• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What stops Valve from making a home console?

Crayon

Valve would be unbelievably better off just opening up Steam OS as a legitimate free distro, as opposed to today's trying to shoehorn the custom Steam Deck OS onto other hardware.

If they did that, and Valve came to an agreement with MS for native GamePass functionality I'd probably throw that on my ROG Ally in a second.

There are distros using the deck restoration image. I'd say it's basically steamos... But then why haven't valve released it themselves? There's something going on there.

As for game pass, I think there may be a level of integration with windows or the store backend that would make it non-trivial. Not sure, though.

Sorcerer

they tried steam machines, no one cared.

pc gamers want pcs, console gamers want consoles
Valve made a huge mistake by putting the burden on other vendors to create the hardware. Initially 15 companies were on board to launch 15 varying models with power and specs all across the board. At launch only Alienware and Zotac launched models. And the Alienware model had a few fatal flaws, a complete disaster.
I don't see why they can't make a home console version of the deck, but maybe they feel the deck does tv out and portable and a console version will see little interest.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Valve made a huge mistake by putting the burden on other vendors to create the hardware. Initially 15 companies were on board to launch 15 varying models with power and specs all across the board. By the time it launched only Alienware and Zotac launched models. And the Alienware model had a few fatal flaws, a complete disaster.
I don't see why they can't make a home console version of the deck, but maybe they feel the deck does tv out and portable and a console version will see little interest.

They pushed the prices too high as well. A fixed spec system is best suited for budget systems, once you get to $700 or $800 people would want the full PC experience with upgrade paths. This concept is for the cheapskates. :messenger_beaming:

Sorcerer

They pushed the prices too high as well. A fixed spec system is best suited for budget systems, once you get to $700 or $800 people would want the full PC experience with upgrade paths. This concept is for the cheapskates. :messenger_beaming:
Yeah, with the deck you are willing to accept some limitations, but you would expect more from a pc/console and most would not be happy with just the Deck in a no screen box. But I would imagine if Valve ever releases Steam OS 3 for pc's then some vendors are going to offer it in a console form even if Valve themselves do not. But then again if Steam OS 3 is ever released you can build your own anyway.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They tried farming out steam machines trying to create a PC marketplace kind of vibe. Biggest failure ever. You could tell because after valve first promoted it, they never bothered talking about them again leaving all those third party companies making them left in the dust.

I don’t think steam wants to invest in console gaming due to the others. But PC handheld gaming they took a gamble on and it seems to be doing fine.

JimboJones

Maybe they don't think there is a need, PC hardware is fairly well serviced, if you want a PC you can buy them or build them as cheap or expensive as you like.
Handheld PCs are still a very nascent market and the only ones where either super expensive for their specs and any thing below that was cheap emulation devices with really questionable build quality. They got in a good time and pushed prices down.

Sorcerer

There are distros using the deck restoration image. I'd say it's basically steamos... But then why haven't valve released it themselves? There's something going on there.

As for game pass, I think there may be a level of integration with windows or the store backend that would make it non-trivial. Not sure, though.
I think the distro's are not quite perfect, there literally the deck experience crammed into a console from what I understand, I think you will find deck options that don't apply to a console experience left in. Understandable from an outside source, but Valve can't be that sloppy when they release. Also I think the trouble is Steam OS is built for AMD and not a great experience on Nvida, so that is probably a huge milestone to overcome.

Last edited:

Crayon

I think the distro's are not quite perfect, there literally the deck experience crammed into a console from what I understand, I think you will find deck options that don't apply to a console experience left in. Understandable from an outside source, but Valve can't be that sloppy when they release. Also I think the trouble is Steam OS is built for AMD and not a great experience on Nvida, so that is probably a huge milestone to overcome.

That's right, nvidia drivers. I always forget about that. Personally, I never had a problem with them. I actually switched because the open sourcing of the Radeon driver, but my Nvidia card always worked fine.i should dig into that a bit.

I tried holoiso and iirc the irrelevant deck features were removed. I'm not sure if the os does that automatically or is it was customized to do so. Either way, I agree something feels off about it and I don't use it. I'm sticking with glorious egg roll"s nobara till I can try the real steamos release.

Sorcerer

That's right, nvidia drivers. I always forget about that. Personally, I never had a problem with them. I actually switched because the open sourcing of the Radeon driver, but my Nvidia card always worked fine.i should dig into that a bit.

I tried holoiso and iirc the irrelevant deck features were removed. I'm not sure if the os does that automatically or is it was customized to do so. Either way, I agree something feels off about it and I don't use it. I'm sticking with glorious egg roll"s nobara till I can try the real steamos release.

It's been a while so i suppose the distro's are more refined.
It's funny Steam OS was availabe to download day 1 in 2015. On the download page it encouraged one to build your own PC. Flying in the face of their partner's building pc's.
Also Valve undercut the partners again with the Steam Link. You really don't need to buy a pc just hook this box up and use your exsisting pc on any tv/monitor you want. LOL!!!
What a mess!!!

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The switch formula is the best option. Portable with a dock

I think they should take it a step further and include a wireless dongle. Otherwise unless u have another controllers, since they aren't detachable, how are you going to play?
And it just becomes super easy to play on a tv, no dock needed.

Sorcerer

I think they should take it a step further and include a wireless dongle. Otherwise unless u have another controllers, since they aren't detachable, how are you going to play?
And it just becomes super easy to play on a tv, no dock needed.
I imagine another hurdle for a Steam Console is parity with the deck. They are going to probably want to release it along with a Steam Controller 2. 2 analog sticks this time around in addition to the trackpads.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I imagine another hurdle for a Steam Console is parity with the deck. They are going to probably want to release it along with a Steam Controller 2. 2 analog sticks this time around in addition to the trackpads.

That's true, but I suspect that's almost ready to go. I honestly thought they might launch one of these this year but perhaps the oled steam deck took away thier attention.

acm2000

Valve made a huge mistake by putting the burden on other vendors to create the hardware. Initially 15 companies were on board to launch 15 varying models with power and specs all across the board. At launch only Alienware and Zotac launched models. And the Alienware model had a few fatal flaws, a complete disaster.
The whole reason deck is doing well is because it allows pc gamers to play their games anywhere, they already have the "console" at home, their pc.

What do you think the Steam Deck is? I know somebody's going to say "well, actshully, it's a PC", which is true (sort of) but the average punter on the street is going to percieve it as a console similar to the Nintendo Switch.

Steam Deck is a console advertised as handheld PC for the PC crowd. If I hack my PS5 and run Linux on it, does it become a PC?

The PS5 has a lot of PC parts inside of it, Playstation design philosophy is nothing like the PS2 or PS3 days. You could make the argument that the PS5 is a PC with a custom OS.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if the PS5 is considered a console platform then Steam Deck is certainly one too. Obviously, as people well versed in technology, we can split hairs all day but, to the average person, the Steam Deck is a console. I honestly hope SD sells well, it's a great little machine.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The Deck is the 4th console. It's a hybrid console. I'll stop being an 'idiot' once you can easily open up a Deck and replace the custom GPU and ram.
Replacing components is not a requirement for being a PC. Many laptops have no way to change ram or storage and changing laptop GPUs was never a thing. Do you not call them PCs?

Shifty1897

Back in the late 2010's I built a PC that I put in a smallish console looking case and put in my living room. You power it on, it automatically booted directly into Steam's Big Picture mode. Was basically a Steam console and not hard to do.

Thirty7ven

Banned
So many reasons. Is there space in the market? Not likely. If their home console had sold what the Steamdeck has sold in the first year it would be considered a disaster. If Nintendo had sold 3 million switches in the first year it would be a disaster.

Are we talking consoles or are we talking mini pc? Because if it’s a mini pc then that’s not a console. Do they have the infrastructure capable of producing a console? And then manufacture at scale? Unproven.

And if they made a console, would you be able to run any steam game on it?

Schmendrick

Valve's philosophy seems incompatible with a walled garden approach aka console, and that is for the best.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Again, Valve is a small company as these things go. They have under 1,000 people for all the shit they do, maybe with exception of Service Desk support or something.

It’s a miracle they can support all their current stuff as it is. And they can’t expand fast (or much at all) due to their corporate structure.

Dr.D00p

Software.

It takes exclusive content to build market share for a dedicated console.

Valve would have to become a Nintendo like company, producing unique content not available on any other platform. They just don't have the in house game development culture to pull that off.

If it all it did was run PC games then it would be pointless as then your just competing with PC sales with PC hardware continually improving and outclassing a fixed spec Valve console.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So many reasons. Is there space in the market? Not likely. If their home console had sold what the Steamdeck has sold in the first year it would be considered a disaster. If Nintendo had sold 3 million switches in the first year it would be a disaster.

Are we talking consoles or are we talking mini pc? Because if it’s a mini pc then that’s not a console. Do they have the infrastructure capable of producing a console? And then manufacture at scale? Unproven.

I think you are looking at it backwards. Steam would never create a platform that had to stand on its own in terms of game library. If they sold four or five million units at profit or break-even and then sold those users some software, that's a profitable result for them. They don't have to worry about dev support for the platform, the games are already on PC just like with the Deck. It would literally be no different than the Deck outside of being more powerful (Not needing a screen, battery, or such a small case would allow them to shift those $ to the APU).

It would act as a safeguard for their platform if traditional PC component pricing was pricing out some users.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Doesnt matter, it was Valve´s idea and concept - they licenced "Steam Machines" out.
Just like 3DO did back then, where Sanyo, Samsung, Goldstar and Creative Labs released their 3DO variants.
And you wouldnt say those arent 3DO´s cause 3DO didnt make them!

3DOs were all made to the same specific specifications, so they were all the same.

Steam Machines from other companies were just small form factor PCs with all kinds of specs.

Sorcerer

I forget that fact, some games will never run on linux, Proton or not. So that is a huge negative for a console, most of the games in our store maybe, but certainly not all, it does not have the portability edge to dampen the blow there.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

3DOs were all made to the same specific specifications, so they were all the same.

Steam Machines from other companies were just small form factor PCs with all kinds of specs.
No uniformity except for the operating system.
In fact Valve made Proton available for every Linux Distro at the time and abandoned Steam OS completely. Certainly, a WTF move, but I guess they had to cut losses to get to where they are with Proton today.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Obviously, because the Nintendo Switch (and all other consoles) have to rely on proprietary software sales for their format. Low hardware sales would spell disaster, and would snowball as third party publishers wouldn’t see a point to support it.

Valve has none of the problems console makers have, to worry about.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Obviously, because the Nintendo Switch (and all other consoles) have to rely on proprietary software sales for their format. Low hardware sales would spell disaster, and would snowball as third party publishers wouldn’t see a point to support it.

So you are talking about mini PCs, not a console.

Sorcerer

Valve makes money, weather you buy a Steam Deck , a Legion, or an Ally. Unless you happen to use Epic or GoG.

Fbh

I think it just doesn't make that much sense for them.
Steam benefits from already being the "default" gaming storefront on PC, making a home consoles would come with all the work, logistics and headache associated with it and might not even bump their user numbers too much.

They could basically go 2 ways:

- Make a more traditional console with an affordable price in the hopes of getting some console-only players to buy it. Which would require selling the hardware with little to no profit margin (or at a loss)

- Just make a Steam branded pre build PC. But at that point they'd basically just be targeting the people that want to play on PC already.... and they will most likely end up using steam anyway even if they build their own PC or buy a pre build one from another brand.

Papa_Wisdom

I’m interested to know what these fatal flaws are? As shown previously in this thread I have one and interested to know if there’s anything I should be concerned about?

Thirty7ven

Banned
That’s what a Steam console would be. A set top box that Valve subsidizes the cost of.

They would subsidize the cost of an open platform? With no other forms of revenue other than game sales?

Brilliant business strategy. Either way that’s not a console, it’s a mini pc.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I’m interested to know what these fatal flaws are? As shown previously in this thread I have one and interested to know if there’s anything I should be concerned about?
If your is working after all this time you must be okay. No worries!!! At the time there was a booting/bios flaw that would not let you into the system. I had one it and sucked, and it was a widespread problem, never got fixed apparently. I have heard of others but If you had the booting flaw you would never notice the others most likely LOL!!!
I got myself the Zotac NEN with the Valve Logo across the top. What a beautiful machine!!! After almost a decade that thing can still run Cyberpunk on medium settings. Of course Valve abandoned Steam OS and I put Windows on it after waiting and waiting for Proton to come to Steam OS and they never did.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

If your is working after all this time you must be okay. At the time there was a booting/bios flaw that would not let you into the system. I had one it and sucked, and it was a widespread problem, never got fixed apparently. I have heard of others but If you had the booting flaw you would never notice the others most likely LOL!!!
I got myself the Zotac NEN with the Valve Logo across the top, what a beautiful machine. After more than a decade that thing can still run Cyberpunk on medium settings. Of course Valve abandoned Steam OS and I put Windows on it after waiting and waiting for Proton to come to Steam OS and it never did.
Ahh great thanks for letting me know, no issues like that touch wood, I am aware of a dying cmos battery which I’m going to replace soon

The only other issue I’ve had with it is that on initial boot the Fans of the 1660 super in The graphics amp spin up but when it launches into windows they stop and I couldn’t get them to work no matter what I tried. Which obviously meant issues when playing games or using the gpu in general it would just crash.

Fixed it by downloading msi afterburner. Just have to increase it manually whenever I boot up a game. Bit of a pain but unless I figure out why it does it that’s my only option.

Sorcerer

Ahh great thanks for letting me know, no issues like that touch wood, I am aware of a dying cmos battery which I’m going to replace soon

The only other issue I’ve had with it is that on initial boot the Fans of the 1660 super in The graphics amp spin up but when it launches into windows they stop and I couldn’t get them to work no matter what I tried. Which obviously meant issues when playing games or using the gpu in general it would just crash.

Fixed it by downloading msi afterburner. Just have to increase it manually whenever I boot up a game. Bit of a pain but unless I figure out why it does it that’s my only option.
I loved the Alienware machine itself. The design with the RGB Alien head was amazing. But I lost faith in Alienware after that calamity. Glad yours works though.
Perhaps you have an Alienware Alpha? Alienware made a Windows version of the hardware because Valve kept delaying the release of the machines. Maybe that one is problem free?

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

I loved the Alienware machine itself. The design with the RGB Alien head was amazing. But I lost faith in Alienware after that calamity. Glad yours works though.
Thank, yeah I agree, it still runs everything I want it to,

Having Saturn, Dreamcast, model2/3, GameCube, wii, wii u, switch, ps2 All in a little box like that sitting under my tv is fantastic: also playing ff7 remake and resi evil 4 remake on it atm.

Tempted to try ps3 but I have the console so not really bothered tbh.

I love this kind of form factor so much that my next pc will prob also be one of these mini type of pcs. The advancement of specs in these things From then to now has increased dramatically. Maybe in a few years illl see what’s available.

Edit: still tempted to do this mod

Last edited:
Top Bottom