• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where does Microsoft go from here?

Where does Microsoft go from here?

• Stay the course

Votes: 177 57.8%
  • Change Gamepass (no more Day 1 drops)

Votes: 73 23.9%
  • Abort - Gamepass on other platforms, stop worrying about console sales

Votes: 56 18.3%

• Total voters

SteadyEvo

šŸ˜† HiFi Rush isnā€™t a bad game at all. Pretty good actually. The problem is they have a collection of pretty good, ā€œsmallerā€ games. As Dusk Falls was amazing but people want high production value, story and characters which is were Sony excels. The fact is they just donā€™t have games that compare to GOW(which I think sucks ass since leaving Greek mythology), Horizon(glorified Ubisoft open world) and TLOU/UC/Death Stranding(masterpieces).

They could continue to exist in 3rd place indefinitely. The only issue is fanboys and haters getting caught up in the numbers. I understand the appeal but Iā€™m not being paid to crunch numbers.

Then thereā€™s management. It appears that they canā€™t manage studios to save their lives. The stories from Undead Labs and The Initiativeā€¦ smh. Maybe a change in leadership would do them some good. Poach some talent from the competition. Whip these guys into shape and give them the freedom to make something theyā€™re passionate about. And for the love the god give Halo and Gears a rest. Iā€™m still salty about Black Tusk changing to the coalition and churning out gears when they were working on something original. Move away from the tried and true and take some risks.

The Activision deal will help. So would buying Sega šŸ˜ Exclusive Yakuza and reviving the best of the Dreamcast šŸ¤¤

94a63a78f6b75f56b773b4cd7cce658e.jpg

Nintendo has no interest in the praise of ants.

Sony already does that, why not MS?

All of you make my blue blood boil. Once i've euthanized all the green rats i'll be sure to clean up the rest of you

This is one GENEROUS ass list! No, the "bots" are not out. Believe or not, a lot of real people are not happy with Microsoft. People who probably own an Xbox too.

Forza/hot wheels- forza is good and the second expansion will be a nice addition to the library but they need to step up their game in a few key areas. It's starting to feel like more of the same.

What? Horizon 4 and 5 blew the doors off fun arcade games. More of the same is exactly what the FH series should deliver. Evolution not revolution when you nail the formula as hard as Forza Horizon 5/Hot Wheels did.

Sea of Thieves- old ass game. Cool if you're into that kinda niche online game.

It's a GaaS game and growing massive still, 20 Million players is not niche.

Tunic-great little indie but it's multi-plat with a short window of exclusivity

My point is Gamepass put games like Tunic out there, I played then. Solid game marketed by Xbox. Literally we have endless posts how MS should market games more. Here's a perfect example.

Pentiment-as niche as niche can get. Doubt many gaffers will care or play it.

I'm not a fan but it's been received far beyond niche. Just because GAF doesn't like it doesn't mean it's not popular or well received, they don't all have to be AAA selling 10Mil.

Avengers/gotg- Avengers sucks. Guardians is solid but where are the big, exciting new games? you still havnt said.

I agree those games suck, I tried them both for about 1 hour and uninstalled them. My kids who loved the movies have zero interest in such games. The point was Gamepass turned two Marvel disappointing sales around by cutting a GP deal post launch, quite the opposite to "cannibalise sales" rhetoric going around GAF threads.

High on Life-not a good game despite some liking it. It's average in every aspect.

High on Life is exactly the sort of games GAF should want, whether they like it or not. Funny, well crafted, well funded, mature audience target etc. It is not an average game for the first half, second half gets a bit derivative.

MS Flight- great game to bolster the library but old and niche- why even list these games that came out in 2020?

It ain't niche and the world updates are thick and fast, as was last year's Maverick update. Again another first party title with over 20 Million players is not niche and has been running for decades.

Psychonauts 2- finally a great game but came out in 2021- this thread is about Microsoft currently

How is an 18 months old game out of the conversation exactly?

Vampire Survivors- great little indie. Finally something new (on console anyway)

Yep.

Age of Empires 4- nice exclusive for the PC crowd and it's new. Cool

Super well received by a massive and dedicated player base, again flies in the face of the usual rhetoric MS cannot manage studios or franchises. Just like Rare/SoT or Flight or Forza.

Halo Infinite- don't even get me started. It's a disaster of a Halo game and there's no more single player content coming. At best they'll focus on multi-player and make something good out of it at worst it'll remain a stain on MS. Also, came out in 2021.

You clearly haven't read any of my posts from HaloGAF. Infinite sucks, 343 should have been gutted after Halo 5.

Dude that list you made is not as good as you think it is. They need games like Starfield, Forza, and Hellblade 2 to release before most non biased Xbox players can, with a straight face, feel good about MS's catalogue.

Agreed, yes they do. Good thing they have those games coming and more e.g. DOOM, Wolfenstein, Elder Scrolls, Redfall, Fable, Minecraft Legends, Everwild, Indiana Jones

Condense that list down to-vampire Survivors, high on life, pentiment, Hi Fi Rush and Hot wheels expansion and you have an actually relevant to the discussion list of current MS games.

Nah, I'm good.

That's not impressive and doesn't make anyone critical of it a bot. That list sucks.

The bot comment is more about the usual statements about Xbox no games, Xbox games delayed/vapourware, get out of hardware, Gamepass on Sony, Xbox is doomed etc. Gamepass is already multiplatorm, 3 ways - Xbox consoles, PC and streaming. I cannot say the same for Nintendo or Sony's not even half arsed PC attempts.

My point for those lists and others is Xbox games are releasing, not all of the AAA bangers on song as yet but they're on the way.

Despite the impatience and tone of GAF around Xbox they're doing bloody good work and the momentum they've been building has me on the hype train for this year and next.

Last edited:
That's just it. I'm super happy with Xbox/Gamepass and games like Tunic, Hi Fi Rush, Ori series, Sea of Thieves, Flight, Psychonauts series, Forza Horizon 5 (don't care for Motorsport, not a car nut), Grounded (for my kids), Killer Instinct (played a bit with buddies in the "party tournament mode" and still play it with my daughter to this day, she loves it), Rare Replay, Sunset Overdrive (if you gave it a chance the gameplay with pretty shit hot), Signalis, Vamp Survivors, Halo MCC, Minecraft, Age of Empires 4 (on my PC).

Not to create a basic game list above but none of those games are really GOTY material and I don't really care. They're amazing games I've enjoyed solo or with decades old gaming friends or my kids/wife as well. When the GOTY games come it's like a final piece of the puzzle for Xbox, not an easy nut to crack or sustain long term either. Nintendo and Sony deserve the praise and sales for their respective tentpole titles.

Indeed Xbox has a ways to go for GOTY AAA type games, there's a run of them heading in this year and next.q

I appreciate where people are coming from that are happy with their Xbox and Gamepass. It's a great value and there are a lot of games on there that I can totally see people being happy.

I just think GamePass blinds people to MS weak library of current gen games esp when compared to the competition. Some of those games you listed are great, underrated gems like Killer Instinct and Sunset Overdrive. That leads me to another fault of MS's current leadership- they shut down their BC program too early after promising 4k and/or 60 fps in a lot of old games and now those games like Sunset overdrive, ryse, or dead rising 3 look and feel like shit next to other games on a 4k TV. Sunset and ryse should look gorgeous but instead they're only 720p at 30 fps! Then there's all these fairly modern and still gorgeous Xbox one games that got FPS boost but at the expense of having good resolutions and graphics settings- they downgraded the likes of Gears 4, far cry 5 and many others that are stuck with Xbox one S settings and 1080p if you want 60 fps ..I never would've thought that MS would do worse than Sony with BC but with their Xbox One exclusives they have. At least Sony made sure most of their best ps4 games are now 4k/60 (still missing bloodborne).

Games wise i do think 2023 will finally be a great year from them with Redfall, starfield and forza but man, they really couldve used one of those in 2022 and I wouldve liked to have seen Hellblade 2 slated for 2023. Their release schedule has been full of delays and dev hell. Their handling of their best IP, Halo, has been terrible. Their Back compat program could've really saved them in '22, at least in this gamers eyes, had they not shut it down and continued to improve it while updating games like Sunset overdrive for 4k/60. I see their leadership being very weak only focusing on and succeeding in "services".

They also continue to become more and more "woke". You ever try to earn rewards points? It's full of woke nonsense on that app with Microsoft Bing. Being woke is more of an annoyance than anything else and I wouldn't care if they were pumping out games like Sony. I wouldn't care a much about the BC stuff either, though I'd still be critical.

oldergamer

I appreciate where people are coming from that are happy with their Xbox and Gamepass. It's a great value and there are a lot of games on there that I can totally see people being happy.

I just think GamePass blinds people to MS weak library of current gen games esp when compared to the competition. Some of those games you listed are great, underrated gems like Killer Instinct and Sunset Overdrive. That leads me to another fault of MS's current leadership- they shut down their BC program too early after promising 4k and/or 60 fps in a lot of old games and now those games like Sunset overdrive, ryse, or dead rising 3 look and feel like shit next to other games on a 4k TV. Sunset and ryse should look gorgeous but instead they're only 720p at 30 fps! Then there's all these fairly modern and still gorgeous Xbox one games that got FPS boost but at the expense of having good resolutions and graphics settings- they downgraded the likes of Gears 4, far cry 5 and many others that are stuck with Xbox one S settings and 1080p if you want 60 fps ..I never would've thought that MS would do worse than Sony with BC but with their Xbox One exclusives they have. At least Sony made sure most of their best ps4 games are now 4k/60 (still missing bloodborne).

Games wise i do think 2023 will finally be a great year from them with Redfall, starfield and forza but man, they really couldve used one of those in 2022 and I wouldve liked to have seen Hellblade 2 slated for 2023. Their release schedule has been full of delays and dev hell. Their handling of their best IP, Halo, has been terrible. Their Back compat program could've really saved them in '22, at least in this gamers eyes, had they not shut it down and continued to improve it while updating games like Sunset overdrive for 4k/60. I see their leadership being very weak only focusing on and succeeding in "services".

They also continue to become more and more "woke". You ever try to earn rewards points? It's full of woke nonsense on that app with Microsoft Bing. Being woke is more of an annoyance than anything else and I wouldn't care if they were pumping out games like Sony. I wouldn't care a much about the BC stuff either, though I'd still be critical.
Do us a favor and stop using the word "woke" I'm getting pretty sick of hearing it.

Glad we're not jumping down each other's throats, good change of pace and I appreciate your detailed replies.

As an Xbox fan (and PC/Ninty), I totally agree it's a sore point with regards to delays or missing the mark on some key titles.

The BC thing I think is more a case of willingness from developers and tech issues involved so the program hit its upper limit of meaningful output vs resources sink. Xbox put a massive and years long effort into BC, what I would class as best in the industry to date e.g. unified console OS/windows for devs, free upgrades to titles such as fps or res etc and they went hands on with heaps of titles to bring them on board or fix niggling issues. As a software/tech person I don't think they could ever get to 100%. When you consider emulation from Series S/X on top of the BC program Xbox is a beacon of light in this industry for generation title support. I think they've also held a real candle and thrown the gauntlet to force Sony to action BC somewhat too.

Damn right Xbox could have used some of those titles in 22, as much as I dislike it, I'd rather a great game come out delayed than a rushed and never finished product. Hello Infinite you 6-7 years of wasted Halo. Fuck you 343.

Yeah, I can do without the woke marketing and agenda, from all industries and corporates. Equality (not flipping the scales for minorities) and the workplace/hiring out of MS and Xbox really are bloody solid though, one of the best in the gaming industry.

Last edited:
I was talking about what you said, not the fact that you replied to me. You never tried to dispute anything I said and that makes me believe you know what I said is true.

Hi-Fi Rush isn't moving consoles and they have more than Spider-Man releasing this year. Your post was nothing more than fanboy nonsense because you didn't like what I had to say.
I already told you by putting more games on game pass you increase subscription and xbox sales.

Invest in new IP across all their existing first-party studios outside of those under the Bethesda umbrella.

Bet big on big ideas and not subtle variations on existing trending games.

Stop trying to buy their way into a successful first-party studio portfolio. Buying up existing multiplatform games that would have launched Xbox anyway does nothing to enhance the Xbox brand. It only deprives those not playing on Xbox of the opportunity to play those games.

Take those billions you would have spent on acquisitions and put them to work building first-party studios and expanding the most productive existing ones into multiple project teams.

Stop treating games like commodities and start seeing them as art/entertainment, thus value quality, novelty, originality, and games that have something meaningful to say (either through narrative or gameplay).

Get rid of Aaron Greenberg, Spencer, Matt Booty and put the Bethesda publishing guys over Microsoft Game Studios to let them run the entire first-party publishing business (that's if you haven't already shitcanned them in the recent layoffs).

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I already told you by putting more games on game pass you increase subscription and xbox sales.
We're not talking about a handful of people buying a console for Hi-Fi Rush, we're talking about actual system sellers that are going to make a lot of people buy a console.. Hi-Fi Rush will not be that type of game.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you know what "niche" means. Pentiment is incredibly niche. Flight Sim is also niche even with those trumped up numbers you listed. The gaming masses are not playing much Flight Sim I guarantee you.

That list absolutely can and should be condensed. You even admit how shit Halo is. Avengers/gotg being removed from ganepass is 'list worthy'? You saying games released in '21 should somehow be counted for '22 is silly. Yes they're important releases but try telling 2022 how important those games are lol. Sea of Thieves came out in 2017 and is only for people that have a group to play with online. It's not fun trying to play it any other way.

I'll even give you High On Life and say that it is a good game for a certain audience. Tunic and vampire saviors- great games. Pentiment- good game for a very small audience. Hi Fi Rush- a great game and the only unequivocally great AAA 2022 release.

I have a feeling you are wrapped up in an Xbox bubble s little and that's why to you a game like High On Life is "great". Same thing with Forza, not that Forza isn't generally great but Forza Horizon 4/5 were some of the best xbox games and they're considered unimpeachable amongst hard core Xbox fans, however, not everyone thinks Forza Horizon 5 was even the best in the series in fact a lot of people put it behind 2, 3, and 4 and do think it's stagnating. It really isn't evolving if you could be objective. It's only evolving graphically. For christ sakes they even already made a Hot Wheels expansion in a previous Forza Horizon! The awful dialog and story has indeed gotten worse from 3>4>5 and the handling needs improvement at least on controller. Not that it's bad it's not but it's very very floaty when you're driving an S class vehicle. I am a big fan of Forza Horizon but it's not this perfect racing game. It's better than the competition I'll give it that, though gt 7 improved the handling model a lot more recently than Forza has. Progression in fh5 is also whacky

Last edited:
I don't think you know what "niche" means. Pentiment is incredibly niche. Flight Sim is also niche even with those trumped up numbers you listed. The gaming masses are not playing much Flight Sim I guarantee you.

That list absolutely can and should be condensed. You even admit how shit Halo is. Avengers/gotg being removed from ganepass is 'list worthy'? You saying games released in '21 should somehow be counted for '22 is silly. Yes they're important releases but try telling 2022 how important those games are lol. Sea of Thieves came out in 2017 and is only for people that have a group to play with online. It's not fun trying to play it any other way.

I'll even give you High On Life and say that it is a good game for a certain audience. Tunic and vampire saviors- great games. Pentiment- good game for a very small audience. Hi Fi Rush- a great game and the only unequivocally great AAA 2022 release.

I have a feeling you are wrapped up in an Xbox bubble s little and that's why to you a game like High On Life is "great". Same thing with Forza, not that Forza isn't generally great but Forza Horizon 4/5 were some of the best xbox games and they're considered unimpeachable amongst hard core Xbox fans, however, not everyone thinks Forza Horizon 5 was even the best in the series in fact a lot of people put it behind 2, 3, and 4 and do think it's stagnating. It really isn't evolving if you could be objective. It's only evolving graphically. For christ sakes they even already made a Hot Wheels expansion in a previous Forza Horizon! The awful dialog and story has indeed gotten worse from 3>4>5 and the handling needs improvement at least on controller. Not that it's bad it's not but it's very very floaty when you're driving an S class vehicle. I am a big fan of Forza Horizon but it's not this perfect racing game. It's better than the competition I'll give it that, though gt 7 improved the handling model a lot more recently than Forza has. Progression in fh5 is also whacky

Pentiment I'll concede as niche, user scores generally a level or two lower than critics.

Flight ain't niche. To this day Flight (6K) has more daily average players on Steam than God of War (3K) does. The franchise has sold more copies, hardware accessories (the latest release sold US$2.5Billion of controller/flight accessories in recent years) and DLC/MTX than some AA-AAA games.
GoW Steam charts (peak 73K) | Flight Steam charts (peak 61K). Granted GoW is larger on Sony consoles than PC but Flight isn't a bottom of the barrel niche product, it's a juggernaut in its own right away from that core game experience.

Here's some details about Flight and its audience. Imma quote just the image from my post linked here, Flight is not niche or casual, it's fucking hardcore -

MRIQMSN.png

You cannot compare GT7 to FH series. Forza Motorsport due out soon is the more apt comparison. Think of it this way. Forza is huge right? SoT and Flight are the similar sizes as Forza, in peak, in MTX, in player counts etc. They're doomed for repeat franchise releases but I think those studios and the management around them has, for the most part, being bloody excellent. It's a stark contrast to say 343 and Halo.

Fingers crossed games like Starfield, Redfall (probably not for me from what I've seen), Perfect Dark, Fable, Everwild, Indiana Jones and others don't go the way of Halo. That would have pretty ill effects for Xbox, not the end of them but the opportunity loss would be great. I think that's the main point you and many other "anti Xbox/MS" are really posting about - "for years Xbox has not reached its potential sales, audiences and IP fruits". The potential for Xbox is huge, in this regard I totally agree they've wasted lots of years.

Also -
tenor.gif

Max Hoberman of Halo CE, Halo 2/Xbox Live, Halo 3 fame has been tinkering away with a Battle Royale-esque Halo game/mode called Tatanka. It's due for release this year from memory. I have a hunch Max and his team at Certain Affinity have been well outside of Bonnie and 343 influence to deliver a "potentially" stellar Halo title in 2023. Fingers crossed as well as legs, balls and anything else I can twist.

Last edited:
We're not talking about a handful of people buying a console for Hi-Fi Rush, we're talking about actual system sellers that are going to make a lot of people buy a console.. Hi-Fi Rush will not be that type of game.
Game pass is a system seller son and Hi Fi Rush does help with that.

Last edited:

Celcius

Ā°Temp. member
I haven't cared about xbox since the 360.
They don't have any exclusives that I care about anymore and whenever they do make a game, they put it on PC too so there's no reason to buy an xbox.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The real question isnā€™t if Hi Fi Rush is good, or even if it is selling GP subs, it is if there is a marginal benefit to designing, manufacturing, and selling this console and putting Hi Fi Rush on it that is over what they would get by putting Hi Fi Rush on PC only, or PC + PS.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Game pass is a system seller son and Hi Fi Rush does help with that.
It's not working, dude. A small number of people are going to sign up for Game Pass to play Hi-Fi Rush. The core audience who plays it on Game Pass is likely existing subscribers who already have an Xbox.

An actual system seller is a game that's going to make a lot of people go out and buy an Xbox and sign up for Game Pass.

Starfield will do that, but Hi-Fi Rush is not.

The real question isnā€™t if Hi Fi Rush is good, or even if it is selling GP subs, it is if there is a marginal benefit to designing, manufacturing, and selling this console and putting Hi Fi Rush on it that is over what they would get by putting Hi Fi Rush on PC only, or PC + PS.
The only reason game consoles exist is to extract 30% rent from third parties.

However, the less consoles you sell, the less rent you collect. To say "console sales doesn't matter" is to say that the rent doesn't matter. And without the rent, your sentence becomes important. There is a critical number of Xbox consoles that need to exist in the wild that would collect enough rent, as to justify designing and selling it's next gen replacement. Nintendo nearly didn't make it after wiiU and Playstation nearly didn't make it after PS3. The question is does XboxSeries makes sense for Microsoft to give it a successor?

It's not working, dude. A small number of people are going to sign up for Game Pass to play Hi-Fi Rush. The core audience who plays it on Game Pass is likely existing subscribers who already have an Xbox.

An actual system seller is a game that's going to make a lot of people go out and buy an Xbox and sign up for Game Pass.

Starfield will do that, but Hi-Fi Rush is not.
Nope, more new games you add to it the more subscribers you will get. Just look at how high on life was topping the charts on game pass.

However, the less consoles you sell, the less rent you collect. To say "console sales doesn't matter" is to say that the rent doesn't matter. And without the rent, your sentence becomes important. There is a critical number of Xbox consoles that need to exist in the wild that would collect enough rent, as to justify designing and selling it's next gen replacement. Nintendo nearly didn't make it after wiiU and Playstation nearly didn't make it after PS3. The question is does XboxSeries makes sense for Microsoft to give it a successor?
lol. MS xbox series consoles will outsell Xbox one when it is all said and done. The profit from xbox one was enough to make the new xbox series consoles. Also, the PS3 did sell well too. The problem with the PS3 was its too expensive to make the console. Sony had to cut the price and lose a lot of money to keep it affordable.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nope, more new games you add to it the more subscribers you will get. Just look at how high on life was topping the charts on game pass.
Hi-Fi Rush isn't High on Life.

You're trying to make Hi-Fi Rush as a system seller and it's not working. If this game had a huge impact, then it would be high on the most Xbox games played list.

Hi-Fi Rush isn't High on Life.

You're trying to make Hi-Fi Rush as a system seller and it's not working. If this game had a huge impact, then it would be high on the most Xbox games played list.
It is in the top 20 and probably even higher at one point. Please see source below. Also, if you know anything about subscription models is that you need constant games and not all of them need to do COD levels. All these games add up and eventually will earn you subscription. Just look at Netflix.

Source: https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-xbox-games-series-s-x-global

lol. MS xbox series consoles will outsell Xbox one when it is all said and done. The profit from xbox one was enough to make the new xbox series consoles. Also, the PS3 did sell well too. The problem with the PS3 was its too expensive to make the console. Sony had to cut the price and lose a lot of money to keep it affordable.
PS3 used up the entire PS2 warchest. Sony wasn't going to repeat with PS4 if that doesn't pay for itself. If Xbox series is going to sell half of XboxOne then there would be a trajectory for next gen to worry about.

The numbers will prove it.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It is in the top 20 and probably even higher at one point. Please see source below. Also, if you know anything about subscription models is that you need constant games and not all of them need to do COD levels. All these games add up and eventually will earn you subscription. Just look at Netflix.

Why don't you post the actual official link for Xbox rankings instead of that site? I'm looking at both charts and I don't see Hi-Fi Rush anywhere? Where is it?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Xbox consoles isn't as crucial for Microsoft as it is for Sony.

While Sony is playstation first, pc second by far, Microsoft sees xbox and pc as the same platform.

You often get a PC and Xbox version of the same game when you buy from the Xbox store,which is linked together with the pc version.

Xbox has become more or less a budget friendly pc.

Gamers hated Microsoft for ignoring the pc gaming space during the vista period for not releasing titles as halo, which was only console exclusive, to now hate on Microsoft for releasing their games on pc as well.

PS3 used up the entire PS2 warchest. Sony wasn't going to repeat with PS4 if that doesn't pay for itself. If Xbox series is going to sell half of XboxOne then there would be a trajectory for next gen to worry about.

The numbers will prove it.
Half of xbox one? It has only been 2 years and xbox series console almost sold half of what xbox one sold according to vgchartz.

Why don't you post the actual official link for Xbox rankings instead of that site? I'm looking at both charts and I don't see Hi-Fi Rush anywhere? Where is it?

[/URL][/URL]

Hi Fi rush was in the top 20 as well last week on that site, but it is a one and done game that most already played and finished. Now, we have more games coming to game pass that is taking people's time. And there are games like Halo and Sea of thieves that are multiplayer centric games with new updates.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

If you know anything about subscription services, then you would know.

- Multiplayer is what mainly keeps people subscribed to the service.
- Big releases are what make a lot of people subscribe to the service.
- Smaller titles don't have a big impact.

It made the top 20 because it was shadow dropped and many people wanted to try it.
Hi-Fi Rush is no longer in the top 50 on Most Xbox Games played after only a few weeks.

The game is not a seller system seller. Period. It will keep some subscribers on the service at best.

Popular TV series and movies are what keeps people on subscriptions like Netflix. Small indie movies aren't going to have a major impact.

There's nothing else to be said. It's a fact that Xbox lacked big titles over the past 5 years and that's one of the main reasons why they're struggling. Trying to convince me Hi-Fi Rush is having a major impact is laughable.

If you know anything about subscription services, then you would know.

- Multiplayer is what mainly keeps people subscribed to the service.
- Big releases are what make a lot of people subscribe to the service.
- Smaller titles don't have a big impact.

It made the top 20 because it was shadow dropped and many people wanted to try it.
Hi-Fi Rush is no longer in the top 50 on Most Xbox Games played after only a few weeks.

The game is not a seller system seller. Period. It will keep some subscribers on the service at best.

Popular TV series and movies are what keeps people on subscriptions like Netflix. Small indie movies aren't going to have a major impact.

There's nothing else to be said. It's a fact that Xbox lacked big titles over the past 5 years and that's one of the main reasons why they're struggling. Trying to convince me Hi-Fi Rush is having a major impact is laughable.

Okay, most xbox games are multiplayer centric. Halo, Sea of thieves, Gears of war, Forza Horizon, Red Fall, and Forza Motorsport. Not to mention there is more to come soon. Only decent multiplayer game Sony puts out is GT7.

Big releases help, but content in general is equally if not more important. No one will keep subscribing to Netflix if all it has is Wednesday, Stranger things, and Squid games.

It was top 10 at one point and those shadow drops help lure people to game pass. Content sells xbox game pass which in turn sells the xbox series consoles.

Sony succeeded without strong first party popular games. In 2021, all sony had was Ratchet and Returnal. I don't even think Returnal sold a million yet.

PS4 was successful for the first three years without a major AAA exclusive until Uncharted 4 came out. Bloodborne did okay, but nothing great.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Okay, most xbox games are multiplayer centric. Halo, Sea of thieves, Gears of war, Forza Horizon, Red Fall, and Forza Motorsport. Not to mention there is more to come soon. Only decent multiplayer game Sony puts out is GT7.

Big releases help, but content in general is equally if not more important. No one will keep subscribing to Netflix if all it has is Wednesday, Stranger things, and Squid games.

It was top 10 at one point and those shadow drops help lure people to game pass. Content sells xbox game pass which in turn sells the xbox series consoles.

Sony succeeded without strong first party popular games. In 2021, all sony had was Ratchet and Returnal. I don't even think Returnal sold a million yet.

PS4 was successful for the first three years without a major AAA exclusive until Uncharted 4 came out. Bloodborne did okay, but nothing great.

If it was luring a lot of people then it would still be in the top 20, but it's not.

PlayStation 4

Major AAA titles for PlayStation 4 within the first 2 years were Killzone: Shadowfall, Infamous: Second Son, The Order 1886, MLB The Show 14, MLB The Show 15, DriveClub, Last of Us Remastered, and Bloodborne.

The Order didn't sell well and it received bad reviews
Killzone sold well, but it received bad reviews.
Infamous Second Son sold well.
Last of Us Remaster, which was a port of the PS3 version that released a prior.

XBOX Series X|S

With Xbox, you have Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, a release of Flight Simulator, a remaster version of Age of Empires 3

PlayStation 5

The console launched With Spider-Man Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. This is also the game year Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us Part II launched.

In 2021 (which you are referring to) they released Returnal and Ratchet and Clank. You can't ignore the fact that they released Demon Soul's and Miles Morales at the end of 2021. That's a lot of major titles within the first year.

It's not hard to admit that the games for Xbox Series hasn't been that good thus far and that's one of the main reasons why they're struggling.

Microsoft is playing the ling game. They can afford to.
They are using the "Build it and they will come" motto.
They have spent years and hundreds of millions investing in cloud streaming, subscription models, PC and console integration and have bought a number of quality studios and IP.
ABK is get done in some way. Wether that's just King and Blizzard, or the whole lot. The Activision part is the least desirable of the three for MS. King is their number 1 interest and Blizzard is their number 2.

Narratives change quick in gaming.
So far this year MS has released HiFi Rush and have more exclusives in Starfield, Forza, Redfall, Stalker and most likely a number of others. On top of that we will get announcements for what a number of first party studios are working on.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Gamers hated Microsoft for ignoring the pc gaming space during the vista period for not releasing titles as halo, which was only console exclusive, to now hate on Microsoft for releasing their games on pc as well.
There is a large number of people who live to hate Xbox and want them gone. It's irrational and sad considering how much Xbox has revolutionized the console space.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
There is a large number of people who live to hate Xbox and want them gone. It's irrational and sad considering how much Xbox has revolutionized the console space.
Microsoft being the third, they have more in common with Sony than Nintendo and Sony.

Microsoft being gone would give Sony monopoly, probably pushing prices even further than they already have.

Sony not having any competition would hurt the fanboys in the long run as well as anyone else.
The fanboys I'm referring to here is those who wants Microsoft out of console business.

Microsoft being the third, they have more in common with Sony than Nintendo and Sony.

Microsoft being gone would give Sony monopoly, probably pushing prices even further than they already have.

Sony not having any competition would hurt the fanboys in the long run as well as anyone else.
The fanboys I'm referring to here is those who wants Microsoft out of console business.
works both ways. the issue is that one refuse (by omission/incompetence/negligence) to compete for many years.

but half yes

Microsoft is playing the ling game. They can afford to.
They are using the "Build it and they will come" motto.
They have spent years and hundreds of millions investing in cloud streaming, subscription models, PC and console integration and have bought a number of quality studios and IP.
ABK is get done in some way. Wether that's just King and Blizzard, or the whole lot. The Activision part is the least desirable of the three for MS. King is their number 1 interest and Blizzard is their number 2.

Narratives change quick in gaming.
So far this year MS has released HiFi Rush and have more exclusives in Starfield, Forza, Redfall, Stalker and most likely a number of others. On top of that we will get announcements for what a number of first party studios are working on.
sometimes i almost feel bad for people trying to come up with Xbox arguments.

Kerotan

Two options.

1: Continue their billion Dollar PR campaign and plaster positive Phil Spencer interviews all over gaming media.

2. Start releasing your games on PlayStation and Nintendo to help regain relevance.

My money is on option 1.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Well, the other issue here is that MS is actively sabotaging that rent with their Game Pass. I still don't know how the GP math is supposed to add up, and I doubt MS does either. Judging by the video streaming situation right now it doesn't seem like spending tens/hundreds of millions of dollars for content you give away for $15 a month is a very good business to be in.

Sony would not be a monopoly considering Nintendo has been outselling them for years, and the PC is a viable gaming option where MS is doing extremely well. Where is this long game supposed to end up? Remember MS first got in this business over twenty years ago because of a supposed "battle for the living room".

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox consoles isn't as crucial for Microsoft as it is for Sony.

While Sony is playstation first, pc second by far, Microsoft sees xbox and pc as the same platform.

You often get a PC and Xbox version of the same game when you buy from the Xbox store,which is linked together with the pc version.

Xbox has become more or less a budget friendly pc.

Xbox is still crucial even if Microsoft has embraced PC more fully than Sony. Microsoft has two different versions of games on PC: Windows store and Steam. That doesn't make Xbox a "budget friendly PC" at all. PC isn't tied to one company. Xbox is.

Top Bottom