• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How & Why does Nintendo just let people leak their games?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
TOTK isn't a first (this has been happening for years now) but it's one of the more significant especially since TOTK is supposed to be their GOTY contender for 2023. How does Nintendo have such TERRIBLE security that they let even TOTK slip through the cracks. Youd think a game like that would be under lock and key but no it gets leaked like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Bayonetta, Splatoon, and Xenoblade.

I'm not even angry because I'm glad that I get to play their stuff earlier than most people but it's ridiculous. You think a company so hellbent on making sure the Switch is the only place to play their games would want to be a bit more careful with their biggest game of the year, especially since the people who are getting that leaked game are able to play it better thanks to the advantages of being on PC with 60fps patches and 1440p/4k galore, while getting it earlier as well and not having to pay 70 dollars for it. Their bottom line is being affected by this and they just dont seem to care, it's so weird to me.
DMCA fan project here, steam deck emulation there.... let Zelda get leaked. Nintendo works in retarded mysterious ways.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

The games have to be manufactured and transported to physical stores, then someone opens one of them early and dumps it/puts it in a Switch. Not sure how they can protect against this?

They know they can just send their ninjas after everyone who downloads the leaked game or looks at the leaks. Simple, really.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean I’m pretty sure almost anyone can rip a switch game these days. If you can get an early copy then it’s not hard.

It’s not necessarily a insider thing.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

The games have to be manufactured and transported to physical stores, then someone opens one of them early and dumps it/puts it in a Switch. Not sure how they can protect against this?
maybe they should start by making the files harder to dump, or try to curb them in some way. Improve security of the games themselves

TexMex

Nintendo makes some of the most anticipated, high profile games on the planet. It’s not that the risk isn’t there for other developers, it’s that more people are willing to do it for their games.

Kuranghi

maybe they should start by making the files harder to dump, or try to curb them in some way. Improve security of the games themselves

Yeah I guess theres just a limit on effort put in to what they get back from that, at some point it will put constraints on the development time or complexity. Hackers love to... hack things, so they'll always find a way, why waste so much time and then it happens a day later instead.

Even if Nintendo act how they do its not unlikely they don't also see the value in the game being leaked and played early, ie the buzz thats generated from that. I don't really see how it has any effect on whether the game could be a GoTY contender or not, who can say if it helps or hinders?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo makes some of the most anticipated, high profile games on the planet.
Sony does too, yet their games don't get leaked in the same way- because of better security. If sony had bad security like Nintendo GOWR would have been leaked 3 weeks before release

Kataploom

Gold Member
If anything Nintendo is the most paranoid this with this things happening... But you see why Metroid Prime Remaster couldn't be found on stores for weeks, it would have ruined the surprise

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Anyone with a modded switch can dump a cartridge, there isn't really anything they can do at this point. People that work on the distribution chain can get their hands on an advanced physical copy, dump the files and life goes on. What really sucks for Nintendo is that their console is so under powered that contemporary computers can easily emulate the console.

FingerBang

Sony does too, yet their games don't get leaked in the same way- because of better security. If sony had bad security like Nintendo GOWR would have been leaked 3 weeks before release
How exactly are you going to run a leaked PS5 game? What incentive do you think pirates have with shit that can't be played?

The only difference is, Switch games can be played on hacked consoles and emulators and they come on physical media and can be dumped. You can't do that with PC games (though leaks still happen).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Multi Billion dollar corporations are never victims. They're just dumb

Just make it harder?
Of course, why didnt anyone think about this.

Can you imagine, there would be no hacking of any sort if companies just made it harder.
They are so stupid for NOT making it harder, clearly they want people to hack their systems.

Shifty1897

This is especially common in the middle east, but elsewhere too. Box full of games gets shipped to the store to sell on release date, store puts it out for sale now, probably at jacked up prices. Games leak. Only way you could prevent it would be to make it digital only.

It happened with Star Wars Jedi Survivor too, it's not just a Nintendo problem.

Bragr

Banned
Looked at some torrent sites, and ten's of thousands are downloading it, it's disgusting and a good reason why the emulation of new machines is a ridiculous practice.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just make it harder?
Of course, why didnt anyone think about this.

Can you imagine, there would be no hacking of any sort if companies just made it harder.
They are so stupid for NOT making it harder, clearly they want people to hack their systems.
Ok a better solution. Make a system that's harder to emulate. Even if jailbreaking can't be fully prevented (tho Nintendos successfully locked switch lite and oled from hacking) making the switch harder to emulate would prevent a lot of PC players who don't even own the console to play them

They can start by making an actually powerful console for once

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Ok a better solution. Make a system that's harder to emulate. Even if jailbreaking can't be fully prevented (tho Nintendos successfully locked switch lite and oled from hacking) making the switch harder to emulate would prevent a lot of PC players who don't even own the console to play them

So they are gonna gamble and make expensive machines because people like you exploit them if they don't?

Robb

Gold Member
I heard they go door to door offering their unreleased titles to people until they find someone willing to leak it to the public.

hqdefault.jpg

brian0057

Banned
Nintendo is not some onmipresent god that can rule over the lives of everyone involved with their products.
It's made of people. And people can be assholes. Simple as.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Security would stop me from doing that. Which is why no one does it
They don't plenty of video out there. Walmart loses more money to theft than any other company.

They company is not dumb because people advocate and participate in criminal activity. Criminals are not dumb either. If Nintendo finds out who does something they prosecute and use the laws to protect their IP. But stopping a single person from uploading to the internet a game disk is impossible.

TexMex

Better security? My dude, do you think these physical games are sitting next to armed guards 24/7 around the world? They’re on the same trucks headed to Amazon warehouses and Best Buy’s across the country. There’s zero difference. All games are equally susceptible to this.

And I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Sony games leak too. Including ragnarok. Sorry.

https://kotaku.com/god-of-war-ragnarok-spoilers-leak-story-ps5-sony-1849721383

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
It seems that whoever got access to the physical release didn’t have a clue of what it was trying to sell. First they offered it for 100USD to soon realize there were people willing to spend 300+ on it.

Portugeezer

The Switch was easily hacked. It is easily emulated. Nintendo typically goes gold with complete versions of games at 1.0 and ready to play.

If someone down the supply line gets a copy... oh well.

But it's either this or a digital only future.

Sleepwalker

You can hack the switch oled and lite pretty easily, in fact theres a modchip that costs like $5 lol, so you can probably get it done under $100 if you need to find someone to install it for you.

Thabass

There are ways to do it, but I feel like it's anti-consumer to do it.

One way is to delay the physical release and instead just release the game on their own stores on release day.

Again, very anti-consumer (and not something I would support), but that IS a way.

Top Bottom