• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Hey folks,

brand new here. I've been cycling between Red Dead Online, Warhammer 2 TW, and Mechwarrior 5 Mercs. Also did some retro playthroughs of the Homeworld games, KOTOR 1-2, and Myst: Riven. While covid has been tragic for many, it did buy me a lot of time to relive childhood gaming.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Gunstar Heroes [Genesis] - Did a playthru for the first time in years. Just as good as run n guns ever got. So much creativity and humor over every inch of this game. I love those little green dudes in the forest stage - I just noticed one is throwing up a peace sign after you finish Pink and her gang. I used to be so jealous of this game and my Genesis owning friend with me being a Nintendo kid back in the day.

Advance Wars [GBA and Gamecube GB Player] - my favorite strat game of all time - and another baffling franchise Nintendo has shelved. Even though it has such simplistic graphics and presentation, every map and mission has a story to tell - stuff like the lone troops posted on the mountain terrain getting maximum view range to spot that last hidden enemy arty that would have lost me the match. How incredible would an online Switch Wars entry be?

Halo MCC [XB1] - Multiplayer mostly on Halo 3. Gotta keep my Halo game up in the lead up to Infinite. 343 hinted Infinite flights are coming if you are part of the Insider program.
flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Been bouncing between a few games. Been grinding up my crafters in FFXIV, grinding through HR in MonHunRise and just beat the first boss of Returnal. So many great games and so little time.

kingwingin

Yakuza 5 was such a chore to play. Thought it was just fatigue from playing them so close together but currently in chapter 3 of yakuza 6 and I am back in love! So glad to just play as kiryu again

Mozzarella

I finished the Final Cut of Disco Elysium recently and i thought it was not that good, for example it won best indie of 2019, but i totally disagree and i think Outer Wilds should've won.
Anyway about what im playing, i was playing Ori and The Will of the Wisps yesterday, i also did some Slay the Spire runs.
Soon after reviews and initial reception im going to dive into RE: Village.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I was playing Darksiders Genesis.

Now started Returnal.

Planning to play a little bit of Wreckfest and Streets of Rage 4 after them.

lachesis

Running towards the end of Yakuza Kiwami.
I didn't expect much as many already said Yakuza Kiwami is step down from Zero - and it is indeed true.
The story wise, other than addition of Nishiki's story - the main storyline feel a bit outdated... but the biggest problem that I'm having with this game is the battles.

Being old, I'm not really that good at action games - and the certain battles feel unnecessarily harder than Zero. One of the Komaki's training that I had to fight this 4 fighters - and literally got beaten crap out of me from all directions with no way to really avoid nor dodge - had to use bunch of Staminan Royals and use the heat actions just to get by. It feels like at least a step up in difficulty from other Yakuza games that I hadn't really found that hard (unless you go and fight Amon or certain fighters in the tournament) Maybe I should lower the difficulty to easy. :(

Hoping to wrap up the game sometime in 2 weeks - and move onto something else. Heard Kiwami 2 is better, but I think will take a short break before jumping into Kiwami 2.

kyussman

After a few months off gaming(my PS4 backlog is pretty much done with,and no PS5 under my TV yet),I've just finished Nier Replicant,now a short wait till Mass Effect drops....really looking forward to it as I've wanted to replay the games for a long while and my PS3 broke sometime ago,so I had no way to replay them.

JLB

Banned
Just finished Fallout 4 and -after SO much time- Cuphead.
Now im finishing Wolfenstein II, which I stopped playing because for some weird reason was crushing all time on my One X.
Its absolutely unbelievable how good this game looks. Wolf 3 will be a beast.

Mr Hyde

Managed to get all the way to the Hand of the King in Dead Cells for the first time only to get wrecked in like 10 seconds. Had such a good build but I wasn't prepared for massive carnage. Ah well there's a next time.

Been really enjoying the roguelite genre lately with Dead Cells and Returnal. Never been a fan before, played a lot of Binding of Isaac, but the genre as a whole, never really grabbed me wholesale. Until now. Dead Cells is so good and addictive, and a perfect match on Switch with those fast pick up and play sessions.

I'm thinking about picking up Hades too. Heard so much good about it. It's like the king of roguelites. Very fun genre indeed.

ReCore.
250px-Recore_cover.jpg

It is a mix of 3D platforming and 3rd person shooter with RPG elements set in a postapocalyptic desert.

I am only 3 hours in but so far I've enjoyed the platforming and some Metroid Prime reminiscent elements like of course being a lonely woman exploring a hostile environment, but also the use of different shooting colours and the enemy lock system.
For now I don't have any advice about story and plot, but from what I saw it isn't the point.

Go for it:
  • if you like some platforming challenge (there are some rewards based on how fast you complete the levels or how many items you collect, and a special reward if you manage to achieve all at once).
  • if you are interested in some "TPS character action" beat 'em up with a combo system (although I'm not very far in the game, so I have not yet managed to master it and I can't say how deep it goes into complexity).
I don't recommend it:
  • if you are not patient enough or interested in starting levels over and over in order to 100% them.
  • if you are too easily bothered by repetitive RPG elements like upgrading your gear with mere numbers.

Enjoy it while it lasts. The finale of this game is.... horrible. Prepare for mindless grinding. Just as a heads up.

Watched the final hour or so on YT. I hate when games do this... Having fun so far? Good, now go back and grind for hours to beat the final section of the game.
Well, I beat it. Not 100% though, but I did get more than 75 orbs.
Indeed, that's a lot of grinding.
The platforming sections are interesting and challenging, but the exploration in the desert is tedious and the combat gets repetitive.
The story is serviceable but nothing to write home about. No alternative ending, no reward for completion...

I had a fun time with it though, but I think I would have enjoyed more a game based on the platforming with less tedious exploration, without grinding and with a more "Radiant Silvergun"-style combat.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just finished Persona 5 Strikers and now I want Persona 5-3 with all the Royal characters and confidants returning.

CloudNull

Banned
Demeo. The game came out of nowhere and has completely consumed me. It will eventually be playable on PC without VR but I highly recommend picking it up in VR if you can. Currently it is my GoTY and I cannot wait for the next chapter.

Zephir

Currently playing Resident Evil 7, since it was free on the psplus and I wasn't planning on buying RE8.

I'm sad because I've seen so many gameplay and streams these last years that I basically know everything now, including enemy spawn points and stalker triggers... Otherwise it would have been a genuine experience.

Still, it feels nice to play, except three things

1-don't know if it's the HDR or not, but the dark zones are Ultra dark, i can't see anything past the tiny flashlight

2-sometimes it gets REALLY blurry and i don't understand why

3-all the weapons, aside from the shotguns feels INCREDIBLY weak, like wow, it's like I'm throwing pebbles...and the smg is even worse

Nico_D

Got Hitman 3 with both 1 & 2. After finishing the last game, started from the beginning.

Also Star Wars Squadrons single player. Pretty excellent.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Jumped back into Mad Max after the 120hz update. IMO, it holds up well. Probably too much shit to do to clear the map but I don't know if that really is a knock against it. They nailed the atmosphere of the mad max universe.
Absolutely. I just did a camp earlier on a bridge and midway through I got the message that a storm is approaching. So I turn around, check out where it's coming from, wait until it engulfs the whole area and proceed to mop up the camp during the storm.

Must say I was mighty impressed. The atmosphere is insane.

Currently playing through Dragon Age: Origins, picked it up when it first came out but only did the Dwarf and Elf quests. Happy I never finished it. I am finding much more appreciation for the systems now, the tactical options are amazing and the branching story is pretty incredible. Looking forward to DA2 and Inquisition next even though I remember DA2 being a huge disappointment and being kinda weird overall. Highly recommend DA:O, fan-fucking-tastic game.

Markio128

Currently banging my head against a brick wall in Returnal’s biome 3 and banging into cars in Wreckfest, with a 80/20 percent split.

Last edited:
Demeo. The game came out of nowhere and has completely consumed me. It will eventually be playable on PC without VR but I highly recommend picking it up in VR if you can. Currently it is my GoTY and I cannot wait for the next chapter.
How much time can you get out of the first chapter? It looks super interesting, bit I'm nervous there's not enough meat on the bone currently

Mr Hyde

Went back to Horizon on a NG+. Going for the platinum. First impression after a couple of years absence is that it is still very beautiful, very epic in scale with larger than life production values. It's a shame it haven't gotten a proper patch for PS5 but the game is still very much enjoyable to play, running on PS4 pro settings.

CloudNull

Banned
How much time can you get out of the first chapter? It looks super interesting, bit I'm nervous there's not enough meat on the bone currently
I’ve already spent over 8 hours in game. I’ve beat the boss Twice but had over a handful of runs fail. I will continue to play because of the cosmetics unlockables and I still want to learn more about the gameplay. Certain skills work off each other and I am still learning all that.

With that being said, the only complaint the game has received is the one chapter.

I am a total noob to these types of games and I’ve always wanted to play dungeons and dragons so the game is like crack to me. I crack a beer and spend hours doing runs with some randoms.

If your heavily experienced in these types of games and looking to no life it then wait a little bit. New chapter is dropping in summer and probably tons of additional features. Overall though I highly recommend the game.

Sw0pDiller

I'm finishing ghost of tsushima on ps5 and it's amazing, game is a looker and the gameplay is great. Very good fighting mechanics even though I am kinda godlike powerful right now. After this I have nier replica digitally waiting on my ps5. Loved automata to death so can't wait to get involved. Might go platinum for ghost though.

lachesis

Finished Yakuza Kiwami a couple days ago. Even at my snail pace, I was able to finish it around 40 hours with all sub quests done.
In the end, the battle, as soon as I learned Tiger Drop - the tougher ones in the fighting arena became a joke. Amon Jo was different matter though. :( I did manage to beat him (1st phase was quite easy - but 2nd phase was something else).

What bothered me though was how that "heat" moves hardly does any damage on certain boss enemies. Probably it reduces the damage depending on how many times it was used on same character.. but seeing it doing a damage that's less than regular string combo actually was quite disappointing. It was also like that in Zero, but it was so much more so in Kiwami - where your levels are capped. In the end, I just had much more fun in Zero.

Thought about moving onto something else as I've played Yakuza games for past month or two now - but I don't now what's got into me & just started Kiwami 2.
1st thing I noticed is how different this really is... since I haven't played any newer Yakuza games after original 1, 2 and 3 - I was rather surprised with this new "Dragon Engine".
Sadly it's only 30fps on Series X. After the buttery smoothness of Zero and Kiwami - it felt really awkward going back to 30fps - but this engine does some great things.
No loading entering most buildings and all - created quite a bit seamless experience.

Right now, the battle feels more action RPG esque, rather than real brawler though. Character feels much heavier and feels like I'm moving thru under heavy mud in certain cases... but I'm still getting used to it. It feels like that oomp when you hit your opponent, has been weakened quite a bit, but maybe it will be better when I learn more sklls and all... One thing I don't really like about Kiwami 2 is Kiryu and Haruka's character modeling. Kiryu now has this weird look as if some plastic surgery went wrong. Perhaps it's the HDR or whatnot, but his lips are so red, as if someone put lipsticks on it, and eyes are so deep like western guy, that feels he's wearing some eye shadow.

Just began the chapter 4 - and the sniper on the building scene almost looked like a real photo for some reason. (Quite impressed with environmental rendering of the new engine - streets are quite beautiful and much more lush. It's just the characters sometimes feel rather doll like with new physics... when I see Kiryu knocked down like a rag doll, it kinda reminded me that limp opponents in Shenmue 3 LOL...)
Looking forward to the Kyaba Kura mini game though, as I had a lot of fun with it in Zero - and VF2/Virtual On. Wow. :) Also had quite a good time with Golf mini game, near pin one.

Other than that - finally bought Metroid Prime on my Wii U, via digital download. Was going to wait for the Switch ver - but for $19.99 & 3 games... why not, I thought.
Never played it on GC or Wii (I like 2D Metroids, but never played 3D ones) - and it was my first time of the Prime series. I normally don't like Wii-mote controls on any games - but this one really did quite a good job of making it quite natural. Only played up to the first save spot on first Metroid Prime, but even though it's old, and I don't really play FPS games much - but this seems to be quite something special going on. Very much looking forward to play more of this.

Eiknarf

Banned
Jumped back into Mad Max after the 120hz update. IMO, it holds up well. Probably too much shit to do to clear the map but I don't know if that really is a knock against it. They nailed the atmosphere of the mad max universe.
Just got it for $4.99 through the PS Store, and it’s really fun. Been playing for a week. The bone crushing, badass fights are delightful!!!
Seems like there’s a lot of little missions on the map though. Am I really supposed to do them all?! Seems repetitious

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Just got it for $4.99 through the PS Store, and it’s really fun. Been playing for a week. The bone crushing, badass fights are delightful!!!
Seems like there’s a lot of little missions on the map though. Am I really supposed to do them all?! Seems repetitious
I just got through completing the game with about half of the side missions completed. My vehicle and character are pretty much maxed out so doing them all isn't necessary.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Plants vs Zombies 2: Battle for Neighborville. Off Xbox game pass. It’s surprisingly solid - even the mmo-esque single player. I originally played it a bit on Origin subscription. Basically a hero shooter for casuals.

GeekyDad

Well, dabbled around a bit. I mentioned going back to Covenant of the Plume (DS). Good lord, forgot how fucking brutal it can be without pluming allies on that first playthrough. Got to the last battle of Chapter IV, was unwilling to plume for a second time, said fuck it for now. Tried (hadn't done a playthrough since about the time of its release) FFXII Revenant Wings, which is still loaded in my 3DS, but didn't go too far before trying for another playthrough of FFT. But after so much time with Tactics Ogre, I was not feeling the awkwardness of its maps/camera -- damn TO did such a great job rectifying things with such a simple update.

And...

I'm back to work on my CODA in Tactics Ogre. Fuck it. It's just like a favorite comfy blanket right now when there's nothing else I'm inspired to play. :D I might even try to finish the palace this time around -- who knows...

Tuff McNutt

You don't really need to. They do help you improve Max and his cares so the story missions will be easier. Like most open world games, I was obsessively clearing everything on the map until I got about halfway through the game and then I stopped, due to boredom and I was already maxed out or close to it.

Been playing mostly retro stuff lately like From Russia With Love and GoldenEye. Also some ROM hacks like Ultimate Mortal Kombat Arcade on Genesis which adds a tons of characters from the series to UMK3, and an "uncut" version of NARC on the NES.

Humdinger

The Outer Worlds. It's better than I expected so far, although from what I've heard, it loses steam about halfway through. I haven't played a dialog-rich RPG for a while, so I'm enjoying that aspect.

Corrik

Been playing a lot of MCC lately, and while this isn't a game, I've been going through Umineko:When The Seagulls Cry.

For MCC, I'd recommend it. 343i have fixed a large quantity of the issues present and all 4 games are out. Together, everything is $40. The only downside is that you have to "manually" install everything you buy, which is dumb and something that 343i should fix. That aside though, the games take me back to 2008-10 and I feel like the port is pretty good.

And for Umineko, I'd once again recommend it. It's a good mystery, that's for sure and I'm almost finished with it. Though if you do get it, I recommend downloading the mod that brings voice acting and PS3 sprites as the version that's on Steam doesn't exactly have any voice acting, and I feel like the PS3 sprites are superior to the remade sprites that are in the Steam release.
I am guessing you are playing on PC because MCC is actually 6 games?! I have so many achievements on MCC it's crazy but I still will never have all of them.

I think I might play Halo 5 soon. Been playing skyrim some.

Jebron

Returnal, and I'm on the struggle bus. I'm not good at these types of games but I'm trying to persevere. It's fun but I wish I was better.

Top Bottom