• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

I want this to be successful so Relic can make a game about the Inquisition. RPG/detective story - that would be a blast to play.

P.S. Wait a sec - Steam version doesn't support X360 pad?

Glass Rebel

Castor Krieg said:
I want this to be successful so Relic can make a game about the Inquisition. RPG/detective story - that would be a blast to play.

P.S. Wait a sec - Steam version doesn't support X360 pad?

Yes it does.

Fjordson

Just pre-ordered the 360 version this morning. Loved the demo!

As I've said in the demo thread, this is great timing as I'm currently reading The Founding and I have four other 40k omnibuses sitting on my desk. It's been great diving into the universe. Probably going to read Eisenhorn next.

Seriously beautiful OT, btw. One of the coolest I've seen in a while.

Salazar

Keiician said:
Does anyone know when can we expect the first reviews?

Fuck those squealing heretics.

Raphael von Lierop's CV is growing fine if this is awesome. Company of Heroes and DoW.

Jamie OD

Excellent OT. I only started paying attention to the game this week and boy am I now excited. I'll always be an Ork fanboy though thanks to Gorkamorka. "Da red wunz alwayz go fasta!"

WAAAAGGHH!!!

Twinduct

Great news Brethren!
One my clients will be paying me earlier than expected! Will be picking this up from Steam!
Blood ravens!!

Salazar

Twinduct said:
Blood ravens!!

Ain't nothin next to Leman "I can't stop suplexing primarchs" Russ.

Ao5rX.jpg

Twinduct

Salazar said:
Ain't nothin next to Leman "I can't stop suplexing primarchs" Russ.

Ao5rX.jpg
Pfft founding chapter bs :p

More to the point, I've recently finished the Ravenor omnibus by Dan Abnett. I honestly don't care for the imperial guard anymore. Any decent (read not boring) novel fixated on one of the chapters?

Edit: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Horus_Heresy_Series <-- Horus Series looks meaty. My only worry is the different authors, does the story hold up well enough until the end?

Twinduct said:
Pfft founding chapter bs :p

More to the point, I've recently finished the Ravenor omnibus by Dan Abnett. I honestly don't care for the imperial guard anymore. Any decent (read not boring) novel fixated on one of the chapters?

Edit: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Horus_Heresy_Series <-- Horus Series looks meaty. My only worry is the different authors, does the story hold up well enough until the end?

I've heard good things about the Space Wolves and Ultramarines omnibuses, but haven't read them myself.

I'm 10 books into the Horus Heresy Series and I would say it's holding up well so far. Reveals quite a lot of stuff we didn't previously know.

Dennis

Banned
We need a game about the Blood Angels.

The Chapter for real men.

Sanguinius gave his life fighting Horus for the Emperor while the other pussy Primarchs were busy doing some pussy stuff.

derFeef

God I love Warhammer art. And yeah, Blood Angels might be my favourite Chapter by the description and mystery they are shrouded in. Any specific books that cover them?

Doh, I always write Blood Ravens because of the games ;)

Salazar

Twinduct said:

Horus Heresy books are splendid - with only a couple of exceptions: the Blood Angels one is shite, for example. The Space Wolves omnibus (there are two, actually) is awesome - as are the Soul Drinkers and Grey Knights ones.

Edit: The Grey Knights one is really fucking strange.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Twinduct said:
I honestly don't care for the imperial guard anymore.

What the...I don't even. Abnett's IG books surpass everything else that Black Library has put out.

Twinduct said:

The writing quality is -widely- variable (with Abnett being the best and going down from there). There's a lot of fan-fic quality writing in this series, unfortunately. Probably worth reading because Horus's betrayal is so central to the history of the 40K universe.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I am 90% set on pre-ordering this game. Just stuck on which pre-order bonus to get, since they all look neat. Leaning towards the Space Wolves.

Melee looks awesome in this game, but I'm curious how it will work out in multiplayer. What happens when 2 people swing their melee weapons at each other at the same time? Dynasty-Warriors-style blade-lock button mashing? Hopefully not.

Twinduct

luxarific said:
What the...I don't even. Abnett's IG books surpass everything else that Black Library has put out.

The writing quality is -widely- variable (with Abnett being the best and going down from there). There's a lot of fan-fic quality writing in this series, unfortunately. Probably worth reading because Horus's betrayal is so central to the history of the 40K universe.

Lol Nah, I meant more along the lines of 'Had enough IG to keep me happy for the time being' ... in no way do I mean it as a negative :p

Hmm, Oh well, it's not like I'm going to lose anything from reading it :D
Thanks for the advice!

Salazar said:
Horus Heresy books are splendid - with only a couple of exceptions: the Blood Angels one is shite, for example. The Space Wolves omnibus (there are two, actually) is awesome - as are the Soul Drinkers and Grey Knights ones.

Edit: The Grey Knights one is really fucking strange.

Shite as in written badly? Or just dreadfully boring? I saw the Space Wolves one, but couldn't decide which series I want to tackle first. Is there any chronological order on reading these series?

DeathIsTheEnd said:
I've heard good things about the Space Wolves and Ultramarines omnibuses, but haven't read them myself.

I'm 10 books into the Horus Heresy Series and I would say it's holding up well so far. Reveals quite a lot of stuff we didn't previously know.

To be honest, I have a very limited understanding of the whole Universe. So stuff like this would interest me greatly!

OK guys thanks for the input. Unless there is some chronological order to any of these series or a reader's order (Must read before etc). I'm going to start with the Horus series!

Edit: Drat, not on the kindle store. oh well paper back delivery.

panda21

this seems like it might be fun, but all the media i have seen of it (from the demo i think) is just very brown boring looking environments that really put me off.

Salazar

Twinduct said:
Shite as in written badly? Or just dreadfully boring? I saw the Space Wolves one, but couldn't decide which series I want to tackle first. Is there any chronological order on reading these series?

My mistake. I was thinking of the Emperor's Children one, "Visions of Treachery". With the great douche Fulgrim. It's just a bit tediously emphatic about the fatal decadence of the chapter, which isn't as interesting a flaw as those of the other traitor legions.

Battle For the Abyss is fucking cool, as is A Thousand Sons.

There is no real chronological order in which it is best to read most of the Horus Heresy; it is, though, ideal to read the first three books in order.

panda21 said:
this seems like it might be fun, but all the media i have seen of it (from the demo i think) is just very brown boring looking environments that really put me off.

I think there is quite a bit of cathedral-ish architecture around. It's not all makeshift industrial shite that looks like orks built it.

Is it still okay to download the demo unofficialy from Steam in the UK, or will bad stuff happen to me?

I've played the demo on my 360 but I want to check it out on the PC before I buy it.

Erico said:
I am 90% set on pre-ordering this game. Just stuck on which pre-order bonus to get, since they all look neat. Leaning towards the Space Wolves.

Melee looks awesome in this game, but I'm curious how it will work out in multiplayer. What happens when 2 people swing their melee weapons at each other at the same time? Dynasty-Warriors-style blade-lock button mashing? Hopefully not.

I've been pondering that, too. I hope to GOD that it's at least better than Uncharted 2's melee system.

Space Marine quotes!!! Everybody loves them

Space Marines on their armor...

The uniforms of the Imperial Guard are camouflaged in order to protect their wearers by hiding them from sight.
The principle is that what the enemy cannot see he cannot kill. This is not the way of the Adeptus Astartes. A Space Marine’s armour is bright with heraldry that proclaims his devotion to his Chapter and the beloved Emperor of Mankind. Our principle is that what the enemy can see, he will soon learn to fear…
+++ Chaplain Aston, 10th Company, Fire Hawks Chapter +++

on faith and duty...

To the darkness I bring fire. To the ignorant I bring faith. Those who welcome these gifts may live, but I will visit naught but death and eternal damnation on those who refuse them.
+++ Chaplain Grimaldus of the Black Templars, hero of Helsreach +++

Let a wave of repugnance for the enemy wash over you. Let hatred fill you. Hate is good, for our goal is a Human galaxy. We are called by the Emperor with a sacred duty to conquer it in His name.
+++ Chaplain Grimaldus of the Black Templars at the Sermon of Harnoth +++

The Emperor extends His will to us when we destroy the wicked and impure to reconquer the galaxy in His name. The Emperor leads the galaxy to righteousness, and thus we must petition for His judgement on the wicked... for it is judgement without mercy..
+++ High Marshal Helbrecht of the Black Templars, addressing his warriors prior to the Cleansing of Gemenon Majoris +++

Within dark and forgotten places hide the enemies of the Emperor. You have been chosen to enter such places and cleanse it. Take with you weapons, a valiant heart and the Emperor's blessing, and engage the enemy where it makes its lair. Acknowledge death as it approaches, but do not succumb to its touch, for your purpose is great. You have proved yourselves to be worthy of the status you now hold. Every one of you standing here, all of whom have declared allegiance to the Emperor and take his will as your guide, have shown your courage and have been rewarded for it. Those that stand before me, I charge you now, go forth and vanquish the foe.
+++ sermon made by Chaplain Hanius to Blood Angels Terminator Squads before the attack on Thain II +++

"Lead us from death to victory, from falsehood to truth.
Lead us from despair to hope, from faith to slaughter.
Lead us to His strength and an eternity of war.
Let His wrath fill our hearts.
Death, war, and blood;
in vengeance serve the Emperor and the name of Dorn!"

+++"Suffer not the Unclean to live", prayer and vow of the Black Templars Chapter+++ 5

DennisK4 said:

Sanguinius gave his life fighting Horus for the Emperor while the other pussy Primarchs were busy doing some pussy stuff.

Man...Horus = NO joke.

Mithel

Neo Member
I think the best bit about the W40K lore is that everyone, alien or otherwise, is some variety of space jerk.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I like the quotes that basically tell the imperial guard that it's perfectly OK for them to die by the millions at a time.

"Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life."
"What is the terror of death? That we die, our work incomplete. What is the joy of life? To die, knowing that our task is done."
"The graves of the warriors who have given their lives for the Emperor now outnumber the stars themselves."
Et cetera.

I'd like to imagine guardsmen giving each other nervous looks in the trenches once the commissar starts spouting these lines.

JoeBoy101

Mithel said:
I think the best bit about the W40K lore is that everyone, alien or otherwise, is some variety of space jerk.

Well, given that to power the Golden Throne for the Emperor and the Astronomican, a thousand pyskers are sacrificed daily...

That pretty much sets the tone.

Satchel

Banned
Just played the demo and this game is fucking awesome.

Gears of War meets God of War, what's not to love?

They nailed the control and feel of the game.

edit: oops.

daedalius

Twinduct said:

I found the Grey Knights books to be quite well done; they are at least fun to read ;)

Probably helps I love Grey Knights, and that is what my TT army consists of.

So, DEM WEAPON VIDS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxbldHWGblQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfev1yOCIeA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiDLcFPLnSs&feature=related

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

derFeef

Oh my, he grabs the Demon at it's tongue and flips it over oO.
Adding them to the OT later, thanks for posting, I did not know them.

legbone

Corky said:
this uses the darksiders engine correct?

yep. it may even be the darksiders II engine which is just an iteration of the first engine (if i remember correctly). they are getting really good cross platform performance out of this thing. seems like they have a really solid engine on their hands. i would like to see it licensed out since it seems to work better than ue3 for certain things. especially since they fixed the tearing issues the first engine had.

DryvBy

I can't see anything at work (luckily, they don't know about Gaf working). What is this game like? It fell under my radar when I first heard about it. I'm debating this or Dead Island, but I want to make sure I'm getting my 60 bones worth. Is this similar to any other game?

ultron87

DryvBy2 said:
I can't see anything at work (luckily, they don't know about Gaf working). What is this game like? It fell under my radar when I first heard about it. I'm debating this or Dead Island, but I want to make sure I'm getting my 60 bones worth. Is this similar to any other game?

It's like Gears and God of War had a baby.

Try the demo when you are off work.

DryvBy

ultron87 said:
It's like Gears and God of War had a baby.

Try the demo when you are off work.

I didn't even know there was a demo yet. I was hoping it was a Gears style game. Dang, I'm thinking I'm going to make the switch, hopefully based on the demo tonight. Thanks for the info.

derFeef

DryvBy2 said:
I didn't even know there was a demo yet. I was hoping it was a Gears style game. Dang, I'm thinking I'm going to make the switch, hopefully based on the demo tonight. Thanks for the info.
It has no cover at all, so Gears comparisons are maybe a stretch. Tell us what you think of it after playing the demo!

Alienshogun said:
Add the hammer one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRmiqaB-Fe4&feature=share

If you haven't seen it, behold awesomeness.
Yep... I still think the Power Axe is going to be my favourite - so satisfying to use in the demo.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
DennisK4 said:

To me Sanguinius looks a lot like Robin Zander from Cheap Trick.

Micerider

Mithel said:

Well, the Tau are kinda OK, they just want peace for everyone (they are just trying to military force it...which is already a failure :p).

Tyranids are not that bad either, they are just trying to find a new biomass to absorb...but after all, that's their natural way of life ^_^

Orks are probably the least "Jerk" of them all. They want to fight, but not really for a sadistic, selfish reason, that's just how they live.

The rest are jerks, all of them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Micerider said:
Well, the Tau are kinda OK, they just want peace for everyone (they are just trying to military force it...which is already a failure :p).

Tyranids are not that bad either, they are just trying to find a new biomass to absorb...but after all, that's their natural way of life ^_^

Orks are probably the least "Jerk" of them all. They want to fight, but not really for a sadistic, selfish reason, that's just how they live.

Xeno lover.

Yobalt

Micerider said:

Tau sterilize humans that they conquer. Boss Tau rule the other Tau by the use of pheromones, basically drugging them so they obey.

Tau are space jerks.

Herla

The Salamanders are "good" Space Marines, right?
And, in a lesser way, the Space Wolves too if I recall correctly...

JoeBoy101

Herla said:
The Salamanders are "good" Space Marines, right?
And, in a lesser way, the Space Wolves too if I recall correctly...

Well, good as in fighting maniacally for the Emperor and Mankind? Then yes.

Does good sometimes mean eradicating a planet full of Heretics/Xenos, even if a couple of billion innocent people remain? Yup.

Herla

JoeBoy101 said:

Does good sometimes mean eradicating a planet full of Heretics/Xenos, even if a couple of billion innocent people remain? Yup.

Uh I thought they were the only chapters concerned with innocent casualties compared to all the others.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
JoeBoy101 said:

From what I've read the Imperium of Mankind is sorta like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union during Stalin's rein. Corrupt, repressive, paranoid, and an arrested culture.

Top Bottom