to sell millions, no matter how shit it gets. Including all the titles you mentioned. Not my issue if you keep buying crap.
The sales will taper off over time, if Marvel movies can become oversaturated dogshit that's flopping after 15+ years you can pretty much apply the same thing to $70 videogames.
Your completely dismissive and condescending attitude about it just makes you sound like a ignorant prick, not actually informed or correct.

Reactions: Dis

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The sales will taper off over time, if Marvel movies can become oversaturated dogshit that's flopping after 15+ years you can pretty much apply the same thing to $70 videogames.
Your completely dismissive and condescending attitude about it just makes you sound like a ignorant prick, not actually informed or correct.

I‘m informed enough to look back on CoD sales figures for many years and come to the accurate conclusion that CoD fans will buy whatever shit is shovelled to them in enough quantities for the developer to keep shovelling shit out for years to come. MW3 is an utter piece of shit that should have been DLC, put out at full price, and look how that got hoovered up by the mindless masses.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

They're $1billion at least every year just in terms of sales + they're already monestised to hell like any other GaaS and you have Warzone on top of that.

Just doesn't make sense. Only way this happens is if Microsoft royally fucks it up
And that’s totally not their MO over the last 15 years managing Xbox. All the sharpest pencils and so on…. 😉

In all seriousness I can see it with their accounting / CFO pushing. MS uses a ton of contractors on their regular products and they rotate them/fire them all the time.

So I can see them thinking “well if it works for Office…” and fucking up with Xbox even more.

Nvzman

I‘m informed enough to look back on CoD sales figures for many years and come to the accurate conclusion that CoD fans will buy whatever shit is shovelled to them in enough quantities for the developer to keep shovelling shit out for years to come. MW3 is an utter piece of shit that should have been DLC, put out at full price, and look how that got hoovered up by the mindless masses.
MWIII is infinitely better than shitty ass MWII, again you don't know shit about what you are saying.

Gamerguy84

Oh God it's ruined lol. They don't care their goal was to take sonys top earner away from them.

IDC really I don't remember what I've played last between COD and madden. It's been so many years.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
MWIII is infinitely better than shitty ass MWII, again you don't know shit about what you are saying.

Ah yes, the hastily thrown together single player campaign that barely qualifies as such, in a game roundly and universally panned by anybody with a brain, that reviewed absolutely terribly across the board, and yet still sold like gangbusters because hardcore CoD fans have zero taste or self control.

twilo99

Ah yes, the hastily thrown together single player campaign that barely qualifies as such, in a game roundly and universally panned by anybody with a brain, that reviewed absolutely terribly across the board, and yet still sold like gangbusters because hardcore CoD fans have zero taste or self control.

The core player base cares about the multiplayer aspect, which is very good.. the campaign has very little to do with how successful CoD is

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The core player base cares about the multiplayer aspect, which is very good.. the campaign has very little to do with how successful CoD is

Well, quite possibly. The point being, they can continue to produce trash using contractors because millions of copies will still be sold. This is a problem created by the player base, not the corporation in this instance.

twilo99

They should’ve made this

Well, quite possibly. The point being, they can continue to produce trash using contractors because millions of copies will still be sold. This is a problem created by the player base, not the corporation in this instance.

The point is that CoD has never been “trash” so there is chance that it might become trash now, but thus far most of the games have been indeed very good, which is why it has such a following and it sells well. You can’t force people to buy a “trash” game…

Last edited:
Microsoft has been way more consumer friendly than Sony and Nintendo and people still find a way to shit on them.

You know what's the best form of being consumer friendly? Creating high quality games for me to play on a system I paid £450 for. Honestly the worst purchase I have ever made when it comes to gaming. Sony and Nintendo are consumer friendly because they put effort into high quality content that people want. If Microsoft are so consumer friendly, how come nobody gives a shit about their console?

FlyyGOD

You know what's the best form of being consumer friendly? Creating high quality games for me to play on a system I paid £450 for. Honestly the worst purchase I have ever made when it comes to gaming. Sony and Nintendo are consumer friendly because they put effort into high quality content that people want. If Microsoft are so consumer friendly, how come nobody gives a shit about their console?
Has Sony or Nintendo been more consumer friendly? If so how?

Roni

Gold Member
That much money spent on IP, just to wither it away with this idiotic IT industry practice? Sheesh... This is the sort of news that makes me think Xbox as a division might be on the way out. Once they get Game Pass to where they want it, all of these studios are getting axed or sold.

Nvzman

You just keep making yourself look foolish.
Yes the single player was mediocre at best, but the staying power of cod is the multiplayer, and nearly everyone who actually PLAYED the game universally agrees the multiplayer is some of the best the series has seen in a long time, and that is where the majority of the content in MWIII lies. There's a lot of good news modes like War, 20 maps in the game at this point (not counting the MWII maps ported over) with a pretty large selection of weapons.
MWII's multiplayer was total garbage by comparison and I felt like I wasted $70 with that game and I'll probably never buy another IW-developed title again if they continue with their absolutely stupid design decisions. Sledgehammer did a much better job actually listening to community feedback and tweaking the gameplay to be more balanced with aggressive and passive play.
Again, you don't know shit, you watched 5 minutes of gameplay and read some reactions/headlines and said "HAHA COD PLAYERS ARE SO STUPID WHO WOULD PAY $70 FOR DLC", meanwhile most of the people actually playing the game are very much enjoying it and agreeing it's a great multiplayer cod for once. Anyone judging cod solely for single player at this point is just being ridiculous, they've never been longer than 6-7 hours and at least this actually had a campaign, unlike black ops 4 lol

Reactions: Dis

twilo99

But they seem to do it a lot anyway. Hence why MS can do what they like from now on and get away with it.

Nah, if you actually like multiplayer games which involve shooting guns against other people, the Call of Duty franchise does that extremely well...

Top Bottom