• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Twinduct

fizzelopeguss said:
Orks are what mankind would be if we didn't have women, blokes sat around farting, fighting and drinking squig juice. You just know there's some orks out there buttfucking as well.

So basically Orks could be likened to our current youth? :p
I just love the ideology of Orks. They just want shiny things. There is no other agenda. No global motive or reason.

Satchel

Banned
I fucking love it when a game comes out of nowhere and amazes the shit out of you.

I'm surprised we never got a Gears mixed with God of War game before this, and yet it seems so obvious.

Take one fuck awesome game, mate it with another fuck awesome game, and play with the offspring.

I said it earlier, but they REALLY nailed the feel of this game. Controls are super tight.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
fizzelopeguss said:
Orks are what mankind would be if we didn't have women, blokes sat around farting, fighting and drinking squig juice. You just know there's some orks out there buttfucking as well.

No genitals.. no buttfucking ... i believe the Orky equivalent would be smashing the shit out of your neighbors face until it was pudding. Then eating it.

Salazar

Satchel said:
I'm surprised we never got a Gears mixed with God of War game before this, and yet it seems so obvious.

Lightning Claws DLC must happen. That shit would be intense.

CODyc.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Eppy Thatcher said:
No genitals.. no buttfucking ... i believe the Orky equivalent would be smashing the shit out of your neighbors face until it was pudding. Then eating it.

They may use a gretchin for sodomy though.

I cannot wait to see the inevitable coop/horde mode.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
<3 the Blood Angels stuff. I used to collect them as my main army (when I had the motivation to build/paint), one of the cooler Space Marine chapters imo.

Really looking forward to this game, I'm definitely getting it on PC. Just tossing up as to whether or not I should get the collectors edition. The art book looks delicious.

No chance...stunted growth, hideously irradiated humans turned into achilles esque chiselled warrior gods. The price of deliverence from your doomed, radiation blasted planet of baal?....you have to fight the most brutal wars for the next millennia as blood angels are long lived even by marine standards.

The wolves are just stinky viking wannabe's in comparison.

Plus the fact that sanguinius got such a royal good hiding from horus it didn't just kill him, it echoed through his entire bloodline. Good shit.

plus dennis is german, he naturally gravitates to the blond haired, blue eyed phenotype :p.

Man. This game. I just watched those weapon videos and holy shit. I've probably played the demo 25 times, but I just want to play it again right now. The only thing stopping me is that I want to be CRAVING THE SHIT out of it come September 8th. It's a pity I've got nothing else to play.

So, are the combat knives only available in multiplayer? If so, am sad :(.

daedalius

mickcenary said:
Man. This game. I just watched those weapon videos and holy shit. I've probably played the demo 25 times, but I just want to play it again right now. The only thing stopping me is that I want to be CRAVING THE SHIT out of it come September 8th. It's a pity I've got nothing else to play.

So, are the combat knives only available in multiplayer? If so, am sad :(.

Titus uses a combat knife in the campaign until he gets a chainsword ;)

daedalius said:
Titus uses a combat knife in the campaign until he gets a chainsword ;)

OH! Thanks for that, mang. So, I'm guessing you can't revert back to them? And I'm also guessing there won't be drop-pods later in the game with 2 measly knifes in them... Damn. There's just something awesome about dual-wielding little blades.

JoeBoy101

RyanDG said:
Space Wolves > Blood Angels.

Couple the Warhammer 40k mythology with a lot of Norse influences and we have a winner.

m530338a_SW_CodexOld.jpg

When painting my Sons of Russ up, I used this grey color. Always felt more appropriate than that weird blue-grey that is more blue than anything. Of course, the best Chapter isn't available.

legion-of-the-damned.jpg

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
JoeBoy101 said:
Legion of the Damned

I doubt the game would be much of a challenge if you were playing an invulnerable space marine that can teleport. You may aswell ask for the Grey Knights or the Custodes.

JoeBoy101

Saiyar said:
I doubt the game would be much of a challenge if you were playing an invulnerable space marine that can teleport. You may aswell ask for the Grey Knights or the Custodes.

Mmmhmm, mmmhmmm. Tell me more.

Salazar

Saiyar said:

Soul Drinkers. Play as Sarpedon. Melee destruction with huge arachnoid lower half.

It would be killer to play as a chapter on the brink of going over to Chaos.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Saiyar said:

Wait, what? There are factions that strong? What's the point?

daedalius said:
Collectors Edition unboxing (which my wife told me I was a giant nerd for watching)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5yTSh7m18I&feature=youtu.be

The box is sweet, but the actual contents are a bit shit to be honest. They have access to some excellent talent and the best thing they could put in the box was a purity seal? They really dropped a bollock not commisioning a GW sculpt.

WAR was a shit game but EA absolutely fucking nailed the collectors edition, they didn't fuck around.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Alienshogun said:

The Legion of the the Damned are the remnants of the Firehawks chapter. They are about 100 strong and slowly dying from a warp plague but as they die they get stonger.

The Grey Knights are a chapter designed to fight deamons. Each member is a powrfull psyker. Their leader spends his time between battles wandering the warp beating they shit out of deamons.

The Custodes is the chapter that guards of the empereor. Each is said to be equal to a marine Captain.

and the Imperium is stil losing.

JoeBoy101

Saiyar said:
The Legion of the the Damned are the remnants of the Firehawks chapter. They are about 100 strong and slowly dying from a warp plague but as they die they get stonger.

The Grey Knights are a chapter designed to fight deamons. Each member is a powrfull psyker. Their leader spends his time between battles wandering the warp beating they shit out of deamons.

The Custodes is the chapter that guards of the empereor. Each is said to be equal to a marine Captain.

and the Imperium is still losing.

For emphasis. You sometimes forget, and then you read one of the other army Codexes. Humanity is really up against the wall, despite all this.

fizzelopeguss said:
The box is sweet, but the actual contents are a bit shit to be honest. They have access to some excellent talent and the best thing they could put in the box was a purity seal? They really dropped a bollock not commisioning a GW sculpt.

WAR was a shit game but EA absolutely fucking nailed the collectors edition, they didn't fuck around.

Agreed. Great CE for WAR. The purity seal is kinda cool being a magnet and all, and though the box is really awesome, not much inside besides.

Alienshogun said:

Special units are toned down in game massively from the fluff. Although the entire GK codex was matt ward spess mahreen fan jizz. Terrible.

The custodes are the emperors bodyguard, the only figure of them was from the 80's and based off eldary looking dudes in this pic.

roguetrader_08.jpg

Current custodes are all the golden, baroquely ornamented dudes you might have seen.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Saiyar said:
They also haven't left the Imperium Palace since the Emperor was put into the Golden Throne 10000 years ago.

Think I might read some Let the Galaxy Burn before bed tonight. Looking forward to using my Force Sword in Space Marine that I got from buying Kill Team.

JoeBoy101 said:
Agreed. Great CE for WAR. The purity seal is kinda cool being a magnet and all, and though the box is really awesome, not much inside besides.

that grumlok figure is going up in price all the time on ebay as well, averages around £25-£30 these days, a couple more years and the figure alone will have paid for itself :p

I was blown away when i looked at the back page in the artbook and saw that it was a Black library product as well.

The whole thing was a real high quality set, definately not thrown together on the cheap.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I owe my 40k painter buddy a painting for his next birthday and was resolved to do him the Custodes ... would love to hear a little fluff, stories, images .. anything of the like to inspire/help the work in progress.

From what I have been able to find the war/assassination games they play sound wicked... they are inhumanly strong .. even for Space Marines and that they were some of the first to be genetically enhanced directly from the emperor himself.. not a primarch.

Anything else from some of you die harders would be greatly appreciated...

I want to get started reading into some of the 40k universe. I've gotten hooked on the lore from DOW2.

Should I just pick up a chapter omnibus or is there perhaps a better place to start digging into it from?

woooow, that demo was fun.

Now I'm really conflicted with whether I should preorder this or not. Damn good games...why must you cost money!

Orayn

Phanatic8390 said:
I want to get started reading into some of the 40k universe. I've gotten hooked on the lore from DOW2.

Should I just pick up a chapter omnibus or is there perhaps a better place to start digging into it from?
The overview on the Warhammer 40,000 Wiki, along with some of the book recommendations earlier in this thread would be good places to start. I enjoy the Space Wolf series myself.

Eppy Thatcher said:
I owe my 40k painter buddy a painting for his next birthday and was resolved to do him the Custodes ... would love to hear a little fluff, stories, images .. anything of the like to inspire/help the work in progress.

From what I have been able to find the war/assassination games they play sound wicked... they are inhumanly strong .. even for Space Marines and that they were some of the first to be genetically enhanced directly from the emperor himself.. not a primarch.

Anything else from some of you die harders would be greatly appreciated...

Just do an image search for adeptus custodes for an idea of what to expect, the book horus heresy collected visions has a decent amount of material also.

When the emperor was on campaign they served as his honour guard in battle, and red was their primary colour, after he was placed on the golden throne their colours were changed to black. And whilst they're politically savvy and know how to maneouver between the departments and high lords, everything they do is to protect the throne. They're not an army or organised and equipped like a marine chapter for example.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
they nailed the IP better than any other game has before, seeing the idea of orks as an entirely fleshed out set of enemies invading like that is a dream come true for my 12 year old self!

as for the gameplay
on normal the demo became EZ mode once I bothered to try using the adrenaline mode or w/e it's called.

The jump pack sequence indicates to me that the game will have some variety, which is so often lacking in shooters.

Salazar said:
lol no.

Ill-judged experimental colour schemes are my trademark. Motherfucker would be green.

I'm still holding out for that sprained ankle and Cadian paint-off combo. But that's for another thread!

Top Bottom