• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should Nintendo's Next Console Feature/Be?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Tegra#Orin

Although it's likely a (sort of) semi custom variant with all the car stuff taken out and possibly on a slightly better Samsung node.

In the end, expect roughly Base PS4 performance although the CPU should be better.
I believe a ps4 levelled Switch like console with a better cpu is great for Nintendo. They could do a lot more with Pokémon , Zelda, for example. 3rd party support would continue as well.

Now let’s say it’s steam deck level in portable and ps4 pro in docked, they’ll blow away people minds with more amazement.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A real next gen console. Enough of this gimmicky ass shit. Go back to Gamecube style and compete on a power level.

This but also a better handheld, and enhanced version of the games on the 20+ TF console of course.

Make it expandable with a doc / co-processor. No need to keep changing 100M handhelds to keep up with ports / tv resolutions when that cost can be borne by those who want it and not impact entry price / battery life.

Or just make a compatible home console with more ram and grunt.

dano1

A Sheep
Lol, even a 12tflop console is struggling to do 4k 60fps, at this point we should expect full 1080 to 1440p at most, especially if they stick with the handheld hybrid angle
Those are almost 3 years old already! Technology is still improving.

reinking

Gold Member
I know I am odd man out but I wish they would just make a better form factor portable. It can still connect to TV but I miss having a true pocket-sized gaming system.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I just want them to keep the same philosophy

- Maximum third-party support like Switch and PS2.

- Video games and library with Mature I.P.S

- Keep Region Free

- Maintain Survival Horror games and Visual Novels.

- Try games on VR.

Nintendo beat me with Switch and I trust them.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
As for VR, I would want that to happen with Switch 3 since that could output in 4k
A game like Pokemon in VR would be great.

I want a gravity rush VR. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

HzRlPSX.jpg

Bridges

If it plays my current Switch games and plugs into my TV then I don't care what else it does really, I'm gonna get it..

..okay I guess even if it doesn't I'll still get it too because I'm a mark

mcjmetroid

I think Nintendo's best course of action is to go all in on DLSS or AI upscaling technology.
They won't have the most powerful hardware again. It'll probably be more like a xbox OneX in power. I think though having something that upscales everything to 4k without much GPU or CPU power will be good enough.

Most of my issues with switch games isn't so much how lacking of graphical detail the ports are.. More that they look like blurry messes and I can't handle that.

Hudo

Backwards compatibility should be the default for every platform that has an online/digital ecosystem. So I at least expect BC.

StereoVsn

I just want more powerful Switch with full BC that would run older games with variable res/fps better by default. Let's have some DLSS on it as well.

Plus hall effect on joycons for no drift, and faster cartridge reads. Hell, they could keep it 720p OLED and it would be ok as long as games actually hit that res. 1080p with DLSS could be doable as well.

Since this is Nintendo, above probably won't happen in a reasonable manner and instead they will throw in some stupid gimmick.

Rat Rage

The next "big feature" or rather featureS of the Switch 2 should be fixing all the fucking problems of the existing Switch.

Biggest problems so far:

- Joycon, while comfortable to hold and conceptually great, suck fucking ass when it comes to quality. Poor build quality (especially for the price Nintendo is asking), stick drift, connection problems (interference) when in a room with multiple Joycon.

- Not enough hardware power, so that all games can run at a stable 60 fps in 1080p in both handheld and TV mode.

- No good first party D-Pad. How on earth wasn't Nintendo able to develop a single excellent D-Pad for the Switch and its first party peripherals? They fucking inventend the D-Pad and had the best ones in all of their previous consoles.

- Poor online services and servers.

All of this can fairly easily be fixed.

Hmm

-PS4 graphics and dlss
-16/24 GB of ram
-1080p

Different variations (now the screen is also detachable)

-Home: no screen, no joycons. Only dock and pro controller.

-Go: screen, joycons. No dock.

-Family: screen, joycons and dock (like normal switch).

Maybe the battery is in the same module as the screen.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm curious to see what they come up with. I really have no idea what it's gonna be.

Sethbacca

Stop putting shit nobody gonna use in the controllers and put more of the budget into power. That and they should play safe and just do a switch 2 with a similar form factor instead of attempting to do something new and crazy.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Console generations are all about what you couldn’t do the previous generation, Nintendo network is the worst, I think everyone knows that.

Power Pro

I know this is unlikely as hell, but me personally? I'd like a device like the Switch, that is portable and can be Switched to the TV, but the dock has some form of processing power behind it. The portable nature of the Switch I think is required for them to maintain their momentum into the next platform, but the restrictions of being only portable is also what might hold them back from actually being able to improve upon the platform much and keep it reasonably priced. That's why I think maybe something that has a non-portable processor that is meant to stay in the dock only might allow for the best of both worlds.

I don't know, this might be totally unrealistic, and I'm just having thoughts on what I think would work.

Gametrek

Banned
1. Just offer people a lower price by sending their old consoles in, with the box off course. Discounts will be given based on original packaging shipped back. So we are all box-collectors now.

2. Admit the NDS was not the way to go. Make it backwards compatible with the original Gameboy cartridges. I am pretty sure the tech is out there.
Make it look like the Gameboy on purpose. Repackage the switch as a gameboy unit with Gameboy slots, and adapters for the switch cards.

3. Just make an official emulator and offer people all access and ability to purchase content digitally.

4. Bring back the Wii. Allow people to use their modified consoles and produce Wii games with a Wii store app. Shockwave emulation anybody?

5. Make public apology for banning competitions on Wii. Promote Switch content in Wii competitions. Port switch content to Wii units.

6. Actually make official mods for Wii games and that is DLC.

7. Just make the next-console into a transforming Arwing with Starfox installed with all Amibo options.

tr1p1ex

b/c and a nice spec increase were a given.

I think Labo VR tells you what the Switch 2 could be in addition to being a handheld/console/tabletop. And it lives up to the Switch name.

Last edited:

lordrand11

What are we all expecting Nintendo's next piece of hardware to perform like? Also, should we expect an online party chat system? What about Backwards compatibility?

In a comparison perspective let's look at hardware specs:

Nintendo Switch
GPU -
Docked (768.0Mhz): 393Gflops (fp32)
Portable (307.2Mhz): 157Gflops (fp32)
https://thegamingsetup.com/console-power-comparison-chart
CPU -ARM 4 Cortex-A57 cores @ 1.02 GHz
Storage - ... Lite 32gb ... Standard 64GB
Battery Life (handheld) - Depends on console and game ...lite 3-7 hours ... standard 4-9
Ram - 4 GB LPDDR4 @ 1331/1600 MHz

Steam Deck (https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech)
GPU -GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
CPU - Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
RAM - 16 GB LPDDR5 on-board RAM (5500 MT/s quad 32-bit channels)
Storage - 64GB, 256GB (NVME SSD), and 512GB (NVME SSD)

Xbox One
GPU - Durango 1.31 teraflops
CPU - AMD "Jaguar" Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) with two quad-core modules totaling eight x86-64 cores clocked at 1.75 GHz
Ram - 8 GB of DDR3 RAM with a memory bandwidth of 68.3 GB/s

PlayStation 4
GPU - Liverpool 1.84 Teraflops
CPU- 2 MB L2 cache per four-core module. The CPU's base clock speed is said to be 1.6 GHz
RAM - 8GB GDDR5
It should be a dock that allows some type of either upscaling or graphical power increase similar to the eGPU docks we have nowadays, personally I think that would be a solid move for nintendo while keeping the portability a factor.

I know this is unlikely as hell, but me personally? I'd like a device like the Switch, that is portable and can be Switched to the TV, but the dock has some form of processing power behind it. The portable nature of the Switch I think is required for them to maintain their momentum into the next platform, but the restrictions of being only portable is also what might hold them back from actually being able to improve upon the platform much and keep it reasonably priced. That's why I think maybe something that has a non-portable processor that is meant to stay in the dock only might allow for the best of both worlds.

I don't know, this might be totally unrealistic, and I'm just having thoughts on what I think would work.
Shid I was thinking it will be the same exact thing but stronger , so u saying they’re going back to home consoles?

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Twice as powerful.
8GB RAM (2x bandwidth)
Same 7" OLED - 720p portable, 1080p docked.
Old joy con compatible.

IMO 3D OLED screen will be great gimmick with modern technology. 720p 3D portable, 1080p in 2D docked.

Top Bottom