• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What original games do you enjoy more than their remakes?

Mondai

This might not be the most popular opinions to hold but I vastly prefer playing the OG versions of Demon's Souls and Resident Evil 4. I'm not the remakes suck (I think both Demons and Resi 4 remakes are amazing) but I just find the og games more enjoyable to play for me. I've said this before but old games like that just have some special charm that remakes can't capture.

tommib

Resident Evil 4 and Demon’s Souls. Two masterpieces misunderstood on their remakes.

Twin Snakes, RE Remake and TLOU Part 1 are superior products compared to the originals. Deal with it.

Labadal

Most remakes that I can think of are worse than the original.

Trying to think of any that are better, the one that pops up in my head is Star Ocean: The Second Story R.

Hudo

Easiest question ever:
6853842.jpg

Fuck Blizzard.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m not sure if it counts, but I like Gunstar Heroes more than Gunstar Super Heroes.

Other than that, I liked Advance Wars 1 and 2 more than the Switch remake. And I probably like Link’s Awakening DX more than the remake, but that’s mostly through nostalgia goggles. When I actually play that game, I freaking hate pausing every 20 seconds to change weapons and items. Also probably RE4.

I really can’t think of anymore. This thread is making me realize I generally prefer remakes more than not. I even had ChatGPT generate a pretty full list of 100+ remakes over the last 20 years, and I prefer the remake on almost each one.

Huh. Learned something about myself. Thanks OP!

Last edited:
RE2 and RE4, but the remakes aren’t bad just more like sidegrades.

Edit just to throw my two cents in. I like Twin Snakes more than the original MGS because it puts the first game graphically and mechanically in the same gen as 2 and 3. The goofy cutscenes always seemed like a weird complaint because it also puts the first game more in line with the sequels which had a bunch of goofy shit, especially 4. Like I know some MGS fans that love 4 but hate TS and I don’t get it.

The only legit argument I feel is making the game easier with the FP view. But I like that it makes the game play like 2 and 3. Still I get why people would prefer the original. I think it’s really a preference thing, which is fine as they both exist.

Last edited:

Killer8

Half-life is far better than Black Mesa - even with BM's improvements to (some of) Xen.

Crash Bandicoot 1-3 - the collision boxes are more consistent in the originals so deaths feel fairer. Art also lost a lot of character in the remake.

Dark Souls initial release shits on Remastered, visually speaking.

Bluepoint really missed the mark with the Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls art direction. They are hopeless at character modelling.

3bDTwIx.png

Dead Space remake dropped the ball by re-casting Peter Mensah and re-writing him to be less of an asshole. Totally changes the tone of the character.

Father Nier > brother Nier.

Ninja Gaiden 2 for the blood and intensity that Sigma ruined. "BuT iT's ThE mOrE bAlaNcEd GaMe" - don't care, blood and absurd enemy counts = :messenger_ok:

Not sure if it counts(as some could think of it as a reimagining) but SSX (2012 edition).

hq720.jpg

I suggest people look up the behind the scenes of this game to understand why it felt like a Frankenstein project.

To sum it up, the first iteration of this game (when it was leaked) was going to be a more serious/gritty version of the SSX series and it consisted of modes that were more based on survival. It's been a while (so please correct me if I'm off) but if I recall correctly, when it was showed behind the scenes at a prior E3, it was met with confusion and a little bit of backlash. The devs backtracked a bit and decided to make it more fun like the older games, but what we ended up with was an odd mixture of old and new.

The worst aspect of this mixture was the fact that a lot of the courses and events felt like a giant step down from the crazy jumps, rails, and loops of the original trilogy. I suspect it's because they originally weren't built for this in the first place. This included the flow of the levels(level design), since there were a lot of small bunny hop ramps(where you could barely pull off tricks), turns that would break your flow, sudden stops, etc. Add a cast that had the personality sucked out of them and a soundtrack with dubstep that was a huge indicator of the flow of the courses themselves, and this is what you got.

It all felt like a game that SSX fans were too forgiving of because they were starving for a new entry, and in hindsight, it just seemed like a game trying too hard to fit a square peg into the round hole that was SSX 1-3, but not understanding what made those games so special.

It also felt like an out of touch 2012-2013 John Ricotello EA game(Keep in mind, around the same time Dead Space 3 came out and disappointed, Mass Effect 3 original version came out and disappointed, Fuse came out and disappointed, Medal of Honor: Warfighter came out and disappointed, Need 4 Speed Rivals came out and disappointed, etc).

There's a reason why SSX fans, over a decade+ later, still bring up Tricky and 3 over this game. I know some here won't like this post, but as a huge SSX fan who's even had fun with SSX On Tour, I've felt this way about the game since I first played it. To me, it's SSX in name only.

Edit: This including some of the examples above like GTA Trilogy, Mafia 1, Twin Snakes, Warcraft 3, etc. are why I think people are being way too harsh/nitpicky on the Resident Evil Remakes 2 and 4. Capcom did an amazing job to get the pacing and feeling of those games as close as possible to their originals in order to not ruin the essence of them. I can't say the same for some of the other examples listed as they veered slightly off the path or extremely off path to the point of insulting.

Last edited:

yansolo

ff 7 og i think is definitely a better game than the remake, even though the remake isnt fully complete yet i think the original will always have something over it, basing the whole game just in midgar was a mistake and there was way too much filler stuff

i prefer the fixed cam style of re 2/3 to the remakes but theyre pretty good too (maybe 3 remake not so much)

abes odyssey is definitely better than the remake, i think it looks better and the darker tone of the original is more to my tastes

the only remake i prefer is twin snakes to the original, i think it gets a lot of hate for no reason, ive had friends who have never played metal gear before try the original and end up dropping it because of how dated it looks and feels but ended up loving twin snakes.

im generally not a fan of this whole remake era were in but what can you do

IAmRei

It might be upset some, bluepoint's Demon souls is kind of souless imo, the artstyles is bugging me. final fantasy 7r is another unpopular opinion for me. there are lot of things such as the story changes or the gameplay aint my cup of tea.

Kuranghi

Factually incorrect, ridiculous cutscenes aside, game play additions like first person mode break the game balance.

Exactly, hanging ruins the tension of getting caught in nuclear warhead storage completely since you can just hang and drop when they chase you.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Wind Waker > Wind Waker HD

Cut down on the bloom on HD and its another story though.

Bioshock 1&2 are better vs remakes. They butcher the way water looks in the new version which is an issue in Bioshock, lol.

GTA III
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
None of these are remakes. They are remasters, which means nothing was made from scratch. Things may have been altered or added and resolutions bumped, but deep down they're the same.

And from what I understand, FF7 isn't either - it's an alternate meta-story masquerading as one.

SenkiDala

Many people here are mistaking remasters and remakes.

Anyway my answer for this would be... They are not the same games, the only exemple of a remake that I felt is really worst than the original is Twin Snakes. The art direction of every MGS series and the cinematic are very classy, very artistic, there's a vision. Twin Snakes is just a b series level of direction and art direction, it was quite ridiculous.

But all other remakes... Well they are "modernized" versions. Let's take the RE2/3/4 remakes, they are all AWESOME games, top tier in their genre, but it doesn't make the OGs unplayable to me, they are different games and I can have as much fun playing original RE2 than the remake, it's just different feeling.

I think OG games that are unplayable are games than you didn't experience on their time, or worst, games that came out when you weren't even born. I am born just when the Atari 2600 died, and even though I played some Pitfall at a moment of my life and recognized it is a great game, I've no... "inner feeling" for it. But NES games and even better, SNES or PS1 games I feel sooo good playing them, I could spend my life playing just those.

So yeah I love most remakes of games I originally loved (RE1/2/3/4, Demon's Souls, SotC, Dead Space, etc) but I do also love to play the OGs.

Top Bottom