• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where does Microsoft go from here?

Where does Microsoft go from here?

• Stay the course

Votes: 177 57.8%
  • Change Gamepass (no more Day 1 drops)

Votes: 73 23.9%
  • Abort - Gamepass on other platforms, stop worrying about console sales

Votes: 56 18.3%

• Total voters

Ecotic

I think the Activision acquisition was a major attempt by Microsoft to get gaming to finally work for them, but if it doesn't go through I imagine they'll be content to just be an also-ran with Xbox, as long as they're not losing large amounts of money or otherwise hurting the company or brand.

This just isn't an industry that Microsoft needs or perhaps even wants to be in any longer. The core of their business is in PC software and services, cloud storage, and new markets like their A.I. war with Google. The video game industry is stagnant, or at least it is in gaming consoles in North America and Europe which is Microsoft's corner of the business. The whole reason they entered this industry was a defensive move to prevent Sony from having a trojan horse PC in the living room that would supplant Windows - a fear which never materialized and isn't going to. And Microsoft just isn't a company whose core DNA involves managing creative studios in the way that comes naturally to companies like Sony, Nintendo, or Disney.

So maybe Xbox stagnates and doesn't go anywhere, and it may be the case that Satya Nadella and the board of directors don't overly care.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It's annoying being in the period before Xbox starts releasing great games, but after we know they're going to. Because everybody just sits here and pretends like these great devs are going to suddenly forget how to make good video games once they no longer release on Playstation
Not to be that guy, but a game needs to be played to be appreciated. Not putting a game in the biggest ecosystem at the moment (playstation) do reduce its impact. A game is still a subjective experience and I do agree that sometimes console warring is in bad faith. The thing is some of Xbox games have been plagued by delays and quality issues.

A platform holder should be held to highter standards than third parties and been less broken than Cyberpunk 2077 will not be enough. I am talking about Starfield of course. But the truth is that if the game was only on Playstation it would be seen as another win. But is it not. And will be compared not just to Skyrim but to Sony's best. Hope the game is good anyway. And that the Fable, avowed... are as good as possible too when they came out.

Supple

Banned
Proof? This is a nonsense claim.

Xbox needs a big game. Starfield is that. The amount of people here pretending a new Bethesda RPG from Howard won't be absolutely gigantic is a being ridiculous. Skyrim and Fallout are some of the most popular franchises of all time, and this will soon be their 3rd,

Last edited:

You'll have to balance that equation out, posting half the story as some gotchya doesn't cut it e.g. Gamepass sales/MTX after launch increase or Gamepass games being given greenlight or expanded due to deals etc. Just look at Avengers/GotG coming to GP or Grounded or Ori etc etc.

Minecraft, Forza Horizon 5 and Sea of Thieves are quite happy where they are with Gamepass and sales or MTX/passes side by side etc.

How about Minecraft Chinese edition that is free to play and has over 400Million downloads? I don't see you taking that task or giving any metrics.

Minecraft was outside MS, bought, sold standalone and entered Gamepass/Ultimate while being cross/multi platform with/out GP. I don't see it really getting "cannibalised".

Minecraft annual revenue 2012 to 2021 ($mm)
Year Revenue ($mm)
2012 $211
2013 $326
2014 $165
2015 $350
2016 $420
2017 $370
2018 $500
2019 $375
2020 $415
2021 $380

Source

Last edited:
Never understood why these companies don't go with the Nintendo philosophy of concentrating on home made 1st party games with 3rd party games being supplementary. Yes, it takes years to build up these brands/IPs, but it pays off in the long run.

Get that generic link crap out of here. Poor form rebuttal mate. I'd prefer you give me your claim/insight backed by data and source links. If you don't have it, you don't have it. The onus of proof is on you. I backed my claims.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Never understood why these companies don't go with the Nintendo philosophy of concentrating on home made 1st party games with 3rd party games being supplementary. Yes, it takes years to build up these brands/IPs, but it pays off in the long run.

I definitely think Sony has been trying their best to do that for years, and MS is obviously prioritizing first-party games now as well (based on the studios they've already acquired). Nintendo has a unique fan base, I think it would be hard for anyone else to match the frequency that they can successfully recycle IPs.

FUBARx89

I've said it before and I'll say it again, sack Phil Spencer.

He's lead all the acquisitions since what 2018 and there's been very little to show for it. He's great at PR, but he's basically a used car salesman. He says what he thinks people wants to hear but never delivers.

The need someone in like Shawn Layden who can actually right the ship, without empty words.

Then start doubling down on their dev studios, as the output is absolutely shocking. I'm amazed they took as long as they did to ask 343i what the fuck they've been doing and change it up.

Now they need to do it to their other dev teams.

And before anyone says it, yeah, gamepass is all well and good, but the rest of the xbox division is an absolute shit show and the blame squarely rests on his shoulders.

Last edited:
How many times is the same shit going to be rehashed? (no, I'm not talking about Forza, Gears, Halo :messenger_beaming:)

The endless negativity and spin is becoming unbearable. Covid disrupted schedules. Get over it. Half of Sony's 2022 releases were delayed 2021 releases (leaving them with nothing Holiday 21) when Microsoft had a burst of releases. Microsoft's 2022 releases were delayed into 2023. They look like they have some big hitters coming up, while Sony's cupboard looks a little bare. It goes in cycles. There's too much to play anyway, what's the rush?

Can't we just have one official 'concern' thread for each of the platforms - easier for everyone else to avoid all of this then! You people are ruining something that should be fun :messenger_tears_of_joy: (yes, I know I can just ignore it, but it's everywhere)

Fredrik

This is likely the plan and why they want to acquire other studios. With enough 1st party games on Gamepass day 1 and supplemental 3rd party games there as well the service will just keep on growing.

This is likely the plan and why they want to acquire other studios. With enough 1st party games on Gamepass day 1 and supplemental 3rd party games there as well the service will just keep on growing.
They've been trying, solid success with Forza, Flight, SoT and a smattering of other titles. Halo and those massive RPG/FPS/adventure are just off is all. They'll strike gold soon enough.

StueyDuck

As a thread adjacent comment.

Anyone who thinks gamepass will remain this price is kidding themselves much like all subscriptions services, gamepass will shoot up in price drastically in years to come. Right now it's about consolidation and having market control.

Then it's about putting up prices and you are essentially stuck in a Netflix situation. And looking at the quality of Netflix in the past 4-5 years... ummm Yeah I am not looking forward to that game industry

Ozriel

M$FT
As a thread adjacent comment.

Anyone who thinks gamepass will remain this price is kidding themselves much like all subscriptions services, gamepass will shoot up in price drastically in years to come. Right now it's about consolidation and having market control.

Then it's about putting up prices and you are essentially stuck in a Netflix situation. And looking at the quality of Netflix in the past 4-5 years... ummm Yeah I am not looking forward to that game industry

it does seem counter intuitive that you’re forecasting a drop in GP quality despite also forecasting a significant increase in content.

Looking at the direction of travel, you really think ‘market control’ is a likely outcome?

StueyDuck

it does seem counter intuitive that you’re forecasting a drop in GP quality despite also forecasting a significant increase in content.

Looking at the direction of travel, you really think ‘market control’ is a likely outcome?
It's not counter anything. They want to own most if not all of gaming to create market control. Then it doesn't matter what they do. As long as there's quantity they'll keep people paying.

Have you never had a subscription before. This what has happened in almost all other subscription services.

Eventually gaming is going to be MS streaming/ Amazon streaming/ apple streaming

And if anything is to go by looking at other examples the apple game streaming will probably have the best quality but gamepass will be Netflix where any old shit will be greenlit. 99% will be fast food junk and they'll put their efforts into the 1% ie their "stranger things"

This isn't a new and unique model being used. Just because it's a game instead of a movie/show/book/song doesn't mean we are in uncharted territory.

literally nothing in there says they are hemorrhaging money. Nothing even suggests it. In fact, they've said multiple times GP is profitable.

I mean, that's exactly what they do.

Also, the only really big game Nintendo released in the last 3 years was Animal Crossing. Nintendo is in a different situation where it has incredible mascots that people love. You can't force that, it's organic. Nothing MS or Sony has will ever naturally be as beloved as Mario and his cohorts. People also overestimate how Nintendo products sell. Most Zelda's never cracked 6 million, and only BotW cracked 10m (currently 30m), and honestly, the switch is an anomaly that might never again be replicated as far as first party sales go. We know the pandemic was a massive boost for them. Metroid is another one. People also ask why Metroid is done so dirty by Nintendo, but it's because it doesn't sell. No Metroid has broke 3m, and Dread is their highest seller, which is still low compared to almost any companies first party titles.

In general, Sony's first party games are just as successful, as are MS's when they release them. But they idea that that should be the primary focus is a little out of touch. Sony and MS make great games, but they can't possibly make enough to keep everyone happy. 3rd party is a necessary component to success. And again, the Switch is an anomaly. Nintendo has never come close to this kind of success/dominance since the early 90's. The Wii sure wasn't, attach rates for that console were notoriously low.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Bow before the king

maxresdefault_(1).jpg

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
This is not a big strike for them. Also, since others are doing their thing kinda based on GamePass, there's a chance that they will do fine in a near future

vj27

Banned
After playing Hogwarts Legacy I can safely say that this is not correct.
It’ll definitely win the art category without question, or best graphics whatever the hell they call it. Idky people only think goty is the only award that games get lol. But in my opinion the game left a lasting impression on the industry I wouldn’t be surprised if it got nominated, winnings another thing but it’ll for sure be mentioned Hi Fi really is that good.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think MS really needs to consider whether they should be in the console hardware business. The fact is, GP is doing well on PC and they are selling lots of their games on PC. Many of their franchises are a better fit for PC like AOE and FS and even Bethesda. Also without a console I am sure Sony would be far more amendable to a GP with MS games on it, which would give them access to a far bigger audience.

I can’t imagine being a xbox fan boy thats so hyped when they don’t release any games, imagine when they fucking do.. oh boy the excitement.

twilo99

Here's a clue, I'm trying not to get political here -

The funny part to the FTC/Khan at the helm of these Big Tech cases/rulings/overturned decisions is - the last two Republican FTC commissioners have both quit (perhaps forced out, Noah Philips was second last to go and Caroline Wilson is the one from yesterday being the last to go). Noah and Philips were the vocal opposers to the Meta/Within deal that was overturned in court after the FTC self-ruling. There are many exposing Khan's immoral and undue process behind creating a self-ruling entity with the FTC, something those in the anti-trust industry are calling FCC-ification of the FTC. Khan even went as far as redacting these two FTC commissioners input on the Meta/Within review to not expose the dissent from within the FTC.

With Wilson leaving there is NO bipartisan process within the FTC anymore, it's 100% Democrat, another words IMO totally fucked when MS take them to court after a bullshit FTC self-ruling. What Khan is trying to do is create an echo-chamber without any resistance, perhaps this changes based on laws around how many from one party, as new commissioner hiring occurs. However, it's painted a very clear picture of the usual "woke" politics doing whatever it takes to get their will executed on everyone else, completely authoritarian shit. It's not what I consider due process at all. Fuck Khan.

Republican FTC commissioner will resign, slams Democratic chair

The sole remaining Republican on the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) said Tuesday she is resigning based on disagreements with how Democratic Chairwoman Lina Khan is leading the agency. Commissioner Christine Wilson announced her plans in an op-ed published in The Wall Street Journal.

IMO Khan is cleaning house so no one opposes her FTC rulings and sidestepping due process. Philips and Wilson claim exactly that with multiple Big Tech cases Khan/FTC have brought in recent times.

This former FTC commissioner gets it, good Twitter thread by him -

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that the FTC is so one sided now, but considering their actions, it all makes sense now.

This whole things is a political game and has absolutely nothing to do with harming or helping gamers.

I just said they were close because Sony was dealing with major supply issues while Xbox Series S was on the shelves for more than a year straight.

Things have changed a lot ever since Sony improved its shipments.

It didn't this past XMAS. Look at August and beyond. That's around the time the stock started to improve for Sony.

That's not true. lol

Developing games takes years of planning and you're basically saying they have been busy for more than 5 years now.

They thought Halo was going to be huge, but the game failed to meet their expectations. This is the game they tried to make it at launch for Xbox and they failed. They were originally planning to release Starfield and now it has been delayed.

I factored in their future, but you're saying Xbox has been a massive success for 2 years and that's simply not true.

If The Acti deal doesn't go through then it's only going to make it harder for Xbox.

Just over 2 years into the generation

is Hi Fi rushing moving consoles?
Sure it is, makes game pass more lucrative and thus more xbox game consoles are being sold. Just like Star field, red fall, forza, age of empires and more to come this year. While Sony only has 70 dollar one and done spiderman.

SteadyEvo

Where do they go from here? Same place they’ve been since they entered the console space. Do people think they’re gonna quit???

The whole basis for this thread, is that OP things Xbox "planned" having no games in 2022, and that Avowed and Fable now having dates means all the other anticipated games don't exist, but at the same time says that there "are" games released (what?) but they haven't delivered "momentum" and therefore, growth has stagnated. Thus putting the Xbox's entire fate on ONE acquisition ignoring the other 13.

This deductive reasoning by the OP is why it is very clear Xbox is within 2 week of bankruptcy and we should all panic right now.

If only Xbox was able to sell that 1% of china oh noooooo.

Just saying there’s nothing wrong with 3rd place 🥉, which is where they sit behind Nintendo and Sony. It’s hard to break into the console space and they’re done so successfully. They’ll be around and making consoles for a while I reckon.
well, remember success is relative. and we don't know what are MS's expectations.

They say Xbox hardware has never made any money.

They say PlayStation is not their actual competitor, instead are Amazon/Google.

They say Xbox business is untenable without mobile.

something is not adding up.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sure it is, makes game pass more lucrative and thus more xbox game consoles are being sold. Just like Star field, red fall, forza, age of empires and more to come this year. While Sony only has 70 dollar one and done spiderman.
Wow, you were really bothered by our posts lol

Ar¢tos

Proof? This is a nonsense claim.

Xbox needs a big game. Starfield is that. The amount of people here pretending a new Bethesda RPG from Howard won't be absolutely gigantic is a being ridiculous. Skyrim and Fallout are some of the most popular franchises of all time, and this will soon be their 3rd,
A lot of people don't care for sci-fi.
If it was a fantasy RPG I would be super excited for it, being space crap... meh...

A lot of people don't care for sci-fi.
If it was a fantasy RPG I would be super excited for it, being space crap... meh...
A lot more people don't care for fantasy (based on general movie sales/book sales/etc). Sci-fi is incredibly popular. You are not the majority. Just like I'm not the majority in detesting the setting of Fallout. I hate that 50's aesthetic, I hate everything about fallout. If this game is good, it will be absolutely massive.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You reply to me so I reply back. A simple concept that even someone like you should understand :)
I was talking about what you said, not the fact that you replied to me. You never tried to dispute anything I said and that makes me believe you know what I said is true.

Hi-Fi Rush isn't moving consoles and they have more than Spider-Man releasing this year. Your post was nothing more than fanboy nonsense because you didn't like what I had to say.

HiFi rush will not be setting the world on fire. Good as it may be. It was a great addition to their catalogue but it's no goty. They have a long way to go still.

That's just it. I'm super happy with Xbox/Gamepass and games like Tunic, Hi Fi Rush, Ori series, Sea of Thieves, Flight, Psychonauts series, Forza Horizon 5 (don't care for Motorsport, not a car nut), Grounded (for my kids), Killer Instinct (played a bit with buddies in the "party tournament mode" and still play it with my daughter to this day, she loves it), Rare Replay, Sunset Overdrive (if you gave it a chance the gameplay with pretty shit hot), Signalis, Vamp Survivors, Halo MCC, Minecraft, Age of Empires 4 (on my PC).

Not to create a basic game list above but none of those games are really GOTY material and I don't really care. They're amazing games I've enjoyed solo or with decades old gaming friends or my kids/wife as well. When the GOTY games come it's like a final piece of the puzzle for Xbox, not an easy nut to crack or sustain long term either. Nintendo and Sony deserve the praise and sales for their respective tentpole titles.

Indeed Xbox has a ways to go for GOTY AAA type games, there's a run of them heading in this year and next.

MS and Xbox will be fine and had massive success last year/2 years and some goodies already this year -
  • e.g. Forza Horizon 5/Hot Wheels
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Tunic
  • Cuphead DLC
  • Pentiment
  • Two Point Series
  • Grounded
  • Avengers/GotG on GP
  • Hi Fi Rush
  • High On Life
  • MS Flight
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Vampire Survivors
  • Age of Empires 4
  • Halo MCC updates and current state

This is one GENEROUS ass list! No, the "bots" are not out. Believe or not, a lot of real people are not happy with Microsoft. People who probably own an Xbox too.

Forza/hot wheels- forza is good and the second expansion will be a nice addition to the library but they need to step up their game in a few key areas. It's starting to feel like more of the same.
Sea of Thieves- old ass game. Cool if you're into that kinda niche online game.
Tunic-great little indie but it's multi-plat with a short window of exclusivity
Pentiment-as niche as niche can get. Doubt many gaffers will care or play it.
Avengers/gotg- Avengers sucks. Guardians is solid but where are the big, exciting new games? you still havnt said.
High on Life-not a good game despite some liking it. It's average in every aspect.
MS Flight- great game to bolster the library but old and niche- why even list these games that came out in 2020?
Psychonauts 2- finally a great game but came out in 2021- this thread is about Microsoft currently
Vampire Survivors- great little indie. Finally something new (on console anyway)
Age of Empires 4- nice exclusive for the PC crowd and it's new. Cool
Halo Infinite- don't even get me started. It's a disaster of a Halo game and there's no more single player content coming. At best they'll focus on multi-player and make something good out of it at worst it'll remain a stain on MS. Also, came out in 2021.

Dude that list you made is not as good as you think it is. They need games like Starfield, Forza, and Hellblade 2 to release before most non biased Xbox players can, with a straight face, feel good about MS's catalogue.

Condense that list down to-vampire Survivors, high on life, pentiment, Hi Fi Rush and Hot wheels expansion and you have an actually relevant to the discussion list of current MS games.

That's not impressive and doesn't make anyone critical of it a bot. That list sucks.

Top Bottom