• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should Nintendo's Next Console Feature/Be?

What are we all expecting Nintendo's next piece of hardware to perform like? Also, should we expect an online party chat system? What about Backwards compatibility?

In a comparison perspective let's look at hardware specs:

Nintendo Switch
GPU -
Docked (768.0Mhz): 393Gflops (fp32)
Portable (307.2Mhz): 157Gflops (fp32)
https://thegamingsetup.com/console-power-comparison-chart
CPU -ARM 4 Cortex-A57 cores @ 1.02 GHz
Storage - ... Lite 32gb ... Standard 64GB
Battery Life (handheld) - Depends on console and game ...lite 3-7 hours ... standard 4-9
Ram - 4 GB LPDDR4 @ 1331/1600 MHz

Steam Deck (https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech)
GPU -GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
CPU - Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
RAM - 16 GB LPDDR5 on-board RAM (5500 MT/s quad 32-bit channels)
Storage - 64GB, 256GB (NVME SSD), and 512GB (NVME SSD)

Xbox One
GPU - Durango 1.31 teraflops
CPU - AMD "Jaguar" Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) with two quad-core modules totaling eight x86-64 cores clocked at 1.75 GHz
Ram - 8 GB of DDR3 RAM with a memory bandwidth of 68.3 GB/s

PlayStation 4
GPU - Liverpool 1.84 Teraflops
CPU- 2 MB L2 cache per four-core module. The CPU's base clock speed is said to be 1.6 GHz
RAM - 8GB GDDR5

Last edited:

Commanderson

Neo Member
Like all things Nintendo it’ll be different but the same at the same time. Therefore stronger switch that can read switch cartridges but also super switch cartridges

diffusionx

Gold Member
mK6xpRe.jpg

it's time

What are we all expecting Nintendo's next piece of hardware to perform like? Also, should we expect an online party chat system? What about Backwards compatibility?

Nintendo Switch
GPU - GM20B 500TF (docked) 393.2 (handheld) ... Source https://thegamingsetup.com/console-power-comparison-chart
CPU -ARM 4 Cortex-A57 cores @ 1.02 GHz
Storage - ... Lite 32gb ... Standard 64GB
Battery Life (handheld) - Depends on console and game ...lite 3-7 hours ... standard 4-9
Ram - 4 GB LPDDR4 @ 1331/1600 MHz

Steam Deck (https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech)
GPU -GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
CPU - Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
RAM - 16 GB LPDDR5 on-board RAM (5500 MT/s quad 32-bit channels)
Storage - 64GB, 256GB (NVME SSD), and 512GB (NVME SSD)

Xbox One
GPU - Durango 1.31 teraflops
CPU - AMD "Jaguar" Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) with two quad-core modules totaling eight x86-64 cores clocked at 1.75 GHz
Ram - 8 GB of DDR3 RAM with a memory bandwidth of 68.3 GB/s

PlayStation 4
GPU - Liverpool 1.84 Teraflops
CPU- 2 MB L2 cache per four-core module. The CPU's base clock speed is said to be 1.6 GHz
RAM - 8GB GDDR5
Nintendo can do all of that and then underclock it for the sake of longer battery life

Gobjuduck

Banned
Gimmick - a screen that can flip and swivel, like a a dslr. So you can just put it in your pocket without scratching it.

Form/function - Switch lite size console that is as powerful as a ps4/Xbox one. Connects into a magnetic plug (no dock)

Software - 3ds like social integration and game tracking. addition of achievements and themes.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

If nintendo's next console is portable it will be DOA if they keep making games for switch 1.
Casual masses won't see any reason to upgrade if switch 1 keeps getting games as well.

Also IF portable, I want it to be $400+ packed with hardware power.
Give a DAMN GOOD reason to *ahem* switch.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My (I think) reasonable wishlist is:

1+ TFLOP of GPU performance (like half of Steamdeck)
Newer gen ARM CPU
Nvidia DLSS magic
Backward compatibility

No idea what we'll actually get though. Nintendo loves chaos.

ahtlas7

I would be happy with cleaner graphics and faster loading. BotW really has taught me to sit through loading again:(
I also like the idea brought forward of glasses free 3D.

Stratostar

All I’m expecting is sub-Xbox One level power with the new “feature” being some stupid shit like a bendable screen.
In other words, I expect nothing, so I can’t be disappointed.

Last edited:
I expect it to be considerably weaker than what everyone here is hoping, and that it won't have DLSS. 100% sub Xbox One levels of power. It will also have some sort of gimmick and it will obviously focus on handheld features but with the capability to dock.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
All they need to produce is a stronger, better Switch. It's a great little console, and I see absolutely zero reason for them to make many changes to the formula.

Let's face it, they've failed dismally before, when they've tried to mix things up after a hugely successful console generation, so it'd be very foolish of them to tinker too much with the Switch's form factor and capabilities.

The main thing is to make sure it releases with as many brand new first party games as possible.

Zannegan

Nintendo Switch
GPU - GM20B 500TF (docked) 393.2 (handheld) ... Source https://thegamingsetup.com/console-power-comparison-chart
Those numbers are wrong. Even .5TF/500GB is too high for docked. That's what the Switch would be doing at full clocks, but Nintendo has limited performance, possibly to keep docked performance more in line with handheld performance. 393.2 sounds about right for a docked Switch though.

Those numbers are wrong. Even .5TF/500GB is too high for docked. That's what the Switch would be doing at full clocks, but Nintendo has limited performance, possibly to keep docked performance more in line with handheld performance. 393.2 sounds about right for a docked Switch though.
Then give the source I can credit and change it to, because I went on the websites I posted

Mithos

Then give the source I can credit and change it to, because I went on the websites I posted
Not a source per se but some specs about the Nintendo Switch and its power/performance.

Nvidia Tegra X1 @ 1ghz is 512Gflops (fp32).

Switch is using the Tegra X1, however it not running at 1Ghz. The Switch is running the GPU @ 786Mhz docked, and 307.2Mhz portable, this makes it have ~393Gflops (fp32) docked, and ~157Gflops portable (fp32)

How you calculate this is as follows.

2 x Shader Count x Frequency / 1000;
This becomes: 2 x 256 CUDA cores x 768Mhz or 307.2Mhz / 1000

Nintendo have since the release add more MODES for developers to use both in docked* and portable* mode, but 768MHz docked is still the upper limit officially.

* I've heard about 384Mhz and 460Mhz modes, there might be more modes but haven't really heard anything about it if so.

Last edited:

kondorBonk

Mobility needs to be there somewhere. Its a core part of their identity ever since the gameboy and the more recent merger of their handheld/home has improved their output. I don't see them reverting back.

I don't think it will be this generation. I think we still need some larger companies perfecting it first but, as soon as cloud becomes an actual viable option, they will be early to adopt.

I just don't see a Switch 2.0 exactly. As smart as it would be... they are going to do something different to add more gameplay options.

Personally, I would like the Duo home console idea. Bascially the switch being a controller kinda like the WiiU but continues to exist as a switch. Docking it with the home base increasing its power and allowing asymmetric gameplay which never felt fully explored with the WiiU.

Some of the games that let you draw and use the WiiU gamepad were a lot of fun and Nintendo has a massive backlog of games with U.I. that utilize that idea back from he original DS,.

Last edited:

beanoboy7

Realistically should be a Xbox One Pro/PS4 Pro level of performance docked. These systems were released in 2016 (7 years ago), and no question the costs have gone down and efficiency has gone up. 4K docked, 1080P in handheld.

Bigger question is what Nintendo does about the cartridges. They remain way too expensive.

just want dlss, better controllers, and good games.

surround sound options other than LPCM 5.1 would be nice too.

you know what, also throw in a wacky proprietary storage format.

ok fine, make the dock modular so extra chips can be added, like they used to put in cartridges back in the day.

might as well bring back streetpass.

Xyphie

CPU: 8x ARM cores
GPU: ~8-12 SM Ampere GPU (~3-4.5TF) with 128-bit bus
RAM: 8GB LPDDR5X
64-128GB eMMC
~8" 60Hz 1080p IPS LCD with VRR

Not a source per se but some specs about the Nintendo Switch and its power/performance.

Nvidia Tegra X1 @ 1ghz is 512Gflops (fp32).

Switch is using the Tegra X1, however it not running at 1Ghz. The Switch is running the GPU @ 786Mhz docked, and 307.2Mhz portable, this makes it have ~393Gflops (fp32) docked, and ~157Gflops portable (fp32)

How you calculate this is as follows.

2 x Shader Count x Frequency / 1000;
This becomes: 2 x 256 CUDA cores x 768Mhz or 307.2Mhz / 1000

Nintendo have since the release add more MODES for developers to use both in docked* and portable* mode, but 768MHz docked is still the upper limit officially.

* I've heard about 384Mhz and 460Mhz modes, there might be more modes but haven't really heard anything about it if so.
🫡

Top Bottom