• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we draw the line in "preserving" Nintendo Switch games?

MAtgS

It's funny how Nintendo goes to such lengths to combat piracy (E.G. mini dvds on GCN, proprietary format on Wii) but also sticks to underpowered hardware that makes it easier for same-gen emulation.

Shifty

xOkonOr.png

Shocked Nicki Minaj GIF by Vevo

Last edited:

Tams

Nintendo still makes great games, they haven't made great hardware in over a decade.
1. It's not about the hardware being 'great' and never was.
2. The hardware is to fit with how they want their games to play.

You've clearly shown that you don't get their business model. And frankly, we don't need another Playstation or Xbox.

Tams

Some of you are a fucking joke

"WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES?!?!"

Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony would all literally sacrifice the lives of everyone who has posted in this thread if it would raise stock price by one dollar/share and knew they could get away with it with no bad press

They're not your friends, and the only way they're going to fuck you is by funneling money out of your pockets
Never said they were friends with us.

But games aren't free to make. And businesses primarily exist to make money. You, nor I, nor most of us would have a job if they didn't. And it doesn't excuse theft.

Just pay for your damn games. It's not hard. If you buy a copy and then play a ROM or whatever elsewhere, sure, whatever. You paid for it.

Now, should penalties for software piracy be more lenient? Probably. Ruining someone's life for it unless they are enabling it is stupid.

Last edited:

ViolentP

If I buy a Switch game and immediately download a copy to play it on better hardware, is there still an issue?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
And you're delusional.
I really want to act in a way that’s ethical and supports developers who are putting out new content, because otherwise how would we get it? I have the means now and zero excuses, I can say I haven’t pirated anything since I got a steady job straight out of college. But the zealotry you’re showing here is like…dude…

Krathoon

I guess the Switch is super easy to mod. It is kind of too soon for these games to get dumped. I would understand if this was an old system.

Part of the problem is that Nintendo carts take forever to drop in price. Also, the hardware has a lot of markup. $74 for an official pro controller.

I found a really good third party controller for $24 and it had all the features of the official one. That is crazy markup.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned

You've clearly shown that you don't get their business model. And frankly, we don't need another Playstation or Xbox.

Their games would be better on more competent hardware with better online infrastructure.

As a fan, that's what matters to me. Their Gunpey Yokoi inspired business model means nothing to me personally.

Tams

Their games would be better on more competent hardware with better online infrastructure.

As a fan, that's what matters to me. Their Gunpey Yokoi inspired business model means nothing to me personally.
Their games likely wouldn't exist then.

Either a paid shill or most naive person on this forum.
Breaking characters, I'm playing naive by devil's advocating the discussion.

The article you linked and it's headline is intended for non readers to run with it and cry wolf. But when you actually read the claims and the their study as to why illegal downloading of video doesn't hurt games sake, the evidence falls flat.

Paraphrasing: For every illegal download a user may purchase the game because they want the DLC?! ON PC?!? HUH!?

come on people. I'm definitely not the naive one here.

teezzy

Banned
Their games likely wouldn't exist then.

You don't think Zelda/Mario/Pokemon wouldn't sell just as good, if not better, on the Sony/Xbox/Steam ecosystems?

Ive loved my Wii, DS, 3ds, WiiU and Switch, but never for the gimmicks each system has. Would so much rather play them on a traditional console

Tams

You don't think Zelda/Mario/Pokemon wouldn't sell just as good, if not better, on the Sony/Xbox/Steam ecosystems?

Ive loved my Wii, DS, 3ds, WiiU and Switch, but never for the gimmicks each system has. Would so much rather play them on a traditional console
And clearly lots of people are fine having to play them on Nintendo consoles.

Again, by having their own consoles, not only do they have another source of revenue than just games (and don't lose 30-odd% to others which all those you listed charge), they have control over their games. Would motion controls have been used if they didn't have their on consoles? Would a stylus? Would the JoyCons? Would there even be Nintendo games on a portable console selling tens of millions?

Also, just look at Sega now.

I think Nintendo needs to just start releasing ports for PC officially, while I own a switch 60FPS and no slow down is a god send for games like xenoblade and officially available would purchase it in a heartbeat.

You must not be talking about the same Nintendo the rest of us are. Even in the bizarro world where they’d agree to this, just look at the NSO smartphone app to see how well things go when Nintendo works with other platforms. They can barely even offer a competitive experience on their own current platforms.

Sentenza

In response to some comments here, look if you want to pirate games, nothing's really going to stop you, but "the hardware is weak" is not a valid excuse, so stop pretending it's justified to do it.
There's no need for any "excuse". As long as someone doesn't openly state he's pirating or advocates for it he's not breaking any rule, anyway.

You can also assume whatever you want, but in the end of the day it's not any of your business what others do, anyway.

Shifty

The genie was already out of the bottle with the N64. This is actually the norm for Nintendo systems.
Eh?

N64 as in one of the systems that took longest to get properly accurate emulation on account of all manner of weird cart-specific memory mapping and extension tech? That N64? 🧐

Sentenza

Eh?

N64 as in one of the systems that took longest to get properly accurate emulation on account of all manner of weird cart-specific memory mapping and extension tech? That N64? 🧐
"Properly accurate" is overrated, most of the time. It doesn't change that people were playing Ocarina of Time on PC days after it releases.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
"Properly accurate" is overrated, most of the time. It doesn't change that people were playing Ocarina of Time on PC days after it releases.
crazy how PC hardware back then advanced so fast you could get away with emulating the N64 mere years after release
imagine seeing that with a PS5

Sentenza

crazy how PC hardware back then advanced so fast you could get away with emulating the N64 mere years after release
imagine seeing that with a PS5
I'm guessing you meant days?
And for what is worth the gameboy color was emulated BEFORE the console hit the shelves. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

CuNi

Eh?

So by your logic, the switch is not emulated as of today since there are a few games, most of them niche, that either have major glitches or don't even boot.
We both know that no one that OP specifically means cares if the emulator is 100% accurate. The people OP talks about only care about if it plays the newest games released.
What you mean are actual people trying to preserve the game and/or archive them, which is not the group of people that are "of interest" in this thread.

Shifty

So by your logic, the switch is not emulated as of today since there are a few games, most of them niche, that either have major glitches or don't even boot.
We both know that no one that OP specifically means cares if the emulator is 100% accurate. The people OP talks about only care about if it plays the newest games released.
What you mean are actual people trying to preserve the game and/or archive them, which is not the group of people that are "of interest" in this thread.
That's extrapolating quite a bit beyond my statement.

Emulation was nowhere near as mainstream in the N64 era, and the hardware was totally proprietary. Both of these contributed to it taking a long time to become a truly known quantity.

On the other hand, Switch shares architectural similarities with past Nintendo hardware - as did the Wii U and Wii before it, and various mobile hardware that uses SoCs from the same manufacturer - and has a much larger base of hobbyists looking to crack it open and figure out how it works. Enthusiast developers run successful Patreon accounts off the back of emulator development and BotW modding.

So, in the context of someone wondering if Switch hardware is simple and easy to figure out, N64 is a poor example that resides on the other end of the Nintendo tech spectrum. Specialized hacks to get high-profile games emulating early only solves for the software, not the hardware.

nush

That's extrapolating quite a bit beyond my statement.

Emulation was nowhere near as mainstream in the N64 era, and the hardware was totally proprietary. Both of these contributed to it taking a long time to become a truly known quantity.

On the other hand, Switch shares architectural similarities with past Nintendo hardware - as did the Wii U and Wii before it, and various mobile hardware that uses SoCs from the same manufacturer - and has a much larger base of hobbyists looking to crack it open and figure out how it works. Enthusiast developers run successful Patreon accounts off the back of emulator development and BotW modding.

So, in the context of someone wondering if Switch hardware is simple and easy to figure out, N64 is a poor example that resides on the other end of the Nintendo tech spectrum. Specialized hacks to get high-profile games emulating early only solves for the software, not the hardware.

Take the L here, N64 was emulated "Good enough" while the system was still alive. It was a moment when emulation/piracy crossed over. before that it was just dead systems emulated.

nkarafo

Do you really think they deserve free games?
My point is that each pirated download doesn't mean 1 lost sale.

Eh?

UltraHLE wasn't accurate (neither PJ64 or mupen) but it was good enough to play some games. The N64 was a far more popular system to emulate in 1999/early 00s compared to the PS1/SAT because it's games, being ROM carts, were far smaller and easier to download with 56k speeds.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

If they want their games to be played with that bad IQ that various games have then they are morons.

I don't think you actually like gaming.
Not the same guy, but the hardware is fit for how they want the console to be affordable.

You gonna tell me that they wouldn't have made the switch capable of 4k/120 with Ray tracing if it was the same price?

Give me a fucking break

Last edited:

Tams

Not the same guy, but the hardware is fit for how they want the console to be affordable.

You gonna tell me that they wouldn't have made the switch capable of 4k/120 with Ray tracing if it was the same price?

Give me a fucking break

If the price were the same for the hardware and to make games at that level, yes, of course.

But it isn't.

nush

The 3 (4?) times Nintendo didn't play the power game they were super successful. Nes, Gameboy, Wii (Game & Watch?). They know now they don't need to do that to have a strong business.

If the price were the same for the hardware and to make games at that level, yes, of course.

But it isn't.
So the hardware isn't fit to how they want it to be played, it's fit to what is affordable.

Those aren't the same things lol, they're doing the absolute fucking bare minimum to keep the hardware viable.

Of course people are going to wish they could play it elsewhere, where it looks multitudes better... Wanting to play A+ software on anything but C- hardware doesn't mean they don't like games

Tams

So the hardware isn't fit to how they want it to be played, it's fit to what is affordable.

Those aren't the same things lol, they're doing the absolute fucking bare minimum to keep the hardware viable.

Of course people are going to wish they could play it elsewhere, where it looks multitudes better... Wanting to play A+ software on anything but C- hardware doesn't mean they don't like games
Tell us why there's a dock then. Tell us why the JoyCons can be detached and have their own shoulder buttons then. Tell us why it has a battery then. Tell us why the JoyCons have accelerometers and gyroscopes then (which, if you didn't know, Xbox controllers don't have).

Hayabusa83

Banned
Make your consoles backwards compatible and I will not emulate roms anymore. Respect is a two way street. Having me buy the same game from the Wii Store, and then the Wii U store, and then offer these classic games as a subscription is a massive insult to the customer.

Tell us why there's a dock then. Tell us why the JoyCons can be detached and have their own shoulder buttons then. Tell us why it has a battery then. Tell us why the JoyCons have accelerometers and gyroscopes then (which, if you didn't know, Xbox controllers don't have).
Because gimmicks are cheaper.

Half the shit you mentioned is half baked and not used regularly by the majority of owners lol

Tams

Make your consoles backwards compatible and I will not emulate roms anymore. Respect is a two way street. Having me buy the same game from the Wii Store, and then the Wii U store, and then offer these classic games as a subscription is a massive insult to the customer.
Yeah, I don't bother with that.

But I do make sure to buy a physical copy of any ROM I use. Sure, it no money longer goes anywhere near the developer or even company, but it is at least a legitimate copy.

Tams

Because gimmicks are cheaper.

Half the shit you mentioned is half baked and not used regularly by the majority of owners lol
'Half'. Lol, what a lazy get out clause.

People use it docked. People use it handheld. People share it (perhaps something alien to you). Accelerometer and gyro controllers are as close as you can get to a mouse with a controller.

Just go play any of the deluge of other games on other platforms, or even emulate Switch ones in uber duber 4k 120fps if you really want to. Salty cunt.

'Half'. Lol, what a lazy get out clause.

People use it docked. People use it handheld. People share it (perhaps something alien to you). Accelerometer and gyro controllers are as close as you can get to a mouse with a controller.

Just go play any of the deluge of other games on other platforms, or even emulate Switch ones in uber duber 4k 120fps if you really want to. Salty cunt.
You sound upset my child

daveonezero

Banned
You sound upset my child
when there are other consoles to play and ways to play Nintendo games nothing.

Or are these people also the ones so hung up on piracy that they simply can not deal with the fact games don’t meet tgeir every desire.

If the industry was run by these types it would have died a long time ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom