• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if you never "get good" at Dark Souls/Bloodborne?

mishakoz

Firstly, I know what kind of wrath I am asking for by making this thread.

So, I recently beat Dark Souls 1 final boss solo. Previously I had played Bloodborne and Demon Souls, so Dark Souls was just next on the list. I struggled many times throughout this game, but never like I did for this boss. I couldnt even get a hit in initially, and that would to progress to one or two hits before I would inevitably get trampled, with no time to heal.

So, I did the Dark Souls thing. I tried until I got it. Over many months I would occasionally jump in and try again, to no avail. I never really improved. I even dedicated one day to as many as 15 attempts in a row, which took several hours (the gauntlet to the final boss has 5 enemies, takes about 10 minutes each time depending). I knew that I would get it eventually, right?

Whelp, after what I would have to guess is about more than 50 attempts I finally did it. Gwyn's AI bugged out and he got stuck or something, I was able to finish him. That was that. The big epic finale. And i didnt care. I was just glad I was done with the game, officially.

This leads me to my point. People say the best part of the Souls series is overcoming the tremendous odds, finally beating a boss that seemed near impossible when you first walked through the fog gate. And, yeah, I get a little of that, but its not really that satisfying. I remember beating Ornstein and Smough and honestly, all I can remember is just the relief that I could finally proceed. I dont view it as an accomplishment. In fact, I think I just got a lucky roll of the dice.

The more I thought about it, the more I was questioning how exactly I got to the end boss? I want to be clear, I am not very good at these games. I get through because of overleveling and trial and error, and then, some luck. So did I really beat Ornstein and Smough because I had finally gotten good enough to beat them? Or did the bosses derp out enough to give me opportunities I shouldnt have had.

One of my last encounters with Gwyn I think said all I needed to here. I entered the fog gates, and without getting a single attack in I was dead. His attacks were relentless. Its very clear to me that if this boss had perfect AI, no player could beat him. Well, maybe not "no player" but it would certainly be next to impossible.

So, what if you never "get good" at souls? I replayed Bloodborne (new game) recently and got my butt kicked once again even though that was a game where I was able to defeat MWN in one go. Is there a route for people to appreciate these amazing games while also keeping the difficulty (or the world) in tact? I manage to get through, but what about a person who has far less time than me (90 hours). How much time is enough time to dedicate to single game to "get good" and what if you just arent getting it.

Personally, I think there is a route to more accessibility. And i dont mean making the game easier or having difficulty modes necessarily, Im talking about in-game ways to eventually be able to overcome obstacles. Like co-op, but its important to note that co-op isnt forever (I was unable to find a person to co-op Gwyn with). What if instead of changing any difficulty, the gauntlets to the bosses were more or less removed, allowing players to make more attempts per hour to try to succeed.

It took me until the third game (DaS II) until I got gud

I still enjoyed it before then tho. Demon's Souls is my GOAT because of how memorable my scrub experience with that game was

That would be me... I sold the game after a couple hours...I wasn't bad at it, in fact, I only died a few times. But I was bored and the atmosphere just didn't gel with me.

So I never got good at it. I think I'm okay. Wish I could get into it as it is masterfully designed...just wasn't having much fun.

There are other games. But kudos on those who love it...just wasn't for me.

You use magic and Co-op which trivializes most of the game. Though you can't really do that in Bloodborne(magic I mean, co-op exists) (use Hunter Axe and Spin to Win I guess?) and its harder in Dark 3.

kromeo

I think I was way overleveled by the time I reached him, he couldn't break my guard at all.. The artorius shield was op from memory

On pc at least the game is still active enough for summoning help

If you never "get good" at a game?

Are you still having fun with it? Keep playing.

Are you not having fun with it (for whatever reason)? Move on to something else.

Lots of games out there I enjoy but are admittedly really bad at. Ed McMillen games in particular.

I even dedicated one day to as many as 15 attempts in a row, which took several hours (the gauntlet to the final boss has 5 enemies, takes about 10 minutes each time depending).
Unless you're farming loot, there is absolutely no need to fight any enemies on the way to Gwyn. Just run past everything.

btw, you probably couldn't find anyone to co-op Gwyn with because by your own admission you were overleveled. If people still co-op on Demon's Souls, they sure still do on DS1.

Mediking

Don't feel bad OP.

Dark Souls 2 Scholarly was my entry to the franchise and it was boring and not rewarding. Never playing a damn souls ever game again unless I think it looks VERY interesting.

I tried Monster Hunter before. Another borefest. I refuse to let MHW trick me into trying it out at $60. I TRIED to get gud and it was still a bad experience.

Mossybrew

It's perfectly fine to come to the conclusion that a game series doesn't suit you. No reason to continue to try to force a square peg in a round hole when there are SO many other games out there to enjoy.

I have never been "gud" but I've beaten all of them and like to explore their worlds. You don't really need to be good, just patient.

I'm not very good at getting timings right and all that stuff, so I can tell you all that "git gud" mindset is just what people tell to themselves to feel special, I guess. I'm not saying there aren't very skilled players out there though, what I'm saying is that if someone like me can beat these games then they are not as difficult as some people desperately want you to believe.

tonypark

Do like me and use heavy armors and hardest hitting weapon with a tower shield. I finished every soul games with my fat roll.

mishakoz

It's perfectly fine to come to the conclusion that a game series doesn't suit you. No reason to continue to try to force a square peg in a round hole when there are SO many other games out there to enjoy.

I think it does suit me, I enjoy my time, I just dont enjoy certain aspects of the game and think they can be improved.

KHlover

Banned
If you're like me and not gud at parrying Gwyn you just don the full Havel armor, use Iron Flesh pyromancy at the start of the fight and spam R1 with a couple of pauses to drink Estus. Ez, at least if you have the VIT and STA to pull it off.

The more I thought about it, the more I was questioning how exactly I got to the end boss? I want to be clear, I am not very good at these games. I get through because of overleveling and trial and error, and then, some luck. So did I really beat Ornstein and Smough because I had finally gotten good enough to beat them? Or did the bosses derp out enough to give me opportunities I shouldnt have had...

i've been playing the series since the chinese version of demon's souls was released, & you captured my 'style' perfectly! seriously? if i got stuck, like really stuck, on a boss, & there's no one around to help out? i'd quit! the good news: i've never had to, so far, because this's never happened. there's either been help available, or i finally get it done myself...

i wouldn't want the series to be any different than it is. i realize, with each new entry, there's always the possibility that i'll never get all the way through it, but, hey, for me, that's just part of the zen-like charm of the games :) ...

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Y'all cats have to realize that every game isn't going to be for you and move on with your life.

I get it. I felt the same way when Uncharted 2 came out and people held it up as the second coming and I was left like "that's it?"

This isn't a thread about difficulty it's about the op not actually enjoying Soul's games.
"Get Good' is condescending but at a base level it's kind of the truth when playing games in this franchise.

Aside from maybe a few mechanics needing to be more intuitive for players and technical issue that need remedying the games are fine.

Toxi

Banned
If you're like me and not gud at parrying Gwyn you just don the full Havel armor, use Iron Flesh pyromancy at the start of the fight and spam R1 with a couple of pauses to drink Estus. Ez, at least if you have the VIT and STA to pull it off.
Or you hide behind the rock.

Zyrox

Either you die a filthy casul or live long enough to see yourself git gud.

Seriously though, Souls games can still be enjoyed even if you never really get good at them. There is still the atmosphere, lore and great environments to explore and soak in outside of just the combat/bossfights. And there's always coop for the people who struggle on their own.

Personally I love the feeling of finally beating a boss I've struggled with for a long time. Gives me a great sense of accomplishment (and relief).

Eusis

In the end someone won't be able to play some game, and at that extreme you get crap like when Zelda was being overbearing with the tutorials and yet likely still not grabbing in many new players (maybe some younger ones who would've figured it out anyway just because it was that fun and interesting to them?)

What I think the series COULD use it perhaps more, smarter (within reason) AI partners, and perhaps even being SUMMONED offline to assist in NPCs beating a boss so as to be able to farm the restoration items to return to human or summon help. Kind of make you have to practice against a boss anyway.

renzolama

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but Dark Souls II has a system exactly like what you're describing. If you kill the enemies in an area (like, say, between the bonfire and a boss) enough times they will stop spawning, giving you a straight run to the boss with no encounters along the way. I don't think it was very well received, but there were definitely a couple bosses I took advantage of it on when I was going for pure solo runs with no summons.

joecanada

Not every game is for every person. Every game now gets a thread where someone wants the game fundamentally altered to suit them. It's not possible . Not directed specifically at you op since you phrased as question but just play something else.

I bought Bloodborne, finished it twice but it was too hard for my casual gaming needs so I skipped ds . Without that challenge the oppressive atmosphere would be completely ruined . It would be shit .

mishakoz

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but Dark Souls II has a system exactly like what you're describing. If you kill the enemies in an area (like, say, between the bonfire and a boss) enough times they will stop spawning, giving you a straight run to the boss with no encounters along the way. I don't think it was very well received, but there were definitely a couple bosses I took advantage of it on when I was going for pure solo runs with no summons.

ooh thats exciting.

TrutaS

Just look at the game another way. The most fun I have with those games is when I cheese - use a trick to beat monsters. You don't need to get good for that, just need to get smart. Or you need to get youtube - to look at guides that tell you all those cheesy methods.

It's just a game and despite what a lot of the community makes others think, it is about having fun, not proving your worthiness as a gamer.

Maengun1

They're just not for me. I'm not patient, I don't like repeating the same gameplay over and over...if I die in the same section of a game more than 2 or 3 times, I don't feel hyped to "get better," I just want to move on to something else. I don't like not being able to pause or save/load whenever I want, as my gaming time is very fragmented and sometimes I will literally boot up a game just to get 5-10 minutes in and then I have to stop.

I spent a very frustrating weekend trying to make Bloodborne "click" for me, as I love the general aesthetic and vibe of the game and I really wanted to like a game that everyone was saying was one of the best games of all time. Then I realized it was better to just move on.

If you can't git gud, get help. There's sunbros always ready for jolly cooperation. Play conservatively if you are the host, since if you die, everyone else also gets the boot.

for the cursed chalice dungeons in Bloodborne, I used the hunters bell subreddit for summons. No way I could have done that solo.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Not everyone is good, or even average, at all types of games.

That is ok.

The venom a certain subset of the Souls community has, for those who can't 1CC the games, really doesn't matter.

Gator86

All of the arguments for boss runs are stupid but people will absolutely die on that hill. "It's not satisfying to beat a boss without having to waste lots of time running around first!"

Gxgear

Get patient then. That's how I get through all of them. Also NPC summons, message estus refills, player summons, offline mode...it can get pretty accessible if you let it.

You can just run past everything any way - I never really saw what difference that made other than making it more bothersome to farm some items by having to use bonfire ascetics, which they changed in the SOTFS patch by allowing you turn off the despawning with the champions covenant.

As far as I could see the only 'benefit' despawning gave was it removed the possibility of enemies attacking you as you went through the fog, which along with the stupid door/level animations was one of the dumbest things in DS2. Thank God they ditched that in DS3.

If you are at the point of despawning enemies on a boss run, your issue isn't the run back, it's rethinking and adjusting your strategy against the boss.

Csr

If you are not having fun then play something else.

If you want to get good then start by analyzing in more detail why you are losing and what you have to do to win. If you decide that you can't figure a problem out seek some help from the internet, there is no shame in that.

Top Bottom