• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What have you just bought?

Kssio_Aug

61+T2xNzR7S._AC_SX425_.jpg

I have an old smart TV in my room, in which the system is super outdated and some apps are not available or are also extremely outdated. I tried using an 2nd gen Chromecast, but it works horribly for me (sometimes it plays nice, sometimes it can't play shit - was always like that, maybe it's a defective unit).

So far so good! It's working fine, and made the TV way more useful again. Bought it on wednesday on a promo in Amazon website and yesterday it arrived already.

Last edited:

lem0n

1) Can't show an image here but just bought an ECU tune for my Lexus IS350. It's meant to extract another 25hp from the V6 engine.
In total I should be getting closer to 30hp as I have a modified exhaust.
I should be putting out 330hp by the end of the week. Nothing crazy and more than enough.

2) Also bought this little fella. Its a throttle controller that has supporting app on android to adjust throttle sensitivity. Its the latest model from this company. Car is so much more responsive and the highest setting is a lot of fun even driving in town but wouldn't try it in snow or rainy conditions.
20220705-174133.jpg

20220705-174158.jpg

20220705-174230.jpg

20220705-174318.jpg
I had something similar on my old Fiat Abarth 500, called a Pedal Commander. It really tightened up the slack in the throttle response.

Speaking of cars, I’ve just ordered a Turbosmart blow off valve and roll restrictor for my daily driver Fiesta ST. Wheels and tires are also new. Trying to go racing this fall once it cools off here in Phoenix. All this car needs now is a new turbocharger and it should be hitting a healthy 300hp. For something that weighs about 2850lbs, that’s enough..
kpeT28S.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Just bought a lenovo p11 pro at a super price, most probably a scam but i'm paying with paypal so who cares...
Well turns out that the tablet is the right one but there is a small catch of being the uk version with an AC adaptor for charging, since i payed basically less than half the regular price i'm oretty happy.

Now i just need to find a site with mangas...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The Northman blu ray

81stS0YwGGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

kinda pointless cause i probably will never watch it (the blu ray). i enjoyed the movie and will rewatch it but i'll probably just buy it digitally on Apple/Amazon to rewatch it instead of going through the hassle of finding my old blu ray player and connecting it to my TV.

the only blu rays i have right now are the Harry Potter box set, His Dark Materials TV S1 + 2, a few anime movies, and Midsommar, Hereditary, The Witch, The Lighthouse and, soon, The Northman.

I threw a shit load of blurays out recently including all my Star Wars ones and the Fantastic Beasts (Harry Potter). i'm trying to stop buying Blu Rays and move to digital/streaming. I'll keep my HP blu rays but I plan on buying the movies digitally next time I want to rewatch them. It's much cheaper to buy digitally for 4K HDR than buy the physical copies. £35-45 for digital Vs £89 for physical. plus, i don't have a 4K blu ray player and don't see myself buying a PS5/XSX any time soon and even if i did get one i'd go for the digital PS5 and if we ever get a digital XSX i'll get that.

so why the fuck have i bought it? well in my head my reasoning is that i really like both Ari Aster + Robert Eggers movies. In a way both of them have a connection... i mean there isn't really one except that they made some popular horror movies (Hereditary/The Witch) around the same time 2015-2018. i think i only watched The Witch for the first time in ~2017 so in my mind they are both from the same time even if they are a few years apart. At a time i was getting bored of horror movies and both those movies made me fall in love with the genre again. Now, of course, I could just go buy all the Eggers movies digitally no problem. I could even get Hereditary and Midsommar BUT the only version of Midsommar that is available digitally is the theatrical version. If you want the director's cut here (UK) then you need to buy the blu ray. It also doesn't come in 4K. There was a 4K version released in the US. So that's also why I didn't want to move to 4K blu ray. It would piss me off having some movies in 4K and some in 1080p.

so i felt like i HAD to buy The Northman blu ray because it would seriously annoy me if I didn't have it. I only bought it to shut my brain the fuck up and have it sit in a drawer for years without ever being watched. i know it sounds stupid as hell but that's how my mind is working.

anyway, going forward the only blu rays i can see myself buying are S3 of His Dark Materials. Of course, since it airs on BBC i could just watch it in 4K HDR on iPlayer but that's not enough for me. I love those books and need a physical copy of them. And...if we get any more Ari Aster/Robert Eggers movies I will need to buy blu ray copies of them to complete the collection. All this because the bloody DC version of Midsommar isn't available digitally lmao. I hate my brain.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

The Northman blu ray

81stS0YwGGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

kinda pointless cause i probably will never watch it (the blu ray). i enjoyed the movie and will rewatch it but i'll probably just buy it digitally on Apple/Amazon to rewatch it instead of going through the hassle of finding my old blu ray player and connecting it to my TV.

the only blu rays i have right now are the Harry Potter box set, His Dark Materials TV S1 + 2, a few anime movies, and Midsommar, Hereditary, The Witch, The Lighthouse and, soon, The Northman.

I threw a shit load of blurays out recently including all my Star Wars ones and the Fantastic Beasts (Harry Potter). i'm trying to stop buying Blu Rays and move to digital/streaming. I'll keep my HP blu rays but I plan on buying the movies digitally next time I want to rewatch them. It's much cheaper to buy digitally for 4K HDR than buy the physical copies. £35-45 for digital Vs £89 for physical. plus, i don't have a 4K blu ray player and don't see myself buying a PS5/XSX any time soon and even if i did get one i'd go for the digital PS5 and if we ever get a digital XSX i'll get that.

so why the fuck have i bought it? well in my head my reasoning is that i really like both Ari Aster + Robert Eggers movies. In a way both of them have a connection... i mean there isn't really one except that they made some popular horror movies (Hereditary/The Witch) around the same time 2015-2018. i think i only watched The Witch for the first time in ~2017 so in my mind they are both from the same time even if they are a few years apart. At a time i was getting bored of horror movies and both those movies made me fall in love with the genre again. Now, of course, I could just go back all the Eggers movies digitally no problem. I could even get Hereditary and Midsommar BUT the only version of Midsommar that is available digitally is the theatrical version. If you want the director's cut here (UK) then you need to buy the blu ray. It also doesn't come in 4K. There was a 4K version released in the US. So that's also why I didn't want to move to 4K blu ray. It would piss me off having some movies in 4K and some in 1080p.

so i felt like i HAD to buy The Northman blu ray because it would seriously annoy me if I didn't have it. I only bought it to shut my brain the fuck up and have it sit in a drawer for years without ever being watched. i know it sounds stupid as hell but that's how my mind is working.

anyway, going forward the only blu rays i can see myself buying are S3 of His Dark Materials. Of course, since it airs on BBC i could just watch it in 4K HDR on iPlayer but that's not enough for me. I love those books and need a physical copy of them. And...if we get any more Ari Aster/Robert Eggers movies I will need to buy blu ray copies of them to complete the collection. All this because the bloody DC version of Midsommar isn't available digitally lmao. I hate my brain.
The blu ray is superior quality to streaming. Less likely for compression and crushed blacks. The Northman has many dark scenes. Watch the blu ray. Even with 4k streaming my blacks get crushed.

Next time you want to get rid of movies shoot me a line I will send you an address and pay shipping.

GymWolf

The blu ray is superior quality to streaming. Less likely for compression and crushed blacks. The Northman has many dark scenes. Watch the blu ray. Even with 4k streaming my blacks get crushed.

Next time you want to get rid of movies shoot me a line I will send you an address and pay shipping.

Not an expert, but isn't that a given?

Or they really release blue ray for important films with worse quality than a filthy streaming?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

yeah i know but i don't really care most of the time. streaming is more convenient.

maybe i'll regret it when i watch Northman over streaming and I might be tempted to look out my BR player.

i don't plan on buying many more discs.

you're about to have a shit load of fun. Odyssey is brilliant. I wasn't a huge fan of Digimon Cybersleuth games but a lot of people seem to like them. Are you going to buy Digimon Survive? I like Digimon but i don't know if I'm going to get it yet. Links Awakening was fun!

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So, I noticed that one of my favorite jazz groups re-pressed their first album on vinyl but I missed the window of availability as it's currently going for $50 on Amazon (I still might buy it :messenger_downcast_sweat:).

I opted instead to get their 3rd release, Tres.
iu

I also picked up one of my favorite LPs to come this year, Wet Leg's self-titled debut.
iu
Well the wife gave the thumbs up on that $50 album so I caved. Turns out it ships from Japan, which makes sense as they are a Japanese band and I don't think they have much exposure here in the states. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

91p6hyGafJL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
yeah i know but i don't really care most of the time. streaming is more convenient.

maybe i'll regret it when i watch Northman over streaming and I might be tempted to look out my BR player.

i don't plan on buying many more discs.

you're about to have a shit load of fun. Odyssey is brilliant. I wasn't a huge fan of Digimon Cybersleuth games but a lot of people seem to like them. Are you going to buy Digimon Survive? I like Digimon but i don't know if I'm going to get it yet. Links Awakening was fun!

If I buy Digimon Survive, it's going to be on Series X

Pretty set for games for a while though between Xbox and Switch now lol

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This really is a pitch perfect little post-hipster indie rock album here. Definitely one where the sum is greater than its parts. Lots of fantastic ear worms and cheeky lyrics here. Nice, simple, effective.

I enjoyed it too.
It’s got a solid place in my top 5 for this year. Zach Bryan’s album will probably take first place. That one is a perfect album for me. Already ordered the vinyl but it’s out into March delivery. :messenger_loudly_crying:

teezzy

Banned
It’s got a solid place in my top 5 for this year. Zach Bryan’s album will probably take first place. That one is a perfect album for me. Already ordered the vinyl but it’s out into March delivery. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Ocean Grove - Up in the Air Forever is my current 2022 bop of choice

It was another fun year for music man

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Future proofing. Not really sure what route I'll be going down, especially so late in the console's lifespan. Got CFW on my Vita and 3DS. Switch will likely follow.

Also Prime Day sales. Thing was 50% off

I Have No Idea Shrug GIF
Let me know how ring fit is. I skipped it but really like the idea of it.

Lady Jane

Banned
We got lawn care equipment last weekend after we got a $200 bill from our grass cutting service. Apparently that's a good mower for a small lawn because our neighbors went to talk to my husband, looking at it like it was a Ferrarri in the driveway.

GyOTsEE.jpg
QqABC9U.jpg

Last edited:

Aesius

We got lawn care equipment last weekend after we got a $200 bill from our grass cutting service. Apparently that's a good mower for a small lawn because our neighbors went to talk to my husband, looking at it like it was a Ferrarri in the driveway.

GyOTsEE.jpg
QqABC9U.jpg
I've got a Ryobi electric mower and trimmer. Never going back to gas-powered lawn equipment again!

Lady Jane

Banned
I've got a Ryobi electric mower and trimmer. Never going back to gas-powered lawn equipment again!

Which electric mower did you get? I've only heard bad things about their life expectancy. We spent a lot of money on that mower because Honda is apparently the "Cadillac" of small engines and build. Also came with a 5 year warranty.

And yeah, when things are electric, my husband goes with Ryobi. One battery working on multiple products is so nice.

Last edited:

Aesius

Which electric mower did you get? I've only heard bad things about their life expectancy. We spent a lot of money on that mower because Honda is apparently the "Cadillac" of small engines and build. Also came with a 5 year warranty.

And yeah, when things are electric, my husband goes with Ryobi. One battery working on multiple products is so nice.
The life expectancy is mostly about the batteries, which will lose their capacity over time like any batteries. I got this one: https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396036995

It comes with two batteries and you can switch batteries mid-mow if one of them dies.

Lady Jane

Banned
The life expectancy is mostly about the batteries, which will lose their capacity over time like any batteries. I got this one: https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396036995

It comes with two batteries and you can switch batteries mid-mow if one of them dies.

It must be good for that price. That's the most expensive electric mower I've seen. And my husband made a comment and I believe him. He said that most times a mower breaks, it's because the owner didn't take care of it by not cleaning it regularly and basic maintenance. So I think as long as you get a quality mower and basic care after each use, you'll be fine.

And yeah, Ryobi is quality.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not very exciting but a year of Bitwarden Premium.

i set up 2FA with TOTP on some accounts but have been using the iOS password manager which i suppose is fine but its a pain in the ass because Bitwarden is my main password manager. i thought i could switch the 2FA accounts over to Bitwarden but TOTP is a premium feature. Even though ive upgraded it seems to be buggy. the codes are appearing on the desktop app but not on my iOS app or browser extension so its pretty much useless. it was only £8.50 ($10) for a year so not gonna complain.

i also tried out the Microsoft Authenticator but didnt like it. I downloaded Authy but its asking for my phone number. I might try the Google one

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
new washing machine. couldn't tell you exact model but it's a samsung series 5+ something.

tried connected it to my phone but wasn't working. not bothered because it seems a bit silly to me. i could hardly use my old washing machine :messenger_tears_of_joy: but this is easier to use because you pick what you're washing and it picks the best settings. muuuuch quieter too :)

i must be officially old now that i'm excited about a washing machine lol.

Last edited:

Mohonky

l7vGd8t.jpg

I wear prescription glasses and while I have prescription sunglasses, its a pain to wear them and go in and out of tree cover or find myself riding back when the sun is setting and its too dark.

So I got these goggles to wear out mountainbiking over my clear glasses; had my first ride today, no fogging, sat over my glasses nice and the Iriz Ultra Contrast lens did its job so yeh, happy.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Shipping direct to a friend for his daughter's birthday. She adores Luigi. Every time I have seen her since she was old enough to hold a Gameboy or a controller she has been playing something with Luigi in it. I think she's going to like it. It's from Sideshow. The ghost dog lights up.

bdi8lTV.jpg
This is cool as shit. I have the Phazon Prime Metroid figure from First4Figures, good stuff

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm very very excited getting these 2 shirts! One's a gift, the other as well but it's a gift to me from me Haha!

Happy they should arrive a small week before my birthday (that was the purpose more or less...)

K10XqGi.jpg

CwEGhEe.jpg
jPQVbp5.jpg

Now waiting till the 9th 😭

So, I noticed that one of my favorite jazz groups re-pressed their first album on vinyl but I missed the window of availability as it's currently going for $50 on Amazon (I still might buy it :messenger_downcast_sweat:).

I opted instead to get their 3rd release, Tres.
iu

I also picked up one of my favorite LPs to come this year, Wet Leg's self-titled debut.
iu

Wet Leg is a great album and band. I've given them serious thought for one of my videos I do this year.

DonJorginho

Banned
decided to pick up a casual laptop for working from home, light music production when traveling without risking the macbook, and most importantly, to get that Football Manager fix 😉

TvyueSD.jpg

Top Bottom