• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of PS5's look

Kikorin

The digital only version (the one I'll probably buy if the price difference is worth) looks decent, except for the huge size that I hate.

The blu-ray version to me looks ugly, especially because of the asymmetric design.

dan76

Hideous. Looks like something designed in 2003. Maybe it will be better in black, but the curves don't do it for me. The brutalist look PS4 is way better.

Shmunter

Tried it out of curiosity, but I still like the white better.

bap3YkC.jpg
The black looks more tasteful for my errr....taste

dilbag

The only thing that i don't like (and i even find it a bit sad that we've finally come to this) is that the disc drive looks like an afterhought something that was tacked on at the last minute. :(

The discless design looks more elegant IMO.

I agree it looks almost as if the disc drive is just sort of taped on the side. The discless version looks a lot better

I didn't like it when it first appeared on my screen when i was watching live. But it has grown on me. I wish it was all black. Like, the white parts are matte black and the middle part is gloss black.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Could be worse. At least it doesn’t look like a pc and keyboard lit up like a riced up Honda Civic or red light district brothel.
It's not that far from Gamer(tm) pc aesthetic. In my opinion it's probably ugliest console from at least last 25 years.

Pandor

Banned
To me, the design doesn't really matter, what is more important is how quiet the console will be.

Is there any indication? will it be a quiet console? Any info on that?

Shmunter

It's not that far from Gamer(tm) pc aesthetic. In my opinion it's probably ugliest console from at least last 25 years.
A bit of restraint would have been nice. I’m gonna come out on a limb and say ps3 original had a high end electronics aesthetic for its time. George Floyd grills notwithstanding.

And after the size comparisons it’s even more ridiculous. I’m positive the weird assed shape is a visual attempt to “shrink” a large console.

Last edited:
The digital one is okay I guess, but it’s the white colour which really spoils it. White just doesn’t look good these days unless it’s on something super sleek and minimalist. And well, the PS5 is certainly not that.

Self

I didn't like it when it first appeared on my screen when i was watching live. But it has grown on me. I wish it was all black. Like, the white parts are matte black and the middle part is gloss black.

Yes, same for me. I was certainly surprised by the 'extravaganza', but I have to admit: It looks neat.

I would still prefer all black.

Kdad

Did they show the right hand side....the one where the disc drive is? Must be full of venting if they need to put it on a stand when horizontal. I hope its the symbols grate like the alluded to in the reveal graphics...

quickwhips

I think it looks fine. I think they listen to fans to much but from some of the messages i got people are really excited by the design but i am not one of them.

SirTerry-T

Reminds me of the ZX80 for some reason. I think the curves give it that same vacuum formed look, especially on the Blu-ray version, along with the contrasting black elements.

Xk9SvhW.jpg

Esppiral

Looking at both versions the disc drive seems like an afterthought, that or they just want everyone the only digital version so they made it slick while the drive version looks like a Franquesteisn

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Looking at both versions the disc drive seems like an afterthought, that or they just want everyone the only digital version so they made it slick while the drive version looks like a Franquesteisn

Seems pretty obvious it was designed with the drive not being a factor. Obviously they knew it would have one but didn't want to design the box around a device needing a drive.

ZywyPL

Banned
Only way for that thing to not stand out is to make it invisible.

Depends on how effective the cooling will be, it might be possible to simply place it deep into the furniture at horizontal position and call it a day. But I'd die for a fully black model with white lights instead of blue, it would blend so damn well with all the rest living room electronics.

Ellery

Yeah this design is not for me. It tries to be somewhere between risky and "we have seen similar stuff before".

It doesn't really matter for my situation and doesn't affect my purchase at all, but I am surprised it is this big and looks the way it does.

In the end both the XSX and PS5 aren't what I hoped for in terms of design. I prefer the PS4 a lot, but I couldn't be more excited to replace my PS4 with the PS5

Mithos

SO...

When inserting a Disc, which way will the labeled side be facing...

standing up, labeled side out (facing away from ps5) feels right.
laying down, labeled side in(up) (facing toward the ps5) feels right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom