• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Disco Elysium, just jumped to it after the wife and I finished Dangonrompa. Also let's playing Oblivion in my hobby time to make sure I'm getting in my mandatory 8 hours a week of RPG gaming :p

images

Holy cow this game is amazing. I kept hearing it was good, but it's exceeded my expectations. It's very difficult to put down.

Roommate's have been hogging the PS4 lately so I've been playing games from the backlog. Max Payne 3 multiplayer and Borderlands 2, both on PS3. MP3 still has an active online community and while I never got into it when I first played it, it's been a lot of fun this time around. BL2 I bought years back but never got around to playing it until a couple months ago and it has been a blast.

ssringo

Spent the weekend playing Resident Evil 7. I skipped it until now due to not liking first person but finally relented with Village's recent videos (bought the RE7/8 package).

I've beat the game twice now and enjoyed it much more than i thought I would. But it really didn't feel like Resident Evil to me. At least not until somewhere around Marguerite's boss fight.

BadFunnyGuy

Neo Member
And why or why not would you recommend someone else to play it?

Please do not post unmarked spoilers.

I am currently playing Wolfenstein 2 on Xbox One X.

I would recommend playing it. It has surprised me with great storytelling and a mature but coherent plot. The visuals are stunning to me, and it is loaded with interesting personalities. Off the wall but good.

I do not recommend it if younger. The game is very mature in its themes and plots. This is definitely not a game for younger, not matured kids.
Been playing a lot of MCC lately, and while this isn't a game, I've been going through Umineko:When The Seagulls Cry.

For MCC, I'd recommend it. 343i have fixed a large quantity of the issues present and all 4 games are out. Together, everything is $40. The only downside is that you have to "manually" install everything you buy, which is dumb and something that 343i should fix. That aside though, the games take me back to 2008-10 and I feel like the port is pretty good.

And for Umineko, I'd once again recommend it. It's a good mystery, that's for sure and I'm almost finished with it. Though if you do get it, I recommend downloading the mod that brings voice acting and PS3 sprites as the version that's on Steam doesn't exactly have any voice acting, and I feel like the PS3 sprites are superior to the remade sprites that are in the Steam release.

Labadal

Troubleshooter.

Such a fun tactical, turn-based game. I love it.

There's lots of character customization, and lots of fun system.

lachesis

Its good but they could have done a lot more nailing the 1988 vibe...otherwise it looks like your in a world of 1998...
I think you are correct, but I don't really blame them much. Only thing that really bothered me was the hairstyle of most people & characters, some posters that seem out of place, etc. Perhaps it's there due to more "licensing" issues, or perhaps overlooked items? (Considering they had to re-use the assets from other games from more modern era)

But it kinda went away once I did Majima singing his song - 24 hour Cinderella, which really is an parody of popular Jpop idol, Hikaru Genji w/ all that roller skate - and not exactly sure what Kiryu's Homage is... probably Otokogumi's Route 17. (I was big Jpop fan back then, so it was a special treat.)

Whatever it is... I find Japan's real estate development is quite slower paced than other eastern asian countries like South Korea, and China - especially once you turn corner and go to the back alleys.
Sure a lot of big road buildings gets re-decorated and all... but that basic infrastructure really hasn't changed much compared to SK or China.

If you visit other places in a few years - they tend to tear down a lot of things and build a brand spanking new buildings and all, new subways and all - it's sometimes mind boggling coming from 3rd world airport city like NYC. :)

Compared to that, Japan hasn't fallen to that though and kept a lot of Showa area things alive throughout Heisei and even today. Sometimes amazed how meticulously they kept it up over the years, even though you clearly see, they are from different era. Perhaps it's a sign of bursted bubble - but personally not a bad thing, as it really takes me back to my childhood memories.

Spent the weekend playing Resident Evil 7. I skipped it until now due to not liking first person but finally relented with Village's recent videos (bought the RE7/8 package).

I've beat the game twice now and enjoyed it much more than i thought I would. But it really didn't feel like Resident Evil to me. At least not until somewhere around Marguerite's boss fight.
I thought it felt more Resident Evil than any game since 3 or Code Veronica.

ssringo

I thought it felt more Resident Evil than any game since 3 or Code Veronica.
Yeah, I've seen this divide amongst players since release. I think, for me at least, it's the presentation of the first 2 or 3 hours (give or take) on your first run. Older RE titles leaned into zombie tropes with a helping of cheese before going full on biohazard (monsters and mutations). RE7 went for the crazy backwoods family horror (and associated gore) and even more modern horror (relatively speaking) with "found footage" a la Blair Witch and it took itself more seriously to boot.

When I say it doesn't "feel like RE" I mean the presentation more than the gameplay.

Last game I played was RE7. Giving it another chance. I had a blast so far, so hopefully I'll beat it this time! Other titles I played lately are Ghost of Tsushima, Megaman X8 on the PS2, and some other stuff I forgot about

ACESHIGH

Banned
Burnout Revenge on PS2 emulator PCSX2. Fuck EA for not releasing this on PC and modern platforms and going with the much inferior Paradise.

RAIDEN1

I think you are correct, but I don't really blame them much. Only thing that really bothered me was the hairstyle of most people & characters, some posters that seem out of place, etc. Perhaps it's there due to more "licensing" issues, or perhaps overlooked items? (Considering they had to re-use the assets from other games from more modern era)

But it kinda went away once I did Majima singing his song - 24 hour Cinderella, which really is an parody of popular Jpop idol, Hikaru Genji w/ all that roller skate - and not exactly sure what Kiryu's Homage is... probably Otokogumi's Route 17. (I was big Jpop fan back then, so it was a special treat.)

Whatever it is... I find Japan's real estate development is quite slower paced than other eastern asian countries like South Korea, and China - especially once you turn corner and go to the back alleys.
Sure a lot of big road buildings gets re-decorated and all... but that basic infrastructure really hasn't changed much compared to SK or China.

If you visit other places in a few years - they tend to tear down a lot of things and build a brand spanking new buildings and all, new subways and all - it's sometimes mind boggling coming from 3rd world airport city like NYC. :)

Compared to that, Japan hasn't fallen to that though and kept a lot of Showa area things alive throughout Heisei and even today. Sometimes amazed how meticulously they kept it up over the years, even though you clearly see, they are from different era. Perhaps it's a sign of bursted bubble - but personally not a bad thing, as it really takes me back to my childhood memories.
They could have looked at this for inspiration: this is Japan 80s vibe...and even has the Yakuza in it!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finally dug into to Risk of Rain 2 after owning it since it launched. I've got two clears now and unlocked the Huntress (favorite), Mul-T (meh-T), Engineer (2nd Fav), Artificer (no idea what I'm doing), and the Captain (not sure I love the concept of his shotgun).

I've been playing Outlanders with a buddy. The networking is a mess but it's pretty fun when everything is working. It's super generic and unintentionally hilarious. Loading to a 4 second cut scene of jumping a gap, climbing/repelling from a rope, opening a door or squeezing through a crack will never not be funny. I'm hoping we are nearing the end.

I've been messing around with Forza 4 again too. The game is way too busy with events and whatnot and I'm not really a fan of the locales, but I did finally discover the last road I was missing, did the same for the Lego and Fortune Island expansions. I didn't realize it but I'd never been to Fortune Island. haha

Last edited:

OrionNebula

Control, which I only find a bit above average, unfortunately

So I’ve started Tales of Berseria, because I don’t want to spend 100% of my gaming time on Control

Doczu

1st playthrough of Days Gone on survival difficulty. I really like the game, the minimal hud + no fast travel makes for a great experience.
Looks great, a little bit janky melee combat and nice crafting/resource management.

And man, why are there so many TDI cars in the US? It feels like the apocalypse happened when people were on their way to a diesel meet-up 😂

Nearly finished Yakuza Like a Dragon. Love this series so much. I feel Iike they are constantly getting better and better.
I dont like turn base,but love yakuza. Do you think I would still like it? I quit persona 5 because of the turn base, But could tolerate it in the south park games.

Everything I have on Steam, EGS, Amazon Games, Origin, GOG and Gamepass... because right before the start of my 1 week "vacation" they delivered my new PC... and it is fucking glorious (not the reorganizing everything over from my old machine part, but the gaming...man, it is awesome)!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just got into Cold War. Liking it. Some maps are shit though (Express and Raid rehashes? Ugh). I played the MW beta and hated it, yet I'm liking Cold War. Go figure.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Decided to buy Skyrim VR while it's on sale, so I've been playing that. Might give some of the PSVR titles I got for free recently a go too.

sainraja

Destiny 2 for the most part. I just finished Miles Morales (will start Spiderman Remastered to finish the last DLC). I tried getting into Outriders but I don't think the game is for me (right now anyway); I am selling my PS5 copy and if I feel like going back to it, will just do it on Game Pass (if it is still there when I do.)

I did start Demon Souls but I will wait on finishing it and work on some other games. But my main game is Destiny 2 right now and the next season starts soon so might not be able to start other games then LOL.

BigLee74

Just got into Cold War. Liking it. Some maps are shit though (Express and Raid rehashes? Ugh). I played the MW beta and hated it, yet I'm liking Cold War. Go figure.

2 of the best maps in the game so far. Very telling that they are identical remakes from Black Ops 2.

Cold War is good fun though. Over the year, I’ve come to enjoy it more than I did MW. More maps will only help.

Burnout Revenge on PS2 emulator PCSX2. Fuck EA for not releasing this on PC and modern platforms and going with the much inferior Paradise.

Cool choice (y). I love every entry of Burnout.

FYI: It's available on Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series. I know, I have it installed...

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Cool choice (y).

FYI: It's available on Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series. I know, I have it installed...

Yeah, I'd love those OG xbox and 360 games to be available to buy on PC even as emulated XBOX versions. Games like PGR, Gears from 2 though Judgement, Black, RDR and more.

Xbox BC is amazing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd love those OG xbox and 360 games to be available to buy on PC even as emulated XBOX versions. Games like PGR, Gears from 2 though Judgement, Black, RDR and more.

Xbox BC is amazing.

For sure! Even though I'd prefer to play the Burnout games on a console, I'd like all of them to be on PC natively just for preservation (and for others who don't have access to a modern Xbox so that they can enjoy them).

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
Tried a few of the free Play at Home games, but didn't like any so far - Enter the Gungeon not my cup of tea, The Witness too boring, & Subnautica too scary.

Now back playing Minish Cap on my Nintendo DS, which is very enjoyable. Has a lot of charm & fantastic spritework for the GBA.

f83fe5538a21f18705d042a8bd6e9a8f.png

Last edited:

lachesis

They could have looked at this for inspiration: this is Japan 80s vibe...and even has the Yakuza in it!

Funny you mentioned Black Rain! I actually have a friend from Osaka, and she said she was in that movie as an extra when they filmed it in Dotonbori, Osaka. (like people walking by, etc) as a high schooler. :)

I think they added that "Blade Runner" feel to the movie though - probably for more cinematic and exotic feel & sense of danger - if not futuristic - but not really sure if Japanese themselves remember their 80's night street the same way. (I mean, it's kinda strange Osaka's night street as dangerous as some places in U.S. ;)) It would have been pretty cool though. The cinematography of Yakuza series feels like Japanese TV drama series type, not a Hollywood movie type. There's always some oddness in their dramas, that I can't really nail it down...

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Funny you mentioned Black Rain! I actually have a friend from Osaka, and she said she was in that movie as an extra when they filmed it in Dotenbori, Osaka. (like people walking by, etc) as a high schooler. :)

I think they added that "Blade Runner" feel to the movie though - probably for more cinematic and exotic feel & sense of danger - if not futuristic - but not really sure if Japanese themselves remember their 80's night street the same way. (I mean, it's kinda strange Osaka's night street as dangerous as some places in U.S. ;)) It would have been pretty cool though. The cinematography of Yakuza series feels like Japanese TV drama series type, not a Hollywood movie type. There's always some oddness in their dramas, that I can't really nail it down...
Fair point they don't have to give it the Blade Runner vibe, but at least make the characters look like they are from 1988..use that film as a reference point...nail the music...imagine if they managed to grab the rights to the music featured in this trailer for Yakuza - Zero that would have been AWESOME!

Got seriously sucked into Witcher 3 yesterday!

It is a title I could never get into. Think I was coming at it with an ARPG feel, where it is more of a traditional RPG. Bought it for just a few bucks when I picked up the Cyberpunk 2077 PC release. At 4K it is quite the sunner.

kingwingin

Swapping back and forth between tony hawk remastered and hades on switch.

Beat tony hawk on Xbox but had to double dip for the 120hz on ps5. Such a good game!

Hades tho, is an absolute masterpiece! Currently just finished my fifth run and they have absolutely nailed the naration. Voice acting is top notch and gameplay is so tight! I will absolutely double dip if it gets released on ps5.

KrisB

I dont like turn base,but love yakuza. Do you think I would still like it? I quit persona 5 because of the turn base, But could tolerate it in the south park games.
I think there’s a chance you might enjoy it. There’s even an auto battle mode that you can turn on and off with the L2 button if you just want the CPU to do the work.

After getting my new eig a week ago, i fell back into Skyrim-Modding... and lo and behold it just needed about a day before I got the 3080 on its knees with modding. ENB seems not to be optimized for 4k resolutions.

Orta

Banned
I'd like to be playing the otherwise excellent Shadow Man remastered but about six hours into the Temple of Fire I came across a game breaking glitch leaving me with no choice but to delete my save and start over again. Only for the glitch to happen again.

Grrr.

Top Bottom