• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What original games do you enjoy more than their remakes?

Not quite. You have the addition of the invincible enemy to pester the player at various points in the game. You have the gasoline management and corpse disposal (otherwise they come back forever as more aggressive versions later on). You have the door that breaks after two uses. You have the zombies following the player to the next location. You have an instant kill boss. You have defensive items. You also cannot rely on one bullet beheadings with the shotgun. :(
I meant how it's still a fixed camera survival horror and not like the utter disaster that was RE2 Demake changing to lame as hell over the shoulder action.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
5fHIigz.jpg

Enjoyed playing the remake. But man I have so many memories playing the original.

Plus the select map glitch. :)

Laptop1991

Mafia 1, the trains and trams use to move
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is better than the Old Blood
and of course San Andreas with mods is better than the remastered version

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Demon's Souls for me. The remake didn't click with me.

Loved the RE remakes tho, as I never got used to the controls in the original ones.

Laieon

5fHIigz.jpg

Enjoyed playing the remake. But man I have so many memories playing the original.

Plus the select map glitch. :)

Links Awakening

I like the art style of the remake a ton, but its a shame that (as far as I'm aware) it never received a performance patch. Nintendo are usually wizards at optimizing their games for the Switch, but Link's Awakening runs surprisingly bad for what it is.

Last edited:

Thabass

It all felt like a game that SSX fans were too forgiving of because they were starving for a new entry, and in hindsight, it just seemed like a game trying too hard to fit a square peg into the round hole that was SSX 1-3, but not understanding what made those games so special.
While I do love the original SSX games, I actually thought the new one was way better in terms of controls. It made a lot more sense to use dual analogs for almost everything.

Back to the topic at hand:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask

I did not like the 3DS versions at all. The only thing I liked about them was that I could play them on the go. The original games are far superior in every single way. I hated the animations, art style, updated designs. Everything about them I could not stand.

Codes 208

The better question is what remake is better than the original? For convenience, Id rather play a game like majoras mask 3d over the original because i prefer the newer controls and better graphics, but everything else is inferior to the original.

I think the only remakes i legitimately prefer over the original are some of the pokemon titles like heart gold and omega ruby

But even a game like halo cea feels inferior because of the godawful saturated color choices and art design changes made to forerunner tech.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Resident Evil.

REmake is obviously superior in most way but I still prefer the OG.

Barry is also infinitely better in OG, too much of a bastard/villain in REmake, borders on the edge of being irredeemable. His inner strife is handled better in the OG and the fact that REV2 model/personality is based off the OG game backs my preference.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Many people here are mistaking remasters and remakes.

Anyway my answer for this would be... They are not the same games, the only exemple of a remake that I felt is really worst than the original is Twin Snakes. The art direction of every MGS series and the cinematic are very classy, very artistic, there's a vision. Twin Snakes is just a b series level of direction and art direction, it was quite ridiculous.

But all other remakes... Well they are "modernized" versions. Let's take the RE2/3/4 remakes, they are all AWESOME games, top tier in their genre, but it doesn't make the OGs unplayable to me, they are different games and I can have as much fun playing original RE2 than the remake, it's just different feeling.

I think OG games that are unplayable are games than you didn't experience on their time, or worst, games that came out when you weren't even born. I am born just when the Atari 2600 died, and even though I played some Pitfall at a moment of my life and recognized it is a great game, I've no... "inner feeling" for it. But NES games and even better, SNES or PS1 games I feel sooo good playing them, I could spend my life playing just those.

So yeah I love most remakes of games I originally loved (RE1/2/3/4, Demon's Souls, SotC, Dead Space, etc) but I do also love to play the OGs.
Great post. :messenger_beermugs:

Also, can we get a mod to add the bolded as a profile tag, lol.

Gojiira

Resident Evil 4 and Demon’s Souls. Two masterpieces misunderstood on their remakes.

Twin Snakes, RE Remake and TLOU Part 1 are superior products compared to the originals. Deal with it.
HAHA HAHAHA HAHA Fucking no…
If Twin Snakes was superior the gameplay would have been balanced around the mechanics like the original was, it would have had superior voice acting which it doesnt, and it would have superior music which IT FUCKING DOESNT…
Fuck off with this bullshit, Twin Snakes is the worst remake ever made, completely losing everything that was so good with the original.

tommib

HAHA HAHAHA HAHA Fucking no…
If Twin Snakes was superior the gameplay would have been balanced around the mechanics like the original was, it would have had superior voice acting which it doesnt, and it would have superior music which IT FUCKING DOESNT…
Fuck off with this bullshit, Twin Snakes is the worst remake ever made, completely losing everything that was so good with the original.
That’s like your opinion, man. I know, it’s not easy to see the sheer brilliance of Twin Sneakes. One day, you’ll be there. Stay strong.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The real question is: which remake have I enjoyed more the the original. I honestly can’t think of any. Every remake and remaster has been worse overall. It’s to the point where I still have every generation of PlayStation on active-duty in my home.

Maybe PS4 Shadow of the Colossus would be ok? The PS3 versions were “ok”.

I think the only one that should get the unanimous seal of approval is star ocean the second story R.

It’s the same game but with slightly updated visuals. They give you the option for original voices and music.

Watch I say that and here comes the one guy…..

The Stig

Metal Gear Solid.
same. while twin snakes was quite fun to play (despite some questionable changes) the original has a delivery and presentation that was so amazing for the time it just cant be beat (in my opinion, thats all)
Cutscenes were supervised by Kojima under direction of Kitamura. You don’t need to use the first-person “addition”.

Next question.
Not everything Kojima does is perfect, come on, man

That said I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I actually own 2 copies (PAL and NTSC) because I'm an international man of mystery

bender

What time is it?
Not everything Kojima does is perfect, come on, man.

Reminds me of George Lucas dicking with the Star Wars re-releases or Spielberg removing the guns from E.T. at least in the case of the latter, he later came to regret the decision.

The Stig

Reminds me of George Lucas dicking with the Star Wars re-releases or Spielberg removing the guns from E.T. at least in the case of the latter, he later came to regret the decision.
ack, I forgot about those "special" editions.................. damn that sucked.

Fable

Fable: The Lost Chapters had much better artstyle and aesthetics than Anniversary remake from 2012
Crap I just got that for series x on sale. So the of Xbox version is better or is that the pc version you are referring to? I played one of them on pc back in 2005 but didn't get very far. Revisiting a ton of games now as I never owned an Xbox.

Anyone know if dead space remake is worth it?
It's on sale. And if so ps5 or xbx? Guessing ps5 due to haptics.

Resident evil 1 and 2 remakes were amazing to me, imo.

Mafia 1, the trains and trams use to move
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is better than the Old Blood
and of course San Andreas with mods is better than the remastered version
Return to castle wolfenstien, the 2001 quake 3 engine game? That got a remake? Old blood wasn't that just a small dlc for wolfenstien new order? I don't recall that being a remake

Laptop1991

Return to castle wolfenstien, the 2001 quake 3 engine game? That got a remake? Old blood wasn't that just a small dlc for wolfenstien new order? I don't recall that being a remake
The old blood was a remake of parts of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, not a perfect one, or even all of it, but it still was.
It was a standalone dlc as well iirc, you didn't need The New Order to play it

Last edited:

Hero_Select

Majoras Mask is a great example. Baffling changes to the Zora swimming and some other weird changes like being able to use ice arrows to create platforms in only certain spots (thus trivializing puzzles). I do like a lot of the QOL changes but they took it too far.

FF7 is also a great example but I do love the Remake too, it's just VERY different and a sequel to the original in a lot of ways.

Most Pokemon remakes nowadays feels like, but the franchise as a whole is at an all-time low for a lot of people.

Dazraell

Crap I just got that for series x on sale. So the of Xbox version is better or is that the pc version you are referring to? I played one of them on pc back in 2005 but didn't get very far. Revisiting a ton of games now as I never owned an Xbox.

The difference is mostly in atmosphere and visual artstyle. Contentwise they're the same. I was referring to original version of the game released on first Xbox and PC. Lost Chapters had a very different artstyle than Anniversary remake, being much more whimsical in its presentation. Anniversary had some really odd models, especially faces. Lightning was also way too bright. This remake was developed on Unreal Engine 3 and it kinda looks like most of games we had on this engine, making it feel less like "Fable" in the process and impacting that whimsical feeling the original game had

Last edited:

Dazraell

Old Blood wasn't technically a remake of RTCW, but it does have something in common with it. It was a standalone expansion to The New Order which adapted first two missions from RTCW - the castle, the village and the mines areas, but did it very differently. The only thing they had in common were the locations and characters, the story and events happening in Old Blood were very different

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Super Mario RPG and... Diablo 2 Remake. To a lesser extent... RE4; but it's hard, because that Remake was really good and the original with the HD Remaster Project really are apples to oranges comparison. I like them both!

Top Bottom