• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Jonm1010

Banned
steadfast said:
10ish hours for SP, Unlimited MP :)

That sounds acceptable. As long as the "ish" is more toward the 10 hours and above and less toward the "10 hours if you take your time on the hardest setting."

10 -20 hours is about my sweet spot these days.

Less than 8 hours I begin to feel i'm being shorted unless its an incredible game and other than Fallout, Demons souls and Oblivion I havent really been able to stay interested in a game past 20 hours this gen.

I guess I'm picky.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jonm1010 said:
Also has there been any talk about game length?

That will probably be the ultimate arbiter of whether I buy day one or wait a litte bit for a price drop.
I feel that the pacing is going to be way more important than the length of the campaign in this title.

derFeef

Jonm1010 said:
That sounds acceptable. As long as the "ish" is more toward the 10 hours and above and less toward the "10 hours if you take your time on the hardest setting."

10 -20 hours is about my sweet spot these days.

Less than 8 hours I begin to feel i'm being shorted unless its an incredible game and other than Fallout, Demons souls and Oblivion I havent really been able to stay interested in a game past 20 hours this gen.

I guess I'm picky.
Totally depends. There are games that overstate their welcome and go on forever (Alice). I would prefer a shorter campaign with lot's of variety, like Bulletstorm. That game was 8 hours and time flew because it was so diverse throughout.

Unity2012

Vilix said:
4 days. 4....Freaking....Days....

My same exact feelings, lol!

I've been playing the Demo between Deus Ex & Mass Effect 2 sessions. I find it amazing that after so many tries, it is still a lot of fun! and I continue to find different ways to approach the hordes.

There are so many great factions in the Warhammer Universe. The possibilities to add new enemies in the future and spice up the gameplay are unlimited.

I hope fans of the series support this effort.

Again, Kudos to Relic and THQ.

4 more days!

grendelrt

Twinduct said:
So ... any reason why the release date is only 'Sep 2011' on steam and not an exact date?

A lot info is missing on the steam page, dont think they ever updated it. Controller and Co Op are missing too.

Twinduct

SapientWolf said:
I wouldn't worry. THQ isn't Ubi.
More worried about that whole GAME thing from UK where they're blocking Digital Sales as someone mentioned Space Marine is also one of the games effected (Same as brink .. I think)

Jonm1010

Banned
derFeef said:
Totally depends. There are games that overstate their welcome and go on forever (Alice). I would prefer a shorter campaign with lot's of variety, like Bulletstorm. That game was 8 hours and time flew because it was so diverse throughout.
I agree. However I really soured on bulletstorn after time after time I kept getting momentum ruining or game freezing glitches and bugs.

I think the last couple levels ended up taking me at least an extra two hours because of all the glitches that made me have to restart checkpoints or restart the game entirely. I almost said fuck it several times.

grendelrt

Twinduct said:
Oh boy, hopefully it's just an oversight :<

Well controller support is in the demo and Relic have announced co op is coming as post launch patch, so I would assume everything is ok. Plus the game is steamworks so no copy will work until its activated through steam, so I would assume the Sept 6 date is good =)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Twinduct said:
More worried about that whole GAME thing from UK where they're blocking Digital Sales as someone mentioned Space Marine is also one of the games effected (Same as brink .. I think)
Oh yeah, it's possible that it will get delayed in the UK. You can't even pre-order there. But all the stateside blokes will be unaffected.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
SapientWolf said:
Oh yeah, it's possible that it will get delayed in the UK. You can't even pre-order there. But all the stateside blokes will be unaffected.
The Emperor favors the Yanks. ;p

Just saw the article about Space Marine's co-op. While I've happy it's getting a co-op survival mode, too many developers are overlooking the co-op campaign these days. Standalone co-op modes are great, but there's something special about playing through a great campaign with a buddy.

Note to developers: DO NOT overlook campaign co-op!

daedalius

Lord_Nergal said:
A Space Marine horde mode, eh?

Sounds more like a horde dungeon crawl from how it is described. You move through a level to different points which you must defend objectives at. Horde/last stand/dungeon crawl.

Just 3 more things I need to know and this is a purchase for me on Day 1.

What else do you need to know?

Nekrono

daedalius said:
What else do you need to know?
Length, which I hear it's about 10 hours but I don't know if it's confirmed.

If the game gets repetitive/boring in the campaing.

And if the MP is fun and lasts for a while, not something you would dump after a couple days/matches.

daedalius

LEGGZZZZ said:
I'm at work, unlimited waves that progressively get harder?

More like Last Stand from Dow2, there are missions with multiple arenas that you must clear with a certain amount of lives shared between the team, it won't last forever, but I imagine there are a lot of waves to clear to win. If its anything like Last Stand, probably 20+.

The single player campaign is pegged at about 10 hours if the playtesters are speedrunning and skipping cutscenes; at least that is what they say.

Obviously can't answer the other 2 yet.

Jinaar

Confirmed Info:

1.) Space Marine will have 4 player online Co-Op and will be FREE to anyone who purchases the game.
2.) Co-Op will be Space Marine vs. Orks & Forces of Chaos.
3.) All 3 Multiplayer classes will be available (Tactical Marine, Devastator or Assault Marine)
4.) Multiplayer Perks can be applied to each of the 3 classes that you have unlocked via Multiplayer progression
5.) Co-Op progression will apply to your multiplayer ranking (Unlocks perks & weapons)

6.) Co-Op will initially launch with 2 scenarios: Assault on Hab Center Andreas & Escape from Kalkys Facility. Each will include multiple arenas.
7.) Co-Op will be score based featuring global leaderboards. There will be score multipliers and dynamic challenges to help teams boost their scores.

Salazar

From that thread:

Alissa_Flash wrote:
@SLEDGE mr sledge! will it be playable solo? or less then 4 ppl? pleaseeee be yes!

We will go into more details around that as we get close to launch.

Oh, do it. I command you, motherfuckers.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Has anyone heard anything/seen in any of the videos if you can do executions in multiplayer? I'm curious how life is gonna work if they take that aspect out for online.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Horde mode? Expected but yawn.

This game screams for campaign coop, hell you have AI dudes following you around in the campaign, shouldn't be that hard to swap them out for players.

daedalius

I'd like campaign coop too, but I get a lot more play value out of horde/firefight modes tbh.

I'd only play through the coop campaign like, once.

Levels with multiple arenas/objectives sounds like a good way to break up the pacing.

grendelrt said:
You are missing some of the best books in the series. A Thousand Sons and First Heretic are both excellent and pretty much always praised. I really enjoyed Legion as well, but that one seems to be a love it or hate it with people.

Legion is also a goodun.

Sinatar said:

This game screams for campaign coop, hell you have AI dudes following you around in the campaign, shouldn't be that hard to swap them out for players.

One would think. I'm glad for the co-op mode we are getting, at least. Looking forward to playing through with the GAF Steam group. :D

hteng

Banned
Glass Rebel said:
Thanks, got the three of them for 18€ total from Amazon :D

they are the best books to get to know the early Imperium, the main character Gavial Loken was very well written.

after you've done with the 3 books, continue with the "flight of eisenstein".

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
antiquegamer said:
I got email from THQ that the game has shipped and on my way. I hope it get here this weekend.
Lucky duckling. I'll be pissed if it arrive before the game is avaliable for retail. I'm sur you won't be though. ;)

Played the demo and found it to be quite enjoyable. The satisfaction I get from ripping apart an orc using my machine gun cannot be properly explained.

Fjordson

My copy still hasn't shipped, though Amazon usually doesn't until the Sunday/Monday before.

On a total whim I pre-ordered the special edition for 360. I can't even remember the last time I bought a non-standard edition of a game. Probably going to regret it slightly, but oh well lol.

Also, slightly off-topic, but I'm about 3/4 of the way through the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus. Fucking great! Dan Abnett is awesome.

derFeef

Ah, last-stand-ish mode, great! This can be expanded in the future with (campaign) addons.

Sinatar said:

You don't have them around you always, though. Some campaign parts are tailored for you being alone - adding a player would feel tacked-on I think.

Herla

warhammer-40000-space-marine-20110901014321294-000.jpg

...is that a Power Fist?

edit: aw crap, it's just the hammer...got excited for a second...

Xater

Jinaar said:
Confirmed Info:

1.) Space Marine will have 4 player online Co-Op and will be FREE to anyone who purchases the game.
2.) Co-Op will be Space Marine vs. Orks & Forces of Chaos.
3.) All 3 Multiplayer classes will be available (Tactical Marine, Devastator or Assault Marine)
4.) Multiplayer Perks can be applied to each of the 3 classes that you have unlocked via Multiplayer progression
5.) Co-Op progression will apply to your multiplayer ranking (Unlocks perks & weapons)

6.) Co-Op will initially launch with 2 scenarios: Assault on Hab Center Andreas & Escape from Kalkys Facility. Each will include multiple arenas.
7.) Co-Op will be score based featuring global leaderboards. There will be score multipliers and dynamic challenges to help teams boost their scores.

Sounds great to me. I think this is the perfect scenario for a Space Marine game and should be quite fun. Also interesting that they say "initially", would be great if they support the game heavily.

FeD.nL

I just got my pc version in the mail :eek:.

Now let's see if I can play it *fingers crossed*

FOR THE EMPEROR!

edit: Ok, that's a no.. *sadfacepanda*

Herla said:
warhammer-40000-space-marine-20110901014321294-000.jpg

...is that a Power Fist?

edit: aw crap, it's just the hammer...got excited for a second...
I like how those armor skins really standout (the white one and the purple/green). Can't wait till the 6th!!

eshwaaz

ToyMachine228 said:
Just saw the article about Space Marine's co-op. While I've happy it's getting a co-op survival mode, too many developers are overlooking the co-op campaign these days. Standalone co-op modes are great, but there's something special about playing through a great campaign with a buddy.

Note to developers: DO NOT overlook campaign co-op!
I understand the sentiment, but I'd much rather developers focus on making the best single player campaign possible. Games that are designed and balanced for co-op are usually to the detriment of single player (Borderlands, Resident Evil 5, FEAR 3, etc.).

Salazar

zoner said:
Man, Dead Island has a preload but not this. What a world!

Yeah, it's messed up. So psyched for it, though. Had another few runs through the demo today, experimenting with proportions of melee and shooting. Can't believe how good the shooting feels; it's not just competent, it's terrific.

And yeah - the idea that a co-op campaign should be even close to being considered a standard element of games is bogus.

daedalius

Can't really see myself as anything but a hammer toting assault marine in the coop mode :p

Maybe a Tac with a stalker too.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Growing tired of waiting. This game better be worth it.

derFeef

daedalius said:
Can't really see myself as anything but a hammer toting assault marine in the coop mode :p

Maybe a Tac with a stalker too.
I´ll stand near my battle brothers, raining down destruction on our enemies as a Devastator with my Heavy Bolter.

Top Bottom