• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What stops Valve from making a home console?

Three

uGziVut.jpg

Still have mine, it’s amazing for emulation and the recent newish game

ALIENWARE ALPHA R2, 3.4 (base) to 4GHz (boost) Full desktop intel 6700 i7 ( upgraded from original 2.8Ghz i7 6700t )

Thermal grizzly cryonaut thermal paste used.

1TB SSD/128GB NVME SSD

Windows 10 installed on nvme ssd for fastest boot

16GB DDR4

Dedicated GTX960

upgraded 330watt power brick for Alpha R2 from original 180watt power brick

wifi/bluetooth built in

Outputs Hdmi/display port

8x usb in (4 on alpha r2 + 4 on amplifier)

ALIENWARE AMPLIFIER with 460watt dedicated power supply, 1660 super installed.
Is that a modded xbox? It looks badass

rofif

Banned
Because pc is it a console. Even steam deck, while fixing some annoying pc windows stuff, still is a pc with all its ups and downs.
Ain’t nobody got time for that. We don’t need a middle ground. There is a console for those who don’t care and pc for those who do

So laptop PCs are consoles (yes, some you can upgrade, but many models, for decades, you couldn't "easily" do that). Better tell Intel and all companies making (NUC and similar) mini PCs that they aren't PCs. Non upgradable PCs have always been a thing. Guess you'll never stop. Good luck 🤷‍♂️
So are laptops with soldered RAM consoles as well?
Replacing components is not a requirement for being a PC. Many laptops have no way to change ram or storage and changing laptop GPUs was never a thing. Do you not call them PCs?
Since we've had this thread topic before, we're starting to loop here, but it happens often on this forum I guess.

Other than what I've mentioned about hardware, this is what the Steam Deck does:

-Is sold at a loss in order to get users to buy hardware so that they will eventually purchase software, since more money is made that way.
-Is only being updated on generational terms, i.e. we had the Steam Deck 1 come out and recently we had a Deck OLED model release as a refresh. The next model isn't coming until the next generation of other consoles are already out.
-They have been using the same hardware for each model(Unlike steam machines which had multiple iterations and versions, causing confusion amongst buyers)
-The OLED model did not create a wide gap in performance between it and the original model. This is something a non-console machine would have done. It was instead a refresh with a slight bump in performance, similar to mid-gen refreshes of other consoles.
-Games need to be made compatible with the OS that the hardware is using in order to work. (yes, you can brute force windows onto it the same way you could mod a Switch to play SNES ROMs, but most casual console-style buyers won't bother.)
-They are hard at work at making sure each game is optimized for their console's OS.
-Like I've stated above, there is no version of a Steam Deck that exists that can have new parts installed in it(Unlike some of the thicker/gaming laptops out there).

If all of this sounds familiar, it should, because it sounds exactly like a console. Before your rebuttal, I'll list the typical arguing points against this because these points are what makes this thing a hybrid console:

-The Steam Deck is an open software platform.
-The Steam Deck allows for multiple different types of peripherals to connect to it.

It doesn't make sense to 'fight' this console terminology when Valve themselves are following the console formula by the book. The only difference is that they're just making a better console than everyone else.

Last edited:

El Muerto

PCs arent consoles brotendo
Just build your own. Either build a rig or if you're cheap buy an old optiplex or hp workstation, put in a gpu and there you go, fits right in your entertainment center. Then dress it up with a steam sticker and cheap led strips to make it look more gamer-y.

Crayon

There were no steam machines thus nothing to fail. I was fooled too, but it's been years. Take a minute to reassess the events between then and now.

StereoVsn

Valve is a fairly small company all things considered. They support a few MP game, work on Source engine, actually put in a lot of work into the Steam Storefront, support the said storefront and its infrastructure, develop and support Proton and SteamOS, develop and support hardware like Steam Deck and Index, and more.

There is no way for them to really release and support a mass market console in addition to above unless they expanded a lot. And that will not happen since Valve is not the sort of a company that can expand greatly.

There is no management structure for it and the overall company org is very very flat. It’s a damn miracle they manage to produce so much cool stuff as it is.

tmlDan

They lack the ability to make anything compelling to anyone but their own audience of PC gamers who already have a PC

Zathalus

Since we've had this thread topic before, we're starting to loop here, but it happens often on this forum I guess.

Other than what I've mentioned about hardware, this is what the Steam Deck does:

-Is sold at a loss in order to get users to buy hardware so that they will eventually purchase software, since more money is made that way.
-Is only being updated on generational terms, i.e. we had the Steam Deck 1 come out and recently we had a Deck OLED model release as a refresh. The next model isn't coming until the next generation of other consoles are already out.
-They have been using the same hardware for each model(Unlike steam machines which had multiple iterations and versions, causing confusion amongst buyers)
-The OLED model did not create a wide gap in performance between it and the original model. This is something a non-console machine would have done. It was instead a refresh with a slight bump in performance, similar to mid-gen refreshes of other consoles.
-Games need to be made compatible with the OS that the hardware is using in order to work. (yes, you can brute force windows onto it the same way you could mod a Switch to play SNES ROMs, but most casual console-style buyers won't bother.)
-They are hard at work at making sure each game is optimized for their console's OS.
-Like I've stated above, there is no version of a Steam Deck that exists that can have new parts installed in it(Unlike some of the thicker/gaming laptops out there).

If all of this sounds familiar, it should, because it sounds exactly like a console. Before your rebuttal, I'll list the typical arguing points against this because these points are what makes this thing a hybrid console:

-The Steam Deck is an open software platform.
-The Steam Deck allows for multiple different types of peripherals to connect to it.

It doesn't make sense to 'fight' this console terminology when Valve themselves are following the console formula by the book. The only difference is that they're just making a better console than everyone else.
One thing to clear up, it's not sold at a loss. Not even Valve claimed this. The ASUS ROG ally is only slightly more expensive then the (old) top model with components that cost way more but is clearly sold at a profit. The Deck has the further advantage of not having to worry about a store overhead as it is sold by Steam themselves.

You raise some points that clearly show that the Steam Deck is a unique platform that had differences from regular PCs. It has some superficial similarities to a console but at the end of the day it's still a PC. You can certainly call it 'console like' but it is not a closed platform, nor is it a hassle free console experience.

Zathalus

They lack the ability to make anything compelling to anyone but their own audience of PC gamers who already have a PC
Even if this was true (which it's not, basic research can clear that up) being limited to an audience of 135 million people is not a bad thing.

skit_data

I liked the idea of Steam machines back when they were more of "a thing", it's a shame it didn't work out as intended.

Last edited:
One thing to clear up, it's not sold at a loss. Not even Valve claimed this. The ASUS ROG ally is only slightly more expensive then the (old) top model with components that cost way more but is clearly sold at a profit. The Deck has the further advantage of not having to worry about a store overhead as it is sold by Steam themselves.

You raise some points that clearly show that the Steam Deck is a unique platform that had differences from regular PCs. It has some superficial similarities to a console but at the end of the day it's still a PC. You can certainly call it 'console like' but it is not a closed platform, nor is it a hassle free console experience.
Your entire second set of sentences is why I call it a hybrid. It cannot be a PC simply because it has an open software platform. That would classify too many devices as a 'PC'. What defines it as a console is not merely on the software side. The Deck is literally what something like the Ouya attempted to be, and the Ouya was also marketed in a similarly open way before it quickly died.

Regarding the first half, I'm only bringing up the loss statement because that's what certain people claimed when they opened it up on release day and looked at the parts. Selling something with it's specs at it's lowest model price, seems highly likely to be sold at a loss. If all models were sold at around 500 and up then I'd probably agree more with your statement. The fact that no other windows handheld maker can even approach Valve's lowest model price is also very telling.

Zathalus

Whats not true, provide said research
Tons of people across reddit, social media and this very forum asking advice on the Steam Deck or ROG Ally for someone who has never owned a gaming PC before. I'm not claiming it is a huge number but the interest is there, especially considering it is not widely available or even widely advertised.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’d be down with Valve taking another stab at it, but really - the handheld market makes way more sense than consoles.

The difference between Steam Machines and the Steam Deck, is that Steam Machines were variable hardware configurations made by 3rd parties who weren't exactly convinced and dedicated to support their products long term, and SteamOS at the time had terrible compatibility and feature support facilitating that issue. The Steam Deck is made by Valve itself and has a fixed hardware spec.

SteamOS has come leaps and bounds since then.. it's not even remotely the same situation now as it was before. If Valve wanted to make their own console form factor device... they very easily could, and I have no doubt in my mind that at the right price, it could be successful and grow.

Last edited:
With free online, it could be descriptive, still a big risk, as they have to spend a lot on r and d and marketing and manufacturing.

Valve operates a PC game store. They aren't a platform holder in that sense, they don't control Windows or the development of any of the games that appear on Steam.

The Steam Deck was just an interesting experiment, while it has sold quite well for the niche it occupies, it is still an experimental product. There's a far cry between making something like the Steam Deck and trying to push out a full-fledged console-like device. Someone already brought up the Steam Machine, which was ultimately a failure because why would someone buy that instead of a prebuilt PC? There's no reason to do that. The Steam Deck was in many ways a new product, before then PC handhelds were really a tiny tiny nonexistent niche.

I applaud Valve for taking the first steps towards a future free of having PC gaming tethered to Windows, but the reality is if Microsoft saw a real threat to Windows from SteamOS and Proton/WINE they would not hesitate to crush it in an instant. Don't mistake Microsoft's complacence in letting SteamOS and Proton/WINE exist for acceptance. It's just so tiny and insignificant that they don't waste time and effort trying to destroy it. But if Valve actually tried to launch a mass market console-like device with decent-ish hardware running SteamOS and Proton/WINE, Microsoft would presumably not take it lightly nor be friendly. Microsoft does not tolerate anything which could actually threaten the Windows monopoly. Valve generally has a good relationship with Microsoft and they don't want to jeopardize it over some hypothetical product which would be super niche anyways.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Valve operates a PC game store. They aren't a platform holder in that sense, they don't control Windows or the development of any of the games that appear on Steam.

The Steam Deck was just an interesting experiment, while it has sold quite well for the niche it occupies, it is still an experimental product. There's a far cry between making something like the Steam Deck and trying to push out a full-fledged console-like device. Someone already brought up the Steam Machine, which was ultimately a failure because why would someone buy that instead of a prebuilt PC? There's no reason to do that. The Steam Deck was in many ways a new product, before then PC handhelds were really a tiny tiny nonexistent niche.

I applaud Valve for taking the first steps towards a future free of having PC gaming tethered to Windows, but the reality is if Microsoft saw a real threat to Windows from SteamOS and Proton/WINE they would not hesitate to crush it in an instant. Don't mistake Microsoft's complacence in letting SteamOS and Proton/WINE exist for acceptance. It's just so tiny and insignificant that they don't waste time and effort trying to destroy it. But if Valve actually tried to launch a mass market console-like device with decent-ish hardware running SteamOS and Proton/WINE, Microsoft would presumably not take it lightly nor be friendly. Microsoft does not tolerate anything which could actually threaten the Windows monopoly. Valve generally has a good relationship with Microsoft and they don't want to jeopardize it over some hypothetical product which would be super niche anyways.

Valve is spending a lot of money to break the Windows monopoly, even if Microsoft does not like it. It does not mean they can stop it.

Crayon

I don't understand how Ms is supposed to crush them. You assume they have the ability and not the willingness but it's more likely to be the other way around.

DaGwaphics

I seriously doubt a Steam console would present much of a threat to Windows, at least not much more than the Deck. The needle doesn't seem to be moving much, I doubt it will any time in the foreseeable future. Plus, it's not like the companies can control each other. If MS had that kind of influence over Valve the Deck wouldn't be a thing.

At any rate I think the idea could be good for the bottom of the market. It doesn't need to be Valve necessarily, Asus or another PC maker could probably jump in. Valve would be in the best position to support such a device though since they do profit from the store.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Steam Deck is literally a PC with a nice OS wrapper. That's all a Valve console would be.

Just buy a small form factor PC and set it to launch Steam Desktop.

Entering the home console market is a lost cause unless you have at least a billion dollars you're looking to burn. The market is already very crowded between Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox. There's no need for a fourth player, especially when Valve has such a massive share of the PC market. If you really want a console experience with Steam, can't you just hook your gaming PC up to your TV, hook up a USB controller and provision it with Steam, and be off and running? I don't see any benefit to Valve making machines specifically as consoles--it seems like the market for that is so niche it would cost them far more money than they would end up making. On top of this, if this theoretical "Steam Console" is locked to specific specs, it's yet another thing third party publishers have to acquiesce to, ensuring that their game runs really well under yet another strict architecture. PC releases have always been scalable to suit different hardware configurations from the lowest end to the people on the bleeding edge. This just seems like it would needlessly complicate things for almost everyone, when in fact you can make your PC into a pseudo-console by hooking up to your TV and using a controller.

The SteamDeck already feels like a nice compromise between console and PC while also having some easier portability. But I just don't see a significant enough desire for the Steam experience in the living room. I'm reminded of how Sony tried to create a home console experience on the Go with the Vita and learning it was only a niche market not large enough to sustain itself.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
On the contrary, steam is their platform and a major one that should be counted alongside nintendo and playstation given it's influence. It's overlooked as a platform because enthusiasts are obsessed with hardware.

The games are executing on Steam?...

They would either have to use off-the-shelf parts or they'd have to go custom and get every game updated to run on the new drivers.

Either would be an expensive proposition and they wouldn't sell a large number of units.

Not to mention their royalties are much smaller on PC and their prices are cheaper, and people have larger built libraries, meaning they won't necessarily buy more games.

They'd have to sell it for a profit based on the slimmer software royalty margins, which would prevent it from competing with Sony or Microsoft.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Is this a distinction that matters, no, not at all. LOL

If they built a console-esque unit with XSX/PS5 like performance (6650XT/7600 range basically) and could get it out the door for $400 or $500 dollars they'd have some takers. They'd fill a gap in the PC market for entry-level hardware. A 7600 and an 8 core processor would cost you just about as much just for the two pieces and you'd still have a case, PSU, MB, Memory and an SSD to buy. Plus you have to put it together or pay someone else to do that for you. Valve would have a nice price advantage because they wouldn't be looking for a profit from the units, it'd be more of a break-even thing.
well, isn't this exactly what i was asking you?:

the steam deck simply lets you play pc games. it's a cheap, portable pc. i'm not sure what you're saying. that they should build an equivalent 'under your tv' model? consoles require that game developers design a version of their game that meets the specific specs of the consoles. any kind of custom pc valve does make or might make wouldn't really fall into this category. they're fundamentally non-upgradable pcs that meet current existent pc specs, & play pc software...
so you're saying that, yes, valve should build an 'under your tv' model of the steam deck, correct? well, it'd seem to me that if they saw it as being potentially profitable, as they apparently saw the steam deck being, they would, eh? but, i guess they just don't?...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Because they want to stand a neutral ground where they benefit from the console wars, where both Sony and Microsoft can port their games to.

ScHlAuChi

Not made by Valve
Doesnt matter, it was Valve´s idea and concept - they licenced "Steam Machines" out.
Just like 3DO did back then, where Sanyo, Samsung, Goldstar and Creative Labs released their 3DO variants.
And you wouldnt say those arent 3DO´s cause 3DO didnt make them!

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Id be game of they didnt release it with there horrinle steam controller, truely one of the worst devices ive ever used

Zannegan

They failed miserably with their pre-Proton efforts, in part because you never knew if a game would be supported or not.

I think mobile hardware is the right niche for them to chase right now because anyone who wants something stationary may as well go PC. There may be a time though when it's right to try to break into consoles again, though hopefully manufactured by Valve instead of leaning on 3rd party partners.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Very simple for them to build a system around the z1.

Some have said ms would be upset, seriously doubt that. No more a threat than any pc.

Why would they do it? It's very simple, they get a cut of every game sold on the steam store. I think some of you are way overcomplicating this.

Who cares if it's called a console or not.

The previous "steam pc's" where not priced as a mass market product nor was the os ready for it.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
what would motivate valve to make a home console? what would justify valve making a home console? why in the hell would valve even be interested in making a home console?...

look at ms. the home console thing is in no way a sure bet. quite the contrary...
It wouldn't be a console just a standardized PC like the deck. Would get rid of shader stutter for people who bought it which could be a selling point in of itself.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I still have my beta Steam Machine. I was one of the lucky 300 to receive one. It was and still is a phenomenally manufactured PC, I just wish it could be upgraded.

Valve would be unbelievably better off just opening up Steam OS as a legitimate free distro, as opposed to today's trying to shoehorn the custom Steam Deck OS onto other hardware.

If they did that, and Valve came to an agreement with MS for native GamePass functionality I'd probably throw that on my ROG Ally in a second.

Top Bottom