• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What stops Valve from making a home console?

ScHlAuChi

They did - it failed miserably:

Alienware-Steam-Machine-Buyers-Guide.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Consoles are much more expensive to produce and make.

Although, I do think they are in a much better position to do so now. Just make custom GPUs that are more powerful than those in the Steam deck.

Power Pro

they tried steam machines, no one cared.

pc gamers want pcs, console gamers want consoles
Wasn't that more of a licensing thing? They licensed out the steam name to PC manufacturers to make linux boxes for them. It was a bit too soon also, because the compatibility with Steam OS wasn't quite there yet. Think it might be a bit more compelling now seeing as how much more compatible games are with things like Steam Deck now.

I think part of the problem also was they were pricing those things too much like PCs and not consoles.

DaGwaphics

Nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if they give it another shot since the bottom of the GPU market has basically stopped advancing.

The last attempt with the third-party Steam boxes failed because they were just cobbled together OEM PCs. If they tried it again, I'm sure they'd go the SteamDeck route and build the hardware themselves to keep the costs down and limit things to one config.

what would motivate valve to make a home console? what would justify valve making a home console? why in the hell would valve even be interested in making a home console?...

look at ms. the home console thing is in no way a sure bet. quite the contrary...

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

uGziVut.jpg

Still have mine, it’s amazing for emulation and the recent newish game

ALIENWARE ALPHA R2, 3.4 (base) to 4GHz (boost) Full desktop intel 6700 i7 ( upgraded from original 2.8Ghz i7 6700t )

Thermal grizzly cryonaut thermal paste used.

1TB SSD/128GB NVME SSD

Windows 10 installed on nvme ssd for fastest boot

16GB DDR4

Dedicated GTX960

upgraded 330watt power brick for Alpha R2 from original 180watt power brick

wifi/bluetooth built in

Outputs Hdmi/display port

8x usb in (4 on alpha r2 + 4 on amplifier)

ALIENWARE AMPLIFIER with 460watt dedicated power supply, 1660 super installed.

Last edited:

SHA

An RTX 4090 paired with r9 7950 on a single die would be a killer product, I'm certain on AMD part everything looks straight forward, not sure with Nvidia cause it goes against AIBs market but I don't think it's a real issue if they give it a little thought cause of bfg and evga, everything leads to consolidation.

DaGwaphics

what would motivate valve to make a home console? what would justify valve making a home console? why in the hell would valve even be interested in making a home console?...

look at ms. the home console thing is in no way a sure bet. quite the contrary...

Why did they build the SteamDeck?

They want to sell Software on their store. They wouldn't be trying to compete with the traditional consoles, or have exclusive content. If they sold 5 or 10m they'd be fine with that. The units would serve the purpose of being a cheap way to access the Steam store. There was a time when you could build a credible low-end PC for $350 - $400, without using used parts. That's harder to do today and their isn't much advancement in the low-end GPU segment. It makes absolutely zero difference if you consider this a pre-built PC or a console LOL, it would be purpose built, bespoke hardware just like the deck.

Last edited:

Zathalus

They can do it but I doubt it will sell well. The Steam Deck offers portability, which a regular PC or even a laptop cannot match. What advantage does a Steam console offer over a small form factor PC?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They can do it but I doubt it will sell well. The Steam Deck offers portability, which a regular PC or even a laptop cannot match. What advantage does a Steam console offer over a small form factor PC?
What is Series S or X offering? I want to play my entire PC catalog on tv without so much hassle, so here I am, a potential buyer.

DaGwaphics

Likely performance per dollar and ease of use. Some users don't like to build PCs or find the costs of pre-built gaming PCs prohibitive. Even buying the cheapest HP or Dell off the shelf and adding the cheapest modern GPU available would probably be quite a bit more expensive. As for ease of use, you have a lot of game devs creating ready to go profiles specifically for the Deck, you'd get the same with this type of device.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The Deck is the 4th console. It's a hybrid console. I'll stop being an 'idiot' once you can easily open up a Deck and replace the custom GPU and ram.
So most laptop PCs are consoles (yes, some you can upgrade, but many models, for decades, you couldn't, not "easily")? Better tell Intel and all companies making (NUC and similar) mini PCs that they aren't PCs! Non upgradable PCs have always been a thing. Guess you'll never stop. Good luck 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, here's a fairly easy way to upgrade your Deck GPU. There are other more fiddly ways (nothing anyone who has built PCs can't figure out if they want to of course). Now sure you said "replace" but many desktop CPUs have integrated GPU, people don't "replace" those, just add a dedicated.

Last edited:

Zathalus

What is Series S or X offering? I want to play my entire PC catalog on tv without so much hassle, so here I am, a potential buyer.
They are consoles. SteamOS PC will not be a console. Instead of having less hassle you will instead have more. A small form factor PC with Windows will currently have better compatibility, less configuring, and better support then any potential SteamOS PC. Maybe that changes in future, but certainly not now.

Buying a prebuilt SFF PC to plug into your TV is as easy as ordering online and waiting for delivery. Windows will already be configured by the manufacturer so all you would need to do is to install Steam.

Why did they build the SteamDeck?

They want to sell Software on their store. They wouldn't be trying to compete with the traditional consoles, or have exclusive content. If they sold 5 or 10m they'd be fine with that. The units would serve the purpose of being a cheap way to access the Steam store. There was a time when you could build a credible low-end PC for $350 - $400, without using used parts. That's harder to do today and their isn't much advancement in the low-end GPU segment.
the steam deck simply lets you play pc games. it's a cheap, portable pc. i'm not sure what you're saying. that they should build an equivalent 'under your tv' model? consoles require that game developers design a version of their game that meets the specific specs of the consoles. any kind of custom pc valve does make or might make wouldn't really fall into this category. they're fundamentally non-upgradable pcs that meet current existent pc specs, & play pc software...

ShadowLag

I think they're going to position the Steam Deck as their "console". It's literally a PC-based Switch, including having its own official TV dock. They'll iterate on that some more going forward and emulate Nintendo's strategy (and games, amirite?).

Holammer

People bringing up the old Steam Machine? Please stop, there's only so much stupid I can take. It was eight years ago and it was a low energy mistake to combat MS trying to rope users into a closed ecosystem. If they take another stab at the concept today? They will design their own machine around a custom AMD SoC, just like MS and Sony do. With similar specs and performance, but running on SteamOS and being entirely open so you can do whatever you want with it. No jailbreak required.

If they made such a device in a console form factor, I think there's a market for it and it gives developers a baseline to develop for.

SenkiDala

I hear people talking about Steam machines but yes it wasn't the right moment, I think that now if they try again it could work better, at a price range of 500/600€$ it would be ok. They shouldn't try again to make dozens of machines like last time, just 1 Steam Machine made by Valve with their now quite capable Steam OS, it would work. Sure if other brands like MSI, ASUS or others wanna make their own why not (like Legion Go / Rob Ally) but the Valve main focus should be their own polished machine.

Would be niche at first but it could rise.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What separates console makers like Nintendo and Playstation consoles from Steam consoles is that both have IPs people want to play.

Iced Arcade

isn't much money if any in hardware. Sony for example needs to make a platform so it can make profits off software sales. Valve has a grasp on the PC market and makes boat loads of cash.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Pro Tip. you can make that console yourself at anytime!

- this has been a robfu super obvious pro tip-

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

the steam deck simply lets you play pc games. it's a cheap, portable pc. i'm not sure what you're saying. that they should build an equivalent 'under your tv' model? consoles require that game developers design a version of their game that meets the specific specs of the consoles. any kind of custom pc valve does make or might make wouldn't really fall into this category. they're fundamentally non-upgradable pcs that meet current existent pc specs, & play pc software...

Is this a distinction that matters, no, not at all. LOL

If they built a console-esque unit with XSX/PS5 like performance (6650XT/7600 range basically) and could get it out the door for $400 or $500 dollars they'd have some takers. They'd fill a gap in the PC market for entry-level hardware. A 7600 and an 8 core processor would cost you just about as much just for the two pieces and you'd still have a case, PSU, MB, Memory and an SSD to buy. Plus you have to put it together or pay someone else to do that for you. Valve would have a nice price advantage because they wouldn't be looking for a profit from the units, it'd be more of a break-even thing.

ThisIsMyDog

You don't know what HDMI cable is? You can plug it to TV and the other side to your PC, then just buy xbox gamepad and there you go.

hqdefault.jpg

bender

What time is it?
For as streamlined as the Deck UX is, it is still pretty clunky and why these products will always be more niche.

TrebleShot

Build it and they will come.
Nah but seriously steam deck has a dock basically making it a console.

But they will likely make one. In the meantime as others said you can build one.

Shame about windows though it’s a fucking mess for gaming.

Guilty_AI

What separates console makers like Nintendo and Playstation consoles from Steam consoles is that both have IPs people want to play.
tbf so does valve. But i doubt they'd follow usual console business here if they were to try their hand at it again, much like the Steam Deck.

Top Bottom