• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of PS5's look

Diddy X

looks like one of those UAE skycrappers,

The white is not too appealing, someone photoshop it in black? I think it would look way better, no pun intended lol

kuncol02

Banned
most disc drives have leads like that to guide the disc in, so we don't know for certain if there's something like this in that PS5 slot that's s similar to these extra slopes

people should use the USB-A port of both as a size comparison tho. way more reliable
That's really good point.

ZywyPL

Banned
As expected after Dualsense reveal, looks like a toy for kids. Hopefully there will be an all black version, or at least some dark themed one like black+grey/gunmetal, so it doesn't stand out in the living room (in the negative way).

Pizdetz

Banned
They tried hard to make it look like a "V". Ooo...the plot thickens. V = 5. This some resident eVil level bullshit.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Even with Sony's attempt at making it look sleek with curves and all, I can't help but think of something like this 2014 Steam Machine by Cyberpower. It looks awful in the gaudy PC look kind of way. When I build or buy a new PC I purposely avoid this kind of flashy gaudy look, and prefer my consoles to be understated as well.
HcHlCHf.jpg
It really looks like some "RGB Master Race" pc case. That's probably ugliest console I ever saw and it's coming from company which made PS2.

As expected after Dualsense reveal, looks like a toy for kids. Hopefully there will be an all black version, or at least some dark themed one like black+grey/gunmetal, so it doesn't stand out in the living room (in the negative way).
Only way for that thing to not stand out is to make it invisible.

Last edited:
Dubai wants its building back.

Seriously though, at first glance I liked it and respected the risk taking design (surprisingly so did my wife). But neither of us realized how big this fuckin thing is. And I don't think it's a design that will age well. They seem to have deliberately hidden the dimensions, for good reason.

This thing is going to be harder to fit in my entertainment center than the XseX due to its massive horizontal width.

cormack12

Gold Member
Man, was hoping this was a dream. Never was a gif so appropriate

C31w.gif

Ultimately you have two different approaches. Sony went wide and Microsoft went tall. Both are too big in their respective form factors, but at least the XsX is conventionally ugly. The problem is the height of the PS5 on its side.

I'm more interested in the weights now. 3KG felt too heavy for me. XsX is clocking in at 5KG and the X1X was 3.8KG. Pro was 3.3KG.

John254

Banned
Can we say, how tall PS5 is? Since XsX is about 30cm tall, i expect PS5 to be 45cm at best maybe more.

But design is..just bad. From a practical standpoint to made this thing dust free will be pain in the ass, and while vertically console looks okay, horizontally it looks as bad as it can get.

It's really bad, when design mockups from community is 10 times better then actual console design.

Amaranty

It looks futuristic and I like it, but I also like the XSX design. The size doesn't bother me also.

Overall, I don't really give a damn what consoles look like. I'll only look at it if I want to put a disc in.

Tulipanzo

I actually really dig it! I want to see it better lying on its side, and maybe get some official measurements, but it looks stunning so far.
Very modern, and curvy without being too chunky; it looks new! I'm curious of how it will look with my setup.

I think the very varied memes (which have been on point) speak to how unique the design is.
Unlike with XSX, where everyone pretty much called it a fridge from minute one.

vdopey

I love the controller, the headphones, the camera all of that looks superb the unit itself I just don't know it just looks weird. I'm sure it would fit in fine in my living room, its just that it just looks weird like a helmet from destiny:

https://d2.destinygamewiki.com/mediawiki/images/e/e1/Brave_Titan_Helm1.jpg

or this:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Overlay.png/revision/latest?cb=20160729101025

or something from warframe like this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xZEtTV0JSCE/maxresdefault.jpg

or this:
https://content.warframe.com/Mobile.../SteamWorkshop/Skins/Volt/VoltZenerHelmet.png

It's really quite an ugly looking console. It's been a while since we've seen one so ugly though, so props to them for bringing that kind of thing back.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I think it looks..... fine. Not amazing but it looks good. If it's quiet, plays games with high performance, and stays cool that is all I am really worried about

Relativ9

The digital only version looks tight, the bluray drive on the "regular" version completely ruins the aesthetics.

It Looks really Great.Till now the most futuristic looking console.This looks very expensive and high end,would look very nice besides very expensive TVs,would not look out of place like all the other consoles.The other consoles are unoriginal,plain boxes without character.This is amazing and I am sure it will look even more impressive in person.

Tevious

I'm not too crazy about it. Hopefully some 3rd party manufacturer's make some case mods to replace that white chunk of plastic.

Lanrutcon

Next gen is apparently all about ugly consoles.

But who cares. You buy the things to play games not to display on a coffee table.

The memes for this behemoth are gonna be comedy gold.

I'm looking forward to owning both new consoles but Holy shit we need the slim refreshes STAT.

Sethbacca

I wonder if you can orient it so that the disk drive is on the top right rather than lower bottom? Aesthetically, I think it would be more pleasing since I don't plan on putting it vertical as I tend not to put my $500 toys in the position most likely to wind up with them being destroyed.

Ogbert

I actually quite like it, but it surprised me. I can see a lot of people disliking the futuristic look as opposed to a neutral box.

Sorcerer

It looks similar to some wii knockoffs I have seen at stores such as Dollar General. Sony really should have stuck with the development kit.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Looks futurist. I dig it. Id prefer an all black, or 2 tones of black.

Both consoles look good tbh. Xbox S X looks way better than last gen.
I want a all black PS5

It gives you that futuristic vibe,and that's great.But after seen it,now I kinda prefer devkit look,just slightly touched here and there.Two questions:
From what I see,is rounded on both sides,stand is required for vertical and horizontal posicion,is it includet in package,or have to buy separate?
Two models,is digital edition equiped with larger SSD capacity?

sublimit

Banned
The only thing that i don't like (and i even find it a bit sad that we've finally come to this) is that the disc drive looks like an afterhought something that was tacked on at the last minute. :(

The discless design looks more elegant IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom