• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if you never "get good" at Dark Souls/Bloodborne?

I quit playing them. The only one I actually finished was DeS. The others I just gave up. Still had a blast though. Gonna buy DS3 one day and probably gonna love it but also never finish it.

I feel like anyone who is somewhat decent at games can beat any of the Soulsborne games. Some things might take longer than others, some people will need more help from Summons. But I don't think you actually need to gitgud

Truant

I'm really good at Bloodborne, but only the regular enemies. I dance around them, performing parries and visceral attacks left and right. Most parts of the game are a cakewalk for me now.

But I suck at the bosses, and have to summon basically every fight - with a few exceptions.

evangd007

Summoning friends and grinding levels are the built-in mechanisms to beating a Soulsborne game if you are having trouble with the mechanics.

This leads me to my point. People say the best part of the Souls series is overcoming the tremendous odds, finally beating a boss that seemed near impossible when you first walked through the fog gate. And, yeah, I get a little of that, but its not really that satisfying. I remember beating Ornstein and Smough and honestly, all I can remember is just the relief that I could finally proceed. I dont view it as an accomplishment. In fact, I think I just got a lucky roll of the dice.

I'm not especially fantastic at games either, but that experience of coming across something that seems insurmountable and then— ither through timing, resourcefulness or figuring out a solution—is just so much fun, is me of the most fun types of gameplay I've encountered.

Chance can play a part, but I can still tell when I'm getting better at something. I really value when a game isn't necessarily hard, but it doesn't "fake" anything or overly favor my success because then everything that happens is more engaging since everything matters—if I dodge an attack in Dark Souls, it's because I timed it right, and if I get hit, I know I'm either dead or I have to use up a finite health resource, and (generally) I know the attack legitimately hit me because the hitboxes in that series tend to be fair, which means even my positioning matters, so I care about everything going on.

I say all that to say I got partway through the Ornstein and Smough fight my first try, then quickly got destroyed, then immediately destroyed my second time. I beat them the third time and all throughout those tries, I recognized what I was doing right, what I was doing wrong and regardless of how good I really was at the game, I was always in control of my character and it really felt like that. No matter how poorly or how well I was doing, that feels my was always present.

It sounds like something about the series doesn't give you that sense of control and agency—I'm not sure how that can be reconciled though.

Timeaisis

If you never get good, than you either use summoning like mad or stop playing. I would say don't avoid summoning, it's in the game explicitly for that reason.

But if you don't enjoy it, it's not for you and that's OK.

Shadio

I would say you already did get good. Obviously not to the extent of mastering the game, but you say you couldn't get a hit in initially, and yet you eventually managed to defeat him. Dark Souls is all about gradual improvement, and you slowly made your way there in the end. Whether there was an element of luck isn't important, you still needed to do most of the work if you didn't summon help.

Though you probably should have ran past all the enemies on the way to Gwyn, and most boss fights in general. It's still one of the longest runs in the series, but if you ignored all the enemies you could have cut down that 10 minute run to about 90 seconds.

Not enjoying it is another matter. If you're not having fun or feeling the rush after beating the game then it's probably just not the game for you. There's no shame in not liking it. It's ok to just say that these games aren't for everyone and that's because they don't need to be. I don't think aiming for a new audience by watering down the formula that earned it the die-hard audience it already has would really be in anyone's best interests.

dosh

I guess if you can't "get good", but still want to enjoy the combat, lore and world building, you could go co-op with a friend?

Part of the fun with the Soulsborne games has always been talking about it with people - and in my case, these discussions invariably lead to creating new characters for the sole purpose of doing co-op playthroughs with friends.

Of course, when we start these, we've already beaten the game on our own, but they're really fun to co-op - even if the co-op system itself is a bit... austere.

I would say don't avoid summoning, it's in the game explicitly for that reason.
Exactly.

I feel like anyone who is somewhat decent at games can beat any of the Soulsborne games. Some things might take longer than others, some people will need more help from Summons. But I don't think you actually need to gitgud

The skill levels of certain players only getting through with the help of summons, that I saw when invading, definitely supports this idea, lol

finalflame

Gold Member
Stop playing, not every game is for every person. Not everyone is cut out to be a BMX, motorcross, skateboarding, etc. champion. Not everyone can jump off 10,000ft mountains in wingsuits. Same applies here.

Bloodborne:
Play BB vanilla (uninstall, if already installed)
Do dupe Bloodstone shard glitch
Get to level 150 in an hour or so
Update game
Enjoy painless pleasure

Dark Souls:
Dupe glitch boss souls
Level 150 in no time
Enjoy painless pleasure

Demon's Souls:
Do dupe item glitch
Level 150+ in no time
Enjoy painless pleasure

Who needs git gud?
Easy mode is baked into all these games.

Poppy

sometimes games just won't work out for everyone

i have played so many fighting games and yet the only conclusion i have come to is that i despise them even though i want to like them so badly. i still buy them for some reason but it's clear i will never have the urge to actually be good, because that is the antithesis of fun to me.

i'm sure it's the same way for souls games for some

Meh, everybody is bad at one game or another. I am truly garbage at meatboy and counterstrike. Do what you like that's what matters. All I say us that one should not call a game bad just because they are bad at it.

Neith

Banned
It doesn't sound like you are leveling up properly. You are doing something wrong here. These games are not really that hard per se. You can overlevel yourself if you have too much trouble.

fhqwhgads

Move on and play something else.
I suck hard at single player FPS games so I moved onto multiplayer FPS games. Sometimes all it takes is a little change to get you enjoying something.

Persona7

Banned
Take the L and move on.

Bloodborne:
Play BB vanilla (uninstall, if already installed)
Do dupe Bloodstone shard glitch
Get to level 150 in an hour or so
Update game
Enjoy painless pleasure

Dark Souls:
Dupe glitch boss souls
Level 150 in no time
Enjoy painless pleasure

Demon's Souls:
Do dupe item glitch
Level 150+ in no time
Enjoy painless pleasure

Who needs git gud?
Easy mode is baked into all these games.
I've seen people here on GAF rage quit on dark souls 3 because the path to the first boss was too difficult. Literally two minutes into the game. That won't help in those cases.

Nimby

Banned
Not being able to "git gud" at a game does not mean the game isn't for you. Some people do not want or simply can't invest the time into games like these. That is why most games have difficulty settings so everyone can attempt to enjoy them. For Souls games, easier difficulty usually means co-oping, but there are a lot of weird strats you can do to take out bosses too.

The Dancer in DS3 always gave me trouble, and one playthrough I just had enough, looked up some strats and found she was super weak to dark flame attacks and magic. Took advantage of this and the boss became a joke. Which is weird, because everyone expects a Souls game to be this blend of a character-action game and a fighter, where you read your opponents attacks, dodge at the correct time, and punish them during their recovery. All I did was stand back and hurl black fireballs at her, I think at most 10.

Lork

So, I did the Dark Souls thing. I tried until I got it. Over many months I would occasionally jump in and try again, to no avail. I never really improved. I even dedicated one day to as many as 15 attempts in a row, which took several hours (the gauntlet to the final boss has 5 enemies, takes about 10 minutes each time depending). I knew that I would get it eventually, right?
Despite what some people seem to think, mindlessly mashing your head against a brick wall for hours on end is not "doing the Dark Souls thing". If you actually want to "get good", you need to try to analyze what you're doing wrong and then either change your approach in response (in Dark Souls this is the answer 90% of the time), or just practice the specific skill that is lacking. If you truly are unable or unwilling to do this, then it's true that you will never "get good", but it's not because of a lack of technical skill on your part.

mishakoz

It doesn't sound like you are leveling up properly. You are doing something wrong here. These games are not really that hard per se. You can overlevel yourself if you have too much trouble.

My character build is definitely bad... but thats the result of not looking anything up on the internet. I put several levels into Resistance, got a "Raw" weapon before I understood what that meant, and other problems.

Despite what some people seem to think, mindlessly mashing your head against a brick wall for hours on end is not "doing the Dark Souls thing". If you actually want to "get good", you need to try to analyze what you're doing wrong and then either change your approach in response (in Dark Souls this is the answer 90% of the time), or just practice the specific skill that is lacking. If you truly are unable or unwilling to do this, then it's true that you will never "get good", but it's not because of a lack of technical skill on your part.

I was trying to change tactics each time, but the inherent problem was I would die in only a few hits, making it difficult to even begin to try a strategy.

OniBaka

Gives me flash backs when I first started souls series with demon souls. Tower Knight was wrecking the shit out of me. Took me ages to finally beat him and now when I go back he is a piece of cake.

rtcn63

Dark Souls and even Demons are somewhat special cases in that they existed before the series began really catering to a mainstream audience, becoming (slightly) less obfuscated overall and of course the various and evolving quality of life improvements. (I count myself as among them admittedly)

But DS2, DS3, BB? They aren't hard. Parts are cheap. Jank is a thing. Figuring out stats etc. requires some looking up. But like any video game, it's just learning how things work and plowing through. As for the series getting more difficult on revisits- you're just rusty. Even going back to BB from DS2, I'm just rocking my way past with the not-so-optimal Kirkhammer.

KORNdoggy

That's what summons are for. I mean, the only hard parts of these games are the bosses, same as ninja gaiden of devil may cry etc. And if you're struggling with a boss, summon someone to help.

Games are a form of entertainment and are supposed to be fun. If you are forcing yourself with any game, move on and find something else to play, its that simple.

Gives me flash backs when I first started souls series with demon souls. Tower Knight was wrecking the shit out of me. Took me ages to finally beat him and now when I go back he is a piece of cake.

I beat him with arrows from the ramparts. I should go back and crush all those bosses that gave me so much trouble

Seek misery.
For misery will lead you to greater, stronger souls.
You will never meet the King with a soul so frail and pallid.

I was trying to change tactics each time, but the inherent problem was I would die in only a few hits, making it difficult to even begin to try a strategy.
That's step one of changing strats - last longer! :p
EVERY Souls player can relate to dying too soon to see what's happening in a boss fight, I certainly can. It's frustrating, but these games are challenging not impossible.

Sometimes I just go in to a boss fight and stand there and dodge/block and all I'm trying to do is see what the bosses moves are, I'm not even remotely trying to kill it. What moves they do at different ranges (in their face, mid, far away). How many hits a certain combo has, how many hits I can safely get in after an attack and still have enough time and stamina to dodge their follow up - that kind of thing. That's analysing the bosses actions to change your strats. Knowledge is power. Alternatively you can just summon and watch the boss AI completely break!

The question is are you enjoying yourself thru the struggle?

I mean I died 20 plus times against
Ludwig
in Bloodborne. Probably the most satisfying boss beat down in recent memory outside of
Lawrence
Old hunters dlc is goat.

If not OP move on there's no shame in it.

Roshin

I am terrible at puzzle games, where you have to figure things out in order to proceed. I never even finished Portal 2. I'm not stupid, but puzzles and riddles frustrate me. I don't enjoy it, lose patience, and give up.

I accept that puzzle games aren't for me, though. I don't think I've ever thought of asking the world to make these games simpler for me.

RedZaraki

Banned
The challenge is part of the experience.

That's the draw here. If you don't like being challenged, you won't like these games.

These are games where not everyone that starts playing them will see the ending. That's functioning as designed.

I'm sorry.

Just started playing Bloodborne last night. Never played any dark souls games, played demons soul for a bit when it first released. So I spent about 2 hours playing it and kept dying and reason for that was cause I was trying to kill every enemy i ran into. I later realized that I can just run past pretty much all of them. I chose the pistol and that thing just feels useless....can't aim for shit. Made it to sewers before I had to quit to sleep.

I know I'm not that far into the game but I expected this game to be more like Castlevania, atmosphere wise but it feels more like devil may cry.

Anyways I don't hate the game, it's just that this is one of those games where you have to invest some time into it. So I'm gonna have to put it aside for now. Have Splatoon 2 coming in the mail today, still need to finish botw and I haven't even started Horizon, Persona 5, and Witcher 3. Will get back to it some other time.

If you never get good, than you either use summoning like mad or stop playing. I would say don't avoid summoning, it's in the game explicitly for that reason.

But if you don't enjoy it, it's not for you and that's OK.
Yeah. There is this kind of unspoken (or maybe it's spoken) idea that summoning for bosses cheapens the experience of the game. It doesn't. If you're not enjoying a boss fight and can't get past it, summon. It's a major mechanic in the game don't be afraid to engage with it. I recently finished my first Dark Souls game (III) and summoned for four of the bosses. Some of the fights were just not fun for me to engage with
Nameless King being the biggest offender
so after a few tries I just summoned to get past it. Summoning isn't like some instant win scenario, and you still have to engage in the fight, and in some cases it can just be more fun.

The git gud culture around Souls is insufferable and it made me not want to engage with the franchise for a long time.

I mean, whats the problem here? You did "get gud". You started out not being able to even hit the boss, and then you played until you beat him. That's how all the games go, there is no special strategy to "getting gud", it's just playing and practice until you understand how to play the game. The first time I got to Gwyn I probably died 10 times to him before I figured out how to parry him, and even then I had to go a few more times before I got it down. The only people who need to worry about never getting gud are people who don't have the patience to learn to play the game.

Btw, now that you've beaten the game you should start a new character. You'll be surprised with how much you have improved, most of the game will be a breeze.

Just started playing Bloodborne last night. Never played any dark souls games, played demons soul for a bit when it first released. So I spent about 2 hours playing it and kept dying and reason for that was cause I was trying to kill every enemy i ran into. I later realized that I can just run past pretty much all of them. I chose the pistol and that thing just feels useless....can't aim for shit. Made it to sewers before I had to quit to sleep.

I know I'm not that far into the game but I expected this game to be more like Castlevania, atmosphere wise but it feels more like devil may cry.

Anyways I don't hate the game, it's just that this is one of those games where you have to invest some time into it. So I'm gonna have to put it aside for now. Have Splatoon 2 coming in the mail today, still need to finish botw and I haven't even started Horizon, Persona 5, and Witcher 3. Will get back to it some other time.

Firearms in this game are mainly* for parries, and to get a chance for a visceral attack. They're not really meant to be a primary means of killing enemies.

*There are certain firearms you can base your character build around to kill bosses with firerams alone (cannon, for example)

It may sound counter intuitive but guns in Bloodborne aren't really for doing damage, or even for long range combat. You mostly use them to interrupt/knock down enemies or parry by shooting them mid-attack (this is an extremely important skill to learn!). There is another type of gun, the flamethrower/Rosmarinus, which has decent damage normal output but it uses up ammo very quickly and can't parry. Honestly, between the starting pistol and blunderbuss the pistol is the better choice!

You CAN build a character to be very powerful with firearms via investing heavily in bloodtinge, using specific weapons (cannon/Evelyn), and using bone marrow ash. There are even some neat combos you can do by setting up a parry and THEN using ash+cannon to do some ungodly damage.

If you can't Git Gud, you just Git Help. Coop is perfect if you want to have fun in these games. Don't let elitist intimidate you with their bullshit.

tanooki27

lock on and roll. roll button is easy button

I played the first few hours of dark souls not realizing you could lock on. that was tricky.

Ivellios

Honestly, i never got gud at bloodborne, my only experience with Souls.

Basically i killed almost half of the bosses with help from other players, still i enjoyed the game very much even if i was bad at it.

olag

I managed to solo all of the bosses in dark souls
(With the exception of the 4 kings)
and till this day I still cant beat
Gwyn
. You fuck up a dodge once and thats pretty much all your health gone.

At this point I assume it will happen in its own time or not at all. I think thats the pace I play soulsborne games mostly.

PSqueak

Banned
The only way to not get good at those games is if you don't like them, and if you don't like them at the very beginning despite your 102th death, then you just stop playing and move on.

Don't listen to the assholes, there is zero concequences for passing on a series you're not enjoying.

Top Bottom