• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the business case for Playstation Portal requiring a PS5?

Godot25

Banned
Or, you know, people who have families and will use their PS5 more because of it (or I can actually get to watch the TV because the kids can use Portal to play Genshin or whatever)

Are you actively ignoring the reasons why this device will be VERY useful to some? (And you call others fanboys? Pot, kettle, black)
No. But for lesser price i can buy a device that
- can access not only Remote Play but also other streaming services
- does not require me to buy headphones with proprietary connection
- can access full Android ecosystem so it is useful even outside of Remote play

And it's called Android tablet. I know. Revolutionary.
Or buy a Razor Kishi and hook it up with your phone. It's way cheaper and it's giving you more options.

PlayStation Portal would make sense if it was full fledged Android device and if it was able to stream PS5/PS4 games without need of PlayStation 5 console at home. I would buy one in a whim at that point.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Or buy a Razor Kishi and hook it up with your phone. It's way cheaper and it's giving you more options.
You have an 8 inch display on your phone? Nice

I also didn't realise that these phone and tablet attachments had dual sense controls, haptics, adaptive triggers, so that's cool.

Also, I just learned that a 3.5mm headphone jack is a proprietary connection so it's not just DF who are teaching me interesting things.

Why don't you just accept that other people want this? It's really weird. As my late father once said to me.. the world doesn't revolve around you son.

Yea no. That’s a massive undertaking and not worth it. That would split studios time and it’s already tough enough to get good games out.

Why do you think the Switch exists?
...and yet, they've made them before (psp iterations/Vita) and so have half a dozen other companies.

Also, is it really any more of an "undertaking" than what's being offered now?

Developers will make games like they've done for every other platform, so I'm not sure where you get the idea studios wouldn't have the time or wouldn't create new studios etc...
You do realise the games industry has been successfully diversifying for decades, right?

Pc gaming, console gaming, handhelds, streaming services, cloud, VR, sim rigs...all innovations of hardware and software.
Imagine, what kind of industry we'd have if everyone thought like you?

We'd still be playing Pong on the Atari.

Ultimately, the market will decide what is worthwhile and what is "not worth it".

P.S I'm not sure what the Switch has to do with it?

Are you saying because the Switch exists no one else should bother?

Last edited:

TrebleShot

This assumes the tech doesn’t evolve to then include from server streaming which it almost certainly will eventually.

Not sure why people can’t grasp that the device streams from console now but eventually will likely stream from whatever cloud service they launch.

Like PS5 it plays local games now but as they’ve beta tested already cloud gaming is coming.

It’s not a locked state . For a 8 inch screen , haptics and triggers, full size controls etc for 199 it’s pretty compelling.

Godot25

Banned
You have an 8 inch display on your phone? Nice

I also didn't realise that these phone and tablet attachments had dual sense controls, haptics, adaptive triggers, so that's cool.

Also, I just learned that a 3.5mm headphone jack is a proprietary connection so it's not just DF who are teaching me interesting things.

Why don't you just accept that other people want this? It's really weird. As my late father once said to me.. the world doesn't revolve around you son.
So let me get this straight...
...you are paying 199$ for option to use haptics and adaptive triggers?
...and for option to buy another PlayStation accessories if you dare to want to use headphones without wired connection?

Cool. I mean. Go for it. As I said. Only people who will be interested in this device are PlayStation fanboys. And considering fact that you are cheering for overpriced, limited device with proprietary wireless audio connection that requires you to spend additional 199,99$ it's clear sign in which camp you belong.

It sure as shit would not be better if this device had full fledged Android and support for Bluetooth audio and access to PlayStation cloud streaming right?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's a portable device designed to stream users games from the PS5.
That's it's business case

midnightAI

...and for option to buy another PlayStation accessories if you dare to want to use headphones without wired connection?

Cool. I mean. Go for it. As I said. Only people who will be interested in this device are PlayStation fanboys. And considering fact that you are cheering for overpriced, limited device with proprietary wireless audio connection that requires you to spend additional 199,99$ it's clear sign in which camp you belong.

It sure as shit would not be better if this device had full fledged Android and support for Bluetooth audio and access to PlayStation cloud streaming right?
How about:
1, I am paying $199 for a device that streams my PS5 to anywhere in the house (and garden) so I can play it even if the main TV is in use, with low latency, 8 inch display, 1080p, 60fps, with the added benefit of a perfect match to the Dualsense controls, haptics, adaptive triggers, matches my PS5 and Dualsense (all part of the same family, yeh, small point but still) and will be future proof with PlayStations plans.
2, I don't give a shit about wireless headphones? wired isn't exactly a huge deal (i'm holding the Portal when I need the audio, it isnt across the other side of the room or in my pocket) and if that's what everyone is rolling with as one of the main down sides of the Portal then I guess it must be good, now if it didnt have a 3.5mm port then you'd have a point

And as far as streaming in the future direct from servers, it may well be able to do it, it is running Android (AOSP it seems), and the lack of bluetooth is most likely due to missing hardware not that the software cant do it.

Also, what do you mean by 'PlayStation fanboys', you keep throwing it around, do you mean people who like the PlayStation? as in, the people who would only be interested in this device because they own a PS5? or do you mean in a derogatory way, like fanatics, because if you mean that then that's dumb and you sound like an idiot.

Why didnt you just say in the very beginning... 'It's not something I'm interested in and I can see other ways of getting a similar experience at a same or lower cost' instead of just assuming no-one needs/wants this device other than 'fanboys' even though there are many people in this thread (and looking at preorders) that proves otherwise.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

PlayStation Portal would make sense if it was full fledged Android device and if it was able to stream PS5/PS4 games without need of PlayStation 5 console at home. I would buy one in a whim at that point.

Android phone/tablet :

- Button configuration is wrong, X is Square, triangle is O, bumper buttons don't register, touchpad is whack, moving the camera on some games actually activates other buttons.
It's literally unplayable for 99% of Android devices out there with the exception of high-end, 800-1500 Eurodollars phones like the Samsung S22 and S23 - and don't get me started on tablets (and especially cheaper ones) which fare even worse.
Also : cheaper Phones/tablets with shitty SOCs still have the BT chip AND wi-fi one on the same SOC, meaning, good luck with streaming/internet speeds if you decide to have both enabled, it's a fucking shit show.
It doesn't matter if you have a 200 Eurodollar Xiaomi or 1000+ tablet/phone, as an example, Remote play plays normally on the Samsung Galaxy S22/S23 but...tough luck if you have their previous tablet, button config. is still screwed.
On some Xiaomis it works on some others don't, on my Oneplus Nord it sure doesn't as it also doesn't on Oneplus flagships for example.

- Got a capable, A13 , 1000+ Eurodollar Android phone which doesn't have the button config fucked up and you want to game properly ? A Razer Kishi or a Backbone cost 100 Eurodollars - 100 Eurodollars for 3 pieces of plastics put together.

- Don't want to spend 100 Eurodollars for a Kishi/Backbone ? Have fun having to BT-sync your joypad to the phone and then RE-sync it to the PS5 which requires the Sony provided USB cable - it's a fucking ball-ache having to do it every time, also, BT = higher input lag.
What's that ? you wanna connect an USB OTG cable for less lag ? Have fun with the ergonomics and an extra cable hanging from your phone.

- You think that joypad to phone clips do the job ? Have fun having a 200+gr device hanging at an angle from your joypad for more than 30 minutes, your wrists are gonna love you...

- Having to recharge your phone 2+ times a day.

- Using a Dualshock 4 or a Xbox controller : they do work normally but you lose touchpad functionality (even though the DS4 has one it isn't supported in PS5 games).

- Apple products : it works fine (mostly) - wait, let me go and grab another 1000+ Eurodollar device Vs a 200 one to be able to remote play !

Listen, I know that we're on the internet and that many people just decide to shitpost and - generally speaking - be miserable all the time because it makes them feel good and/or superior but goddamn it if some of you don't sound like parrots.

The way you're parroting the usual shit ("JUsT Grab aN AndroiD deVicE ! " ) gives me the impression that you have zero knowledge about the current state of RP on generic devices.

Just move on, this device isn't for you and that's fine, just stop spouting personal opinions as facts

Last edited:
It's a portable device designed to stream users games from the PS5.
That's it's business case
It is the best case for game-streaming. By having the hardware physically in the same building in decreases lag. Also doesn't cost Sony to maintain servers and pay electric bills. All the benefits of streaming service with minimal down sides.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I mean, surely the solution would be to just require the user to have a certain tier of PlayStation Plus, right? Sony presumably doesn’t make much (if any) money on consoles, so the point of selling PS5s is to try and lock players into their ecosystem, then generate revenue through game sales.

A PS Portal with PS+ would accomplish a similar goal.

I’m with OP on this. Allowing remote play (with the caveat of locking the player into PS+) would be a good business decision, imo.

JaksGhost

Don't you guys have phones?
Yes and now I have a dedicated device with an 8 inch screen with full DualSense capability vs my 6.68 inch iPhone screen that runs hot, has fast battery drain, and requires me to hook up a DualSense via bluetooth. Oh and don't forget I have to prop that bitch up somewhere somehow for a neck straining experience.

I mean, surely the solution would be to just require the user to have a certain tier of PlayStation Plus, right? Sony presumably doesn’t make much (if any) money on consoles, so the point of selling PS5s is to try and lock players into their ecosystem, then generate revenue through game sales.

A PS Portal with PS+ would accomplish a similar goal.

I’m with OP on this. Allowing remote play (with the caveat of locking the player into PS+) would be a good business decision, imo.

I think that Sony is really trying to get their remote servers in a good position to be able to do this.

Kacho

The Portal is a half-assed attempt to tap into the portable market without having to invest much in that space.

Sony is kinda insane this gen with arbitrary limits.
It could be THE streaming device for Plus, especially fine for PS3 and PS4 games since the reduced resolution would not matter that much, but it is, for now, just a PS5-U tablet.

Same nonsense as not allowing PS VR2 to have PC support. They could at least make it a purchasable software upgrade if they want to not cannibalize PS5 sales. And or; everyone buying X amount of PS5 games gets that software unlock for free cause proven loyal customer.

It's for enthusiasts and we will see if that narrow minded approach does really help them succeed or kills them faster as need be (reminding me of PS Vita TV, that was too late anyway, rather limited remote play range (same as Vita itself) and a lot of games not running on it for no real reason).

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo smartly built the switch and yet Sony releases the portal which requires the ps5.

This is exactly why Sony finally disabled the "beep" after all these years.

200.gif
The only good legacy from Jim Ryan.

Top Bottom