• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you stop buying PS consoles if Sony released their games on PC day 1?

Would you stop buying PS consoles if Sony released their games on PC day 1?

• Yes

Votes: 265 50.1%
  • No

Votes: 264 49.9%

• Total voters

Shin-Ra

I would not. I don't care about pc's, so I would still buy playstations.
Not really singling you out, there’s a lot of no posts like this but..

How would you still buy PlayStation’s if they’re not producing them any more?

The current strategy only leads to declining console sales which leads to less support for the console which leads to even less sales and no more consoles because it’s not sustainable.

Sony’s killing its own platform and they don’t have the excuse that nobody’s tried this before.

Fbh

Even without day 1 exclusives, the only thing keeping me on Ps5 right now is being too broke to afford a decent PC.
As someone who has been on Playstation for the last 20 years I just see fewer and fewer reasons to stay. I'm caring increasingly less about Sony first party games, and for the ones I like I don't really mind waiting a year or two for them to come to PC.

On Pc you've got free multiplayer, regional pricing (which has become very relevant since our local currency went to shit in the last 10 years), more indies + everything from MS day 1, mods, emulators, multiple storefronts (most of which are more consumer friendly than PSN), etc.

The idea I have to pay $80 a year for something as basic as being able to see player messages in the upcoming Elden Ring DLC is enough to make me want to get away from consoles ASAP.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

It's hard decision, I've avoided going PC for so long for the convenience of a console and it's ecosystem. This year though, for both Xbox and PlayStation , I am definitely considering moving to PC more and more.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yes... I definitely would... been a console gamer since the ps3 era and a ps only guy since ps4... but with the consoles refusing to take the leap to a more premium package + all the game being avaible on pc day one ? Is a no brainer if you have the money to build a pc and have it all.

Garibaldi

I'm on my pc vastly more these days than the PS5. Mainly due to ease of access. We have a one TV policy in the house and the PS5 is hooked up to that, which I get about 3 hours a week access to at most. The kids normally use their phones/tablets.

I'll probably not bother with a console at all next gen simply due to that. I'm double dipping too much anyway. Unless I hook the consoles up to monitor in the home office...

SenkiDala

Not true. When asked if Xbox owners would sell their Xbox if MS went full third party, most of GAF said no.

uV6ONrR.png

My bad then. I've to say I'm surprised, I'm reading SO often (daily) "why own an xbox, just get a PC" in every forum, every social network, everywhere...

Well also I live in France where Xbox is more than hated. When people ask you "oh you're a gamer too, what are you playing on ?" and you say "on Xbox" they don't ask you "oh cool what games to you play", but "why? you couldn't find a PS5?". I seriously heard that plenty of times. :D So yes my vision might be biased by those experiences.

Topher

Gold Member
My bad then. I've to say I'm surprised, I'm reading SO often (daily) "why own an xbox, just get a PC" in every forum, every social network, everywhere...

Well also I live in France where Xbox is more than hated. When people ask you "oh you're a gamer too, what are you playing on ?" and you say "on Xbox" they don't ask you "oh cool what games to you play", but "why? you couldn't find a PS5?". I seriously heard that plenty of times. :D So yes my vision might be biased by those experiences.

Understand bro. Gotta adjust my perspectives all the time.

For sure. I mean I already wait until PS games are on sale, so I rarely buy day 1, but if I know they are going to release on PC 100% for sure then I will just go full on PC for everything.

AmuroChan

Unless there is a way to transfer all my purchases on PSN, the answer is no chance, even if all the games come to PC day 1. I'm not going to just give up my library of games that I've spent many thousands of dollars on, and that's not even including all the physical games I own.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

There’s also a bit of a difference between asking people if they’re going to buy the next console vs selling the console you already have.

Answering yes to this thread’s poll doesn’t automatically mean you’ll transition to PC instead, either.

PS4 is the last non-Nintendo console I ever plan on owning and I sold that years ago. PS3 was the last really good Sony console to me as it had plenty of exclusives that made the platform worth owning. With PS5 that number is down to maybe 4 titles and Demon's Souls remake is the only one I anticipate never leaving the system.

StereoVsn

Unless there is a way to transfer all my purchases on PSN, the answer is no chance, even if all the games come to PC day 1. I'm not going to just give up my library of games that I've spent many thousands of dollars on, and that's not even including all the physical games I own.
You could just keep the PS5 and buy a PC down the line instead of getting a PS6. Can start buying games on PC side and OS5 would be your BC box for PS4/PS5 games.

Thats pretty much what I do with PS5 and XSX. They are mainly for older titles and some exclusives on PS5 where I didn’t want to wait a few years for a PC version.

AmuroChan

You could just keep the PS5 and buy a PC down the line instead of getting a PS6. Can start buying games on PC side and OS5 would be your BC box for PS4/PS5 games.

Thats pretty much what I do with PS5 and XSX. They are mainly for older titles and some exclusives on PS5 where I didn’t want to wait a few years for a PC version.

I could, but I rather just get a PS6. I have PS+ subscribed until 2029.

Seyken

Even without day 1 exclusives, the only thing keeping me on Ps5 right now is being too broke to afford a decent PC.
As someone who has been on Playstation for the last 20 years I just see fewer and fewer reasons to stay. I'm caring increasingly less about Sony first party games, and for the ones I like I don't really mind waiting a year or two for them to come to PC.

On Pc you've got free multiplayer, regional pricing (which has become very relevant since our local currency went to shit in the last 10 years), more indies + everything from MS day 1, mods, emulators, multiple storefronts (most of which are more consumer friendly than PSN), etc.

The idea I have to pay $80 a year for something as basic as being able to see player messages in the upcoming Elden Ring DLC is enough to make me want to get away from consoles ASAP.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, and planning to build a PC this year still. Sony exclusive games are not screaming "day one" as they once did, what with all the woke stuff that's slowly but surely taking hold of their games.

People here will get upset that I'm saying this, but Sony releasing their exclusive games on PC, even if 2 years later, is tipping the scales of balance against them - it's starting to get TOO advantageous to have a PC over a console. I get everything from everywhere, from any generation AND better price, performance and with mods available?

There's a good chance I won't be a PS6 owner and I couldn't see myself saying this even 1-2 years ago.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'm pretty much in the same boat, and planning to build a PC this year still. Sony exclusive games are not screaming "day one" as they once did, what with all the woke stuff that's slowly but surely taking hold of their games.

People here will get upset that I'm saying this, but Sony releasing their exclusive games on PC, even if 2 years later, is tipping the scales of balance against them - it's starting to get TOO advantageous to have a PC over a console. I get everything from everywhere, from any generation AND better price, performance and with mods available? There's a good chance I won't be a PS6 owner and I couldn't see myself saying this even 1-2 years ago.

Pretty much.
Another huge factor that kept me on Playstation but has drastically changed in the last 5-6 years is Japan finally embracing PC.
During the Ps3 and early Ps4 era PC missed out on tons of Japanese game releases, Playstation made more sense because it got much better support from japan.

But now? You have big publishers like Capcom saying PC is their main platform, once niche franchises like Yakuza and YS are launching day 1 on PC, everything by FROM is day 1 on PC, we've got stuff like Shin Megami Tensei and Metaphor coming, retro inspired games like Octopath Traveler and even stuff like Triangle Strategy which isn't on Ps5.

There are sill a few exceptions like Unicorn Overlord, and Sony is still paying Square for timed exclusivity on their bigger games (though FFXVI is already confirmed for PC and Rebirth will probably come over eventually too). But for the most part PC has become a great place to play Japanese games too.

Last edited:
Assuming this ever happens, it depends mostly on price to spec for me. PCs are a bit weaker per $ but if it's in the ballpark why not put all your eggs in one basket.

Seyken

Pretty much.
Another huge factor that kept me on Playstation but has drastically changed in the last 5-6 years is Japan finally embracing PC.
During the Ps3 and early Ps4 era PC missed out on tons of Japanese game releases, Playstation made more sense because it got much better support from japan.

But now? You have big publishers like Capcom saying PC is their main platform, once niche franchises like Yakuza and YS are launching day 1 on PC, everything by FROM is day 1 on PC, we've got stuff like Shin Megami Tensei and Metaphor coming, retro inspired games like Octopath Traveler and even stuff like Triangle Strategy which isn't on Ps5.

There are sill a few exceptions like Unicorn Overlord, and Sony is still paying Square for timed exclusivity on their bigger games (though FFXVI is already confirmed for PC and Rebirth will probably come over eventually too). But for the most part PC has become a great place to play Japanese games too.
Exactly, japanese games (all the devs and franchises you mentioned) have always been a pretty major factor for me as well.

Are you me? Next you'll tell me your country with weak currency is also Brazil.

Whilst it wouldn't be a deal breaker per se, the biggest hurdle I have at present is making time to play games.

As it is I'm debating whether I can even justify buying a PS6 when that eventually releases when I play PS5 so little.

Could be a different story with a Switch 2 or Playstation Portal.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I saw this discussion on another forum and I want GAF's take on it too. If Sony starts to release games on PC day one going forward, will that make any difference to your ownership of PlayStation consoles? Why or why not?
Price of a console

Price of a gaming PC

Master race living in a components bubble does not understand asking someone to spend 4-5x the amount of money (even if the performance will be vastly superior) is a losing proposition. This is not the same as Xbox multiplatform strategy since by now everybody assumes all Xbox games will end up on PlayStation.

[Sigma]

Thought about the thread title for a bid and came to the conclusion that yes I would.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I am already effectively out of the Sony ecosystem.

I still have my BC games from PS4, so I'll probably end up getting PS5/PS5 Pro in the future after price drops, but I am in no hurry to do so, and it would merely be for me to regain access to the games on my account.

RCU005

I'm amazed how many people have $1,000+ to buy a gaming PC instead of spending $500 to buy a PS5. Even if PS Studios became PC only, and the most amazing games came only to PC, I wouldn't be able to get a gaming PC good enough to run the games. Somehow, many people complain about $500 consoles.

OT: I believe PC is in no way bad for PlayStation. I think they are two different markets, and PlayStation could still sell many consoles. Also, if software is what gives them money to recoup for console costs, then it's beneficial for them to have many more people to play their games.

I used to think that PlayStation releasing games on PC would benefit Xbox more than anyone, since Microsoft practically "owns" PC software, but it's not the case, and the state Xbox is right now, even less.

What bothers me, is that they announced the PS5 saying the SSD is something unlike anything else in the market including PC, yet, 4 years later, there hasn't been one single game that utilize the SSD properly. Now that PC has caught up to that claim, there also hasn't been one PC game that does something truly innovative with the SSD (innovative world design, zero pop-ins, etc). It has only been used for shorter loading times.

So, there is no uniqueness of consoles as it used to be. I think the PS3 was something great, but sadly something difficult to work on.

I wonder if they will ever consider an ARM based console. Would that a good option?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No. I have been playing on consoles since forever, I'm just more comfortable playing on consoles and PC still doesn't get some of the games I care about like Vanillaware games.....I honestly see no reason to switch to PC.

Last edited:

Filben

No. I still prefer consoles for couch coop/splitscreen games. Also, DualSense support on PC is still not a given. And if games do support, it's often in a weird state, lacking either haptic feedback or adaptive triggers or both. For example The Witcher 3, which got official DualSense support with the latest big update, still don't have haptic feedback while riding on the horse. The list of games with perfect DualSense is getting bigger, but it's not there yet.

Also: Stutter struggle. There are some games that no matter what just stutter on PC, with the console counterpart running stutter free. For those instances, I still prefer the console.

Mithos

If AMD/Nvidia drops the prices on GPU's so you can upgrade every other GPU generation without breaking bank, then YES.
If prices on GPU's stay what they are or gets more expensive, then NO.

realcool

if they go from "the best place to play" to "well, about that 'best place to play' thing..." then i am become pc, the enjoyer of ports.

Mobilemofo

Not really singling you out, there’s a lot of no posts like this but..

How would you still buy PlayStation’s if they’re not producing them any more?

The current strategy only leads to declining console sales which leads to less support for the console which leads to even less sales and no more consoles because it’s not sustainable.

Sony’s killing its own platform and they don’t have the excuse that nobody’s tried this before.
I'll go retro, in case Sony does kill themselves or become greedy greedy bastards. I mean, I'm a playstation guy, but they certainly aren't beyond criticism. Not at all. They have made numerous fuckups. I certainly don't want another "PS3 attitude" problem..

Ridaxan

I prefer playing on pc so I would definitely probably not end up buying future Playstation consoles if this was the strategy. I'm already playing the "wait for pc version" strategy when it comes to third party exclusives like the Final Fantasy series. I want to play it on pc at higher detail and higher framerates.

Crayon

Would certainly still get one because of my wife but I am pretty sure I would get one anyway. It really depends on where it hits with my pc upgrade needs though. That's probably the biggest factor. Well, also I have a few friends on it that I rarely play with but am glad when I do.

Fbh

Are you me? Next you'll tell me your country with weak currency is also Brazil.

No, but Chile isn't too far away lol.
The CLP has gone to absolute shit in the last decade. Day 1 games during the early Ps4 era were like 35.000 clp, now they are usually between 65.000 - 75.000, pretty much twice as much as they used to be. It's the main reason I almost never buy games day 1 anymore. People in the US complained about a $10 increase, they don't know how good they have it.

And that's why regional pricing is becoming all the more important. And I can imagine it's the same in Brazil and many other developing nations.

Like compare Helldivers 2:
PSN Chile: Around $42.000 clp + $71.000 clp for a year of Ps+ so you can actually play it
Steam Chile: $28.000 clp...that's it.

Ghost of Tsushima right now (since it's not on sale on either platform)
PSN Chile: $73.000 clp (add in the cost of PS+ if you want to play the online part)
Steam Chile where it JUST came out: $42.000 clp

Heavily depends on if PC-hw gets more affordable. Nvidia running away with their success has them rightfully made greedy. AMD is like MS in gaming; next gen will be the one we finally compete... so Intel might be even more able to really challenge Nvidia, but do they really want or are they also eager to just follow along with 999 and above cards? Currently AI products seem to be the latest fashion, but asking formerly Quadro like prices for any GPU seems also be lucrative enough to not abandon that market. I'd just want to see a real 1650 successor, then I might again look at PC gaming and not roll my eyes at their prices and diminishing returns performance.

gamer82

nah pcs are to expensive to get into all the parts needed to get the best performance ,plus i like to relax on the sofa and game and dont want a bulky pc sitting under my tv. i dont trust running windows on my oled as its my main tv i have already had my screen replaced for burn in :-(

Last edited:

Loope

I don't have one. If i did (and i do love pc gaming) i would buy a console all the same, the reasons why many people buy a console are still there, it doesn't matter if you have exclusives or not.

mdkirby

The only way I see this happening with majority of their releases is if they release their own pc store front, all games go to psn pc day one. Then 18months later go to steam/epic

marquimvfs

No, just like releasing games day one on pc didn't stoped ALL people from buying Xbox. I'm a retired pc gamer and, despite still having a pc, the convenience of a console is unbeatable. I believe that the reduction in sales is possible, but not great to the point of harming the business for them. Still, a reduction is a reduction, and i don't belive they will so something like that, unless the pc market grow enormously for them in the future.

Nydius

Gold Member
Yes. I’m already on the cusp of this being my last console generation (Nintendo excluded) because Microsoft already drops their games on PC and most PlayStation games come to PC eventually. Because most of the games I really enjoy on PlayStation are deep single player titles, there’s little to no real FOMO for waiting. If I had only had a gaming PC and had to wait a year and a half for Horizon Forbidden West, I really wouldn’t have missed anything during the wait.

If they started offering them day one, why would I bother with proprietary hardware and a paywall online service ever again? There’d be zero point outside of physical games - but the frequent, deep, PC sales and gray market key sites make console physical less appealing as well.

Top Bottom