• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Vilix said:
From what I've read the Imperium of Mankind is sorta like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union during Stalin's rein. Corrupt, repressive, paranoid, and an arrested culture.
All depends on which planet you live really.

hwalker84

legbone said:
yep. it may even be the darksiders II engine which is just an iteration of the first engine (if i remember correctly). they are getting really good cross platform performance out of this thing. seems like they have a really solid engine on their hands. i would like to see it licensed out since it seems to work better than ue3 for certain things. especially since they fixed the tearing issues the first engine had.
It runs and looks several times better than Darksiders 1 does on my PC.

daedalius

DeathIsTheEnd said:
All depends on which planet you live really.

As long as the tithe is flowing from the planet, they don't really care what is happening on that planet. Oh, and don't question the Imperial Creed either.

There are pleasure worlds that are paradise, but only the wealthiest of the Imperium can live/visit those. Most citizens are crushing downtrodden supporting the endless war effort.

Tacitus_

Kahoona said:
Has anyone watched that Ultramarines movie that was made? Curious how good it is.

It was utter shit. Looked and acted like a fan project made for school. And I usually enjoy a lot movies that GAF slams as brainless and bad.

daedalius

Tacitus_ said:
It was utter shit. Looked and acted like a fan project made for school. And I usually enjoy a lot movies that GAF slams as brainless and bad.

Space Marine's real time graphics seem to actually look better than the Ultramarines pre-rendered footage :(

I thought it was alright, pacing was pretty awful though. If I wasn't a huge fan of the universe, I probably would have a lower opinion.

Tacitus_

daedalius said:
Space Marine's real time graphics seem to actually look better than the Ultramarines pre-rendered footage :(

I thought it was alright, pacing was pretty awful though. If I wasn't a huge fan of the universe, I probably would have a lower opinion.

While I wouldn't go that far, Crysis definitely looks better and most importantly, animates better. The animation was so wooden. I've seen student projects that have better animation.
Then there's the voice acting. Utter shit too.
And the plot is kinda boring.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Tacitus_ said:

I thought the voice acting was pretty decent. The graphics could've been better. The story was meh.

It was avaliable to watch for free on YouTube for a while. But, since the SM videogame started becoming popular it was pulled.

Xater

Tacitus_ said:

Yeah it was terrible. If it had not been a 40k film I would have switched it off 10 minutes in.

JoeBoy101

Vilix said:
True true. I guess I meant the Imperium as a whole.

Okay, so Space Marines can...

-survive in a vacuum.
-spit venom.
-eat the flesh of their fallen victims to gain their memories. Is that right?

and this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZiCDVCql4&feature=relmfu

What else?

Faster, stronger, larger. Their bone mass is increased and their ribs have fused to a plate of bone in their chest. Natural low light vision. Their spit is not only venomous but acidic. They can enter into a short catatonic state to avoid sleeping. They can create scar tissue extremely quickly to stem blood loss. They have a third lung. They have a second heart. There is effectively a second liver to filter any posion and allow them to eat normally inedible food. There is a neural network grown into them that will interact directly with their armor suits. This allows them to act as if the armor is part of their body.

The wiki has it all, but here's a link to my post in the demo thread for a bit of an annotated list of the 19 geneseed organs that all Space Marines have: http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=30473255&postcount=969

Dyno

Got around to playing the demo last night and I had a lot of fun. Overall it's better then I expected. The space marine moves well and is a satisfying fighter.

AlStrong

Twinduct said:
Pfft founding chapter bs :p

More to the point, I've recently finished the Ravenor omnibus by Dan Abnett. I honestly don't care for the imperial guard anymore. Any decent (read not boring) novel fixated on one of the chapters?

Edit: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Horus_Heresy_Series <-- Horus Series looks meaty. My only worry is the different authors, does the story hold up well enough until the end?

The first five novels are a must IMO. Thousand Sons and First Heretic as well. Legion was a neat look at the Alpha Legion.

Fulgrim was quite memorable for me out of them all (also a very long read).

The Dark Angels HH books were kinda meh... Not my thing.

I quite enjoyed the Space Wolves and Grey Knights Omnibi.

deim0s

Kahoona said:
Has anyone watched that Ultramarines movie that was made? Curious how good it is.

Skip it.

BTW, does the game allow you not to be as spacesmurfs in SP, even just as a skin?

Xian

Neo Member
Castor Krieg said:
I want this to be successful so Relic can make a game about the Inquisition. RPG/detective story - that would be a blast to play.

If someone pulls this of correctly it will be best game ever. Ever.

Xater

deim0s said:
Skip it.

BTW, does the game allow you not to be as spacesmurfs in SP, even just as a skin?

No, except if someone does a mod to skin the guys. It's an Ultramarines story that's why.

Orgun

deim0s said:
Skip it.

If you mod it yeah. There was a mod out for the demo on day 1 lol :) I just finished another run through but with a Dark Angel skin

JoeBoy101

Twinduct said:
I wouldn't mind an Ork campaign ... hell any of the species campaigns would be awesome!

Well, given this is Relic, your chances are good. They're DLC catalog for the Dawn of War series is voluminous and solid.

That's ignoring all the PC mods we'll see. Hehe.

orgun said:
If you mod it yeah. There was a mod out for the demo on day 1 lol :) I just finished another run through but with a Dark Angel skin.

I did the bearded Space Wolf. Deathwatch is awesome as well.

Twinduct

JoeBoy101 said:
Well, given this is Relic, your chances are good. They're DLC catalog for the Dawn of War series is voluminous and solid.

I did the bearded Space Wolf. Deathwatch is awesome as well.

Yep. If Relic can pump out different legions into some SP and MP DLC, THQ might allow them to do another COH or homeworld :D

Here's hoping the MOD scene doesn't just exist of Textures :p

Gah, still annoyed that nothing of DOW3 has been shown :<

Twinduct

Ponti said:
If I have to play as Orks it must be as Kaptin Bluddflagg.
Personally an Ork vs Ork campaign would be glorious!
(Or Ork vs Imperial Guard).

Then again an engine like Kingdom Under Fire would lead to a much better experience with the Orks, than say a TP(A)S.

Gah I don't care, I just want more Warhammer pumped into my veins!

Decado

JoeBoy101 said:

Is this game going to be modable? Hopefully Relic goes all out and releases the SDK.

Tacitus_

Xater said:
No, except if someone does a mod to skin the guys. It's an Ultramarines story that's why.

Behold, Captain Titus of the Deathwatch:
NNDcX.jpg

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Deathwatch is hot .. but I'll be pimping White Scars online. Cause i'm a boss. And i gotta go ps3... too many of my friends don't have a computer that can keep up with this... and we MUST have an 8 man team of SM friends wrecking house.

Personally... this would go gotf to me if i could play as an Ork. Warboss in a campaign against either SMs or IG or Eldar... and Nobs online. I could see it working easily and ooohhhh GOD it would basically be daydreams playable. Lots of potential here.

Jamie OD

Erico said:
I like the quotes that basically tell the imperial guard that it's perfectly OK for them to die by the millions at a time.

"Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life."
"What is the terror of death? That we die, our work incomplete. What is the joy of life? To die, knowing that our task is done."
"The graves of the warriors who have given their lives for the Emperor now outnumber the stars themselves."
Et cetera.

I'd like to imagine guardsmen giving each other nervous looks in the trenches once the commissar starts spouting these lines.

I recommend reading "The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer" if you can find it. The book is filled with dark humour about how perishable the Imperial Guard are and how the troops are pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't. The book spins this fact to make it sound like a good thing.

JoeBoy101 said:
Well, given that to power the Golden Throne for the Emperor and the Astronomican, a thousand pyskers are sacrificed daily...

That pretty much sets the tone.

And what do daemons do? devour souls and life essence.

Well, good as in fighting maniacally for the Emperor and Mankind? Then yes.

Does good sometimes mean eradicating a planet full of Heretics/Xenos, even if a couple of billion innocent people remain? Yup.

Grimnar is pretty pissed at the inquisition for sterilising and and forcing all the soldiers and general populace of armageddon into labour camps after the first armageddon war.

Ultramar is one of the few thriving sectors of the imperium

JoeBoy101

fizzelopeguss said:

Well, technically, its not the Emperor devouring it, but the technology keeping him alive. Or more to the point, the Astronomican burning psykers out.

fizzelopeguss said:
Grimnar is pretty pissed at the inquisition for sterilising and and forcing all the soldiers and general populace of armageddon into labour camps after the first armageddon war.

Ultramar is one of the few thriving sectors of the imperium

I'm not saying Space Marines are single-minded. Just that they will destroy innocent things to complete their goals, if they have to.

Now the Inquisition? Just remove this part: ', if they have to.'

Tacitus_

fizzelopeguss said:

The EMPRAH wouldn't be that happy with the current state of the Imperium since he tried to set science and reason as the imperial dogma and tried to abolish religion (outside of the Cult of the Machine that is).

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I always kind of thought the only reason SMs didn't resort to exterminatus more often was simply because they would rather shoot and rend some shit instead of sitting in a battlecruiser bombarding the planet.

Also .. that power axe video was freakin great. "... If you die, it's not the weapons fault."

Eppy Thatcher said:
I always kind of thought the only reason SMs didn't resort to exterminatus more often was simply because they would rather shoot and rend some shit instead of sitting in a battlecruiser bombarding the planet.

Also .. that power axe video was freakin great. "... If you die, it's not the weapons fault."

SMs do not have the power to issue Exterminatus order, only Inquisition can do that. As a general rule the Inquisition doesn't give a fuck about Space Marines, they are only concerned about the taint of Chaos/Xenos/etc. Even then it's rare to issue an order, one Inquisitor (forgot his name) was branded a heretic and outcast after issuing exterminatus for a dozen of planets to stop the Tyranid advance.

Sober

Twinduct said:
I wouldn't mind an Ork campaign ... hell any of the species campaigns would be awesome!
I want Relic to maybe try demoing out other species campaigns as DLC to see what works or doesn't, because I doubt other races might translate well into the Space Marine gameplay if they are Eldar or Guard (though I think playable IG peaked in DoW1 IMO) but I think they could still do some kind of action game with the engine but for another race.

What I want to see and I've been asking for is something like Monday Night Combat/DOTA mode for MP -- i.e. players actually play the big dudes on their race SM/CSM/Nobs/etc while the AI sends streams of expendable troops like guardsmen/cultists/sluggas/etc at each other.

Ponti

VaLiancY said:
Why do Orks speak in an English accent? Just cause? I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. :lol
AFAIK the Ork voices in the demo were just placeholder (they used the same voices as the IG). They should be more Orky in the full game.

Xian said:
If someone pulls this of correctly it will be best game ever. Ever.
No doubt. Imagine having to act like a detective on a planet and finding out a majority of the whole world is corrupted. The game gives you an option of calling in space marines or the imperial guard to cleanse the planet or the option to use virus bombs to cleanse the entire planet. Man I can see it now.

derFeef

Ponti said:
AFAIK the Ork voices in the demo were just placeholder (they used the same voices as the IG). They should be more Orky in the full game.
Nah, its the same as in the DoWII games, maybe not that much grunt.

DUFFMCWALIN said:
No doubt. Imagine having to act like a detective on a planet and finding out a majority of the whole world is corrupted. The game gives you an option of calling in space marines or the imperial guard to cleanse the planet or the option to use virus bombs to cleanse the entire planet. Man I can see it now.
If you failed you could have what would probably be the most awesome cinematic ever, of the planet turning into a daemon world.

Top Bottom