• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ohh to any gaffers reaching 30 or more I say this:
enjoy it :D, it aint no thing...only a number I plan on being an imature game loving fool well into my late years :D

also 33 and still got my hair so that's cool ... need to lose weight though.. having a desk job and weird hours plus I eat too much doesn't help... avid water drinker here though..2 Litres or more a day... need to take up an exercise will give swimming a go, want to be able to keep up with my little 'un.

serious/inspirational mode off...

NER NER NER NER NER NER BATMAN!!!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
xbhaskarx said:
This thread is in danger of getting too positive / inspirational again...

I'm down to 6'3" 195lbs myself, after bloating up to a high of 300lbs two years ago. A lifetime of bad eating habits catches up with you fast when all of a sudden you're in your 20s and have a totally sedentary lifestyle.

Woke up one day with a "HOLY SHIT WHAT IS GOING ON," then did the necessary research and made the appropriate lifestyle changes.

TheExodu5

Banned
EviLore said:
I'm down to 6'3" 195lbs myself, after bloating up to a high of 300lbs two years ago. A lifetime of bad eating habits catches up with you fast when all of a sudden you're in your 20s and have a totally sedentary lifestyle.

Woke up one day with a "HOLY SHIT WHAT IS GOING ON," then did the necessary research and made the appropriate lifestyle changes.

It's funny how you just realize it all of a sudden...I remember the exact day when I realized I had gained a fair amount of weight. You're a better man than me for actually making the changes. I stopped my weight gain, but have not committed enough to actually reduce my weight.

I guess I better get on that.

Amir0x

Banned
Void Insanity said:
Why are you dancing to Thriller at a zoo for cats?

why shouldn't I? It was a great day! ;)

CurseoftheGods said:
If EviLore is still reading the thread, could you enlighten us on what happened with sp0rsk's modship?

He can fill in complete details but from everything I seen he was very very publicly disagreeing with the new neoGAF look and was actually like derailing Evilore's topic about it and generally being inharmonious with other mods. Lots of that arguing/disagreeing in public stuff.

I know it was only the catalyst, the final straw, because there was discussions about it prior. But I forgot the previous incidents.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
EviLore said:

When did you start up BJJ?

I know what you're saying, EviLore. I'm not huge by any means, but I'm definitely jiggly in some places, which is something I've never felt before a year ago. Time to start cutting back on excesses.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow, lots of previous fatties on GAF it seems. Thank goodness for being blessed with high metabolism, and not really liking to eat too much.

I'm definitely out of shape though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
It's funny how you just realize it all of a sudden...I remember the exact day when I realized I had gained a fair amount of weight. You're a better man than me for actually making the changes. I stopped my weight gain, but have not committed enough to actually reduce my weight.

Once you get past the initial "oh god this is a shock to my system", you'd be surprised at how quickly it goes by. You just need to start. It's like writing an annoying essay or something, I guess. Just start it.

TheExodu5 said:

I was like that, 6'4 and currently 210 pounds, went down from 280. When I entered university, that's when I changed and lost the weight ( lots and lots of peer pressure ).

A few months back EviLore mentioned working with ckohler on an official GAF smartphone app. Is that still happening? Thought I'd ask here since Evil is present.

Thanks, Amir0x. I could imagine that support's the biggest factor.
TheExodu5 said:
Water is such a huge one for me. Too much beer. Too much soda. Iced coffee every day. I could easily cut out 500-1000 calories just switching to water.

Of course, I really should get into running (or at least more biking, since I love biking).
Me too. I drink a lot of liquid (somewhere around 1/2 gallon every day) but it sometimes includes a lot of kool-aid.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
criesofthepast said:
A few months back EviLore mentioned working with ckohler on an official GAF smartphone app. Is that still happening? Thought I'd ask here since Evil is present.
I know that most of my GAF viewing is done through the Second apps unofficial app. I realise this may cut into ad money, so it would be nice to one day get an app that provides this functionality on touch devices but also helps pay the bills.

Johnas

Shouta said:
As I recall, yes but Lore might remember better than I would.

I was always under the impression that yudaan became lyre (name change first, then a mod) maybe due to his tag or something, but I could be wrong. Also, the connection between him and Dragona, never knew the first thing about that.

Amir0x, much respect on the weight loss.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
When I start drinking water seriously, I always drink a lot. Problem is that I have to pee all the time. I start pissing once like every twenty minutes or less. It's like my bladders on overload or I can't hold a lot.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Trojita said:
When did you start up BJJ?

2005 originally, but I was not in the right physical condition to train back then. I had probably the worst cardio of all time, was weak as hell, and I was overweight in a skinny fat sort of way (230lbs or so). My body just fell apart repeatedly, training with a bunch of elite athlete badasses, as much as I had the determination to continue. After I quit, though, that's when I started going down the path to obesity, because I wasn't active afterward.

Wasn't about to go back to BJJ in even worse shape than when I left, so I waited until one year into my fitness progress, one year ago, to return. Was 245lbs or so and it's still been rough on my body but I do a lot of cardio, conditioning, strength training, etc. to keep me in one piece as much as possible, and things are getting better as less people are able to beat me up on the mats ;b

195 now, as mentioned. Looking to be totally fit by the end of the year, so somewhere in the 170-180 range. Then I'll start going for competitions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Trojita said:
When I start drinking water seriously, I always drink a lot. Problem is that I have to pee all the time. I start pissing once like every twenty minutes or less. It's like my bladders on overload or I can't hold a lot.
This is fairly normal if you're not eating in between. That being said, it might be worth getting your kidneys checked out. I'm not an expert, but I think it COULD be indicative of kidney problems in certain cases.

I mean, I don't want to freak you out, the same thing happens to me and I'm totally fine. Next time you visit a GP for a checkup or whatever, you might want to mention it, is all.

I'm 5'7" and 155 lbs. I maintained at 135 lbs all through high school, but I participated in sports and had an unbelievable metabolism, so any bad habits were sweated out. Now I work and come home. Soft drinks are killing me, soda and Gatorade. I just don't feel too nice about my body.

I've been going for long walks at night, though, coming back dripping in sweat. My legs feel great, but my upper body needs some love too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ConradCervantes said:
I'm 5'7" and 155 lbs. I maintained at 135 lbs all through high school, but I participated in sports and had an unbelievable metabolism, so any bad habits were sweated out. Now I work and come home. Soft drinks are killing me, soda and Gatorade. I just don't feel too nice about my body.

I've been going for long walks at night, though, coming back dripping in sweat. My legs feel great, but my upper body needs some love too.
I'm still the 5'11" twig at 130lbs that I've been my entire life. The muscle just doesn't stick to me...

xbhaskarx

EviLore said:

I gained around 20-25 pounds in the last couple years but it's almost all gone now, similar situation, I'm vegan but I was really getting lazy with the exercise.

GAF needs its own line of motivational videos.

Amir0x

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
GAF needs its own line of motivational videos.

too bad nobody has the video of me at 280lbs doing a fake karate training video for a contest (which I won a Nintendo DS, a signed copy of Red Steel soundtrack and a game for)

oh the laughs you guys would have if you could ever re-dig it up

WillyFive

You did great, Amir0x. Things like that can be very tough.

I really do miss Huelen though. It was great having a guy like that around here, and I would not hesitate at all to defend him from the haters here. We were very much alike in our devotion to certain subjects, and made a thread feel a lot more casual and easygoing.

I think he hated me though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Willy105 said:
You did great, Amir0x. Things like that can be very tough.

I really do miss Huelen though. It was great having a guy like that around here, and I would not hesitate at all to defend him from the haters here. We were very much alike in our devotion to certain subjects, and made a thread feel a lot more casual and easygoing.

I think he hated me though.
Huelen was cool, but he really went on a bender at the end. The Sonic 4 thread was hilarious. Mocking the color comparisons I did a photoshop comparison of Sonic's fur in the new and old games, and he actually cited me (I think)

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Amir0x said:
too bad nobody has the video of me at 280lbs doing a fake karate training video for a contest (which I won a Nintendo DS, a signed copy of Red Steel soundtrack and a game for)

Is that a challenge?

Also: I have the most posts in this thread 0_o

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
I used to be about 5'8" and 130lbs way back. I had a ton of trouble putting on weight back then. One summer, I worked at Pepsi and did physical exercise for 8 hours a day. I guess that kind of killed my low activity high metabolism, since I put on some muscle but upped my diet considerable. I was 150lbs at the end of that summer which was a very healthy weight for me. Over the next year, I put on 35 lbs resulting in some nasty stretch marks. Haven't lost it since.

I never really noticed the weight gain at first...it kind of crept up on me.

I just need to eat better and get that exercise in there. I don't mind dropping back down to 150lbs and then work on putting on some muscle.

I'm sort similar to this. 5'11 and I had a similar difficult time gaining weight when I was younger, till uni when I gained more than the typical Freshman 15 by the end. After school was done I exercised heavily and balanced my weight out to around 170. Right now I'm eating healthy enough but exercise I've been neglecting, though my weight has stayed about the same.

I had a similar "aw fuck" moment as EviLore. I tend not to go about changing things till the last minute. :p

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
This thread grew like 10 pages since last night, wtf

Amir0x said:
Anyway, buy Alice: Madness Returns.

When Ami likes a game enough to encourage people to buy it, you know the game gon be gud

ITT I also learned Devolution is female. The more you know indeed.

Amir0x said:
Fun fact: Me and Evilore are only a few days apart in age! Both born in November 1984. He is slightly older I think.

Wait, wait, wait.. So I am older than both of you?

Feels bad, man.

I feel old.
June 1984

CHEEZMO™ said:
http://i.imgur.com/XhFoj.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Ami on the left, right? :p

I don't think that photo looks that bad, really. Besides I'm probably fatter than Ami was there, although I've taken off some weight due to the Victoza shots I'm taking, and I'm waiting for a gastric bypass operation.

And now I know what Ami looks like. For some reason I believed for the longest time that Ami lived in Germany. I have no idea why.

Edit: And it's great to see the mods participating in this thread. Good times.

WillyFive

The_Technomancer said:
Huelen was cool, but he really went on a bender at the end. The Sonic 4 thread was hilarious. Mocking the color comparisons I did a photoshop comparison of Sonic's fur in the new and old games, and he actually cited me (I think)

He is a big reason why I joined this site. I didn't see that kind of in-depth analysis on other sites, and it really intrigued me. NeoGAF is great with it's posters digging up a lot of info (the other day a NeoGAF poster was the source of the most recent shot of Project Hammer), and Huelen felt like a poster boy for the potential I imagined to see here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:

Oh my god, I've seen this. I didn't realise that was you.

If you want an example of just how much weight you've lost, you need to post this.

I'm like 5'11 and 145lbs and have never been above that. I am pretty sedentary and drink soda/energy drinks, but drink water a lot more than I used to. I ate a lot, but I think my metababolism is beginning to fail me, at 22 and a slight beer gut :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
EviLore said:

300? wtf. That's insane, we have the same body type.

I met big Amirox back in the day.

I went from 185 to a current 230.

Big thread I'll have to go back through it at some point. What's the IRC server again? I lost it when I formatted recently. :| Was thinking the other day how much I miss #ga

Amir0x

Banned
Wellington said:
300? wtf. That's insane, we have the same body type.

I met big Amirox back in the day.

I went from 185 to a current 230.

oh shit i forgot you met me during my fat stage

ohhh yeah. Dude that day was fuggin' hot too I had to walk my ass from this comic store that MickeyKnox showed me alll the way to this Broadway show I was going to see. My fat ass nearly fainted.

I played Alice: MR but I didn't enjoyed it as much, I guess new found love in Witcher 2 has taken priority over all others and underwhelmed their experience. I'll prob give it another shot when I pass by the rental store again (after I beat the Witcher 2 for 2nd time).

Nelo Ice

Banned
so since this is kinda OT as it is what exactly is or was ur diet for the guys who lost weight?

been doing p90x for 2 weeks(currently on 3rd) and have tried to eat better like the usual cut out soda processed foods fast foods etc etc but since i cant cook for shit i keep avoiding anything that needs to be cooked besides w/e my sister makes for dinner lol

also im in the skinny fat mold at 5'6 and 134 lbs last i checked(which was last year lol) id wager i maybe went up a few lbs but since my metablisms weird i never really get fat besides having a gut im currently trying to get rid of

besides the gut though im seeing improvements all around thanks to p90x

-Eddman-

Damn, it's weird to say this, but I would like to use some of your experiences as motivation to gain weight. I'm in the opposite side, I'm way too skinny for my own good but I can't find the time/motivation to eat 5 or 6 times a day and go to the gym.

I would like to see some "I was a bonesack but then I got ripped" stories :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom