• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if you never "get good" at Dark Souls/Bloodborne?

rtcn63

The first two bosses in the game essentially function as the "introduction to parrying". But yet a lot of people don't even try parrying.

The Cleric Beast is also cheesable if you just stock up on molotovs.

You don't even need to parry, honestly. I've played the game multiple times exclusively two-handing. The axe is just so, so OP. The threaded cane tricks people because it's probably the most unique of the starting weapons, but not necessarily the best choice for a beginner.

breadtruck

I never got good at Bloodborne.

I didnt find it fun, so I stopped playing.

So far my life has been chaos, but I'm getting by. I know it would have been easier if I finished Bloodborne, but it is what it is.

GHG

You don't even need to parry, honestly. I've played the game multiple times exclusively two-handing. The axe is just so, so OP. The threaded cane tricks people because it's probably the most unique of the starting weapons, but the hardest to master early on.

Yep while the axe is the least glamorous of the starting weapon you can easily run through the game start to finish exclusively using that weapon.

Spin to win.

The world, art, and combat in the souls/borne series is so great that I know there are people who would enjoy seeing everything each game has to offer, but just don't have the dexterity and or time to ever pull it off. That's why I wouldn't mind an easier mode for those people. As long as it doesn't affect the game in any negative way for me, for example, a mode where you take less damage, deal more damage, etc. that you could toggle on or off, then I would be happy to see it added for those people.

I didn't think I would ever get good at this series, but now it's one of my all-time favorite franchises.

Started with Demon's Souls, got stuck at the Flamelurker, eventually drifted away from this as other games came out.

Put about 30-40 hours into my first Dark Souls playthrough, got stuck at Four Kings. Spent about a week trying to beat them before finally surrendering and stopped playing. About six months later I felt the urge to go back and beat them, started a brand new save, and haven't looked back.

Got 1000/1000 on Dark Souls for 360, Platinumed Dark Souls 2, SOTFS on PS4, and Dark Souls 3; totaling probably 6-700 hours playtime.

However, to this day I am still terrible at parrying.

rtcn63

The world, art, and combat in the souls/borne series is so great that I know there are people who would enjoy seeing everything each game has to offer, but just don't have the dexterity and or time to ever pull it off. That's why I wouldn't mind an easier mode for those people. As long as it doesn't affect the game in any negative way for me, for example, a mode where you take less damage, deal more damage, etc. that you could toggle on or off, then I would be happy to see it added for those people.

A really simple remedy would be having the game annotate class/weapon choices at the start. I.e. when you pick up your first BB weapons, the text could state that the axe is recommended for beginners or people looking for a less frustrating time. The threaded cane if you're patient and want to RP Simon Belmont.

Teggy

I beat a few bosses in Demon's Souls and then started struggling endlessly on the poison area, and didn't want to keep trying to beat one of the bosses I had reached in another area. I totally get why people like the games, but they're just not for me.

I'm fine with that.

I never got good but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I enjoyed my playthrough till I just couldn't bear the difficulty. I knew I could beat it if I kept playing but nah, I'm good.

OCD Guy

The game doesn't really expect you to beat the Cleric Beast on first try. After you lose to him once, you get insight, allowing you to level up. And you should be able to get your weapon to +2 or +3 in the starting area (with a bit of farming).

I am not a person who is good at hard games. I would get wrecked at anything involving actual human beings as opponents. Souls? Frustrating. Cheap at times. Unfun at times. But not particularly difficult in the bigger picture.

I guess it came down to me not actually enjoying the fight itself.

Not sure why, but I didn't find it engaging, In some games I don't mind replaying something over if I find it enjoyable.

RuhRo

One of the smartest innovations of the Souls series is that co-op is essentially a difficulty slider to address this very concern. I love these games but, for most of us, trying the same content over and over for days is just not fun or practical. Typically, I try things solo for as long as it's fun, then call in help if it's becoming a repetitive slog. No shame in that - it's built that way.

Almost arbitrarily, Father Gascoigne - one of the earliest bosses in Bloodborne - was my Waterloo that led me to this conclusion. It took me two days and perhaps a hundred attempts to beat him. None of the other bosses in the game felt even fractionally as challenging. But I think that's inherent in the design too. The battles emphasize different mechanics, and so everyone has issues with different ones.

rtcn63

I guess it came down to me not actually enjoying the fight itself.

Not sure why, but I didn't find it engaging, In some games I don't mind replaying something over if I find it enjoyable.

The Cleric fight... isn't that fun. It just amounts to you spamming attacks and crotch-hugging/circling behind it. (The case of most of the "beast" bosses really) Plus BB + DS3 bosses tend to have a lot more health so yeah, patience becomes a virtue.

The humanoid bosses are generally the highlight of the franchise. You can skip the Cleric and fight Father G first, returning turning to it when you feel more confident. Killing the Cleric just nets you a lamp and the ability to purchase the Kirkhammer... which looks cool but isn't that great anyways.

Top Bottom