• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2012 Edition

Sep 14 - Ultimate Fighter
Sep 16 - BWE
Sep 17 - Revolution
Sep 19 - Survivor
Sep 25 - Vegas
Sep 26 - South Park
Sep 27 - Big Bang and Last Resort
Sep 29 - TMNT?
Sep 30 - Amazing Race

I think I'm going to PVR all of these..........is TMNT going to be shown in Canada?

And I may watch Family Guy but I usually wait for it to be on demand for when I'm really bored.......except now I do have a PVR so I'll see how much space I have left

Edit - Forgot about Last Resort, I love submarine movies so this could be good for me

JaCy

The past few weeks I've watched The Mindy Project,The New Normal and finished Revenge. Definitely going to watch Revenge(Daniel <3 ), plus Madeleine Stowe is just fantastic.

I was pleasantly surprised by both of the other shows, will check out the first few episodes to see how they turn out.

Busty

Banned
t's a boring pilot with a mediocre writing staff on a show that looks uncomfortably less expensive than it actually was and has a shitty timeslot so yeah.

Agreed. Though I haven't seen the full thing yet what I have seen looks horribly cheap considering the amount of cash they spent on the pilot. And the pilot was shot by an actual feature director to boot.

I'm eager to see what other people think they when see it.

Busty

Banned
The first ratings of the new season.

*explodes with excitement*

The Voice - 4.1/11
The New Normal - 2.5/6

Eh. That's about where I expected The Voice to start. But I'm not sure if NBC would be happy with those numbers for The New Normal. A 2.5 seems a little soft even by NBC's standards.

Did they already air/première this during the Olympics like Go On?

Thanks. I'll give it a look.

ivysaur12

Banned
The first ratings of the new season.

*explodes with excitement*

Eh. That's about where I expected The Voice to start. But I'm not sure if NBC would be happy with those numbers for The New Normal. A 2.5 seems a little soft even by NBC's standards.

Did they already air/première this during the Olympics like Go On?

Thanks. I'll give it a look.

No, they didn't. It's a low premiere. I kind of liked it, oh well. Sucks for 20th.

The Cancellation Thread!! Now that we have numbers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wait, The New Normal premiered last night? I thought it was tonight...?

Oop, talking out of my ass apparently, it must be a collaboration project. Nick produces. But I know Bardel is animating, so... I dunno. Haha.

Either way, it'll surely come to both the US and Canada!

Sure. He's also made two boring cop shows and a boring pilot about people on submarines. It's a boring pilot with a mediocre writing staff on a show that looks uncomfortably less expensive than it actually was and has a shitty timeslot so yeah.
And yet it's one of the most recommended, talked about pilots of the season.
Terriers is a cop show? Since when?
And calling The Shield 'boring' (of all things) might be about the stupidest thing I've heard on GAF in a while.
Did Shawn Ryan kill your family by any chance

Radec

How I Met Your Mother - CBS - 8/7c
2 Broke Girls - CBS - 9/8c
Supernatural - CW - 9/8c
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - FX - 10/9c
The League - FX - 10:30/9:30c
The Walking Dead - AMC - 9/8c
Community - NBC - 8:30/7:30c
Nikita - CW - 9/8c
Happy Endings - ABC - 9/8c

I love this time of the year.

ivysaur12

Banned
And yet it's one of the most recommended, talked about pilots of the season.
Terriers is a cop show? Since when?
And calling The Shield 'boring' (of all things) might be about the stupidest thing I've heard on GAF in a while.
Did Shawn Ryan kill your family by any chance

Well, first, I'm talking about The Unit and The Chicago Code as two wholly uninteresting shows that he made. And I didn't like the pilot at all, and think it's a bad investment for those involved.

To diminish my opinion because you suggest it's somehow irrational to not enjoy Last Resort pilot because of some consolidation of critical consensus is folly. There are plenty of shows with poor critical consensus that I quite enjoyed (The Neighbors, The New Normal) and plenty that are considered the best of the season that I thought were pretty trashy (Ben and Kate, Vegas). I've also stated, multiple times when questioned, why exactly I didn't enjoy the pilot.

Go ahead, it's online now by ABC. You can watch and judge for yourself.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The regular time period debut of Go On on NBC at 9/8c

The New Normal on NBC at 9:30/8:30c (I guess this premiered last night though?)

The fourth season of Parenthood on NBC at 10/9c

The fifth season of Sons of Anarchy on FX at 10/9c

Reviews:

Sepinwall - The New Normal

C-

"The New Normal" opens with Bryan recording a video diary for their unborn baby, getting choked up as he ponders the idea that he or she might one day call him "daddy." Rannells' face is in tight close-up, the emotion on display very raw and genuine, and it's a smart move to get viewers on his side as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, the pilot then goes out of its way to undermine that feeling early and often in service of one ill-conceived joke after another. In the worst of these, we see Bryan shopping for pants when his attention is captured by something else in the men's department.

"Ohmigod, that is the cutest thing I have ever seen!" he exclaims. "I must have it!"

He is, of course, looking at a baby in a stroller, and though Rannells' face again melts, it means nothing, because the earlier line — not to mention a later one where he tells David, "I want us to have baby clothes — and a baby to wear them" — fits a whole bunch of homophobic assumptions about how gay men would only want children as some kind of stylish accessory.

And that's unfortunately how "The New Normal" keeps operating: two parts Check Out How Daring We Can Be for every one part Please Emotionally Invest In What Is Happening. Mixing humor and sincerity is far from an impossibility — Lear did it regularly, and Adler did it with her "Chuck" scripts — but here they're constantly at odds.

We're asked to care about Goldie as she tries to break her family cycle of "babies having babies" so daughter Shania (Bebe Wood) can have a better future, but her scenes mainly play like a delivery system for Ellen Barkin to strut on-screen and do her best Sue Sylvester impression as Goldie's racist, homophobic grandmother Jane, who in the pilot alone crudely insults both gay men and lesbians, Jews, Asians, African-Americans and even the disabled. To go back to Lear, even Archie Bunker was more subtle than this — and that was 40 years ago. Barkin's there to stir up controversy and attention, little more.

I don't think Murphy is being dishonest when he hypes up his shows. I think he genuinely believes that "Glee" is consistently about all the things he says it's about, and that "The New Normal" really has a lot to say about the atypical state of the modern American family. But the execution in this case is too shrill and scattered to get any of his points — or jokes — across.

AV Club - The New Normal

D+

Normally, Murphy and Adler can be counted on for a handful of jokes so well-constructed or so weirdly transgressive that they provoke at least a smile. That’s simply not the case here. The jokes keep piling up, but the laughs are nonexistent. There are good elements here and there in The New Normal. If it were from any other producer, there might be enough here to suggest a “wait and see” attitude, one that saw how awful the pilot was but allowed the producers time to work with the talented cast. Instead, this show comes from Murphy, and when you’ve got a Ryan Murphy show that’s too broad, too loud, too enamored of its own tweaks at the status quo, and too terrified of anything that isn’t delivered with 15 exclamation marks, it’s easy to expect things will only be downhill from here. A low-key family comedy about two gay parents and their surrogate could have been amazing, but it would have required a deft touch. Murphy seems to have started with, “How can we get banned by the Salt Lake City NBC affiliate?” and gone from there.

Poniewozik - The New Normal

Often, I think, the best way to make an effective show about a larger social issue is to start with grounded, engaging characters and let the bigger meaning come from there: see, for instance, how Parks and Recreation builds on the relationships and dreams of its bureaucrats to tell stories about community and how people can do good (or screw up) through public institutions. The New Normal, on the other hand, has too many shrill, irritating characters to appreciate it as anything other than a statement about How Parenting Is Changing Now. And, frankly, given that gay parenting has been a major subject for three years on one of the most popular sitcoms on TV—Modern Family—it’s hard to buy The New Normal’s premise that it’s making us confront a shocking shift in society’s norms.

Really, the most potentially interesting dynamic in this story is not the gay adoption but the implied class issues—here, involving a very well-to-do couple whose lives are intersecting with the poor single mom they’ve hired as a surrogate. Maybe that could make for a more interesting story going forward, but for now this show is much more normal—read: mediocre—than it seems to think it is.

TripOpt55

Is there a thread for Parenthood? Really good show. I am looking forward to the new season. I will be watching Go On as well and I still need to watch Sons of Anarchy Season 4 :| I am going to be a bit late to that one. I will record them and get the DVD soon I hope.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is there a thread for Parenthood? Really good show. I am looking forward to the new season. I will be watching Go On as well and I still need to watch Sons of Anarchy Season 4 :| I am going to be a bit late to that one. I will record them and get the DVD soon I hope.

In the op! Link.

Wes

venison crêpe
Arrow does intrigue me. I hope it turns out decent.

I thought the Last Resort pilot was pretty good. Introduced everyone quickly, had a few thrills, set up the immediate premise cleanly and dropped some subtle mysteries leading in to the future.

Also, good grief Autumn Reeser is incredibly hot.

Holy shit, Last Resort might be the best Pilot this season. Introduces lots of cool characters who aren't annoying, as well an interesting plot. There are a lot of story threads that can be explored.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The second season of The X Factor on Fox at 8/7c (Part 1)

A special audition event of The Voice on NBC at 8/7c

A sneak preview of Guys With Kids on NBC at 10/9c

Reviews:

Mo Ryan - Guys with Kids

Parenthood is a pretty comical state of affairs (see also: The film and TV versions of "Parenthood," and endless array of sitcoms and movie comedies, real life, etc.). The dignity and autonomy of those with kids is constantly compromised by tiny beings that can't even vote or drive. Where's the humor in that? Oh, I don't know, everywhere? Yet this show fails to find any of it, and rests most of its humor on a very tired and ill-conceived hook: Men taking care of small children is hilarious because it's so unexpected! And that makes me wonder: What rock have the people who created this show been living under? It's neither unusual or necessarily hysterical to see men caring for the their children, yet "Guys With Kids" would have you believe that dudes wearing baby slings is intrinsically guffaw-inducing (and maybe it was ... in the poster for "The Hangover"). The women here are shrewish, the vibe is both manic and tired, and overall, the decent cast (which includes the wonderful Anthony Anderson) is given nothing funny to do. All things considered, if you're going to watch a very broad comedy on NBC, make it the one with the monkey.

Poniewozik - Guys with Kids

The first problem is that she show’s defining sight gag is already a cliché: the idea that men wearing babies is inherently hilarious is already well-plowed by The Hangover and What to Expect When You’re Expecting. The other problem is that it’s too typical of Guys‘ humor: many of the jokes are not really jokes at all, except it’s supposed to be funny that a dude is saying them. As when Gary commiserates with Nick’s wife about begin taken for granted as a stay-at-home spouse: “Believe me, I know. And then when you do finally wind [the kids] down, they come in and wind them right back up! And then have to take an ‘emergency call from work’… just when it’s bathtime!”

Guys With Kids‘ problem isn’t really in its heart but in its guts. Like so many bad sitcoms every year, it just doesn’t have the guts to go beyond the most obvious jokes in its premise—and the most obvious jokes in this one are that, three decades after Mr. Mom, it’s hi-larious when dads try to be “moms.” It’s conceivable, I guess, that it could become as good as the show its producers say they had in mind. But it will have to man up.

Tim Goodman - Guys with Kids

Well, one of the problems [with the show is that] fathers taking care of their kids is not unique. Their problems doing it are not original. No matter how the three male stars (Anthony Anderson, Zach Cregger and Jesse Bradford) play their plight, it never garners more than a smile at best because it's so patently not unusual. In fact, it's less funny because the pretense that it should be unique is insulting. It's 2012, not 1955.

Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Tempestt Bledsoe and Erinn Hayes get to wear the pants, but even that's not particularly funny. Think about how strange that is -- Mom's working. Hi-larious! What's really funny (in a sad, sad way) is that NBC is so desperate for anything that funny people like Fallon pitch, it can't seem to say no to what is obviously a limited-potential series. Guys With Kids is a series that works on paper but not in the pilot. It's a show that should never have been put on paper to begin with.

schuey7

I saw the Last Resort pilot and I can safely say I'll be watching it.It seems that there are a lot of little story threads for them to follow.

Yeah, I enjoyed the Last Resort pilot. The first half was a little shakey and the Sub scenes did look a little cheap, but it was entertaining and intriguing.

Zalasta

I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I didn't care for the Last Resort at all. What a preposterous set of circumstances. Zero characterizations which meant I could care less about the crew's fate. I'll watch it, only to see how quickly the plot will unravel and fall flat on its face.

Arrow does intrigue me. I hope it turns out decent.

I thought the Last Resort pilot was pretty good. Introduced everyone quickly, had a few thrills, set up the immediate premise cleanly and dropped some subtle mysteries leading in to the future.

Also, good grief Autumn Reeser is incredibly hot.

Autumn........damn she was hot...
Liked the pilot alot!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

A special unseen episode of Touch on Fox at 8/7c

The fourth season of Shark Tank on ABC at 8/7c

Primetime: What Would You Do? on ABC at 9/8c

The regular time period debut of Grimm on NBC at 9/8c

20/20 on ABC at 10/9c

Wes

venison crêpe
The Mob Doctor was... mildly interesting. It's a new twist on the medical drama but not something we haven't seen before elsewhere. Two seperate worlds yadda yadda yadda. Decent acting and characters. The backing soundtrack/medical music whatever is horrificly tiresome though. They could've gone down a different track with this but instead they went the 90s ER route. Urgh.

The most confusing thing about this show is the age of the lead character. I honestly can't tell if she's mid 20s or late 30s.

On the plus side it has Saracen.

ivysaur12

Banned
The Mob Doctor was... mildly interesting. It's a new twist on the medical drama but not something we haven't seen before elsewhere. Two seperate worlds yadda yadda yadda. Decent acting and characters. The backing soundtrack/medical music whatever is horrificly tiresome though. They could've gone down a different track with this but instead they went the 90s ER route. Urgh.

The most confusing thing about this show is the age of the lead character. I honestly can't tell if she's mid 20s or late 30s.

On the plus side it has Saracen.

That's kind of how I felt. I mean, it could have been much worse, but it was okay. Probably not going to watch another episode, though.

Wes

venison crêpe
I think the producers meeting went something like this:

"We should do a medical drama because people eat that stuff up."
"Ok, but lets add a twist so people don't think it's just the same old hospital show though."
"I have just the idea!"

As a pilot it's pretty bad. Whilst it sets up the general idea quite well there is a substantial change of what each character is there for in the last 10 minutes. Personally I think that's asking for trouble in a pilot.

And the music really was horrendous. It's not chart songs or anythign in that vein, but just demo tunes from a pre-internet era Casio keyboard level of mind-numbingness.

That's kind of how I felt. I mean, it could have been much worse, but it was okay. Probably not going to watch another episode, though.

Yeah I think this was a one and done for me too.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think the producers meeting went something like this:

"We should do a medical drama because people eat that stuff up."
"Ok, but lets add a twist so people don't think it's just the same old hospital show though."
"I have just the idea!"

As a pilot it's pretty bad. Whilst it sets up the general idea quite well there is a substantial change of what each character is there for in the last 10 minutes. Personally I think that's asking for trouble in a pilot.

And the music really was horrendous. It's not chart songs or anythign in that vein, but just demo tunes from a pre-internet era Casio keyboard level of mind-numbingness.

Yeah I think this was a one and done for me too.

Well, yes. And then they got Jordana Spiro and people (especially executives) like her. I don't expect it to do well, but I do think those involved are talented enough to know that they've created "Bland Network Procedural #4"

(Still, there were parts of TMD that were enjoyable. And, I got through the entire thing. More than I can say for most new dramas this year)

burnfout

Me:
The Walking Dead
Criminal Minds
Fringe
Breaking Bad
Supernatural
Sons of Anarchy
Boardwalk Empire

My Girlfriend:
Pretty little Liars
Grey's Anatomy
Gossip Girl
Up all Night
New Girl
Glee
The Big Bang Theory

Together:
Modern Family
How I Met your Mother
Dexter
Homeland
Community
Vampire Diaries
Mad Men
The News Room
Cougar Town
Treme

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The third season of Are We There Yet? on TBS at 12/11 AM

The eighth season of Bones on Fox at 8/7c

The Mob Doctor on Fox at 9/8c

Revolution on NBC at 10/9c

Reviews:

Sepinwall - Revolution

C

There are some obvious echoes of "Lost" (which Abrams co-created), and of the many half-baked "Lost" imitators that failed quickly in the years since. Aaron is very much the Hurley figure, and there are already plenty of cryptic clues about what happened with the power and whether it can already be turned back on. The problem is that "Lost" (and before it, "X-Files") pretty clearly demonstrated that mythology on a sci-fi series like this becomes more trouble than it's worth, and that if the other parts — the characters in particular, but also the storytelling that has nothing to do with presenting and solving mysteries — aren't any good, then the mythology sure won't be worth it on its own.

Esposito and Burke are good enough that I'll watch a bit longer just for them, but that's about all I took out of the pilot, character-wise. And though the swordfight is very cool, it — and some of the more haunting post-apocalyptic imagery (like Wrigley Field overrun with ivy) — feels like the kind of thing that will be downplayed once the series is working on a regular budget and schedule. (TV shows virtually always look more expensive in their pilot episodes than they ever do after.)

I can see the pluses and (mostly) minuses of living in a world without electricity, just as I can see why these three men thought it would be fun to come together to tell the story of that world. But they haven't done enough with it to make me instantly pull my nose up from my phone whenever the next episode starts.

Mo Ryan - Revolution

I am torn between the competence of the "Revolution" pilot and the fact that, over the long haul, none of the broadcast network shows with genre overtones have ever consistently had a tenth of the wit, audacity or depth of the mothership, i.e., "Lost."

Will "Revolution" be able to inject its tech-dystopia with real stakes if it's hard to care whether the younger characters live or die? Will it be one of those shows where the Big Concept crowds out the construction of a believable world and compelling relationships? I simply don't know, and I have to get back to my electronic devices, so I'll close this post with two thoughts.

First, I put some of those questions to Kripke in an interview that I'll post Tuesday, after "Revolution's" premiere. Second, only time will tell whether this show will finally break the curse of every show from "FlashForward" to "V" to "The Event" and "Invasion" and "Terra Nova" and "V" and a dozen other shows I've spent too much time rewriting in my head.

Seriously, I want "Revolution" to work, despite the fact that positive experiences with dramas like this are more rare than NBC's accidental encounters with healthy ratings -- they're just too inconsistent to believe in. One thing you can be sure of: I'll assess the show again in the coming months, once I decide which part of my brain was right.

Poniewozik - Revolution

It’s all far from terrible, but there are few gasps, goosebumps or laugh-out-loud moments—the sort of things that convert wanting to like an ambitious show into actually liking it for itself. Revolution has promise. It has crossbows and swordplay. It has a lot of room for world-building and stories that could sustain for seasons.

What it still needs is that magic that makes you thrill and care about characters whom you feel you know as distinctive people. For lack of a better word, I’ll call that: electricity.

Tim Goodman - Revolution

The pilot is a winner, and it will pull you back the following week. The question is whether the story not told in the pilot will be the story that keeps viewers around or sends them away.

- The Mob Doctor

Mostly, it's a hospital drama -- and a rote one at that. The side job stitching up bad guys seems tacked on for no reason, like racing flames on a Prius. Yeah, yeah, it's different. It's not just a hospital drama. See, she's a doctor and she works for the … oh, never mind.

The truly odd thing about The Mob Doctor is there's a pretty good show sitting right there inside the pilot. The wonderful William Forsythe plays a mob boss, and every time the camera is on him and every time he talks, you want the show to be about him. Leave the doctor behind. Call it The Mob Boss and you've got something.

Vulture - The Mob Doctor

The Mob Doctor’s pilot is stranded between quality cable nuance and broadcast network spoon-feeding. Some of the expository dialogue is bad even by Fox drama standards. But there’s a lot to like here: Spiro’s old-movie toughness and understated glamour; the occasional shifts into subjective slow motion; Forsythe’s silverback gorilla craftiness; a double-twist ending. The soundtrack choices are smart: Every pop song has at least two meanings.

The Mob Doctor is created and written by Josh Berman (Drop Dead Diva, Bones) and Rob Wright (Drop Dead Diva, Crossing Jordan), showrunners who prefer dames to babes. Grace is a dame through-and-through, snapping out terse one-liners and striding through chop shops and hospital corridors with a gunfighter’s gait that would make Raylan Givens’s heart race. But more action-movie posturing is the last thing The Mob Doctor needs. The story is about trying to be a moral person in immoral circumstances while battling the childhood demons in your head. The deeper it dives into Grace’s mind, the more special it will become.

NY Times - The Mob Doctor

The Fox series “The Mob Doctor,” which begins on Monday night, is an odd hybrid, a medical drama merged with a Mafia morality play. It’s hard to tell from one episode how sustainable this gimmick will be, but from the pilot one thing is sure: the writers never encountered the adage “less is more.”

Ms. Spiro is perfectly adequate, but for her to have a chance to be memorable this show will need the courage to slow its pace. If you think of it as filling the medical hole in Fox’s schedule created by the departure of the venerable “House,” the challenge becomes clear. “House” didn’t survive for all those years on its operating-room scenes; it survived on Hugh Laurie’s ever-deeper portrayal.

SFGate - The Mob Doctor

"The Mob Doctor," a new dramatic series on Fox, defies both the laws of physics and of television itself: Despite being jam-packed with plot twists, character reveals, surprises, a car chase, a couple of dead people and a lot of cell phone calls followed by "I have to go," it is a constant struggle for a viewer to avoid being bored to tears.

The concept is silly, a kindergarten class could have fashioned a more credible script, the characters are unbelievable, and the performances are awful. Because there's a good chance the cast will be looking for work very soon, I won't single any specific performance out for criticism. To be fair, Meryl Streep and Dame Judi Dench couldn't sell this drivel.

ivysaur12

Banned
So I guess The New Normal is just a half-hour of Glee minus singing.

Holy soapboxing Batman. But at least he takes up torch in the valiant fight against gingers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The second season of Up All Night on NBC at 8:30/7:30c

The ninth and final season of The Office on NBC at 9/8c

The fifth season of Parks and Recreation on NBC at 9:30/8:30c

POV on PBS at 10/9c

Top Bottom