• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2012 Edition

Parade's End gets much better in the 2nd half of the 1st episode.

Really liked A touch of Cloth too. Reminds me of Sledge Hammer, except without all the over the top gun fetish.

200px-Sledgehammer-dvd.jpg

Raxus

August

Thursday, 9

Children's Hospital - Adult Swim - 12/11c

NTSF:SD:SUV:: - Adult Swim - 12:15/11:15c

Saturday, 1

Dr. Who - BBC HD/BBC America - 9/8c

Thursday, 20

Parks and Recreation - NBC - 9:30/8:30c

Monday, 24

Castle - ABC - 10/9c

Wednesday, 26

South Park - Comedy Central - 10/9c

Key and Peele - Comedy Central - 10:30/9:30c

Thursday, 27

Elementary - CBS - 10/9c - NEW SERIES

Friday, 28

Fringe - Fox - 9/8c - (final season)

Sunday, 30

Once Upon a Time - ABC - 8/7c

Bob's Burgers - Fox - 8:30/7:30c

The Good Wife - CBS - 9/8c

Homeland - Showtime - 10/9c

TBA

Downton Abbey - ITV (UK only; January for the US)

October

Wednesday, 10

Nashville - ABC - 10/9c - NEW SERIES

Friday, 19

Community - NBC - 8:30/7:30c

Tuesday, 23

Happy Endings - ABC - 9/8c

December

These shows plus Gravity Falls on Fridays are all on my watch list as well as Young Justice. I will add Justified and Venture Bros but I am certain those are early 2013.

Sundays are busy as usual but at least I have more shows to record on Friday.

I feel like I am missing something big on my list but I can't figure out what...

Zalasta

Saw The New Normal, got a few laughs but yeah, Ryan Murphy still can't write crap for characters. Typical paper thin stereotypes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Fox Renews ‘Hotel Hell’ For Second Season

Fox has given Gordon Ramsay’s newest reality series Hotel Hell a second-season order. After having its premiere date pushed a couple of times, Hotel Hell posted the highest-rated series debut of the summer and ranks as this summer’s No. 1 new series among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 as well as other demos. “With Hotel Hell, Gordon has proved once again that he’s one of the most successful and appealing personalities on television,” said Fox’s president of alternative entertainment Mike Darnell. “He delivered an amazing new show for us this summer that fans immediately embraced.”

Let's see what I'll be tuning into...

Person of Interest (best show of last year)
Homeland
Dexter
Doctor Who
A bunch of USA shows whose second halves of the season will continue in Fall/Winter
-- Suits
-- Burn Notice
-- White Collar
Elementary (I will check it out to see if it turned out crap or if it's alright)
American Horror Story: Asylum (couldn't even finish half of the first season, though the premise of the new season has me intrigued)
Revenge (need to catch up on the last few seasons of S1 first)
Shark Tank
The Mentalist
Bones
Supernatural
Nikita
Castle
Community
Parks & Rec
Fringe
The Office
A Touch of Cloth
Hawaii 5-0
Modern Family
Psych

Maybe:
Arrow
Happy Endings
2 Broke Girls
666 Park Ave

Hey, is CW's Cult still coming on? I didn't notice it in the OP. Not much of the other shows seem very interesting outside of my list.

Linius

Person of Interest season one just started broadcasting over here in The Netherlands. Really diggin' it so far. Guess I'll be adding the second season to my list of shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The second half of season 1 of Switched at Birth on ABC Family at 8/7c

The miniseries premiere of Coma on A&E at 9/8c

Reviews:

AV Club - Coma

F

Coma is bad television. It doesn’t even manage to be enjoyably bad television, the kind of television that lets itself go into farcical plotlines and character tropes without a backward glance. If television has to be bad, let it at least be risky. Or pulpy. Or sexy. Or scary. Let it attempt to do, or be, anything remotely interesting.

Despite a star-studded cast and what looks like a pretty hefty budget, Coma accomplishes nothing. It wants to be a good-bad TV movie, but it fails in almost every capacity. It’s pulpy, but without enough pulp; sexy without any heat; "suspenseful" without much suspense; well-cast but not well-acted, well-produced but not well-directed. It is more boring than entertaining, which fails the first commandment of television, and yes, it could even potentially be coma-inducing. It’s that bad.

NY Times - Coma

Perhaps the best way to view this sometimes entertaining, sometimes infuriating “Coma” is as a metaphor. It’s unlikely that such a hospital exists, but the horrors of navigating the health care system and of retaining personal control over medical care in the biotech age are as real as can be.

Vulture - Coma

Like American Horror Story — and like Lars von Trier's hospital horror miniseries The Kingdom, which the filmmakers must have studied — Coma is a soap opera from hell. It looks like a German Expressionist "Rebuild Detroit" ad and hypes up already-tense scenes with synthesized burbles, groans, and chants. Screenwriter John J. McLaughlin and director Mikael Solomon treat Susan's dark adventures as an opportunity to stage dozens of haunted-house-style shocks, but not all at once. The catalogue approach to phobias reminded me a little bit of Poltergeist, which could have been titled If It Scares You, It's Probably in Here. Murderous doctors and nurses? Check. Deranged stalker in a deserted building? Yes. Tendrils sprouting from walls like the candelabra hands in Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast? Surprisingly, yes.

When basic horror techniques work — as it they often do in Coma — it doesn't matter if a given scene pushes your phobic buttons or merely keeps you interested. You always admire the craft: the Dutch angles and silhouettes, the silent movie close-ups of faces in torment. The super-cheesy dialogue is just right. "You don't have the life experience to come to the conclusions I have come to," a conspirator growls. "The herd must be culled, and we must protect mankind!" "You see," says Mrs. Emerson in her southern grandma sing-song, "they're not really aliiiiive!"

SFGate - Coma

For the most part, the crucial element of the unknown is missing from the A&E miniseries, reducing the film to a moderately engaging whodunit with expansive credibility gaps in plot and character

[...]

Sure, it'll keep you awake while it's airing, but the earlier film and Cook's classic novel kept you up all night long.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
LOL at Coma I saw ad for it last night and put it on dvr schedule, now it sounds like a waste of dvr space

I was going to watch it, but those reviews have me rethinking my plan...Some of the reviews say that it's pretty bad, yet others give me hope that it could still be sort of fun. I guess I might check it out if I ever have 4 hours to waste.

I thought Go On might be decent, and Mindy Kaling Project looked terrible.

After watching the pilots...

Mindy was surprisingly decent, and Go On was horrendous :(

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/kyle-killen-drama-lands-at-abc-as-put-pilot/

EXCLUSIVE: Influence, a drama project from Lone Star and Awake creator Kyle Killen, has received a put pilot commitment by ABC.

The project, from 20th Century Fox TV where Killen is under a deal, is described as a provocative workplace ensemble centered on the complicated relationship between two brothers — a bipolar genius in human psychology and a slick ex-con — who head a unique agency designed to solve their clients’ problems using the real science of human motivation and manipulation. In addition to helping their clients, the agency’s staff sometime turn their powers to pull strings on one another. Killen is the writer/executive producer.

Influence marks a departure from Killen’s previous two projects, Fox’s Lone Star and NBC’s Awake, which both had very complex, non-linear narratives as they centered on protagonists living dual lives. Still, Killen kept a duality element in his new project, making one of the main characters bipolar. On the feature side, Killen wrote the Black List script The Beaver, which was directed by Jodie Foster.

ABC is probably a good fit, as its the only network that's been able to pull of shows with more serialized elements on a consistent basis.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/kyle-killen-drama-lands-at-abc-as-put-pilot/

ABC is probably a good fit, as its the only network that's been able to pull of shows with more serialized elements on a consistent basis.

Yes! It's great to see Killen get another crack at a TV show. Hopefully this one is more successful than his other shows. 3rd time/3rd channel is the charm! It's also interesting that he's keeping the theme of duality that permeated his previous works.

Sounds like it could have been a good fit for USA. Hopefully it isn't too procedural.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yes! It's great to see Killen get another crack at a TV show. Hopefully this one is more successful than his other shows. 3rd time/3rd channel is the charm! It's also interesting that he's keeping the theme of duality that permeated his previous works.

Sounds like it could have been a good fit for USA. Hopefully it isn't too procedural.

I heard it's a serialized procedural and more ABC than USA. Or, as it was eloquently described, "Scandal if it didn't suck"

TripOpt55

I just watched the Revolution pilot. Hmmm... seems like it could be alright. Is there a thread discussing it somewhere?

Top Bottom